Drag tuning & Skidpad: Where?

• Thread starter Aeroron
  • 6 comments
Which track(s) can substitute for Drag strip and Skidpad?

SS7 does not have useful Timer splits.

Are there any tracks wherein a straight section is separated by timer splits?

You can make circuits with up to seven sections in the course generator. Just set the individual sections' complexity variable to low values and it should create a generic round ring, you might have to play with it a bit to get a favorable topography; it may go straight but have some some elevation change, Toscana or Eifel would probably work best.

To find timer splits is rough, but the tracks that I find the best success with is the GT and the Top Gear Track.

The GT one has a very long front stretch with a nice starting line just before the first turn. I don't know the actual distance, but from that starting line to the actual starting line (you'd be going in the reverse direction, just to let you know) is a good distance and I can run that with some good 6-8 second times with varying cars.

Not exactly a skid pad, but the Cape ring has two turns that work well for working out issues with grip. The inside sweeping turn has a moderate pitch and is long enough to cook tires at WOT. The downhill elevated loop is good for high-pitch turns and will reveal oversteer/understeer issues. Driving the loop in reverse (cape ring periphery) will help you work on picking power mods for lower pp classes as the turn and incline usually max out your engine at a specific speed. Changing mods will give you a little more speed. I don't use split times for these tests, but rather watch the speedometer and tire gauges.

Top Gear test track would be your best bet. As long as you don't use the runway as a skidpad and a drag strip at the same time you'll be fine. As far as timing splits go SSR7 and La Sarthe are the only ones with timers on that come to mind.

Back