Fanatec CSR Elite Review: A League of its Own

• Thread starter amar212
  • 211 comments
Great work, i really got a sense of how the wheel feels. I've had a T500RS for only 3 weeks, maybe that purchase was a bit rash? DOH!!!

VWMasteR
How is the frex shifter connected?

Likely on a PC through the USB. The only way to connect a Frex, SST or a TH8 directly to a Fanatec wheel is using an Interfaceone adapter PCB.

Awesome, no doubt. But for that price, there are a lot of other things I'd buy first. Way out of my price range for a gaming accessory.

exciting stuff, what the counter steer speed like, obviously not as fast as the t500 but how much quicker is it compared to gt2 please?

The wheel is much faster than GT2, but the main advantage over GT2 is smoothness and strength of the FFB. As far as countersteer is concerned, it feels more detailed than on T500RS because of the additional strength of the FFB that you gain during countersteering.

nice review, thank you!
The cockpit looks very nice.. what's the price of this?

I am not sure, you can check it with directly at www.rinoseats.com. Since I am from Croatia, and Rinoseat GTR is a genuine Croatian product, prices are bit lower here because of the taxes and lack of shipping/export costs. But I think it starts somewhere around 250 euros, depending of the options.

thanks for the review. it's a nice wheel but i strongly believe that the CSW will be even better for iracing, GT5 and the simbin's upcoming GTR3

As far as I know - and it would be great if Thomas could actually confirm this - CSR Elite and CSW share the same mechanics and construction. Difference is ability of CSW to interchange rim on-the-fly and actual functions you will get PC-wise.

How is the frex shifter connected?
Likely on a PC through the USB. The only way to connect a Frex, SST or a TH8 directly to a Fanatec wheel is using an Interfaceone adapter PCB.

No. Frex offers Shifter+ in version without input-module (bare-wire). I used PS/2 cable that came with my ordinary Fanatec Shifters, cut it and solder it on the bare-wire of the Shifter+. Than you plug it directly into any Fanatec wheel (prior to CSRE i used it on my Fanatec GT2). With soldering of both wires you can determine your sequential-shifting style (down/higer gear or contrary).

Rally FFB is the worst part on GT5. Is improved with this wheel or not??. I mean should be interesting a comparison on few surfaces, snow, tarmar, dirt.... Thanks in advance

Different people, different taste :) I find rally FFB in GT5 very good. It is definitely different than any other - especially RBR for example - but I always enjoyed rallying in GT series because of distinctive feel of FFB on different surfaces.

CSRE have one great feature which is very handy for GT5 rally - you can adjust FFB strength on-the-fly. Since GT5 default FFB strength for rally is very intense, you can play with the on-the-wheel setting until you reach desired level of both FFB and vibration without going into the Option-menu. Same goes for drifting for example.

If you don't like feel of rally in GT5, no wheel can improve that for you :) But I suggest you give it a go - it is really a very different from all other rally games out there, but there is something really special about it that starts to feel good once you adjust the driving style to its logic.

Last edited:
wow, what an amazing review of a great product. I've got my test wheel sitting on my rig waiting for the arrival of my CSR elite pedals and clubsport table clamp, these impressions are making even that short wait nearly unbearable.

Awesome, no doubt. But for that price, there are a lot of other things I'd buy first. Way out of my price range for a gaming accessory.

This wheel isn't meant to appeal to casual gamers. There are other wheels that are designed with more budget-minded people in mind.

The CSR-Elite and Clubsport Wheel are meant to be the top of the line offerings from Fanatec designed for the sim racer who wants the best without spending $2500+ on a ECCI or other high priced wheel.

For me, the price of the CSR-E/CSW + Pedals is an absolute bargain!

Thanks Amar. Nice to see they have streamlined the wiring to the back.

A bit concerned about linearity from Forza working fine without adjustment. I know it's down to personal preference here but linearity 20 takes away a lot of twitchyness around the TDC of the wheel. This is software related not hardware.

I would like Thomas's clarification on this matter if possible.

Thanks again for taking the time Amar.

amar212 you compare a lot this wheel at T500RS.

So some quick questions: you said "I had a Thrustmaster T500RS for a 2-week comparison and testing in GT5".

Do you mean that it was several months ago? (and therefore no comparison test in real time)
What was the version of GT5 at this time?
On PS3 do you have try T500 in other games (Dirt3, Nascar 2011, F1 2011) with different ForceFeedback?
Do you have try T500 with F1 Wheel (because ForceFeedback is really different with this wheel)?
Do you have try T500 on PC with "Hardware Embedded Effects" (for example in Richard Burns, GTR Evo/RaceOn, NetKar-Pro or GameStockCar?)

amar212 you compare a lot this wheel at T500RS.

So some quick questions: you said "I had a Thrustmaster T500RS for a 2-week comparison and testing in GT5".

