Give us better sounds - PLEASE !!

• Thread starter steamcat
  • 4,667 comments
Watch this.

It sounds more authentic than anything PD has ever done, easily.
*They even managed to get the racing exhaust sound right.

Ok, this sound good, apart from the tire sounds and the high rpm sound (which are sounding very artificial). But the sounds from that video are very different than those massive distorted sounds from that other video!

Ok, this sound good, apart from the tire sounds and the high rpm sound (which are sounding very artificial). But the sounds from that video are very different than those massive distorted sounds from that other video!
I've never heard a BAC MONO or a RUF RGT-8, but I was easily able to identify the engine configuration.
At first I though, "they messed up big on this Porsche, it sounds like a V8"... Then I googled the RGT-8.
The Zonda-R sounds a little distorted, but that's a lot better that just compressing the dynamic range without distorting it, like GT. The "sample" itself sounds 10 x 5.74^12 times better than the Zonda R in GT.
Anyway, I agree that some of the effects are rather poor, and poorly implemented, but it is still a beta (unlike GT6 that apparently is a finished product, yeah...).

Listen to the video again, 2:25-2:30
Those 5 seconds alone is enough for me to consider PC over GT7.

I've never heard a BAC MONO or a RUF RGT-8, but I was easily able to identify the engine configuration.
At first I though, "they messed up big on this Porsche, it sounds like a V8"... Then I googled the RGT-8.
The Zonda-R sounds a little distorted, but that's a lot better that just compressing the dynamic range without distorting it, like GT. The "sample" itself sounds 10 x 5.74^12 times better than the Zonda R in GT.
Anyway, I agree that some of the effects are rather poor, and poorly implemented, but it is still a beta (unlike GT6 that apparently is a finished product, yeah...).

You should probably wait until you know what GT7 will sound like. I'm fed up with mangled recordings.

It's not in beta stage. It's not even in alpha stage, that is still pre-alpha footage. There are lots of placeholders in the game as of now.

It's not in beta stage. It's not even in alpha stage, that is still pre-alpha footage. There are lots of placeholders in the game as of now.
Ok, I didn't know that.
The McLaren sounds almost perfect though.
The induction bark shouldn't go up in frequency like it did, but those lovely intake resonance transitions were perfect.
The exhaust sounded more or less exactly like a F1 GTR.

Do you guys really think this sounds real??

The only way i would discribe those sounds are "way too much distorted" and pretty artificial!
Seems Pagani also got the sound wrong because it also sounds pretty distorted:

Seems Pagani also got the sound wrong because it also sounds pretty distorted:

In that PC Cars Video, at 3:18 in Cockpit View - do you really think that car sounds like that in real life?

And recorded videos often are distorted because the microphones arent capable to record everything correctly for such loud sounds a car like that Zonda R produces!

In that PC Cars Video, at 3:18 in Cockpit View - do you really think that car sounds like that in real life?

And recorded videos often are distorted because the microphones arent capable to record everything correctly for such loud sounds a car like that Zonda R produces!
I don't know if it sounds like that in the cockpit, but the rest of it sounds very close considering its an unfinished videogame.

I think it probably would, based on my limited experience. If you have ever been inside a real race car & driven it in anger on a track, you'd remember just how loud & brutal it sounds. It's nothing like being in a normal car at all. Even when I drove a Clio Cup race car at a track day once, I was simply astounded at how distorted & compressed the engine sounded. And you'll never guess of what game it reminded me of? It was the Shift demo for PS3!

"Sound Makes Everything". That's definitely a shot over PD's bow.:cheers: Even on my tv speakers it sounds better than just about every car in GT:eek: The Zonda sounds like it should - an angry girlfriend that want's to rip your face off after she found you in bed with her sister:lol:

:lol:

Dude I'm sorry, but when has what anyone has done gotten PD's attention? I just find all these comments on how "PD has competition!!" or anything similar hilarious as it honestly seems like they barely notice anything outside their realm. Maybe the fan that made the video was doing that (which isn't a surprise), but its about as effective in communicating an issue as really most of these complaint threads are.

Watch this.

It sounds more authentic than anything PD has ever done, easily.
*They even managed to get the racing exhaust sound right.

Not that hard really. Hell, all the videos I've done sound more authentic then anything PD has done.

Dude I'm sorry, but when has what anyone has done gotten PD's attention? I just find all these comments on how "PD has competition!!" or anything similar hilarious as it honestly seems like they barely notice anything outside their realm. Maybe the fan that made the video was doing that (which isn't a surprise), but its about as effective in communicating an issue as really most of these complaint threads are.

Not that hard really. Hell, all the videos I've done sound more authentic then anything PD has done.
I'm just speculating as to the intent of the wording in the title. Its a given it will go over PD's head, but a funny inside joke nonetheless.

Yeah but the videos you make are just dubs and no offence but that's a lot easier than actually getting the sounds working in a game for real.

Yeah but the videos you make are just dubs and no offence but that's a lot easier than actually getting the sounds working in a game for real.

I know, it was pretty much just a joking response.

I'm just speculating as to the intent of the wording in the title. Its a given it will go over PD's head, but a funny inside joke nonetheless.

The trend in the build up of tech supporting the eventual sound update indicates that, for some time, PD know that "sound makes everything". That's likely why they've taken such a risk in re-evaluating the whole process from the ground up.

The gamble, of course, is getting something working and into the public eye ear within a "reasonable" time-frame. The other gamble is whether or not you can actually deliver an improvement with all that effort - my own experiments say yes, certainly in terms of expression.

