FITT Nurburgring Nordschleife Shootout v2.0

• Thread starter CSLACR
  • 777 comments
450 PP FEEDBACK
Onboy Mustang​
Sometimes its very difficult for me to find fault with some of these cars,this one being a fine example.This car allowed me to hold a higher speed through and out of corners,permitted deeper braking zones and quicker retake of throttle.ZOOM!There was a slight loss of traction at high speed turn in,but that may be the drivers lack of skill handling high performance Nurb setups while going WAY TOO FAST.Nice job,Onboy.

How comes you all seem to be able to find something so amazingly wonderful in the Mustang when I just think it's a bit…well, boring? :lol: Thanks for the tests. 👍

How comes you all seem to be able to find something so amazingly wonderful in the Mustang when I just think it's a bit…well, boring? :lol: Thanks for the tests. 👍
The SVT Cobra R is sort of like the R35...starts off as a decent drive and tuning just makes it even more driver friendly. Not the exciting because your wondering when the car will decide to pitch you into the trees style, but the this is so safe and easy that your 84year old mother/grandmother/greatgrandmother....uhm whatever...could run laps at pace with it.
For the way most tested for this shootout, that sort of easy to handle, no stress car, means it will get good reviews from many.
Is it the most exciting (in a good way) car to drive in the bunch? Probably not.

550pp Feedback

Without further ado... I really enjoyed many of these tunes... thanks tuners!

praiano63 - Dodge Challenger SRT8 '08 - DC: 10

What a beast! Hang on for Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride. Loads of power and squirrelly as hell, but a blast to drive – white knuckle ride all the way!

mike_gt3 - Lexus IS-F '07 - DC: 9

What a little 8-gear rocket! Very tight suspension and considerable understeer but after adjusting to that a nice, fast, very enjoyable ride. Lots of acceleration and speed. Excellent tune Mike!

XDesperado67 - Jaguar XKR Coupe '10 - DC: 9

Really enjoyed this car… loads of power and sounds wonderful. Sometimes hard to keep it on the track but nothing noticeable to complain about so I attribute to my inability to harness the car’s power more effectively. :) I definitely feel with time I could go faster with this car

Onboy123 - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 '04 - DC: 8.5

I enyjoed this car, but for some reason I struggled with it much more than I should have. I think it was that the massive power combined with the mid-corner understeer flew in the face of all of my instincts. So many times I would accelerate through a corner only to find that I gave it too much gas for the understeer and went off the road. It took me a while to turn the aggressiveness down a notch and drive a calmer lap to finally get a decent time. Still.. very nice tune!

wildheart90 - Lexus IS-F '07 - DC: 8

Interesting to compare the two IF’s in this group. I actually found this entry to be smoother and easier to handle than mike_gt’s entry, but not quite as fast. Understeer is still present but I attribute that to the car. The balance and responsiveness is good and primarily it handles the bumpy ride of the ‘Ring a little better. Lap time is slower, but I attribute that partially to the transmission. I’m not sure the gear ratios are optimum on this trans. I found myself shifting more than I wanted to and at inopportune times. Also red-lined on the final straight. I would be interested to combine these suspension settings with mike_gt’s trans settings and see what lap time that produces.

CSLACR - Audi R8 4.2 FSI '07 - DC: 10

A pure joy and pleasure to drive. This thing corners on rails! I have nothing to say other than I loved it, and this tune is going in my garage. It wasn't the fastest (as CSLACR acknowledges) but a thoroughly enjoyable ride! Great tune!

ACSR421 - Lexus LFA '10 - DC: 10

This is one of the most balanced cars I’ve driven… impeccable… so responsive, very forgiving. I suppose making it this flexible was at the expense of the fastest time, or maybe that was just the car, but ultimately I thoroughly enjoyed it. As close to a perfect tune as you can get. Congrats!

Theo777 - Spyker C8 Laviolette '01 - DC: 9

Great looking and sounding car. Super consistent and very fun to drive. Just the slightest hint of mid-corner understeer easy to adapt to. Only complaint – a little bumpy.