Do you mean that it was several months ago? (and therefore no comparison test in real time)
What was the version of GT5 at this time?
On PS3 do you have try T500 in other games (Dirt3, Nascar 2011, F1 2011) with different ForceFeedback?
Do you have try T500 with F1 Wheel (because ForceFeedback is really different with this wheel)?
Do you have try T500 on PC with "Hardware Embedded Effects" (for example in Richard Burns, GTR Evo/RaceOn, NetKar-Pro or GameStockCar?)

Exactly, I had it prior to the Spec 2.0 update in GT5 and prior to the last T500RS firmware update.

Mr. Latte and other guys with the CSRE will conduct a full comparison of both wheels in the real-time, I am not able to do that before next week when I will finally get my T500RS for good. That is the main reason I somewhat sustained to make a deeper comparison of the wheels and instead shift my focus on overall feel and features-highlightning.

During my PS3 testing of T500RS no other game besides GT5 was supporting it. I have a plan of getting both F1 rim/shifter for T500RS, but first I have to cram another cockpit in my gaming room (that will be 3 cockpits in one room, smh).

As for PC, I am not a PC user, nor a PC gamer. I stopped playing on PC more than a decade ago, but I might come back once I see what ISI done with rFactor 2, that is the first PC game I am interested in after 1999. As I said in the opening of my review, it is only aimed at consoles. I leave the PC overview to some other members/users since I am not familiar with the current state of PC-racing at all.

👍

Exactly, I had it prior to the Spec 2.0 update in GT5 and prior to the last T500RS firmware update.

Mr. Latte and other guys with the CSRE will conduct a full comparison of both wheels in the real-time, I am not able to do that before next week when I will finally get my T500RS for good. That is the main reason I somewhat sustained to make a deeper comparison of the wheels and instead shift my focus on overall feel and features-highlightning.

During my PS3 testing of T500RS no other game besides GT5 was supporting it. I have a plan of getting both F1 rim/shifter for T500RS, but first I have to cram another cockpit in my gaming room (that will be 3 cockpits in one room, smh).

As for PC, I am not a PC user, nor a PC gamer. I stopped playing on PC more than a decade ago, but I might come back once I see what ISI done with rFactor 2, that is the first PC game I am interested in after 1999. As I said in the opening of my review, it is only aimed at consoles. I leave the PC overview to some other members/users since I am not familiar with the current state of PC-racing at all.

👍

Not that there is anything wrong with console gaming, but you are really doing yourself a disservice by not trying PC racing sims. First and foremost, iRacing, but if you don't want to spend the monthly service/content fees, there are several other sims out there that absolutely beat the pants off of GT5/Forza/Shift. rFactor (and the upcoming 2), GTR2 (and upcoming 3), Live For Speed, NetKar Pro, C.A.R.S. (in development), the Race series (Race 07, Injection, etc), and more.

You don't need an incredible PC to run most of those games. A basic PC you can buy at any store with a cheap upgraded graphics card will run most of these games very well.

With three cockpits in your game room, it's a shame not to have a cheap little PC on at least one of them.

That's a lot of money for only the wheel. And I'm amazed that there's still no option to get a handbreak? Have the companies who makes these things forgotten that cars have those?

I'm sure the wheel is amazing, but I still think it's way over priced considering what you get.

That's a lot of money for only the wheel. And I'm amazed that there's still no option to get a handbreak? Have the companies who makes these things forgotten that cars have those?

I'm sure the wheel is amazing, but I still think it's way over priced considering what you get.

Well, for *most* competitive sim racing the handbrake is not a required item. Now of course it is applicable to things like rally racing, and there are handbrakes specifically built for those situations (although they only work with PC as far as I know). I know drifting is getting more popular in racing games now, so maybe we'll see it included in the future, but I doubt it.

It's not so much that manufacturers don't want to make a handbrake, it's that console games normally don't support it.

Oh, and this wheel is a BARGAIN! You have to look at the construction of the wheel, the technology, the included features, etc, etc.

You are correct these wheels are expensive no way around it, but as you stated "for what you get'. Thats the key here for you what YOU get might not be worth the price, but for what ANOTHER gets could very well be a bargin. Its all in how you look at it.

Superb review! Thanks amar . I really love all the history u wrote which is such interesting read! Bravo man! Seem like we hv got the ultimate one wheel!

Enjoyed reading this Amar. Superbly written nicely detailed and well presented.
You clearly describe the wheels materials, build and performance expressing a passionate yet enjoyable report I agree with in a lot of ways, almost in every comment but not quite all. Really do like your excellent variation in games tried and the amount of testing you have already done.

