Drag Racing Mode

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 961 comments

Is it time for PD to finally include a drag race mode?

• Yes

Votes: 314 68.6%
  • No

Votes: 91 19.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 53 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We really need to start advertising that more.
Yeah ok, but how?

Jesus ******* Christ it bugs me they haven't implemented it yet. It's so simple it's almost scary. It's like they're not including drag racing just to **** with us. The false start system is already in the game, so what's so difficult about making a drag strip with a start and finish line and let us race head to head online? I seriously don't get it.

Browsed through this thread yesterday and found a tree I made about a year ago that I'd totally forgotten about. I made it within a few hours, using a free 3D-modeling (Zmodeler 1.07) program.

(Click the thumbnails for full size images)

I'm thinking about making a more detailed and up-to-date version just for fun. Maybe PD gives PD some inspiration if they see it.

Last edited:
That would be pretty sweet to have in game. Even if they just did it at Indy I would be fine.

Same. Everyone helse that wants drag racing in GT5, I'd advised you to link up in your sig as well.

Whenever I start wanting a drag race mode I play IHRA 2 for PS2. It is pretty much an engine building simulation. The gameplay isn't amazing, but I could spend hours building the nasty big block I always wanted.
I hear IHRA Sportsman edition is better, but I haven't tried it.

If they will include a drag strip with a functional tree, it would be very cool if they implemented Bracket Racing (also called E.T. racing) as well, in which you set a time (dial-in) that you think your car will run the 1/4 mile in. If you run faster than your dial-in (called a breakout) you lose, and if both cars breakout it's the one with the least breakout that wins. For example, if you set a dial-in of 10.65 seconds and the opponent sets a dial-in of 9.73, you will be given a handicap start of 0.92 seconds. The first car to reach the finish line without breaking out wins.

If you want to learn more about E.T. racing and drag racing in general, visit staginglight.com and click 'Guide to Bracket Racing'.

This is the optimal way to do serious drag racing in GT5 in my book. It let's you drive any car you want. You can for example line up a Fiat 500 against a Ferrari Enzo and both cars will have an equal chance to win.

E.T. racing is by far the most popular form of drag racing world wide for obvious reasons. It's not the one with the fastest car that wins, but the one with the best reaction time and runs as close to the dial-in as possible.

Last edited:
Bracket racing is such a different animal from heads up racing...

Suddenly the time you run matters a lot less than how much the car varies between runs.

It's equal parts skill and tuning but actually favors slower cars with better traction.

Bracket racing is such a different animal from heads up racing...

Suddenly the time you run matters a lot less than how much the car varies between runs.

It's equal parts skill and tuning but actually favors slower cars with better traction.
If you think about it, time never matters in drag racing really (except when qualifying). Bracket racing or heads up racing, It's always who gets to the finish line first that matters.

As I said though, what's good about bracket racing is that you can race any car you want and still be competitive.

If you think about it, time never matters in drag racing really (except when qualifying). Bracket racing or heads up racing, It's always who gets to the finish line first that matters.

Well, yeah. But bracket racing means the faster car isn't the one with the advantage, the more consistent one is.

As I said though, what's good about bracket racing is that you can race any car you want and still be competitive.

True this.

Well, yeah. But bracket racing means the faster car isn't the one with the advantage, the more consistent one is.
Consistency is important in any drag racing class in order to be successful, but you're right, it's slightly more important in bracket racing.

I love heads up racing too, but in order to have good heads up racing in GT5 I think they would need to add at least one real heads up class.

The REAL problem if we had drag racing is the lack of modifications. It's so broad at this point as well as dry. It seems like GT4 offered enough to really have diversity but there is no diversity to make drag racing interesting. If there was more in depth engine mods, having specific classes wouldn't be so bad. Slicks, 250hp class, 300hp FWD class, 500hp RWD class, 800hp AWD class, etc, it would add a lot of playability to the online for me. Even running heads up competitions would be really fun..

I think it would be cool just to have a dedicated drag strip so when I'm racing round Indy I don't run into kids going backwards up the main straight :/

The REAL problem if we had drag racing is the lack of modifications. It's so broad at this point as well as dry. It seems like GT4 offered enough to really have diversity but there is no diversity to make drag racing interesting. If there was more in depth engine mods, having specific classes wouldn't be so bad. Slicks, 250hp class, 300hp FWD class, 500hp RWD class, 800hp AWD class, etc, it would add a lot of playability to the online for me. Even running heads up competitions would be really fun..
Some front runners and 9" slicks from Goodyear (because Goodyear is already licensed) along with some drag wheels from Weld Racing would be more than enough as far as drag racing modifications in my opinion. Why only 9" slicks you ask? Because they fit in most stock wheel wells without any modifications, and this would save PD quite some time.

TD_DaveFicacci-ASA-Camaro.jpg

If they'll include drag tires, it would be a good feature to be able to adjust the air pressure. It's not needed in order to make a good drag racing mode though.

Last edited:
Am I going mad? I checked the forum earlier and spotted a post with a Bandimere dlc image… did my phone have a premonition? :D

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to have the ability to set a dial-in, so that we can have bracket races. In order for this to be possible we really need a proper drag strip with a tree.

Last edited:
Back