DigitalBaka - Ferrari 458 Italia '09 - DC: 9

The Italia has always been one of my favorite cars in the game so it was nice to see it on this shootout. This tune was excellent. The balance, handling, responsiveness were all superb, and I had no trouble turning in a decent lap. In fact I was able to carry more speed through the corners in many places than almost any other tune in either group. The only thing holding it back from competitive times was that it didn’t seem to have the top speed of other entries, which seems strange to say for a Ferrari. The Italia only got up to ~182 mph on the final straight whereas the contenders were doing 200+. I think that may be the only difference. Still a great tune and a very enjoyable drive.

Ugabugaz - Ferrari Enzo '02 - DC: 8

Similar to the Italia, also a very balanced and enjoyable tune. It also had the same issues with top speed however.

Krenkme - Dodge Challenger R/T '70 - DC: 6

Krenkme, I really loved your 450pp Challenger tune... this one not nearly as much, sorry. For me the gearing seemed awkward, I often found myself feeling the need to do an extra upshift right before a corner and then break. This has a larger effect on a heavier car. This one also has a bit lower top speed and I found myself redlining on last straight. That being said, the handling was fine overall, a bit soft as expected for this car. I love the fact that it's not phased by curbs! :)

Ridox2JZGTE - Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec '97 - DC: 5

Full disclsoure... I had to set ABS to 1 to be able to complete a lap! I assume that's OK since we're using ABS:1 on all the other tunes. Aside from that, the suspension was a bit too stiff for my taste. This made for quite a bumpy ride on the 'Ring and forced me into some fairly conservative driving. A slight mid-corner understeer also slowed me down a bit. A little slower than other entries as well.

As we get closer to wrapping this shootout up I'm starting to get one of those crazy ideas again.
Thanks to PDs V2.10 PP fiasco we "found" most of the cars in this event. Part of what has made tuning them such a challenge and so much fun was that we were trying to get them to run controllably on lower grade tires than we would normally use for a car at their true PP. I.E. SM for 500PP and RH for 600PP.
Maybe we should consider on some future events adding a bit of challenge by taking the tire grade down a notch or two from the expected. We might find a few cars that have built a reputation because the expected tires work so well but lower grades seriously impact their performance. Likewise we might find a few "hidden gems" that maintain their levels of performance even with lower grades of tires.
Not suggesting that all future shootouts be run on lower grade tires, just that allowed tire grades have been shown by this to be a bit more flexible than some may have previously thought.:crazy:

I think most of the reason we use higher grade tires was to be easier on testers. It's considerably easier to drive a car you aren't used to on S3s versus S1s. I think most of the regulars have gotten used to driving unfamiliar cars and have increased their skills by whatever margins that it isn't really necessary to use the softer tires for the most part. I would agree that we can use harder tires. They highlight the car and tune better anyway rather than being a crutch, if you will.

In general I think the compounds on the Nordschleife PP board provide adequate grip for their specified level. More than that and the tires start to hide the car as they do in the AMG special event with the tuned SLS, which is running on some kind of R comps. That thing has so much grip as to be comparable to a formula car. :grumpy:

Getting back... :)

I did not have enough time to run all of the 550 tunes, so I shall not be submitting results. The few I did get through we're great drives though. If anyone would like I'd be happy to drive it for feedback if you can shoot me a PM and can leave it on share for a little while. :dopey:

Thanks to everyone that has driven my cars and mostly survived. :D Seems like most found the Skyline somewhat enjoyable despite it's turtle like pace. The Italia is probably too light to keep up with the high powered competition here or a track like Monza but it may do well at a shorter, technical track. Again, thanks to the testers. :cheers:

Last edited:
I am in for comfort tires shootouts ( CH for 400PP, CM for 450PP, CS for 500PP ) I always run low 400PP cars like GT86, FRS, Celica, Accord, MX5, Civic, 240Z etc on CH when practicing no ABS online, 450PP to 600 PP on CM, or CS when I want more relaxing drive :) The wagon shootout idea on FITT thread could implement comfort tires for lower tier wagon cars, just an idea from me.

I like all tires, however I have a particular interest in RS atm, actually.
Mostly since I discovered how not-unrealistic they are...

Anyway I think harder tires make most usual suspects better. For example here, most likely the Audi would dominate on sh, let alone comfort tires.

At least one tester finished, I got a little over half way but just cant finish right now. :(
Update tomorrow, pinky swear.

