Fanatec CSW/CSR Elite Modders Thread *UPDATE February 2014*

• Thread starter eKretz
  • 3,600 comments
Sure, do a linearity test with the Wheelcheck program when cold and then after running an hour long race. Guarantee you'll see a difference.

Any way to get Wheelcheck without an iRacing membership? I have searched for it but nada.

Not a good enough reason to get iRacing. :)

iRacing is way over-rated imo, the graphics are just hideous, the physics are too oversteery and it's the most expensive sim in history.

Jerome

Yeah it's not really ideal on the oversteer situation, I definitely agree on that. I'm always super tense when racing iRacing, heh. Always feel like you're right in the verge of spinning. When you get your speed and line just perfect the FFB is pretty good though. It's just that there always seems to be a little oil slick following your rear tires around, lol.

Yeah it's not really ideal on the oversteer situation, I definitely agree on that. I'm always super tense when racing iRacing, heh. Always feel like you're right in the verge of spinning. When you get your speed and line just perfect the FFB is pretty good though. It's just that there always seems to be a little oil slick following your rear tires around, lol.

Maybe they've added engine and coolant leakage that's getting on your rear tires. :)

Last edited:
iRacing is way over-rated imo, the graphics are just hideous, the physics are too oversteery and it's the most expensive sim in history.

Jerome
Its the online racing that keeps me paying them. If another pc game can even come close to how Iracing has their online competition setup me and a whole lot of other folks would be all over it. I think though the only way to maintain that type of online competition you will need a monthly fee.

By the way I talked to David Tucker from iRacing and he is okay with people getting Wheel Check even if they aren't iRacing members. He only asks if anyone finds any new information, etc. using the program to share it with everybody. So if anybody wants a copy just PM me your email address.

By the way I talked to David Tucker from iRacing and he is okay with people getting Wheel Check even if they aren't iRacing members. He only asks if anyone finds any new information, etc. using the program to share it with everybody. So if anybody wants a copy just PM me your email address.

That is very nice from David Tucker,:bowdown:, and for you for having the innitiative and take the time to ask, 👍.
Good to know, this thread is the best ever.:gtpflag:

I bookmarked this thread sometime last year and have been checking in on it from time to time since then. I felt it was time to register and post a public "thanks!" to everyone (especially Eric) for posting such great information, mods, and services in this forum. This thread fuels my Fanatec loyalty more than Fanatec does, if that makes any sense.

Fanatec has a new blog up with new forums to follow. I commented in one of their posts about how I was hoping for a "parts" section of their store but I'm not really expecting much out of it. I have the new shifter preordered and it's said to be releasing (here in the states) this month. This is exciting, but it also amplifies my anxiety about the life left in my wheel, which is currently out of warranty. It's starting to let out little squeaks like the one in the video a few pages back.

All I want is some peace of mind! It's odd how that's so hard to get with this thing. I want to enjoy it like I did when it was new; Like I did before I learned of the frailty of the stock motors. I love my CSR-E but I am constantly hesitant to use it and that is just dumb.

Eric, from what I can tell you are still working with people and taking orders for parts & services? I'll be sending you a PM shortly with where my head is at. The work you are doing here is great and I'd like to get on board.

Last edited by a moderator:
.... This thread fuels my Fanatec loyalty more than Fanatec does, if that makes any sense..........

Makes total sense to me, I feel exactly the same.:)
Fanatec had the opportunity to be pro-active and turn the issue with the motors in an opportunity, they choose to try to put the dust under the rug and left the door open for the competition and people with initiative.
Their is nothing wrong with making honest mistake, they can even prove your integrity and lead to better thing. Half truth and opacity never work long term, not in this day and age of communication. I hope every one learns from Wikileaks.:mischievous:

Had a few spare minutes to throw this together tonight after spending all day at the emergency room with my 2 year old son today. Lightened steering shaft pulley - went from ~7.5 oz to ~5.2 oz. Added two grooves and switched to a 6-rib belt to see how it feels with reduced belt tension and hopefully equal or better grip. Good god I am tired tonight. I'll lighten the reduction pulley another time.

Yeah he's all better today. He was up screaming and crying all night Saturday starting from about 2 a.m. until I took him to the hospital at noon. He couldn't pee and hadn't gone for over 12 hours. The docs said he had something like 300mL of it in there and the normal threshold for a kid his age to feel a full bladder is like 50-60mL. Luckily the problem is fixed now and he's back to his happy self.

That is very good to hear , Eric.

I noticed something with my FF on iRacing this weekend when I changed to the 181(beta) driver from 177. The FF was a lot lighter in the turning and hitting the curbing compared to the same settings for the 177. I was wondering if anybody that is racing iRacing notice this also. I switched back to 177, couldn't catch my spins with the wheel that loose.

