Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
i hate asking for stuff like this as i know it's annoying, but I really want to switch to fanatec.

I'd love to work out something to get an invite.

The ClubSport Wheel Base V2 - Servo Power and multi platform
  • The day has come and I am proud to show you the brand new ClubSport Wheel Base V2.

69dbcfc69547d7e81719d9f15548f4.png

Although it looks familiar to you it has almost no part which has not been modified or replaced to make it a better base.

Our
    focus was durability, durability, durability and then performance. And
    while we made a radical re-design, we decided to make an offer nobody
    can refuse.

The smoothness, vividness and precision of a Direct Drive wheel combined with a torque increase of
    about 75% and (optional) compatibility to the latest gaming
    consoles. And all that with a moderate price increase.

Here are the details:

7 Ultra Precise
    We
    replaced the optical sensor with two magnetic high resolution hall
    sensors mounted on both the motor and the steering axis. The new sensors have double
    the resolution and the magnetic sensore are less vulnerable to dust or scratched
    code discs.

6 Smoothastic
    The cogging of this system
    cannot be felt by a human anymore. It is incredible smooth and feels
    natural and realistic. It is on par or better with the best and most
    expensive wheel out there although those wheels costs a multiple of the
    CSW B V2.
    Every little bump can be felt and effects which were
    filtered by the wheel mechanics can now be felt. Your racing simulations
    will feel different and new to you.

5 Rock Solid
    Our focus was to achieve high durability even for hardcore users.
    • Improved QR release with rubber o-ring and less tolerance in production
    • A brushless motor which can be cooled much easier as it gets hot on the outside and not on the inside so heat can be transfered better
    • New cooling system featuring an additional fan on the backside right behind the new huge heat sink
    • Integrated heat sensor inside the motor

Motor can now even be operated at 180 C° although the FOR overclocking would be de-activated already at 120 C° and FF would shut down at 130°C.
    The motor has plenty of power so most people will not use max settings
    anyway. And during betatests it never happened that a motor was shut down or the FF was cut due to overheating.
    • Ball bearings on the motor axis and bigger ball bearings
    inside the pulleys so we can increase the belt tension and avoid any belt
    slip. At the same time we have much less drag in the system.
    • Magnetic sensors instead of the optical so we avoid problems with dust and scratches
    • New main cable
    • New electronics
    • And many other small improvements to the overall build quality

4 Power. A lot.
    The
    new motor is custom designed and exclusive to Fanatec. Although the
    gear ratio has been changed to increase the rotation speed, it delivers
    about 75% more torque than the CSW B V1. This means over 7 NM of sheer
    power and this is enough to use even heavy rims with no disadvantages.
    The size of the power supply has also increased in order to feed the big motor.

3 Brushless Servo
    A
    brushless servo motor is currently state-of-the-art for force feedback
    systems and in principle this is exactly the same motor as the most
    expensive direct drive base units out there.
    • Smooth performance with no cogging (in combination with our Poly-V belt drive system or direct drive)
    • Easier to cool as the heat is on the outside of the motor and not on the motor shaft
    • Strong axis with ball bearings
    • Optimized for use in stall at max power
    • Fast acceleration
    • More efficiency -> more torque with same power

We
    had to develop entire new electronics for that motor as the motor
    driver is quite complex. Now that it is done we can easily use it for
    smaller brushless motors or a direct drive wheel.

2 Next Generation
    The ClubSport Wheel Base V2 is the next generation of ourwheel base but there is also a strong demand of wheels for “Next-Gen” consoles. People
    were asking us to make their wheels compatible to the Xbox One and
    Playstation 4 but if we want to make it official and legal then we need
    to follow the rules of the console makers and they clearly do not allow
    that.
    So how can we make a product where there is a chance that the
    customer can keep at least most of the equipment he purchased? We can
    easily make the pedals, shifters and handbrake compatible and this is
    what we did but what about the base unit?
    And how can we make a
    product multi-platform compatible if we can only get approval for a
    license if the product has only the symbols of either one console on it?
    We
    came up with an idea which brings modularity to a whole new level and
    protects your investment. If you play on PC then just go ahead and
    purchase the wheel base as it is and you will not be bothered with
    symbols which might hurt your eye.
    But if you want to enjoy the painless
    simplicity of a console with its great exclusive racing simulations then
    you will get the option to buy an optional steering wheel which will
    add full console compatibility to this base.

