Far Cry 4 (November 18)

• Thread starter Akira AC
  • 212 comments
A game like Bioshock Infinite has the same sort of depression but it carries that through the whole game, it never gives you the chance to forget what is really happening and it brings you into the story more because of it.
That's where Far Cry 4 is so clever - it's counting on you to forget. If you follow the story exclusively, the duplicity is immediately obvious. But the game knows that if it gives you extra missions outside the story, you'll more than likely follow them. And as the story starts to spread out, the duplicity becomes less and less obvious. It also gives Amita or Sabal the chance to influence you directly and to the exclusion of the other as you help the people out. The thematic drive of the story is so much more effective when it is being subversive, and the game relies on mechanics to manipulate you. It places an objective marker in Paul's mansion, but never tells you to follow it. It forces you to make decisions without any context. It relies on you to follow side-quests to dilute the narrative. It shows you the consequences of your actions in a way - Yuma poisoning you - that you will be inclined to dismiss immediately. The whole thing is a subversion of video games, constructed to get you to that final meeting with Pagan, in which case it presents you with the only real choice that you ever get, but masks it as anything but a choice.

I've only played a few of the story missions so far but I'd really like to do some COOP in this game. If anyone wants to hit up some COOP, add me and/or let me know.. (PSN ID: Ausylo on PS4)

That's where Far Cry 4 is so clever - it's counting on you to forget. If you follow the story exclusively, the duplicity is immediately obvious. But the game knows that if it gives you extra missions outside the story, you'll more than likely follow them. And as the story starts to spread out, the duplicity becomes less and less obvious. It also gives Amita or Sabal the chance to influence you directly and to the exclusion of the other as you help the people out. The thematic drive of the story is so much more effective when it is being subversive, and the game relies on mechanics to manipulate you. It places an objective marker in Paul's mansion, but never tells you to follow it. It forces you to make decisions without any context. It relies on you to follow side-quests to dilute the narrative. It shows you the consequences of your actions in a way - Yuma poisoning you - that you will be inclined to dismiss immediately. The whole thing is a subversion of video games, constructed to get you to that final meeting with Pagan, in which case it presents you with the only real choice that you ever get, but masks it as anything but a choice.

A large part of it is that not many games actually give you those choices.
When you see an objective marker over something you assume that's what you have to do because no other games really give you those options.

At the very start when Pagin tells you to stay put there is a marker over the door at the bottom of the staircase and in every other game I've ever played nothing will happen until you go through the door. We've already seen that Pagin is very aggressive but he came out in a helicopter just to pick you up and bring you back to his mansion. He obviously likes you for some unknown reason and the right thing to do would be to stay. For all you known the Golden Path might want to abduct you for negotiation powers.

I went through the game relatively quickly, but still did many of the side missions.
It didn't take long to see that it was just going to be a case of "pick your favourite new dictator." Ended up hating them both near the end, Amita moreso.
Especially after the game ends and you see her abducting children for her new army. I flew over to kill Sabal at the end of the game after seeing what he was doing to the people, and after killing him I found heroin rations on him.:rolleyes:

Far Cry 4 is a fantastic game in all departments (Apart from the fact that Ajay is incredibly boring compared to the other people, I was half expecting him to be some sort of sleeper like in the first Bioshock.) I just wanted to have some nice closure and instead it raised more questions about why couldn't he have just scattered the ashes and left.
Good story, but I just like my games to have a nice ending to them, I don't like being sad for a few days over a game.:lol:

Good story, but I just like my games to have a nice ending to them, I don't like being sad for a few days over a game.:lol:

The Far Cry series has been fantastic, but I haven't played this yet as I'm too busy with a different game at the moment. When I heard it was in Nepal, my reaction was "meh." Africa and Indonesia were great locations in the previous titles. Hopefully this one will overcome my reservation on the location. I was hoping for a return to Africa, but with the improved gameplay of 3.

As far as "sad" endings, I really don't mind as long as it's pulled off really well and with a purpose. Sort of like Mafia II. It worked really well and had the effect it was supposed to for sure, which is to leave you sitting there sort of speechless.

Ubisoft consciously chose to make Ajay silent by comparison to the likes of Jason. If he was more active, he would be a barrier to the player engaging with the world - by making him relatively silent, the player moves from a passive bystander and witness to Ajay's choices, to an active participant in the gane.

Anyone know what the 657.xx MB update is for?
It's 03/02/2015 as of this posting in case that helps.
Would the Uplay site have info?

Anyone know what the 657.xx MB update is for?
It's 03/02/2015 as of this posting in case that helps.
Would the Uplay site have info?
I played co-op yesterday. The game runs incredibly well so I really have no idea what the patch was for. Honestly one of the best running games this gen. Always so much fun with basically no problems.