I would like to query your comment about these motors being stronger? Are they different spec to the motors used in the Porsche range? I found it rather frustrating at times trying to get detailed information on the product and only minimal detail regards technical information. Part of me got the impression Fanatec would rather avoid paper/technical comparisons on specs to other products. From a review and tester perspective with an interest in the technology I would of liked more info regards the products components.

Their are some things you and I differ from each other in opinion and I have a few more minor or different criticisms. We have been fortunate with the additional time we have been able to test the wheel but I won't yet report on my own thoughts and some of the direct comparisons to the T500. I have yet to be sent the latest firmware yet asked 3 times for up to date firmware during the testing period. When I get that then I would like to finalise my own play tests and complete my own report within the next week or so.

Last edited:
I think Amar should send you the update for the firmware himself so you can get cracking on that final report!

Not that there is anything wrong with console gaming, but you are really doing yourself a disservice by not trying PC racing sims. First and foremost, iRacing, but if you don't want to spend the monthly service/content fees, there are several other sims out there that absolutely beat the pants off of GT5/Forza/Shift. rFactor (and the upcoming 2), GTR2 (and upcoming 3), Live For Speed, NetKar Pro, C.A.R.S. (in development), the Race series (Race 07, Injection, etc), and more.

You don't need an incredible PC to run most of those games. A basic PC you can buy at any store with a cheap upgraded graphics card will run most of these games very well.

With three cockpits in your game room, it's a shame not to have a cheap little PC on at least one of them.

+1
PC racing is the pinnacle! Amar, you owe it to yourself to have a cheap PC rig setup!
:)

Thanks for the CSRE writeup! Now I am off to find more info on how the wheel works with PC games!

The formula force gp came out after the formula force. The formula force had a belt drive too (unlike the gp or microsoft.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...itechffwheel-1.html+&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Yes, but it wasn't cheap, which I wanted to address because of what Amar said in his review.
We can be sure that the cheaper the FFB wheels became the faster people bought one and started to enjoy playing such games on their computers or consoles.

First great revolution in field of FFB came in early 2001, when Logitech launched their budget-series of Driving Force wheels, which corresponded with worldwide release of Gran Turismo 3 game.

The pricetag of the Formula Force was F 379,- gulden (in the Netherlands) back then for me or what I found at Anantech, $179,95.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/281/3
Price
The Logitech Wingman Formula Force checks in at $179.95 (MSRP). That's a pretty strong price tag, but the Wingman is a pretty strong product.

Also I found something interesting at Amazon.com. It seems the database at Amazon had issues with the millenium bug and the remainder is still there... (i found the date hard to believe... lmao)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00001W022/?tag=gtplanet-20
Date first available at Amazon.com: September 4, 1973

Last edited:
Yes, but it wasn't cheap, which I wanted to address because of what Amar said in his review.
We can be sure that the cheaper the FFB wheels became the faster people bought one and started to enjoy playing such games on their computers or consoles.

The pricetag of the Formula Force was F 379,- gulden (in the Netherlands) back then for me or what I found at Anantech, $179,95.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/281/3

Also I found something interesting at Amazon.com. It seems the database at Amazon had issues with the millenium bug and the remainder is still there... (i found the date hard to believe... lmao)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00001W022/?tag=gtplanet-20

Here in the states the street price for the Formula Force was 99 bucks. Yes, that is cheap. The GP only existed to undercut the sidewinder. It worked well enough that they phased out the formula force because the belt drive was too expensive.

Now I'm very anxious to see a head to head comparison between the CSR-E and the CSW. I wonder if the extra features the CSW offers will be enough to sway people away from the CSR-E?

ibuycheap
Here in the states the street price for the Formula Force was 99 bucks. Yes, that is cheap. The GP only existed to undercut the sidewinder. It worked well enough that they phased out the formula force because the belt drive was too expensive.

I didn't know the street price there nor could I find it on a whim earlier. I knew the GP wasn't the superior product though and the belt drive being to expensive. That wasn't the point. There was talk about a budget range wheel, which was the aim with the GP and the first one from Logitech before the Driving Force range.

On another topic. It will be interesting to see if Logitech is going to go back to their original belt drive designs with their next wheel. They'll have to if they want to be competitive. Or will they use chains instead of belts? I am thinking about drive belts in cars here. BMW uses chains cause they are more durable and slip less in the long run.

Anyhow I will be keeping an eye on them next year to see if they will take action or not.

I did not like the fact how wheel-rim is made out of the interconnected pieces, because strong tension and pressure on the rim during long sessions results with feel of small bending on connection-points.

Nice review Amar. Can you explain more in detail what you mean here? I know the wheel is seamed together, but can you hear a crunch sound by squeezing hard enough? I'm not sure why this was a necessary design other than the purpose of the vibrating motors???

I'm really in the middle of choosing between this and the t500rs. I can't recall how many times I look at the t500rs in my Amazon shopping cart while my mouse hovers over the Buy button :confused:

Last edited:
Back