Forza 4 vs GT5 physics

Which game do you find has superior physics?

• Gran Turismo 5

Votes: 68 31.5%
  • Forza 4

Votes: 103 47.7%
  • They are equal

Votes: 45 20.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It feels opposite to me. I seem to lose control way too often in FM4 without control.
Perhaps I'm too used to GT5, where I drive aggressively and produce great lap times. In FM4, I fly off the track in some corners because I'm too aggressive :mad:

The 2 games seem so different to me in the physics department. I can't honestly say which one is closer to the real deal since I don't really race IRL. But I do drive fast at times, on windy roads and around some corners near my house. I haven't flown off the road yet, so I'd have to give the upper hand to GT5 :mischievous:

This is the thing, playing FM4 at first i was like...... ice rink. Even more so than FM3. I sort of agreed with your comment above in bold.
But then lets be rational here, i've driven on track days and I played FM4 yesterday and decieded to look at the speedo as i approach corners. I'm going in at way excessive speeds! No wonder!
See its a game and the fear isnt there so i'm heading into corners at 80-100 mph!! So i took a step back and drove like i would IRL. And then it hits you, more so than FM3 more so than GT5.
Similar dare i say to Shift 2 and Race Pro, in that if you go to fast it will punish you, it wont flatter to decieve like GT5 or other games.
Once you get this you can then push till just on edge of the limit, and then thats the joy of Forza, hell thats the joy of driving on the limit full stop.....

Gonna say Forza 4 too.

I bought my first wheel (G27) to play GT5. At first I loved it, but I tired of it fairly quickly because once I mastered it, I found it too easy. I ended up selling the PS3 & the wheel because I found GT5 to be too flawed and not really fun (that U.I. urgh!)

So I bought a 360 and a Fanatec CSR for F4 -wow, that is seriously hard playing simulation with all assists off. I dabbled with some online A class yesterday and I got well and truly blitzed in every race (with F3 I got my online rank to 'champion' fairly quickly using the pad).

I played the F4 demo with the pad and I was impressed with the physics and that Zonda was a lot of fun, but boy there is so much more to the physics to deal with when using a wheel & pedals.

Gonna stick to rivals mode until I'm a lot more proficient before venturing online again!

Forza 4.

The tyre modelling alone is superior to GT5's and as a result the loading of grip, slip limits and breakaway is much, much more accurate. Load transfer and how differing suspension types manage said transfer is more realistically done.

Overall the differences between FM3 and FM4's physics are significant and even with the Spec 2.0 update on GT5, FM4 still manages to nudge ahead.

Scaff
I agreed on GTP and I agree here on FP.

I don't have a lot of experience with GT5, mainly playing it with Tanner (overdrive003 who should post more! >.>) when we were rooming together to go to Petit Le Mans. Though, both games have fairly realistic physics... and then... there are some super epic fails. Overall, I think Forza 4 is a smudge better.

It's really hard to say, and since 99% of my racing experience has been in my living room I'm probably not who should be answering this question.

Forza wins hands down for making me feel like I'm actually driving a car though, the only time I've ever felt more immersed in a racing experience was iRacing on a full motion rig. The sound, sense of speed and perspective all feel just right in Forza (or at least as I imagine they should be.)

First off i want to say i'm a fan of both the GT series and the FM series.

I've heavily played GT5 and played the abomination that was FM3.After FM3 i said i would never go back to Forza again.Well when the demo came out curiosity was killing me so i tried it.I thoroughly liked it so i decided to take a chance with the full title.

End result.I'm glad a made a purchase.Each car has it's own characteristics and if you don't brake at the right time you are flying off the track or going round in a circle.I'm very impressed in what Turn 10 was able to do with this game.I give the upper hand to Turn 10 on this one. 👍

I've played FM3 in arcade mode, so Im not sure if this is accurate but it feels to me like
Ferrari 458 vs McLaren MP4-12C
One which has alot of feeling, fun, etc. The other is just good, in a technical sense.

My opinion, and its probably not very accurate.

I don't have enough seat time with GT5 to go into a deep analysis of the ways the games differ, and I want more time with FM4 before reaching a "final" conclusion on it...but I gotta agree with Scaff that FM4's new tire model is so great there's really no question about it.

I prefer Forza 4 for the simple reason that it feels better on my wheel, the force feedback in gt5 is mute. yes it feels heavy and you feel bumps but where is the feel for under steer, over steer and when you tires are on the limit, I dont feel it in my wheel so I prefer Forza. Plus trying to beat the f1 drivers times in the suzuki is alot of fun.