This week we'll be pushing out Title Update 5 of Far Cry 4 on all platforms. With this update, we'll be introducing Co-Op on custom maps for Far Cry 4! The patch is currently being pushed to all platforms, and should be available by end of day tomorrow for both console and PC. We'll have a news post shortly with more information on how to Co-Op will work with IGE maps, however the Patch Notes are currently available. We will also be updating this thread once the patch is available on the remaining platforms:

Title Update Status:
  • PS4 - LIVE
  • Xbox One - LIVE
  • PS3 - LIVE
  • Xbox 360 - In Progress [ETA: Tomorrow, February 4th]
  • PC - In Progress [ETA: Tomorrow, February 4th]

All Platforms [PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3]

In-Game Editor [IGE]
  • IGE Co-Op is now live!
  • Fixed various Gameplay functionality issues with asset placements
  • Fixed various Gameplay functionality issues with the Map Browser

Co-Op
  • Integrated Outpost Master in Co-Op
  • Fixed various client connectivity issues
  • Fixed various Host/Client replication issues

Load and Save Files
  • Fixed various checkpoint placement issues

Vehicles
  • Fixed the occasional issue with vehicle placement

Matchmaking and PvP
  • Fixed matchmaking stability and general issues with PvP
  • Fixed inconsistencies with XP in the load-out menu

Gameplay
  • Fixed spawning issues under specific circumstances

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

• Fixed co-op matchmaking issues when user's signed in as an inactive profile

Co-op on custom made maps is a great addition! Good move.

I used to have this game on PS4 but not any longer but I never used the Keys to Kyrat so if any Sony heads could use this code PM me, hate to toss it!

I just downloaded the Blood Ruby and Yak Farm missions.

Blood Ruby wasn't bad - it feels like a massive outpost, but it probably plays better at lower levels. My A52/MP5/6P9/recurve bow loadout felt a little overpowered.

Yak Farm felt like a user-generated map, which was a little disappointing. It's very difficult, and has a few odd glitches.

So, I went back into Kyrat to play the Outpost Master mode, and some of them are really tricky. I like the way the scoring system renders sniping completely impotent on the harder Outposts - you have to get up close in order to get a good score.

Also, am I the only one who is disappointed that the southern edge of Northern Kyrat is so under-populated? Everywhere else there are mountain caves and shrines to explore, but aside from one or two Outposts and a shrine holding a thangka, there's nothing. I know it's referred to as the most remote part of the country, but it does feel a bit incomplete.

Co-op on custom made maps is a great addition! Good move.

I used to have this game on PS4 but not any longer but I never used the Keys to Kyrat so if any Sony heads could use this code PM me, hate to toss it!
I need to check out the "Custom" co-op mode. I think I watched a couple of your co-op videos showing gameplay in some sort of custom arena. In fact I still need to finish this campaign. I think I am almost at the very end. Just got side tracked with the other X1 games I picked up recently.

Anyone else having problems? Just put it in for the first time this month (?) and had to download a update... Now I'm just getting a "The Far Cry 4 service is not available" thing.

Jesus this is some drm bs.

I have had that issue once or twice, but I have found that if you disconnect from the internet, then start the game up and reconnect once your profile is loaded, there are no problems. You can even get the DLC without needing the updates; I know Valley of the Yetis was released a few days ago.

Anyone else having problems? Just put it in for the first time this month (?) and had to download a update... Now I'm just getting a "The Far Cry 4 service is not available" thing.

Jesus this is some drm bs.
Yes I have seen that happen from time to time.

Thanks for the help guys, reseting my Internet worked, having more fun, just need to complete the fashion week missions to complete my crafting.

After loving Far Cry 4, I went and got Far Cry - The Wild Expedition. I enjoyed Far Cry 3, even though FC4 was superior. And while Far Cry 2 isn't bad, I get frustrated with it because as soon as a guard sees you, every single guard in the area knows exactly where you are.

So, I'm currently playing this game and like most FC games, I love it and hate it, but hate this one far less than the others. Finally, a FC game i actually love more than hate. But, I noticed a glitch with my heavy ammo bag. it seems my rockets and grenades for the launcher just seem to disappear. Not buying anymore of them since it's a waste of money.

I'm on mission 16, soon. I maxed out my karma, unlocked a few specialty guns, and did a few fashion week challenges so I'm sitting pretty for the next few missions. How much longer until I open up the North? I want to get there already but still can't. Very annoying.

Also, if somebody is still playing, I could use a co-op partner to attack a few fortresses. So, message me if you're interested.

Really am enjoying this game despite some annoying things. But, do feel good this game is as good and getting better with each new title.

How much longer until I open up the North? I want to get there already but still can't.
I'm not sure what mission #16 is, but to open up the North, you will need to have:
1) Completed all of Willis' missions and escaped from Durgesh
2) Finished the heroin processing plant (it's a Golden Path mission)
3) Confronted Noore and decided her fate (do the first Yogi and Reggie mission to open this up)

You will then need to do one mission to attack the fortifications at the King's Bridge. Upon completion of that mission, the North opens up.
It actually unlocks surprisingly late in the game, but the story progresses pretty quickly once you open it up. One of the big problems with Far Cry 3 was that it set Vaas up as the main villain, but the story kept going once he died. Far Cry 4 doesn't make that mistake.

You can get early access to the North if you complete the final Yogi and Reggie mission, but you won't get to see much.