We want to achieve
    compatibility to both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 and we are happy to
    announce that we already signed a contract with one of them. We will
    announce this product at the end of this year.
    There will be multiple
    steering wheels available in different price ranges and they will
    compatible to several Fanatec base units from mid-range to direct drive.

1 By Invitation Only
    The
    great response we get from our beta testers lead us to the conclusion
    that the demand for this product will be much bigger than the supply. Production output will be lower as before as we spend even more time on quality control and testing.
    At
    the same time we want to honor the loyalty of our existing customers
    and want to offer a special pre-order discount for the owners of the
    current ClubSport and CSR Elite base so that they can enjoy a little
    upgrade advantage.
    This is how it works:
    • We will send an e-mail to our webshop customers with an invite code. There will be several waves of e-mails in the next months.
    • Only after you entered the code to your profile page you will be able to purchase or pre-order this product
    • After you purchased one V2 base you will receive a second code. You can give that to a friend or buy a second base.

Only one code will be given with a purchase as we want to avoid that
    people are selling their products or invites on eBay and make money with
    it.
    • We will also give away invites in giveaway events so
    frequent followers of the blog or Facebook will also get a chance to get
    an invite

This is the priority we will use for the invites to make it as fair and transparent as possible.
    1. Webshop customers of the CSW B V1 and CSR E (sorted by purchase date)
    2. Webshop customers of other ClubSport products like CSP or CSS
    3. All other Fanatec customers

Of course we will treat all territories with the same priority.

Not
    every customer will use his invite so go ahead and ask your friends if
    they use their invite of if they give it to you in case you are not on
    the list yet. It is possible and welcome to transfer invite codes.

Please
    do not ask our sales team for invites. They are not authorized to give
    out codes anyway. If it is your turn then you will get an e-mail. We
    will open a thread in our forum which explains more details and where
    you can also ask for invites from other members.

By the way, all
    lucky customers who placed a pre-order for the old V1 base just got a
    free upgrade to V2 and they are the first to receive the new product.

The Price

Pre-order price:
    EU: 499,95
    USA: 499,95AUS: 655
    J: 65.000

Regular price:
    EU: 599,95
    USA: 599,95
    AUS: 785
    J: 78.000

Prices are calculated different in the regions depending on taxes, laws, logistic costs and other local costs.

Availability

We
    started production this week and as soon as we start shipping, we will
    open the pre-orders for the invited guests. The first products should
    arrive at the end of September or early October.
" style="margin: 0px 5px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; display: inline;">0 comments 1 Like 93 views Most recent by David Muratori 11:35AMBlog
:banghead: 🤬 :banghead:

I guess it depends where you are.
In UK the VAT is 20%. 500euros is approx £400 (which includes the VAT). $500 is approx £300GBP so it costs us maybe £40 more, not a great deal really
Here in Canada it is 500 US $ + 130$ shipping + 200$ customs fees + 100$ VAT so it is about 1000$... Is it better ?

I guess it depends where you are.
In UK the VAT is 20%. 500euros is approx £400 (which includes the VAT). $500 is approx £300GBP so it costs us maybe £40 more, not a great deal really

For Euros, Fanatec is receiving the equivalent of 527 dollars after VAT (with current dollar:euro conversion).

http://www.vatlive.com/vat-rates/european-vat-rates/eu-vat-rates/

And it should be noted, that's figured at 20 percent. Most of the Euro countries are significantly higher that that. I doubt Fanatec is pocketing anything extra when it's all said and done. Many countries are 25 percent and some go as high as 27 percent. They're making more off the US.

