Give us better sounds - PLEASE !!

• Thread starter steamcat
  • 4,667 comments
they are completely genuine, believe me... (I was also shocked by the PR crap concerning sound on Shift2), but this is the real thing recorded by a pre-alpha member (not an official video). If you were a member, you would play with these same sound in the game.

R.S
GT does not have any sound characteristics of a car drivetrain. It's is simply rev up and rev down, there's no pops, no backfires, no gearchanges, no transmission sound under deceleration, no feeling of "holy **** this thing has 1100HP"... nothing.
No transmission sound, no pop off or backfire noise from engine breaking after throttle blip? Oh a HDMI card would be nice right about now. How about you add my PSN tag so I can show you myself. "GTP_Striker"

No transmission sound, no pop off or backfire noise from engine breaking after throttle blip? Oh a HDMI card would be nice right about now. How about you add my PSN tag so I can show you myself. "GTP_Striker"
Why is it every time you say you can prove something, there's always some technological limitation in the way of you proving it? You don't have an "hdmi card" (whatever that is), wrong file format, can't upload to youtube etc. etc. You have zero credibility.

A HDMI caption card @Johnnypenso. One of the cars that I drive often that I know has pop of after throttle blip is the Subaru GT300 car. Run the bumper view, you'll see, hear the backfire as I hear in other cars as well. It even doesn't have to be a race car the sound is still there.

In all fairness, the diesel 12's in the R10 and 908 don't sound drastically different and the R18 is closely harmonically related to the diesel 12 so if you could only get one recording of a diesel 6/12 it's not too egregious to use that recording on those three cars. The gasoline TT V8 in the Speed 8 is quite different though.

Yeah, at least the loops used are from a straight six. The R18 and R10 sound substantially different to my ears, only going by recordings, but it reinforces what I'd expect given their respective engine configurations and plumbing, despite the similar harmonic basis (the inline triple). It can be hard at first to listen past the Diesel timbre, much as it can be for rotaries or two-strokes, but as with those two examples, as I'm sure you're aware, there is the same depth of variation to be found (e.g. straight 6, V6). It'd be nice to have that variation in the game, even if many people might not appreciate it - they can always learn! EDIT: fixed the video links and found some more: V8, straight 5, triple.

You could, instead, use the same "source" (not samples, per se) for the Diesel racers, though, and "filter" it differently according to the engine configuration to "cheat" and still get all these different sounds automatically. ;)
I must say, Project Cars is improving greatly in the last couple of builds... This, you won't hear in GT:

For the external sounds, the biggest improvement is in the sensible volume scaling, high frequency attenuation and reverb send with respect to distance - i.e. mixing and localising. The next improvement, for their goals, is the use of far-field recordings, which have that nice, pre-baked "distant" colouration to them, instead of the usual "dry" close-mic'd recordings.

Unfortunately, you can hear that colouration vary over the duration of the loops (as the car moved through the terrain, or presented a different angle to the mic when being recorded) and doesn't change in-game with respect to the actual terrain or the angle it presents in the virtual world, outside of a few few filtering tricks (which can't mask / remove the existing colouration, only add their own), but that's an unfortunate side-effect of relying on samples to do part of your spatialising for you. iRacing has been using far-field recordings for a while now and I think that's how SMS got the idea (it was the same guy, I think).

The interior is pretty standard fare for now, but they've got some nice DSP embellishments that add a bit of life and a sense of being in a metal cage, effectively. The synthetic gear change wobbles are still too deeply modulated and too slow in oscillation (audio tick rate issue), also too uniform in terms of the "wobble" waveform used. I hope they can fix that because it'll benefit the whole system.

Last edited:
They are doing it again! Remember the Corvette hot lap trailer in Shift2?

I was speacless.... than the reality came:

For me, the biggest crime came in form of the Pagani Huayra. They make a promo of the car with the Zonda R engine sound dubbed over it, then in the gameplay it sounds Disproportionaly distorted, both times not even sounding like the actual car itself (that they ironically had "Exclusive" access to before Turn 10 and PD).

I'm really curious about the recording technique pcars is using. To my ears the cars all sound awkwardly doubled (or phased or flanged or chorused or something along those lines), or like there's a reverb attached to the car at a sample level. There's also a slow, washy harmonic "sshhhhwwwwhhhhhsssshhhhwwwhhhhsss" kind of thing that I hear on most of the cars (the zakspeed capri shows it most prominently I think). I have a couple ideas on how that happens but my guess is they've taken a not-even-RPM recording, pitch-corrected the sample to be even, and cut a loop from it causing really weird harmonics oscillating slowly. In Dude27's video you can hear it pretty well in the top gear run at 0:59 or so. My guess is they're having to do this off of very limited recordings, possibly even not-dedicated recording sessions (ie strapping mics to a car in a race). That all being said, pCars is doing a lot of great things for car sounds and I'm glad to see them pushing the boundaries. Obviously showing a game in its state is tough to make judgement calls as there's still tons of polish to come.