550pp Feedback

I enyjoed this car, but for some reason I struggled with it much more than I should have. I think it was that the massive power combined with the mid-corner understeer flew in the face of all of my instincts. So many times I would accelerate through a corner only to find that I gave it too much gas for the understeer and went off the road. It took me a while to turn the aggressiveness down a notch and drive a calmer lap to finally get a decent time. Still.. very nice tune!

Thanks for the test, though I'm surprised you found understeer in it since it was very neutral with the tendency to oversteer in my hands…did 2.11 do something to the physics again!? :grumpy:

Also, just FYI, you missed out on Shmogt's time and feedback. It's not really fair on my opponent in this shootout if I get my times and stuff and he doesn't. Speaking of which…

Shmo, I'm ahead. Again. :lol: :P See, not having a huge wing poking out lets the drivers go faster, because they can see where they're going. :P I kid, having driven your car, there are areas where it was quicker than mine, it's just the wing, it's too distracting! :lol:

Another day, another day of being busy.
I see no reason to have anything in my way tomorrow night though, here's a gorgeous pic of an SLS.

SuzukaCircuit_48copy_zps36300fb8.jpg

Just bumping this thread and thought id let you know i have worked on my tuning since the shootout using what i seen in the various cars and what been suggested, been able to shave decent amount of time on my previous times with a few cars so far.

Thx for the shootout! i hope to be slightly more competitive if theres another 'ring challenge one day. :)

Just bumping this thread and thought id let you know i have worked on my tuning since the shootout using what i seen in the various cars and what been suggested, been able to shave decent amount of time on my previous times with a few cars so far.

Thx for the shootout! i hope to be slightly more competitive if theres another 'ring challenge one day. :)
👍

And there will definitely be more Nurburgring shootouts. :cheers:

Just need to add my DC and feedback for 550PP that is not on the 550PP time link.
Here 550pp DC and feedback.
I know where they all are, but I'd like to avoid having 2-3 links per testers for each set of results. (neatness)
I could copy and re-post them all, but seems kinda wasteful. :/

No rush, I have early days all week except tomorrow. :)

…And your results, Slacker? :P Also, just a quick question…no physic changes in V2.11, right? So it's still V2.10 physics just without the insane FR cars?

…And your results, Slacker? :P Also, just a quick question…no physic changes in V2.11, right? So it's still V2.10 physics just without the insane FR cars?

Exactly :)

Just realized I didn't post my final two lap times. Not sure where to put them as the link to my test results goes to a post by CSL so I'll put them here. Hope it doesn't mess you up.

7:36.918 - shmogt / shmogt - Toyota 86 GT '12
7:35.622 - trackripper123 / Ziz528 - Jaguar S-Type R '02

In the OP?

As far as I can tell we're still playing pretty much the same game we got over 2 years ago. Offline, that is.

Only got about halfway through with single laps. :/

Just waiting on JP's DC for those last two cars and I can calculate the results tomorrow night. Sorry for the super-delay.

this one have be finished ?
or i can be a tuner for both?

It's over too. Check the deadlines in the first post . For the next shootout see the Upcoming Events HERE

DATES & DEADLINES:
Tuning - January 23rd - February 3rd
I'll be using a version of Krekme's deadline "when I get home from work" on the 4th, for any late-runners. Everyone in the world will easily have passed the 3rd by then.
Testing - February 3rd - February 17th
I'll be using a version of Krekme's deadline "when I get home from work" on the 18th, for any late-runners. Everyone in the world will easily have passed the 17th by then.

550pp Feedback
550pp Results:

Some really great drives in this group as well!

Feedback coming shortly...

1. 6:57.719 - praiano63 - Dodge Challenger SRT8 '08
2. 6:58.204 - mike_gt3 - Luxus IS-F '07
3. 7:01.872 - XDesperado67 - Jaguar XKR Coupe '10
4. 7:02.657 - Onboy123 - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 '04
5. 7:03.391 - wildheart90 - Lexus IS-F '07
6. 7:03.434 - shmogt - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 '04
7. 7:03.839 - CSLACR - Audi R8 4.2 FSI '07
8. 7:03.929 - ACSR421 - Lexus LFA '10
9. 7:05.224 - Theo777 - Spyker C8 Laviolette '01
10. 7:08.109 - DigitalBaka - Ferrari 458 Italia '09
11. 7:11.334 - Ugabugaz - Ferrari Enzo '02
12. 7:15.686 - Krenkme - Dodge Challenger R/T '70
13. 7:18.062 - Ridox2JZGTE - Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec '97