Last edited:
For Euros, Fanatec is receiving the equivalent of 527 dollars after VAT (with current dollar:euro conversion).
And if you are an existing CSW owner you can pay double that to get the wheel we thought we were buying the first time. :banghead: And for being existing CSW owners we get to be the first to do it again. 🤬 :banghead:

http://www.vatlive.com/vat-rates/european-vat-rates/eu-vat-rates/

And it should be noted, that's figured at 20 percent. Most of the Euro countries are significantly higher that that. I doubt Fanatec is pocketing anything extra when it's all said and done. Many countries are 25 percent and some go as high as 27 percent. They're making more off the US.

I meant 'not a great deal' as in the difference wasn't a great deal, not a diss towards the euro pricing ;) People must accept exchange rate differences, always been an issue and always will I guess.

And if you are an existing CSW owner you can pay double that to get the wheel we thought we were buying the first time. :banghead: And for being existing CSW owners we get to be the first to do it again. 🤬 :banghead:

I assume you are not happy?
I got my CSW something like 18 months ago I guess and have never had an issue and loved every minute. Now I can maybe sell my base for £250-£300 (a guess at the moment) which means I get a new upgraded base for maybe £150.

I meant 'not a great deal' as in the difference wasn't a great deal, not a diss towards the euro pricing ;) People must accept exchange rate differences, always been an issue and always will I guess.

I know. I just wanted to point out that while it was only 40 pounds more after VAT, that was significantly higher than the Euro conversion. Once you throw in the hodgepodge of Euro VAT rates, the Euro and US prices are pretty much identical for Fanatec. They're basically pocketing nothing (or close to nothing.)

I know. I just wanted to point out that while it was only 40 pounds more after VAT, that was significantly higher than the Euro conversion. Once you throw in the hodgepodge of Euro VAT rates, the Euro and US prices are pretty much identical for Fanatec. They're basically pocketing nothing (or close to nothing.)

That's cool, I thought maybe you thought I was moaning it wasn't a great deal :)

If you are not planning on using the code to upgrade, I'd gladly take it off your hands

I assume you are not happy?
I got my CSW something like 18 months ago I guess and have never had an issue and loved every minute. Now I can maybe sell my base for £250-£300 (a guess at the moment) which means I get a new upgraded base for maybe £150.
I think the CSW v2 looks awesome, but no I am not happy. Havent been happy with my CSW from about 6 months after purchase. The info about what motors are in the CSW came to light about 1 month after I purchased mine. Had I of know it was the same ones used in the other Fanatec wheels that had been failing I would of never purchased the CSW, they had been failing in the other products since they launched. I have replaced the motor block in the first base, then had to have that base replaced with a new one and have replaced the motor block in the new base and still have a few more months on the warranty. Know they release a v2, directly because of the failings of v1. And because I bought the first one that fails I get to be first in line to buy again? Kind of feels like a kick in the balls.

How about offer me some kind of trade-in or something on my current CSW? I always said I would gladly pay to upgrade my CSW with better motors and Thomas told me directly that there was going to be no upgrades from Fanatec for the CSW. Well what the hell is the CSW v2? Again I feel like I was kicked in the balls.

I think the CSW v2 looks awesome, but no I am not happy. Havent been happy with my CSW from about 6 months after purchase. The info about what motors are in the CSW came to light about 1 month after I purchased mine. Had I of know it was the same ones used in the other Fanatec wheels that had been failing I would of never purchased the CSW, they had been failing in the other products since they launched. I have replaced the motor block in the first base, then had to have that base replaced with a new one and have replaced the motor block in the new base and still have a few more months on the warranty. Know they release a v2, directly because of the failings of v1. And because I bought the first one that fails I get to be first in line to buy again? Kind of feels like a kick in the balls.

How about offer me some kind of trade-in or something on my current CSW? I always said I would gladly pay to upgrade my CSW with better motors and Thomas told me directly that there was going to be no upgrades from Fanatec for the CSW. Well what the hell is the CSW v2? Again I feel like I was kicked in the balls.