@Chippy569 - I think that effect is due to their use of what I call "far field recordings". There is a built-in "localisation" in the samples, as you say, that is then overlayed with the audio engine's own comparatively primitive localisation effects (as these things only can be, for now, sadly). So you get the "washy" (I call it that too) distant sounds, and variation in that "washiness" inherent to the samples because of the dynamic situation being recorded at the time, plus whatever effects due to what the car is supposed to be doing in the game.

Compare iRacing, as they use the same idea (but different attenuation profiles etc. and less reverb).

My opinion is that "dry" recordings will come back into favour once better source scattering, including radiation patterns and so-called "sonic signatures", can be implemented in games efficiently. That will also benefit real-time, fully synthetic sounds, since they can be overly dry-sounding simply for not having the benefit of a natural radiation effect applied / inherent to them, no matter how incongruous that might be to the action on the screen.

A HDMI caption card @Johnnypenso. One of the cars that I drive often that I know has pop of after throttle blip is the Subaru GT300 car. Run the bumper view, you'll see, hear the backfire as I hear in other cars as well. It even doesn't have to be a race car the sound is still there.

So in all the other direct capture videos of GT5 and GT6 online, it's just a coincidence none of them use a car that features these enhanced sounds? How curious.

You know what sounds better then any sim? Real life :sly:

End of argument.

So in all the other direct capture videos of GT5 and GT6 online, it's just a coincidence none of them use a car that features these enhanced sounds? How curious.
Maybe you have to step-tune to hear the proper sounds?

In all fairness, the diesel 12's in the R10 and 908 don't sound drastically different and the R18 is closely harmonically related to the diesel 12 so if you could only get one recording of a diesel 6/12 it's not too egregious to use that recording on those three cars. The gasoline TT V8 in the Speed 8 is quite different though.

I can't say nothing about the R10, but the R18 and the 908 sound very differently when you compare each other.

Does your whiz bang HDMI card make the Pagani Huayra sound like a pagani Huayra too? If so I need to get me one of those

I did not say "No transmission sound" I said no "no transmission sound under deceleration". Racing or even low-price sportscar transmission make very different and characteristic sound under deceleration.

I hear plenty of artificial and sterile throttle blip and plenty of weird wastegate noise and on the car you talk about. But never heard a real pop or any noise like a backfire.

On another note, what you guys think of this video. Is it dubbed (and well matched), or is it GT6 + distorted TV speakers + Distorted Microphone + H-shifter/clutch ??? It sounds much meaner than any other I've heard from GT.

GT6, mainly because the distinctive sound of the time loops AND because it says so in the title :sly:

R.S
I did not say "No transmission sound" I said no "no transmission sound under deceleration". Racing or even low-price sportscar transmission make very different and characteristic sound under deceleration.

I hear plenty of artificial and sterile throttle blip and plenty of weird wastegate noise and on the car you talk about. But never heard a real pop or any noise like a backfire.

On another note, what you guys think of this video. Is it dubbed (and well matched), or is it GT6 + distorted TV speakers + Distorted Microphone + H-shifter/clutch ??? It sounds much meaner than any other I've heard from GT.

How can you hear from the outside of the car with all that racket? I can hear it on a few cars when I'm n the cockpit, in fact that all I use in the cockpit, haven't used the bumper since the cockpit were introduced and I never ran third person or hood. Have you tried any premium cars yet?

R.S
It sounds mean as hell when the turbo winds up at around 0:45

It shows how much some different balancing/mastering and some sort of actual gear shift sound makes a difference. Although the video is very distorted and almost deafening, it has a fun sound.

Yep, there's no question the framework is there in the overall control, they just need to get these new sounds to us ASAP.

R.S
Is it dubbed (and well matched), or is it GT6 + distorted TV speakers + Distorted Microphone + H-shifter/clutch ??? It sounds much meaner than any other I've heard from GT.
This is actually a really fascinating psychological effect that I want to look more into sometime in my life. An off-camera recording will often sound more intense than the direct sound. If you took a direct feed video and an off-camera like this one people would universally say the off-camera sounds "better" - not sure why that is but it works with everything that doesn't have speech or music in it.

This is actually a really fascinating psychological effect that I want to look more into sometime in my life. An off-camera recording will often sound more intense than the direct sound. If you took a direct feed video and an off-camera like this one people would universally say the off-camera sounds "better" - not sure why that is but it works with everything that doesn't have speech or music in it.

Definitely, that happens all the time.

Perhaps its a bit like how a black and white degraded photo has much more character and feeling than a full-colour full detail photo does... leaves a bit more to the imagination.

However that video has a few more effects than just being low quality.

"Sound Makes Everything". That's definitely a shot over PD's bow.:cheers: Even on my tv speakers it sounds better than just about every car in GT:eek: The Zonda sounds like it should - an angry girlfriend that want's to rip your face off after she found you in bed with her sister:lol:
Do you guys really think this sounds real??

The only way i would discribe those sounds are "way too much distorted" and pretty artificial!

Back