However, the work they've been doing goes far beyond experimenting with recording tricks or multi-tapped reverb sends, and that's just looking at GT5 Prologue. For instance, the relativistic source mixing is a serious statement of intent in itself - that's something that other developers have tried, but because it immediately leads to more problems (that require more ground-up solutions, and the understanding to go with it), it's quickly abandoned. PD stuck with it, and now it more or less works perfectly.

Again, it's taken them a long time to achieve that, and that's the gamble (one they perhaps under-estimated). In any progressive endeavour, risks have to be taken; otherwise you just end up standing in the same place.

The trend in the build up of tech supporting the eventual sound update indicates that, for some time, PD know that "sound makes everything". That's likely why they've taken such a risk in re-evaluating the whole process from the ground up.

The gamble, of course, is getting something working and into the public eye ear within a "reasonable" time-frame. The other gamble is whether or not you can actually deliver an improvement with all that effort - my own experiments say yes, certainly in terms of expression.

However, the work they've been doing goes far beyond experimenting with recording tricks or multi-tapped reverb sends, and that's just looking at GT5 Prologue. For instance, the relativistic source mixing is a serious statement of intent in itself - that's something that other developers have tried, but because it immediately leads to more problems (that require more ground-up solutions, and the understanding to go with it), it's quickly abandoned. PD stuck with it, and now it more or less works perfectly.

Again, it's taken them a long time to achieve that, and that's the gamble (one they perhaps under-estimated). In any progressive endeavour, risks have to be taken; otherwise you just end up standing in the same place.

What evidence of this do you have? The RB X'14 sounds?

Which part, specifically? (Incidentally, how's your cousin, IDKFA? :P)

I personally used more IDDQD and "no clip". ;)

Now I feel old...:lol:

(totally out of topic...:dopey:)

On topic...sounds yes, we need cars to sound like the real ones.

PS: Now my comment won´t be deleted. :sly::D

Regardless if Pcars vehicles sound 100% real or not it's a HUGE step up from GT6 and I for one will be picking it up on released day,I've heard and seen nothing but good things about it.If PD wants to be stubborn and not listen to their consumers then that's on them,maybe they'll finally realize when they see half of there estimated earnings for GT7 not show up.

Last edited:
Here's the thing to remember though: We the hardcore/enthusiasts know about both sims. The casual audience know what GT is, they have no idea what PCARS is so on name and general awareness alone, I almost see no reason that Sony will worry about PCARS encroaching on PD's audience or sales. There has to be a way to make the name Pop up regularly.

I think we all can tell PD don't care atm but if project CARS is a success at release they will truly wet themselves
Success for a PC sim is 2 million sales. It's a completely different market. The sounds are pretty good, I'll have to say, and fade into the distance in videos quite realistically.

I'm not sure if Griff is right or not. The PS3 is being pushed pretty hard, harder than GT5 did, so what PD and their partner Yamaha can manage, I'm not sure. From Griff's own experiments, he's sure they can accomplish something tight, well timed and efficient. We'll just have to see.

I'll have to reiterate though that too many of you guys carry on as if PD haven't improved sounds at all. As if that GT5 Spec 1 to Spec 2 sound comparison video doesn't exist. The HSV and Red Bull Jr sound pretty darn good. A lot of street cars sound really close. My Supra does (did). You would help your cause more if you had at least one foot on the ground.

the primary reason why I said 'they will wet themselves' is not because of the potential sales, it is because the quality of the games features.
Well, "quality of game" and "successful game" usually mean different things. ;)

And we'll have to see. As it is, GT6 on PS3 is being compared favorably, to my surprise, against next gen competition like Forza 5 and P CARS. Sure, the shortcomings are routinely pointed out, the sounds, the Standard cars and tracks, the ugly shadows, the still-apparent edge distortions bordering particle effects, very limited light sources, weird bot A.I. and other things. And yet, GT6 has a lot of next-genness about it. I insist that, other than sounds and certain missing features, PD have nothing to be ashamed about. All those next gen racers really should be spanking GT6, and yet, there it is being comparative and competitive to these guys. That amazes me. This is still a good game.

Rather than filling me with dismay, this is exactly why I have faith in Kaz and his team to produce an exceptional experience on PS4, precisely because GT6 doesn't look like a six year old game. Replays can trick people into thinking they're watching real life racing footage, and the racing experience for most people is very satisfying. For all the mocking I get over my Standard car pics, they look pretty darn sweet, which is itself amazing considering how old those models are.

GT5 Prologue surprised a lot of people, and I expect GT7 to do the same.

1. Here's the thing to remember though: We the hardcore/enthusiasts know about both sims. The casual audience know what GT is, they have no idea what PCARS is so on name and general awareness alone, I almost see no reason that Sony will worry about PCARS encroaching on PD's audience or sales. There has to be a way to make the name Pop up regularly.
    I'm sure as it gets closer to release date we'll see more publicity from them,whether it's from them,youtubers,or word of mouth.You gotta remember this game has been rumoring to come out for a very long time and when they finally have a set release date I think people are going to start hyping it up

Its on the ps4, xbone and wii U (why?) so its not a dedicated PC Sim in case you didn't know. The popularity of project CARS should be spread with advertising, positive reviews (I'm sure it will be good at release) and the primary reason why I said 'they will wet themselves' is not because of the potential sales, it is because the quality of the games features.
Wii has nothing even close to PCars. I think PCars being a multi-system game is a huge bonus. It means much wider popularity than it would have if it was PC or console exclusive and the more it sells the better the second version will be, even though the first one looks more than good enough to occupy me for quite a while. In 2 or 3 years it could well dominate the racing sim market. Sounds alone make the GT series seem ancient by comparison.

Back