Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 174 comments
Lung damage and muscle weakness caused by the virus is different to being infectious with the disease. Will Buxton has said he was feeling the effects of having had COVID well after having fought the virus off.

I don't mean whether he's contagious, I mean whether he's physically fit to race. I don't think he should have been cleared if he was still feeling under the weather.

@Jimlaad43 In situations such as this, would it be worth marshal posts having a rear jack to lift the rear wheels if they've locked? Obviously that woudn't be appropriate in places with grass or gravel, but somewhere like here would be useful, I would've thought. (Also assuming all the rear jack points are the same on all the cars.)

Roo
@Jimlaad43 In situations such as this, would it be worth marshal posts having a rear jack to lift the rear wheels if they've locked? Obviously that woudn't be appropriate in places with grass or gravel, but somewhere like here would be useful, I would've thought. (Also assuming all the rear jack points are the same on all the cars.)
Seems like a cheap-ish effective solution

Bottas can't keep up with Max and is getting dropped already

EDIT: both Mercedes can't keep up!

Last edited:
Roo

Got to bunch up the field at boring races somehow.

(I agree with your query though.)

Roo
The shape and weight of all cars are different underneath, plus ground clearance is often very minimal on cars - especially if they've lost a wheel. You're better to use a Safety Car and a JCB to move immovable cars because you can use the JCB to protect the marshal fiddling with the hoist. If you use a Jack, you have a marshal potentially lying down and fiddling with a heavy Jack to get under a tiny bit of floor - with little concentration focused on the cars approaching and no protection from a heavy lump of metal. Also the Jack can become a heavy projectile if hit.

Short Answer: No
Long answer: Too dangerous for something that needs to be customised and will be a faff.

Last edited:
The shape and weight of all cars are different underneath, plus ground clearance is often very minimal on cars - especially if they've lost a wheel. You're better to use a Safety Car an F a JCB to move immovable cars because you can use the JCB to protect the marshal fiddling with the hoist. If you use a Jack, you have a marshal potentially lying down and fiddling with a heavy Jack to get under a tiny bit of floor - with little concentration focused on the cars approaching and no protection from a heavy lump of metal. Also the Jack can become a heavy projectile if hit.

Short Answer: No
Long answer: Too dangerous for something that needs to be customised and will be a faff.

Fair enough. Rather than a road car jack I was thinking more about the rear jacks the pit crews use, which hook up and can lift a car in a second just using leverage, and then the car can be wheeled around. For use with mechanical failures rather than crashed cars or missing wheels. Made from aluminium I figured it would be light to move and (by F1 standards) cheap to manufacture.

Edit: Like this Indycar rear jack:

I know, one make series as opposed to F1, but I'm sure the jack points could be standardised through the regulations.

Last edited:
Roo
Fair enough. Rather than a road car jack I was thinking more about the rear jacks the pit crews use, which hook up and can lift a car in a second just using leverage, and then the car can be wheeled around. For use with mechanical failures rather than crashed cars or missing wheels. Made from aluminium I figured it would be light to move and (by F1 standards) cheap to manufacture.
All the cars have different shapes at the rear though, and what do we do when it's F2 or F3 or a Porsche Supercup car?

All the cars have different shapes at the rear though, and what do we do when it's F2 or F3 or a Porsche Supercup car?

That's what I wanted to find out. I didn't know if the rear jack points were the same across the board, and hoped you might. Thanks 👍

Last edited:
When is the last time the FIA decided to give a penalty in the race and not after?

The fight for 3rd in the championship shouldn't be decided in the stewards room after the race.

McLaren up 2 points on RP with Norris and Sainz in 6th and 7th, Stroll in 9th. Sainz incident to be investigated after the race. Eh?

Hamilton thinks the tires won't last until the end of the race, though that probably means that they will.

Back