Drag Racing Mode

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 961 comments

Is it time for PD to finally include a drag race mode?

• Yes

Votes: 314 68.6%
  • No

Votes: 91 19.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 53 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think a drag event would be cool,one in begginer,amature(???)and pro. :dunce:

This is all GT5 needs, brack racing is stupid.

Anyway, drag racing in GT5 is a HUGE undertaking. To shove it in now would take a few updates from hell, I'm talking Blizzard sized patches. However, I don't think we'll see drag racing in GT5's future because nothing on the packaging or the Apex book that came with the Collector's Edition has anything about drag racing in it. So just from the stand point, this idea is shot dead in the water. BUT there hasn't been a successful drag racing game ever, in the history of gaming. GT6 could pick it up and it would only add to its plethora of motorsports - which could include touching an entirely untapped audience that could boost sales.

Drag racing in GT5...

Firstly, how would online really work? You have to think about free run (if this would even be possible), all of the differing internet connections, and there has to be a governing body or function somewhere in all this to make sure players know when its their turn and so there isn't any cheating. I don't think there is any kind of course implementation that could accomodate a "free run" mode on a drag strip.

Most likely, PD would have to host the drag strips themselves and we, the players, would have to queue up for races which I assume would be based off just PP. And it would only be 1v1 - perhaps there could be a lobby with queued players that can watch races until its their turn. It would be quite an interesting feature.

As for Aspec/Bspec - I would be happy for anything (except bracket racing, I don't think a lot of people know what this is). I would like a drag racing event in each teir of events (Amature, Expert, Professional, Extreme).

More on offline drag racing: I like how Sega GT implemented drag racing. You'd firstly race against something like 3 AI opponents the first time and then every time after that - you'd race against a ghost of your fastest time in the last drag race. Wouldn't mind seeing this in GT5. It promotes percise drag race tuning.

Overall, there would have to be a few new track additions, an entirely different mode which would actually be built/coded from absolute scratch, and then you'd have to revamp the tuning menus with drag racing parts, and even add a few premium models of liscened drag racing vehicles. This would take months to work into the game... and I think that would even be rushing it too. I would almost rather wait for GT6 to have a fully planned out drag racing mode.

Most likely, PD would have to host the drag strips themselves and we, the players, would have to queue up for races which I assume would be based off just PP. And it would only be 1v1 - perhaps there could be a lobby with queued players that can watch races until its their turn. It would be quite an interesting feature.
This along with a real life drag strip and a correct and functional tree would be great. If the lobby contains 16 players the first race simply becomes an 1/8 final, the winner in each heat qualifies to the 1/4 final and so on.

Drag racing in GT?

As long as you you don't need to do it to complete the game, knock yourself out.
Like it was in GT4

I'm afraid if drag racing was added it would suffer the same fate as NASCAR and WRC. It's like supermarket samples of food. Just enough to make you want more and there isn't anymore to found!

"Jack of all trades, master of none". :,(

I'm afraid if drag racing was added it would suffer the same fate as NASCAR and WRC. It's like supermarket samples of food. Just enough to make you want more and there isn't anymore to found!

"Jack of all trades, master of none". :,(
WRC is a joke, yes, but NASCAR has potential for improvement. Now you can at least limit the bhp to simulate restrictor plates.

The only trace of drag racing I can find in GT5 though, is the fact that you can enable false starts in online races. It just needs to be worked on a little bit before it can be used in an eventual drag racing mode.

Repost, I know, but I still think the ideal drag car for GT5 (or 6) would be the Dodge Challenger Drag Pak, simply because it's something everyone can buy in real life (if they have the cash) and it's NHRA Stock Eliminator legal.

dragpak.jpg

This along with a real life drag strip would keep me busy for a long time. I don't think burnout and staging is too much to ask for either. How hard can it be?

Last edited:
I had really hoped that they would have included drag racing in GT5 and am very disappointed that it wasn't. With that said, if it was included, I don't think it would have been implemented in a way that would satisfy most enthusiasts. None the less, it would have still been a fun addition.

To be fair...there are plenty of places where you can do kind of drags, so you can use them well.

WRC is a joke, yes, but NASCAR has potential for improvement. Now you can at least limit the bhp to simulate restrictor plates.

