Fanatec CSW/CSR Elite Modders Thread *UPDATE February 2014*

• Thread starter eKretz
  • 3,600 comments

Sorry flash made it difficult to read, it says 1200 but that´s the only one Fanatec sent me, I heard some others got 2 different oils to choose from so perhaps you could go a bit thicker if you want to.
I'm just about to order a set of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361003732884 - will these be right @Nick Moxley ? Will I still need an upgraded spring or thicker oil to get a realistic pedal? I haven't even bought the CSP v2s yet but I'm going to so figured I may as well use a proper shock from the get go.

I'm just about to order a set of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361003732884 - will these be right @Nick Moxley ? Will I still need an upgraded spring or thicker oil to get a realistic pedal? I haven't even bought the CSP v2s yet but I'm going to so figured I may as well use a proper shock from the get go.

sorry for the late reply, but i personally run 35wt Losi oil, the fanatec stuff is Sooo wrong in calling it 1200wt its not even funny. Throw that crap out. For spring its up to you, if you CRANK down the preload and if its still not stiff enough for your liking, you might need the Kyosho spring.

Hi guys,

I hope someone can make a suggestion. My CSR Elite wheel acts weirdly. It's very notchy, the smoothness is gone. Most of the time it feels like floating on the water, the wheel looses resistance. I tried tightening the belt and all possible settings, nothing helps. It seems that everything starts a while after it gets warm. I don't smell or hear anything unusual. When turning the wheel, it feels as if it is gear driven, but not belt.

I have kept searching for a fix with no luck. Should I contact Fanatec, or it's something I can fix?

sounds like the motors are on the way out
Ah... :( Reading through the threads became apparent the stock motors are crap. Are there any other better quality replacement motors that can be installed without any modifications?

Ah... :( Reading through the threads became apparent the stock motors are crap. Are there any other better quality replacement motors that can be installed without any modifications?

not really, the better quality ones generally need the bracket and pulleys to be modified

Thank you guys! I've been considering selling the CSR Elite and buying CSW. If that's the case, I will just replace the stock motors and sell it.

Eric, I got a CSW from a iRacing member, he said its like brand new and has even the latest firmware. He bought it April 13 of last year, do you need to change anything or should I still send in the Beta wheel?

eKretz,
Let me know if I have this correct? You ordered the first batch of motors (5). After receiving them and verify there correct and work you will order the next batch? Have they said if you will be able to order more than 5? If it's going to be 5 at a time and you verify then will you be able to order them more quickly? Or will it depend on modifications of the motors?

Thank you guys! I've been considering selling the CSR Elite and buying CSW. If that's the case, I will just replace the stock motors and sell it.

Just curious, would it not be cheaper for you to buy in on bulk motor purchase and modify you csr elite instead?

If you wanna be able to swap wheels you have the universal hub, if you don´t care about speedy wheel swaps you have the formula wheel available for csr elite as well.

Either way it will be cheaper then buying a new csw and it will be much better as well for less money, when you modify it you will throw away the warranty no matter what but if you do not modify with Buhler´s I suspect you will run into same problem with burnt out motors further down the road?

Like I said just curious but I had a csw still under warranty but went with eKretz Buhler mod anyway and can say I do not regret a single thing, the wheel is so much better and if you like me go with the full kit it will come with bracket and everything you need to install the Buhler´s. It is very simple and can be done in an hour or a couple, all instructions come with the kit and with the right air pump hooked up you probably never have to deal with motor break downs again.
The strength of those Buhler´s will make a new wheel out of it.

Just curious, would it not be cheaper for you to buy in on bulk motor purchase and modify you csr elite instead?....
I am seriously considering the full modification now instead of buying the CSW. The only thing that makes me hesitant is the addition of an air pump, but I believe it's optional. Will contact Eric for more details.

eKretz,
Let me know if I have this correct? You ordered the first batch of motors (5). After receiving them and verify there correct and work you will order the next batch? Have they said if you will be able to order more than 5? If it's going to be 5 at a time and you verify then will you be able to order them more quickly? Or will it depend on modifications of the motors?

Correct. After the first new motors are tested I will send out the first five guys' motor blocks. (I actually have one guy's whole wheel, he is one of the first five). After the first five I can order any size batch we have enough guys for. Things will go much quicker subsequently since all the hoops have already been jumped through. (All the ordering info is already in their system, etc.)

I am seriously considering the full modification now instead of buying the CSW. The only thing that makes me hesitant is the addition of an air pump, but I believe it's optional. Will contact Eric for more details.

I wouldn't call it optional unless you are running very low FFB levels. You can try experimenting with a lower flow, quieter pump than I recommend if you like, but that's up to you. Personally I prefer having absolute certainty that my motors will last than a tiny bit quieter setup.

Glad to hear and hope you go that way for your sake, it will give you an absolute killer of a wheel for that kinda money. Yeah me too was worried about the air pump cause I´m so incredibly sensitive to any extra noise, have gotten more used to it now but often play with head phones to get around that. Have FF at 50 (sometimes 60) now, that is stronger then stock wheel @ 100% but suspect you need air pump for that, better safe then sorry.

Don´t forget you also need a new PSU for this mod but those can be found relatively cheap online.

Glad to hear and hope you go that way for your sake, it will give you an absolute killer of a wheel for that kinda money...

Pfft... Do you think I have another choice? Check Fanatec's response below :)

According to your description seems pretty much that the motor of the wheel is defective. If you want you can send us the a video of the wheels beaviour, but i am pretty sure, that this will also just confirm your apprehension.

Unfortunately the Wheel is far out of warranty already and we don´t have the motor for this wheel as a spare part. So i have no chance to help you with the wheel.

We kindly ask for our understanding.

I can't believe in this. My wheel's warranty expired about 1.5 years ago and they don't have replacement parts? It's unbelievable.

I am glad we have Eric :):)

That's really lame yegor. I'm sad that Fanatec have let you down like that. At least if you go that way, the modded wheel will hold up for a very very long time and the Bühler motors are available if you want to buy replacements.

@Blue028 did you ever get a chance to hang a fish scale on your single motor mod to see what kind of torque is being developed? We want to see your handiwork at fitting everything back together too! Oh, and I haven't got to that graph yet, sorry. Getting up every three hours to help feed the baby is taking its toll on my free time as well as my alertness, heh.

Oh I've been there :) How's bubs doing, anyway?

Great! Thanks for asking. She came right around 3 weeks early but is going like gangbusters. My little 2 1/2 year old son is doing his best to be a good helper too. With my bad back I try to avoid bending down etc. very much, so he grabs the supplies from the bottom of the baby's bassinet when it's diaper change time and puts 'em back after also. She had her first Dr. apptmt. today also and doc says everything looks perfect.

Last edited:
Back