Formula 1 2021-2022 Off-Season and Mid-season break threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 767 comments
Yes the reason being "Juri Vips said a racist word on a livestream to a small audience, so we sacked him."
To which he was then asked: "Max Verstappen said a racist word on Team Radio aimed specifically to a fellow driver which was broadcast live on F1 TV to anyone who wanted to listen. Why didn't he get fired?"
Marko was not able to give a good answer to that question that didn't completely contradict his previous sentence.

But self-contradiction is the Red Bull way, so why are we not surprised?

He also mentioned that he only dropped Vips because of the “British Media”.

All that to say Porsche would probably not want to be associated with his hot takes. Much like Bernie it seems like people will happily stick a microphone in front of him for some incoherent babbling.

Yes the reason being "Juri Vips said a racist word on a livestream to a small audience, so we sacked him."
To which he was then asked: "Max Verstappen said a racist word on Team Radio aimed specifically to a fellow driver which was broadcast live on F1 TV to anyone who wanted to listen. Why didn't he get fired?"
Marko was not able to give a good answer to that question that didn't completely contradict his previous sentence.

But self-contradiction is the Red Bull way, so why are we not surprised?
Red Bull is to embarrassing themselves to the media as Ferrari is to embarrassing themselves during the race.

Edit: 2026 engine regulations video via Formula 1 YouTube channel

Not sure how I feel about reintroduction of turbo lag… why

Bigger electrical MGUK seems like it will be heavy.

Video also speaks to more standardized parts, giving engineers even less of a role.

Last edited:
Personally, if we are going to have 100% sustainable carbon neutral fuel, I'd go back to pure NA V10/V12s. Turn F1 back to being a pure entertainment and spectacle. It hasn't been road relevant for ages. The fuel efficiency benefits of the hybrid engines of all cars over a whole season could probably be saved by cutting 2-3 races from the calendar (which are getting excessively long). Leave the hybrid electric stuff for WEC and FE.

Turbo lag coming back is exaggerated. This is 2026, not the 80s. The MGU-H is already mostly going to recharge the battery instead of spooling the turbo (except for quali lap where you want max power). Also with the bigger electrical component, you can use the battery to torque fill any lag anyways.

The extra weight of the bigger MGU-K and batteries will probably be offset by the smaller fuel tank (minus 30L). But they are also talking about a stronger roll hoop and safety cell to house all the electronics so the cars probably wouldn't get much lighter. Boo.

As for the standardized parts. Well it will keep the field closer and reduce costs. The engines are already close in performance to one another anyway. No point spending millions just to eke out an extra 10 HP if it doesn't benefit the show for the fans. Also they are still free to innovate on the electrical components.

Intrigued to see what the aero regs will be like. Heard they're reintroducing more extreme active aero to help efficiency as well (reduce drag on straights while still keeping cornering performance).

Personally, if we are going to have 100% sustainable carbon neutral fuel, I'd go back to pure NA V10/V12s. Turn F1 back to being a pure entertainment and spectacle. It hasn't been road relevant for ages. The fuel efficiency benefits of the hybrid engines of all cars over a whole season could probably be saved by cutting 2-3 races from the calendar (which are getting excessively long). Leave the hybrid electric stuff for WEC and FE.
If F1 wants keep and attract more manufacturers to its ranks, it needs keep power unit regs at least in line with current road cars. As nice as NA V10/V12s are, they are irrelevant to Mercedes, Renault, Honda or Porsche's current brand images, and i'm not sure for how long Ferrari will keep producing V12 road cars.

Personally, if we are going to have 100% sustainable carbon neutral fuel, I'd go back to pure NA V10/V12s. Turn F1 back to being a pure entertainment and spectacle.
F1 would definitely lose entertainment value if it loses engine manufacturers. The fewer works teams there are, the fewer teams can actually fight for championships. Ferrari will always make their own engines, and Mercedes would never pass on the opportunity to attain more influence and political power, so we definitely need at least three or four engine manufacturers. A Ferrari and Mercedes duopoly would be a disaster. And I don't think Renault, Porsche or Honda would agree to going back to those big engines.

Last edited:
I don't mind the new technology at all, I just wish they would find a way to make the engines scream again. Even if you're with your face against the fence, they're not loud anymore. That really is a shame.

F1 would definitely lose entertainment value if it loses engine manufacturers. The fewer works teams there are, the fewer teams can actually fight for championships. Ferrari will always make their own engines, and Mercedes would never pass on the opportunity to attain more influence and political power, so we definitely need at least three or four engine manufacturers. A Ferrari and Mercedes duopoly would be a disaster. And I don't think Renault, Porsche or Honda would agree to going back to those big engines.
Fl would lose huge amount of resources and revenue if they lost the manufacturers. The combined revenue of VWAG, Mercedes, Honda, Renault and Ferrari is about $545B that is $545,000 million, so they combined budget cap of 10teams is $1.5B and about 0.2% of the combined revenues... these are the companies that can afford Fl to be pushing the limits...

