Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
Haha, this is why I didn't really mention GT. The FFB as implemented for the Fanatec wheels at least in Gran Turismo (maybe because they don't have their own drivers for the sim?) is pretty "dead" compared to PC sims.

The wheels are still the full property of Endor A.G./Fanatec. So we can't sell them, but have to initially return them instead. Though this is up to courtesy of Endor A.G./Fanatec to change.

As you could read on the Fanatec blog there has been some changes to the motor. If those changes are highly critical it is best to ask the beta testers to return their wheels instead and if desired by Endor A.G./Fanatec to give them a different kind of compensation for their troubles. (E.g. Discount on a retail base)

Well then since I probably won't get an invite I'll enjoy the V2 Xmas of 2015. :(

Haha, this is why I didn't really mention GT. The FFB as implemented for the Fanatec wheels at least in Gran Turismo (maybe because they don't have their own drivers for the sim?) is pretty "dead" compared to PC sims.

Even if you grab the T500 it is still pretty dead.

Try a NFS Shift game if you have the time, Erik. Though turn off spring and damper on the wheel. ;)
I really noticed that it wasn't the wheel that was at fault, but just the crappy FFB implementation of PD.

The invites won't all go out at once guys, it will take a while - they have said they'll be doing it in waves, based on the order of purchases.

I have to admit during my testing it did cross my mind to try the V2 base with GT6, but honestly I couldn't be arsed.
As others have said the FFB in GT games is **** and I was a fan of the game from the beginning.
Having made the move to PC my eyes and ears are so much happier :lol:
As there have been so many awesome reviews all I will say is if you have the means, and you get an invitation
BUY ONE!
I had many RMA's with the V1 and often voiced my frustrations here, so it's only fair that I say what an improvement the V2 is!
OMG is the only thing that came to mind when I first turned a lap.
So powerful, I had to turn the Iracing setting I had for the CSW V1 down. In my opinion you will not need more power than a V2. I've always turned the FFB up usually to max in game setting as like others I like to feel the resistance and fight the wheel like a man should :lol: and personally I'm a bit of a fitness Fanatec :lol: I'm more than able physically. So you can trust me when I say it's a beast!
Smooth is an
understatement, it's hard to actually describe how perfect it feels in this respect. It just feels very realistic when combined with Assetto Corsa or Iracing. There was some cogging on the V1 but none I could feel at all in the V2
Having put many hours on the base I can say it does inspire confidence in it's reliability. I also noted no smell ie thermal paste or burning motors. Another big plus was the sound, I detected none from the fans at all, in fact the one's in my PC case make a racket in comparison, something I will be addressing soon.
I am very happy with the improvements to the V2 and would like to thank the Fanatec team for including me "The CSW Terminator" as @Mr Latte called me :lol:
This version is still going strong!

I never run SPR or DPR. They are pretty much permanently on 0 for me.

Same, but I leave them on initially usually as I want to know what a game uses exactly.
The thing with SMS games and even Project CARS still (I keep telling them to remove the junk FFB effects) is that somehow their code keeps adding a center spring for some reason via SPR. Its as if it is moved over from their game menu or something where they center the wheel via the center spring.

GT6 is really a horrible horrible and extremely terrible game as far as Force Feedback goes. For all I care Midtown Madness might have better Force Feedback.

So yeah, ****** game. What do you want to know exactly?

Is it so weird to expect some CSW v2 + GT6 impressions in the reviews of the wheel posted on Gtplanet forum ? ;)

You are obviously right with the GT 6 limitations in terms of force feedback so I think that the main question are:
- Does GT6 and its poor FF management kill the V1 -> V2 benefits you have all noticed on PC games ? Or do we see improvements also on GT6 ?
- More precisely, what about smoothness, precision, ffb power individually ?
- Ultimately, for Gt6 only simracers, is it worth compared to v1 ?

I have to admit during my testing it did cross my mind to try the V2 base with GT6, but honestly I couldn't be arsed.
As others have said the FFB in GT games is **** and I was a fan of the game from the beginning.
Having made the move to PC my eyes and ears are so much happier :lol:
As there have been so many awesome reviews all I will say is if you have the means, and you get an invitation
BUY ONE!
I had many RMA's with the V1 and often voiced my frustrations here, so it's only fair that I say what an improvement the V2 is!
OMG is the only thing that came to mind when I first turned a lap.
So powerful, I had to turn the Iracing setting I had for the CSW V1 down. In my opinion you will not need more power than a V2. I've always turned the FFB up usually to max in game setting as like others I like to feel the resistance and fight the wheel like a man should :lol: and personally I'm a bit of a fitness Fanatec :lol: I'm more than able physically. So you can trust me when I say it's a beast!
Smooth is an
understatement, it's hard to actually describe how perfect it feels in this respect. It just feels very realistic when combined with Assetto Corsa or Iracing. There was some cogging on the V1 but none I could feel at all in the V2
Having put many hours on the base I can say it does inspire confidence in it's reliability. I also noted no smell ie thermal paste or burning motors. Another big plus was the sound, I detected none from the fans at all, in fact the one's in my PC case make a racket in comparison, something I will be addressing soon.
I am very happy with the improvements to the V2 and would like to thank the Fanatec team for including me "The CSW Terminator" as @Mr Latte called me :lol:
This version is still going strong!