The only trace of drag racing I can find in GT5 though, is the fact that you can enable false starts in online races. It just needs to be worked on a little bit before it can be used in an eventual drag racing mode.

Buy Nascar 2011 for all of your basic left turn and crashing needs. Nascar shouldnt exist in GT5 along with drag racing.

Buy Nascar 2011 for all of your basic left turn and crashing needs. Nascar shouldnt exist in GT5 along with drag racing.
Why is that? Gt4 had drag racing.

Second, i think the drag racing we are doing now works okay, its called street drag. I understand that it can be problems to have a official drag racin online, due to people different connections etc. But the thing with false starts would work, like a "tree" with lights or something.

If you hate NASCAR and drag racing so much, why even bother coming into this thread in the first place?

Kids...

Why is that? Gt4 had drag racing.
GT4 didn't have drag racing. It had a 0-400m machine test/time trial on a fictional drag strip, nothing else.

SO i just say shifts drag race mode and the deff took my idea i had for gt5 drag mode wayyy before it came out... lol o well

I haven't seen this thread in a while. I think drag racing should be put in the game as well as mile long runs. I'd love to drag the Texas Mile. I do agree that the races should be organized, but I also feel there should be unorganized races for the less savvy drag racers.

Might be time to bring this thread back now when DLC is around the corner. Who besides me is all for a drag racing pack? They could at least throw drag strip into a course pack.

Holy crap, looks like Forza 4 is going for a more serious drag racing mode this time around. Looks like the Infineon Raceway drag strip is comfirmed, and the muscle car pack will contain two so called "factory racers" and one super stocker. The '67 Dodge Coronet W023, '64 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt and '68 Dodge Dart Super Stock.

namnlsdq.jpg
350xex.jpg

Please guys, vote for Drag Racing on the feedback page, so that PD hopefully will come to their senses and finally include drag racing!

Last edited:
Well, they did bring spec 2.0 update, but no sign of drag racing. Still keeping your hopes up, or you are moving towards the forza 4 territory? Since im having both consoles, i give fm4 a chanse.

Well, they did bring spec 2.0 update, but no sign of drag racing. Still keeping your hopes up, or you are moving towards the forza 4 territory? Since im having both consoles, i give fm4 a chanse.
Don't forget the DLC coming one week later ;)

Don't forget the DLC coming one week later ;)
When it comes to PD, i never forget anything. Besides DLC with drag implementation, i hardly think so. Even if they did bring dlc with drag, would it be free? And what kind of drag would that be, would a straight line 1/4 mile help, without a tree or individual timer? Well i suppose not...Im tired of waiting, because for one year, we havent hearn anything regarding drag race from Kaz or PD. And even if they bring drag race, would they bring drag compound tires? Not to mention the simplistic tuning options in gt5 either, and close to 0 ability to make your car unique. Baaaad...

When it comes to PD, i never forget anything. Besides DLC with drag implementation, i hardly think so. Even if they did bring dlc with drag, would it be free? And what kind of drag would that be, would a straight line 1/4 mile help, without a tree or individual timer? Well i suppose not...Im tired of waiting, because for one year, we havent hearn anything regarding drag race from Kaz or PD. And even if they bring drag race, would they bring drag compound tires? Not to mention the simplistic tuning options in gt5 either, and close to 0 ability to make your car unique. Baaaad...
All I need to be satisfied is a real drag strip with a functional tree and timing system (60ft, 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile times). Since Infineon Raceway may return as DLC, they should really consider making that drag strip available. Drag cars and/or drag parts would be great of course, but they're not needed in order drag race.

It will be very intresting to see how the drag racing is in Forza 4.

All I need to be satisfied is a real drag strip with a functional tree and timing system (60ft, 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile times). Since Infineon Raceway may return as DLC, they should really consider making that drag strip available. Drag cars and/or drag parts would be great of course, but they're not needed in order drag race.

It will be very intresting to see how the drag racing is in Forza 4.
It will be intresting, as fm4 now has "drag compound tyres". I hope not the drag is similar to fm3, which sucked regarding the traction on rwd cars. Sure, you could do the launch trick or slip the clutch, but still, the tires and grip to the drag track was waaaay wrong.

Latest Posts

Back