What is stopping you selling yours and upgrading. Whether you have had issues or not you have had XX months use of the wheel so if you can upgrade for say less than £200 isn't that a good deal still? Isn't it all just relative? How much would you have paid Fanatec to upgrade your V1?

This is just my opinion of course and is probably biased because I've never had an issue with my wheel

tes to an end result at the rim of pulling 7Nm instead of the 5.2Nm which EKretz originally measured from the stock wheel.

Anyway, assuming the belts are configured to be more direct (since there's no more cogging from the brushless motor), I get that we could have a more direct feel. But it still looks like the motor will be rated for 100x less torque than the Bodnar, won't it?

The 7NM are the torque measured at the steering axis and not at the motor. The power on the motor is irrelevant unless it is a direct drive.

What is stopping you selling yours and upgrading. Whether you have had issues or not you have had XX months use of the wheel so if you can upgrade for say less than £200 isn't that a good deal still? Isn't it all just relative? How much would you have paid Fanatec to upgrade your V1?

This is just my opinion of course and is probably biased because I've never had an issue with my wheel
Because I shouldn't have to sell my wheel. The CSW was supposed to be what the v2 is or appears to be. That's the wheel I thought I was buying. A 10 year wheel, not one with $3 dollar motors.

I also went a couple months without a wheel waiting for emails and parts and pics and videos and UPS and the rest. So it wasn't all peachy.

Yes if I could upgrade for $200 or so I always said I would, even though I don't really feel like its my fault for needing the upgrade. But no no hell no I don't want to go through the hassel of trying to sell my current CSW.

Because I shouldn't have to sell my wheel. The CSW was supposed to be what the v2 is or appears to be. That's the wheel I thought I was buying. A 10 year wheel, not one with $3 dollar motors.

I also went a couple months without a wheel waiting for emails and parts and pics and videos and UPS and the rest. So it wasn't all peachy.

Yes if I could upgrade for $200 or so I always said I would, even though I don't really feel like its my fault for needing the upgrade. But no no hell no I don't want to go through the hassel of trying to sell my current CSW.

Fair comments mate..

Personally, I have a feeling there will be a lot of people happy to snap up V1 bases, that's what I'm counting on anyway :)

Fair comments mate..

Personally, I have a feeling there will be a lot of people happy to snap up V1 bases, that's what I'm counting on anyway :)

Same here. There are not that many for sale... so I am not sure what a fair price would be. $400?

Last edited:
The 7NM are the torque measured at the steering axis and not at the motor. The power on the motor is irrelevant unless it is a direct drive.
Yeah, I realised that (presumably?) gearing is what gives you 7Nm at the steering axis. It's rather tricky to get a complete picture on this because all vendors are using differing statements on the performance of their equipment.

So the Bodnar wheel (without gearing?) provides approximately double the torque at the steering axis, but that means in reality the major differentiator will be freewheeling resistance as much as pure torque. You've mentioned considerable improvements in that area (which is something both my GT2 wheel and my T500RS could do a lot better on).

It will be a very interesting read to compare user experiences of the CSWv2 with Bodnar and Accuforce competition, to see just how close it gets. If the CSWv2 gets 95% of the way there for much much less cash, it'll be a huge success!

Fair comments mate..

If you do the ebay or whatever I guess, but I don't. Only made a paypal account to buy my CSW haven't used it since. I believe there is money on it from Fanatec for shipping now I think about it.

Looks a bit out of my range and need, though I am sure that base is an awesome piece of hardware.

Will continue to watch for updates on lower budget bases and for the console compatible rims.

@Fanatec...

I have a few fanatec products (gt2rs, CSP, csr-e) , but being from Australia be I wasn't able to by them through fanatecs webshop as t it didn't exist in Australia at the time, the only thing I have purchased from the webshop is a CSS SQ (still on pre-order). Will this hinder my chances of getting an invite?

Edit: I hav also recently purchased a csr-e formula rim but as that's not actually sold in Australia at all I had to get a friend in another country to put the order through for me.

I'm sure there are other Australians that would also like to know

Back