Without further ado... I really enjoyed many of these tunes... thanks tuners!

praiano63 - Dodge Challenger SRT8 '08 - DC: 10

What a beast! Hang on for Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride. Loads of power and squirrelly as hell, but a blast to drive – white knuckle ride all the way!

mike_gt3 - Lexus IS-F '07 - DC: 9

What a little 8-gear rocket! Very tight suspension and considerable understeer but after adjusting to that a nice, fast, very enjoyable ride. Lots of acceleration and speed. Excellent tune Mike!

XDesperado67 - Jaguar XKR Coupe '10 - DC: 9

Really enjoyed this car… loads of power and sounds wonderful. Sometimes hard to keep it on the track but nothing noticeable to complain about so I attribute to my inability to harness the car’s power more effectively. :) I definitely feel with time I could go faster with this car

wildheart90 - Lexus IS-F '07 - DC: 8

Interesting to compare the two IF’s in this group. I actually found this entry to be smoother and easier to handle than mike_gt’s entry, but not quite as fast. Understeer is still present but I attribute that to the car. The balance and responsiveness is good and primarily it handles the bumpy ride of the ‘Ring a little better. Lap time is slower, but I attribute that partially to the transmission. I’m not sure the gear ratios are optimum on this trans. I found myself shifting more than I wanted to and at inopportune times. Also red-lined on the final straight. I would be interested to combine these suspension settings with mike_gt’s trans settings and see what lap time that produces.

CSLACR - Audi R8 4.2 FSI '07 - DC: 10

A pure joy and pleasure to drive. This thing corners on rails! I have nothing to say other than I loved it, and this tune is going in my garage. It wasn't the fastest (as CSLACR acknowledges) but a thoroughly enjoyable ride! Great tune!

ACSR421 - Lexus LFA '10 - DC: 10

This is one of the most balanced cars I’ve driven… impeccable… so responsive, very forgiving. I suppose making it this flexible was at the expense of the fastest time, or maybe that was just the car, but ultimately I thoroughly enjoyed it. As close to a perfect tune as you can get. Congrats!

Theo777 - Spyker C8 Laviolette '01 - DC: 9

Great looking and sounding car. Super consistent and very fun to drive. Just the slightest hint of mid-corner understeer easy to adapt to. Only complaint – a little bumpy.

DigitalBaka - Ferrari 458 Italia '09 - DC: 9

The Italia has always been one of my favorite cars in the game so it was nice to see it on this shootout. This tune was excellent. The balance, handling, responsiveness were all superb, and I had no trouble turning in a decent lap. In fact I was able to carry more speed through the corners in many places than almost any other tune in either group. The only thing holding it back from competitive times was that it didn’t seem to have the top speed of other entries, which seems strange to say for a Ferrari. The Italia only got up to ~182 mph on the final straight whereas the contenders were doing 200+. I think that may be the only difference. Still a great tune and a very enjoyable drive.

Ugabugaz - Ferrari Enzo '02 - DC: 8

Similar to the Italia, also a very balanced and enjoyable tune. It also had the same issues with top speed however.

Krenkme - Dodge Challenger R/T '70 - DC: 6

Krenkme, I really loved your 450pp Challenger tune... this one not nearly as much, sorry. For me the gearing seemed awkward, I often found myself feeling the need to do an extra upshift right before a corner and then break. This has a larger effect on a heavier car. This one also has a bit lower top speed and I found myself redlining on last straight. That being said, the handling was fine overall, a bit soft as expected for this car. I love the fact that it's not phased by curbs! :)

Ridox2JZGTE - Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec '97 - DC: 5

Full disclsoure... I had to set ABS to 1 to be able to complete a lap! I assume that's OK since we're using ABS:1 on all the other tunes. Aside from that, the suspension was a bit too stiff for my taste. This made for quite a bumpy ride on the 'Ring and forced me into some fairly conservative driving. A slight mid-corner understeer also slowed me down a bit. A little slower than other entries as well.

Back