Last edited:
You mean the driver, right? I really wish they would document the changes they make better. Sometimes it seems like they change things that they don't publicize, like what you discovered. I hate when they make changes to the way the wheel feels but don't state that in the description/changelog.

How do we check which driver we are using again?
For Win7:

Open Control Panel, double click Devices and Printers. Right click ClubSport Wheel and click Game Controller Settings.

In Game Controllers select ClubSport Wheel and click Properties to open Fanatec Wheel Properties. Click Update tab which shows installed driver version.

I'm using 144. Didn't like 177 but I can't remember why. Hey Derickh, where'd ya get 181. Don't see that at Fanatec Downloads.

I have the same power adapter, it's been great.

I ordered some dry lube and replacement parts for my Elite brake pedal, but it looks like they won't be here in time for the next GT Academy that starts next week. It's borderline atm, almost too much effort to start to brake. Sometimes it's good in that I don't slow down as much, but then I either miss an apex or go wide because I didn't slow down enough.

I'll post some links once I finish maintaining my pedals.

I can't even begin to describe my wife's face when I said I needed some dry lube, confusion and horror all rolled into one :lol:

Jerome

Fanatec had the opportunity to be pro-active and turn the issue with the motors in an opportunity, they choose to try to put the dust under the rug and left the door open for the competition and people with initiative.
Their is nothing wrong with making honest mistake, they can even prove your integrity and lead to better thing. Half truth and opacity never work long term, not in this day and age of communication. I hope every one learns from Wikileaks.:mischievous:

And to think, this is what was posted prior to the CSW's release:
Why should something be better just because it is more expensive? ;)
If anyone has the Frex and the ECCI I am happy to send him a CSW for review when time has come.

It's great to be confident and headstrong. Just not at the expense of self-examination and allowing oneself to make changes in areas of failure.

Method, and quantity of production brings down the price of the CSW vs the virtually custom-job wheels, and they did a lot for the price. But the reality is that all of the motors fade, plenty of them fail, and that is absolutely pivotal.

Berney Villers himself has stated that the Accuforce from Simxperience will be under US$2000, and that reliance on Logitech drivers is also going to be all the more crucial. With the T500 and Accuforce for pc people, and (possibly) zero current gen console support for Fanatec wheels, things may be about to get very awkward for them.

Hi everyone and hi ekretz been watching this for a while now since i bought my csw a year ago good to know there is someone who can sort out new motors when you want replacements good job mate ;) are all csw motors doomed to fail at some point in the not so distant future? from what i gather from reading your excellent posts that is indeed true due to the cheap motors and poor design. I have already had one motor block die on me and when returned was told i now had v2 motors are these just the same motors? When the next ones go i think ill be giving you a shout ekretz you seem much more competent. as for buying another fanatec i dont think i will because after spending over a thousand english pounds i feel very let down

The stock motors were supposedly failing because of a "bad batch" of motors, but I had a set of the "new" motors fail and of course other people are still getting failures also. I know the disappointment you feel - I felt the same when my stock motors failed on multiple occasions. I really like the look and feel of the CSW and its rims though, so even though I had to do a little "reengineering" work I am still not sorry I bought the wheel. Just needed a few tweaks, that's all.

The stock motors were supposedly failing because of a "bad batch" of motors, but I had a set of the "new" motors fail and of course other people are still getting failures also. I know the disappointment you feel - I felt the same when my stock motors failed on multiple occasions. I really like the look and feel of the CSW and its rims though, so even though I had to do a little "reengineering" work I am still not sorry I bought the wheel. Just needed a few tweaks, that's all.
I wish I could say the same, but right now I cant help but feel like I have been screwed out of about $1000 by choosing to go with a Fanatec product.

If/when Eric can find a new supplier, then the CSW becomes relevant again. (For me at least). Without this mod, I'm very unhappy with my purchase.

The first time my motors burnt out, it only took a few days for them to ship the new block. This time around, I'm approaching 2 months and have to repeatedly send them emails to get any sort of response. They want me to send in my wheel for "repair". I'm refusing, as they are just going to replace the motor. Nothing else is wrong with it. Plus it's my only wheel and would mean I can't race in my league for a month or more. Not acceptable to me, after spending over $1,000 on their products. So, I've basically been racing without FFB for more than 1 1/2 months. Not impressed. I could have done that for $99.99, instead of $999.99.

I do like the product and if they fixed it, I would consider buying another one. IMO, it's the most appealing and modular design out there.

However, one of the first steps in dealing with a problem is acceptance and acknowledgement. They refuse to do either. That is the most frustrating part and shows me that they are not very truthful with their customers and are probably continuing to sell the same defective product to new customers. This is not an acceptable business practice IMO.

If Eric can fix the wheel, all will be right with the world (Fanatec should give him shares in the company, as his work is the only way they are retaining some customers). If not, I'm getting the Accuforce wheel and will not look back.

Latest Posts

Back