Also, if somebody is still playing, I could use a co-op partner to attack a few fortresses.
Fortresses become significantly easier once you take care of the lieutenants. But taking them down solo undetected beforehand is a massive challenge (and sometimes it's fun to deliberately trip the alarm).

So, I'm currently playing this game and like most FC games, I love it and hate it, but hate this one far less than the others. Finally, a FC game i actually love more than hate...
I actually still love FC2 more than the rest, purely because it is so dynamic and involving. It's also the only game (in the series) that I have completed more than one playthrough on. I have thoroughly enjoyed 3 and 4 however, but that's just me :)

I really wish FC4 had FC2's multiplayer. FC4 has the greatest map editor to date in the series, possibly the best map editor in general for any game. The only problem is that there is nobody around to play maps people made. FC2 on the other hand still has plenty of full lobbies, at least on PS3.

@Solid Lifters - I just realised something: when I said that you needed to escape from Durgesh to unlock Northern Kyrat, I was referring to a mission. There's a DLC chapter called "Escape from Durgesh" that chronicles Ajay's exploits during a gap in the story:

Between Ajay's escape from the prison and his rescue by Amita and Sabal; it also goes a bit more into Yuma and her plot to overthrow Pagan.
But it's not necessary to understand the story as a whole. The "Escape from Durgesh" chapter takes place exclusively in Northern Kyrat, but everything is unlocked from the start, so playing it before you enter Northern Kyrat spoils the sense of discovery.

But at least "Escape from Durgesh" fixes two of the glitches that are so annoying in the story - the location in the river that doesn't trigger, and the road at the Ministy of Public Affairs that goes nowhere.

@Solid Lifters - I just realised something: when I said that you needed to escape from Durgesh to unlock Northern Kyrat, I was referring to a mission. There's a DLC chapter called "Escape from Durgesh" that chronicles Ajay's exploits during a gap in the story:

Between Ajay's escape from the prison and his rescue by Amita and Sabal; it also goes a bit more into Yuma and her plot to overthrow Pagan.
But it's not necessary to understand the story as a whole. The "Escape from Durgesh" chapter takes place exclusively in Northern Kyrat, but everything is unlocked from the start, so playing it before you enter Northern Kyrat spoils the sense of discovery.

But at least "Escape from Durgesh" fixes two of the glitches that are so annoying in the story - the location in the river that doesn't trigger, and the road at the Ministy of Public Affairs that goes nowhere.
Yeah, I just played today the Escape from Durgesh mission and then unlocked North Kyrat. I had a hard time finding some mission quests, so I spent that time maxing out karma, loading up my wallet and buying all the maps and weapons I unlocked including their options. So, it wasn't really time wasted.

Had a few annoying glitches again, and one loading fail that I had to reset my PS3, but all is good. Northern Kyrat soldiers are much harder to kill, but it's not too hard.

Yeah, I noticed that once I dealt with the person who ran or owned that fortress, it was much easier to take down and own.

So I finally finished "Escape from Durgesh". The mission where you take out the Yuma's Wrath convoy - which is supposedly easy - is bloody difficult.

Although the plot would have really worked well in the main story.

Had a few annoying glitches again, and one loading fail that I had to reset my PS3, but all is good.
I haven't noticed any like that. I did have my 360 freeze when I fired a missile at a propaganda poster in "Escape from Durgesh", but for the most part, it's been little niggles - the location marker for Drunk Pratik's Truck is actually under the game world so it can't be tripped, Royal Vault IX (or Royal Vault III - one of them) is inaccessible without glitching through the door, and the game doesn't recognise the road at the Ministry of Public Affairs as connecting to the main road so the Royal Convoy truck is an easy score.

Buzzsaw, for when you absolutely need to destroy anything and everything in FC4. Including helicopters.

Wish I could use it in the arena. Wanted to get to level 10 to unlock another specialty weapon. Not gonna happen.

Buzzsaw, for when you absolutely need to destroy anything and everything in FC4. Including helicopters.
I personally prefer the Bushman, with the GL-87 for heavy damage.

Wish I could use it in the arena. Wanted to get to level 10 to unlock another specialty weapon. Not gonna happen.
You do need to grind a little bit, but it can be done. Success in the weapons challenges contributes to your overall rank, and the matches last five rounds, so you can pick up a good score quickly. In addition to the Buzzsaw, the SPAS-12 is pretty good, as are any of the assault rifles.

Had the chance to get back and complete FC4 (I had got into Northern Kyrat and done a few missions only.) Lost a good few hours mopping up the posters and stuff yesterday.

One thing I did notice, or maybe this was always the case in Northern Kyrat, but seeing an enemy truck plunge into the river, I was surprised to see two of the occupants surface and swim to the bank instead of the usual floating to the surface, dead.

Had the chance to get back and complete FC4 (I had got into Northern Kyrat and done a few missions only.) Lost a good few hours mopping up the posters and stuff yesterday.

One thing I did notice, or maybe this was always the case in Northern Kyrat, but seeing an enemy truck plunge into the river, I was surprised to see two of the occupants surface and swim to the bank instead of the usual floating to the surface, dead.

Have you played the game on current-gen consoles? Worth getting? Didn't enjoy it all that much on the X360.

Back