VWAG is the whale, 250B revenue a single team budget cap of 150mil is only about 0.06% of their revenue... of course they will need to justify Fl cost on a report for a sub-brand that might have smaller marketing budgets and profitability etc.

I don't mind the new technology at all, I just wish they would find a way to make the engines scream again. Even if you're with your face against the fence, they're not loud anymore. That really is a shame.
Apparently it was the MGU-H with the recycling of exhaust gasses which are to blame for the lack of noise - removing that should then increase exhaust noise; however, with the rev limit in place, it will probably still be a lower tone than the NAs.

Each to their own, I know, but hard disagree. I've been to only one F1 race, the 2005 British GP, so a field of 20 V10s, and the volume was easily the worst thing about the whole experience. The actual sound was great, but it needed to be quieter.

Don't BMW road cars pump fake noise into the driving cabin to make their owners feel good? Surely it can't be beyond the realms of technology to put a V10 soundchip in every F1 exhaust.

Don't BMW road cars pump fake noise into the driving cabin to make their owners feel good? Surely it can't be beyond the realms of technology to put a V10 soundchip in every F1 exhaust.
If we're going to have titanium skid blocks for no other reason than nostalgic sparks, I don't see why not.

Roo
If we're going to have titanium skid blocks for no other reason than nostalgic sparks, I don't see why not.
Yeah, this would be a good reason to invent that through the internet face slap.

Yeah, this would be a good reason to invent that through the internet face slap.
I like V10 engines and would love to have them back but if that isn't happening then a soundchip would be the next best thing.

I can think of a better reason:

The country of Mongolia asked for an apology, something for which they still haven't been given.
It's a nasty Dutch slur, originally referring to people with Down syndrome by calling them how Dutch folks viewed people from Mongolia. It's a double-slur (probably a term for it). Not appropriate in NL either.

The country of Mongolia asked for an apology, something for which they still haven't been given.

“The country of Mongolia” meaning the UN ambassador of Mongolia and an organisation that had no real relevancy or actual influence before Verstappen used it. There were no mass protests in Ulaanbaatar or mass outcries from the Mongolian people themselves as far as I know, but please do educate me if I’m wrong.

As far as the word is concerned, it used to describe people with down syndrome and kind of highlight a perceived similarity with the people of Mongolia, but is now used as a synonym for “idiot”, just like the word r*tard.

“The country of Mongolia” meaning the UN ambassador of Mongolia and an organisation that had no real relevancy or actual influence before Verstappen used it. There were no mass protests in Ulaanbaatar or mass outcries from the Mongolian people themselves as far as I know, but please do educate me if I’m wrong.

As far as the word is concerned, it used to describe people with down syndrome and kind of highlight a perceived similarity with the people of Mongolia, but is now used as a synonym for “idiot”, just like the word r*tard.
Ah yes, let's trivialise an outdated racist and ableist description used to insult and ignore the other ones also said in the same sentence...

How on earth are they no longer relevant?
Oh I don’t know, maybe because the use of these words have changed with their definitions having faded. I don’t see people using the word ‘m*ngole’ as a denigrating term for people with down syndrome, but rather as an insult, often synonymous with ‘idiot’. Verstappen used the word with that intent: to call Stroll an idiot for turning into him (even though the incident wasn’t really Lance’s fault, though that’s a little off topic).
Yes - and even aside from that, they very much are still relevant.
In what way? How is the old definition of the word ‘m*ngole’ still relevant in how people currently use this word?

In what way? How is the old definition of the word ‘m*ngole’ still relevant in how people currently use this word?
Really?

The meaning "stupid" (or "idiot", or whatever other version of an insult meaning someone lacking intelligence) directly derives from the fact it was aimed at people with Down Syndrome - who almost exclusively have learning disabilities - because they superficially resemble Mongol peoples. It's literally why it means "stupid": because it originated as a term for people with a disability who were deemed to be stupid, becoming an insult by comparing someone to those people.

And shortened to a single syllables to make it better to yell as an insult.

It is and always has been an ableist term of abuse.

Ok, social issues aside (is there another thread for all that stuff?) there’s 1 week left until we race again, I’ve been chomping at the bit over summer break, can’t wait for the races to comes back. I generally don’t wake up early for races but it will be airing at 6am on the west coast so that’s not too bad, I’m soooo ready for F1 to return.

They are putting the pressure on Mick

Also the Trophy for Spa is very nice, I want one.

Last edited:
Back