It seems it is really a great improvement, AC does not feel smooth at all with my CSR Elite, it is not bad, but you clearly feel motor inputs. rFactor is on another league when it is about FFB (in my case/wheel). I can feel the rubber friction when stopped, it feels real.

GT6 is really a horrible horrible and extremely terrible game as far as Force Feedback goes. For all I care Midtown Madness might have better Force Feedback.

So yeah, ****** game. What do you want to know exactly?

Never even bothered to even hook up the PS3 for the review.
Just simply game up on GT6 after playing it for a couple of hours

Is it so weird to expect some CSW v2 + GT6 impressions in the reviews of the wheel posted on Gtplanet forum ? ;)

You are obviously right with the GT 6 limitations in terms of force feedback so I think that the main question are:
- Does GT6 and its poor FF management kill the V1 -> V2 benefits you have all noticed on PC games ? Or do we see improvements also on GT6 ?

If you already have a csw and only use it on GT6 I personally wouldn't think you NEED to upgrade.
If you don't already have the V1 then it doesn't really matter as you can't buy it anymore anyway.
It's really up to the individual to decide what wheel he wants, basically GT6 is lacking.
The CSW V2 is awesome, and I think that next gen will have it's own drivers so maybe GT7 with a CSW V2 will be awesome to :)

Hence I never posted my review on GTP (one of the reasons), but just linked to it. That way GT6 isn't a mandatory thing to review, ;)

1. It doesn't kill the benefits, but it doesn't utilize them. The weight transfer effect, used as the only FFB effect in GT6 (apart from some curb and off-track rumble), is causing oscillation because the FFB is much much stronger than the G27 that the game expects. So because the G27 is made to be more tight around center to remove the FFB deadzone the CSW v2 oscillates a lot. Only way is to turn down FFB strength and fiddle with the settings until you are either comfortable with it, or that you are on G27 strength levels.
2. Smoothness - The limit is the G27 driver on the PS3, but its pretty smooth. Its basically the same as PC as the update rates are the same internally. The only hing that might differ is how fast the driver updates the wheel information (polling rate), but there is no difference. Both are at 500hz as far as I know.
Precision - The CSW v2 is as precise as on PC, as the read out internally doesn't change. The limit is again the G27 driver. So technically you can't be more precise than a G27 even though the CSW v2 is more precise.
FFB Strength - As said earlier the CSW v2 is far too strong and differs too much from the G27 for comfort in this department. This causes severe oscillation at default wheel settings and in-game strength at the default of 5. Again I only had the oscillation issue with Gran Turismo on PS3, so it is definitely a game issue and not so much a hardware one.
3. It is worth it as it allows an easy switch to GT7 at some future point. Is it worth it for GT6 alone... hard to say and I would tend to say 'no', because even though the quality of the FFB is better and the wheel is as friction free as a G27... you just don't even use 5% of its potential in GT6.

Regarding oscillation: From my reading on iRacing and ISI forums, the G25/27 only starts moving at a minimum force value of around 15% (as compared to around 8% for the Fanatec and Thrustmaster options). Turning up gain in the Logitech drivers above 100% is one way to reduce this minimum force gap, the other way is to implement a minimum force setting (such as is done in iRacing and rF2) which basically compensates for the gap and requests e.g. 25% force from the wheel when 10% force is actually needed.

My point to this is that if you overcompensate for the minimum force gap the end result is always oscillation on straights. So for instance in iRacing if your wheel has a gap of 8% and you were to input a 15% minimum force offset, you'd get heavy oscillation of your wheel.

The G25/27 implementation in GT6 already overcompensates for a 15% minimum force gap, as seen by the oscillation. Running a CSWv2 which likely has a tiny minimum force gap using Logitech implementation in GT6 is going to be nasty.