FM4. The physics with the FF of the CSR make it feel like I know when the tires are gripping and when they are slipping and I feel like when I slightly miss a braking point I can brake harder and still make the turn (albeit slower) and in GT5 when that happens you are f'ed no matter what you try and do. I also love how when I shift in FM4 I feel/see the hood of the car bump forward slightly, something I don't recall happening in GT5 unless I let the RPM's get really high before shifiting.

When playing GT5 with the CSR it feels exactly like I am using a controller again since I think the FF in GT5 is all wonky and is probably the reason why I think FM4 physics are better. If they fix that, I might give them equal physics.

Jerome

I agree with what others have said about FM4's tire physics. Playing with a wheel, you can really feel when you are driving on the edge and about to loose traction. Where FM4 fails in my opinion is how smooth the tracks feel -it needs more bumpiness. I think both games are fairly similar, but I would give the slight edge to FM4.

(I know it's off topic, but I gave up on GT5 because as a game, it just wasn't fun, oh and that screen tearing / frame rate drop!!!)

I am a console sim tart, I will play and favour whichever is best, I have no brand loyalty, I just want to race realistic, pretty & FUN virtual cars!

I feel like when I slightly miss a braking point I can brake harder and still make the turn (albeit slower) and in GT5 when that happens you are f'ed no matter what you try and do.
In my opinion 4za is still clinging to that same flaw, which has persisted through the entire series. By braking late and inducing oversteer, you should be able to scrub off more speed than you can in this game. The problem was significantly worse in the first three games, so the Pirelli tire model has helped quite a lot, but there are still kinks in the kinetics side of the physics engine, and oversteer is slightly goofy.

The warning signs are in the INSANE drifts you can pull by hanging onto the handbrake for what seems like forever...or the easy-mode FWD drifting when you just hold the handbrake the whole time. You just keep going, mostly unperturbed. It's really fun. But the physics have room for improvement.

I'm not a drifter by any means and I hope they do improve that for those that do drift. I was also wondering what came of the 'automatic oversteer correction' that people were talking about during the FM4 release. Or did that have more to do with the wheel using 270 degree mode?

Jerome

I just picked up an Xbox primarily to play FM4.

I already had a PS3 for GT5.

Disclaimer: I play exclusively with a controller.

I've only played FM4 for a few hours now, but the feel is remarkably similar to GT5. So far, it feels like GT5 does weight transfer better (also visually which helps a lot), but FM4 does tyre physics better (despite the lack of rumble it feels like you get more feedback from it). Otherwise the games seem very similar.

A benchmark car for me is the TVR Speed 12 which is an absolute beast to try and control without aids with a controller - Both games handle the car about the same, though FM4 is slightly more 'wild' compared to GT5 in the standard tune, but it handles a little better aswell (GT5 version has a massive amount of understeer).

I'm not a drifter by any means and I hope they do improve that for those that do drift. I was also wondering what came of the 'automatic oversteer correction' that people were talking about during the FM4 release. Or did that have more to do with the wheel using 270 degree mode?

Jerome

If you have a 900 degree wheel (Fanatec wheel) as soon as the car starts to slide and you apply counter steer it changes the maximum lock from 900 degrees to 270. Basically it turns small counter steering inputs into full opposite lock. It's disconcerting and unrealistic and takes some of the challenge (and predictability and natural feeling) out of the driving. They've been 'investigating' it for over a month (they should've noticed it in testing, it's painfully obvious for anyone with any kind of clue how a car drives). Still no patch.

If you have a 900 degree wheel (Fanatec wheel) as soon as the car starts to slide and you apply counter steer it changes the maximum lock from 900 degrees to 270. Basically it turns small counter steering inputs into full opposite lock. It's disconcerting and unrealistic and takes some of the challenge (and predictability and natural feeling) out of the driving. They've been 'investigating' it for over a month (they should've noticed it in testing, it's painfully obvious for anyone with any kind of clue how a car drives). Still no patch.

The 270>900 mapping issue has been patched.

I have noticed with the steering patch you must be much more precise with the wheel. Correcting a slide is much more difficult (as it should be at higher speeds).
After adjusting my wheel settings and getting used to the steering I'm loving the new challenge this has brought to the game and the smoothness of the fixed steering has really taken the gameplay up a notch. 👍

Am I alone in thinking that the sim steering setting with a controller has also improved after the update?

Anyone else found this to be the case or am I just going mad?

Scaff

You could be onto something but I'm not sure. It felt a bit different to me as well, especially trying to take the tail happy F1 around Camino.

The assist that used to be present when countersteering appears to be gone or very heavily reduced.

Scaff

I'll have to try that today; it would be very good news if it's true. Sim Steering was positively neurotic in countersteering before.

Your feedback would be very valuable, keep in mind this was based on a ten minute blast after the update, but I could swear its different.

Scaff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back