Regarding oscillation: From my reading on iRacing and ISI forums, the G25/27 only starts moving at a minimum force value of around 15% (as compared to around 8% for the Fanatec and Thrustmaster options). Turning up gain in the Logitech drivers above 100% is one way to reduce this minimum force gap, the other way is to implement a minimum force setting (such as is done in iRacing and rF2) which basically compensates for the gap and requests e.g. 25% force from the wheel when 10% force is actually needed.

My point to this is that if you overcompensate for the minimum force gap the end result is always oscillation on straights. So for instance in iRacing if your wheel has a gap of 8% and you were to input a 15% minimum force offset, you'd get heavy oscillation of your wheel.

The G25/27 implementation in GT6 already overcompensates for a 15% minimum force gap, as seen by the oscillation. Running a CSWv2 which likely has a tiny minimum force gap using Logitech implementation in GT6 is going to be nasty.

There is no (or at least a very tiny) force gap with a servo controller. The servo controller is calibrated for the motor and thus automatically compensates for that.

So yeah, if the G27 is being compensated by PD for that 15% than there is no way to get rid of the oscillation, since you will always be overshooting on the start-up power.

yeppers.. final thought ;) i reserved the money, happily awaiting the v2 invite and using the v1 as backup :D
hopefully with a nice 2014 (a3/a5) audi rim anytime soon:bowdown:

I'm seriously considering keeping the V1 as a backup too.

It's only a couple of weeks old and about the best backup wheel you can get.

For some of us, I guess the real question is wether to upgrade the CSW V1 to a V2, or put the money in the piggybank and save up for a direct drive wheel. For PC users who already have the V1, I dont see much sense in upgrading to the V2, based on the reviews.

For some of us, I guess the real question is wether to upgrade the CSW V1 to a V2, or put the money in the piggybank and save up for a direct drive wheel. For PC users who already have the V1, I dont see much sense in upgrading to the V2, based on the reviews.

Why do you think that? Cause its the opposite of what I experienced.
Or do you mean this in relation to saving up some more and going for a direct drive instead?

I'd be interested to try this new wheel out with a set of the new MPPC SimPedals on PS4 or XBox One...

I'm saying it again, thanks FANATEC FOR NOT SHIPPING TO ISRAEL:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:👎👎👎👎👎

I don't think Fanatec ships to Ukraine, Seria, Iran and any other war zone either. :indiff:

I'd be interested to try this new wheel out with a set of the new MPPC SimPedals on PS4 or XBox One...

Ooooh, never heard of those pedals but I am liking what I am seeing.:embarrassed:
I wonder if Fanatec would like to make us some hanging CSPs with maybe something like a perfect pedal build into it. :)

I always wanted a pair of hanging pedals though. I just prefer the feel of them as it doesn't require me to stretch my foot as much, and possibly strain it in the process.

Doesn't seem to come cheap though, although the price is not given of the pedals themselves the hydraulic brake upgrade costs 399.99 usd, and 42.50 usd for shipping the pedals. So I can imagine that these pedals would probably be in the 500+ range.

MPPC_GT_Pedals_Isometric2__86144.1405408997.1280.1280.jpg

Ooooh, never heard of those pedals but I am liking what I am seeing.:embarrassed:
I wonder if Fanatec would like to make us some hanging CSPs with maybe something like a perfect pedal build into it. :)

I always wanted a pair of hanging pedals though. I just prefer the feel of them as it doesn't require me to stretch my foot as much, and possibly strain it in the process.

Doesn't seem to come cheap though, although the price is not given of the pedals themselves the hydraulic brake upgrade costs 399.99 usd, and 42.50 usd for shipping the pedals. So I can imagine that these pedals would probably be in the 500+ range.

MPPC_GT_Pedals_Isometric2__86144.1405408997.1280.1280.jpg

I have the set with brackets that mount directly to the Obutto Ozone. They are quite nice... And they plug directly into all the current wheels on the market today. Makes racing on the console much more enjoyable. :) I'm not a reviewer though... I'm sure at some point in the near future someone will take care of that.

I have the set with brackets that mount directly to the Obutto Ozone. They are quite nice... And they plug directly into all the current wheels on the market today. Makes racing on the console much more enjoyable. :) I'm not a reviewer though... I'm sure at some point in the near future someone will take care of that.

Talking about rigs. I need a new one and you know why if you read my review today. :scared:
Can't wait to see some reviews though. They seem like a real joy. Although I am not a console racer.

Talking about rigs. I need a new one and you know why if you read my review today. :scared:
Can't wait to see some reviews though. They seem like a real joy. Although I am not a console racer.

Well, they are PC and console actually. As for the price, it's hard to say... However, a lot of people seem pretty excited about the prospect of purchasing a $500 base and a $250 to $400 rim they can use on a PC and console. :)

Back