Gran Turismo 5 : Official Multiscreen Review & Setup Guide : 100+ Images

• Thread starter Mr Latte
  • 211 comments
Awesome guide,
I can only wish to have this set-up in the future, but i dont think my budget will quite allow me for 3 ps3's and 3 monitors for just this game. I can dream though, it must be a really immersive experience.

Just a note, it might be worth putting "56k warning" in the title as its very image heavy and on slower connections it would struggle, mind you are many people on dial-up anymore?!

But thank you for enlightening me, and making me insanely jealous! :cheers::bowdown:

Hi, their will be more detailed "cockpit views" and examples of the STD/NAR1/NAR2 shown in the next UPDATE. Their isnt really enough cockpits shown yet.

I love this one...
sAMBel.jpg

lOjTll.jpg

If theirs a particular car you want to see demonstrated this way let me know but do take into account their is so much variation between the Hardware & Quick Options available. I found even 75 which is bang in the middle of the hardware options to be a bit too close for some cars.

Everyone to their own taste I guess.
Nice pics man. I would like to see any Corvette (prem and not that Custom old school Vette, well you could throw that in if you want lol) and open top cars.

Yeah some really good photos will come at the end, trust me!!!

Actually i am using a standalone 8 port switch. Yesterday was a "good connection day" again and i was in gaming heaven with 458 Italia. I can finally admit that GT5 is superior compared to FM3. BUT, the multiscreen is 1000 times easier to use and a LOT smoother on XBOX360.

Curious to understand what causes these blips for some people?
Have you "Clients" set to their own settings or as "Same As Server"
Re-do the "Internet Connection Test" via PS3 settings.
Let me know what the cause is if you find it please.

For me FM3 is inferior in many ways to GT5 Multiscreens.
I hope FM4 does more and takes ideas from how they are in GT5.

For example just as I was discussing via PM for starters you do not need 3x DLC purchased, yeah M$ lol.
GT5 operates from one "Client" not needing the same cars on all console game saves/accounts.
Replays work in both ARCADE and GT LIFE mode not requiring the FM3 "Photomode Bug".
Easier configuration, more options and initiate mode are further benefits.

If anything GT5 Multiscreens could of been a lot worse than it is.

Lets hear more experiences of those that get it, so come on lads!
Stega what about you, be great to get your feedback and compare the experience to the 3DTV one.

Last edited:

I've been blown away by it to be honest. To such an extent that two new 360's will be purchased when FM4 is released and I'll be getting a triplehead2go asap. It just adds so much to the experience. I had created a new PSN account so I could take part in GTP comps and hadn't been bothered to complete the licences with gold. But have spent the past three nights with my new setup golding all the licences and just having a blast. Each time really looking forward to see which car was next and what the cockpit looked like. Always been a bumper view user as I was always quicker when compared to cockpit. But now I can use cockpit and actually feel like I've got an advantage over bumper view. The immersion factor increases tenfold. Greatest leap in my gaming life for as long as I can remember.

What is this FM3 Photomode Bug you speak of?

IIRC as it has been quite a while since I played it replays were only single screen. If you went into "Photomode" then it displayed in multiscreen mode.

Not sure if it was ever patched but thats what I remember though.

For example just as I was discussing via PM for starters you do not need 3x DLC purchased, yeah M$ lol.
Just playing devil's advocate here...but in FM3 the only paid DLC you need on all of your xboxes is for the tracks (and there is only one, the Nurnburgring GP track). For the cars, all you need is the sample pack for your client xboxes (these include all the car models for the paid pack), and these samples are free. You only need the paid DLC car packs on your main 360.

Also I'm a bit confused on what modes work with the multiscreen setup in GT5. I was under the impresion it was only available in Arcade races, but from what I'm reading here it also works in your career? Does it work when racing online?

Just playing devil's advocate here...but in FM3 the only paid DLC you need on all of your xboxes is for the tracks (and there is only one, the Nurnburgring GP track). For the cars, all you need is the sample pack for your client xboxes (these include all the car models for the paid pack), and these samples are free. You only need the paid DLC car packs on your main 360.

Also I'm a bit confused on what modes work with the multiscreen setup in GT5. I was under the impresion it was only available in Arcade races, but from what I'm reading here it also works in your career? Does it work when racing online?

From the OP.

*Some features such as tracks created in Course Maker, 2P Split Screen racing, and B-Spec are not compatible with the multi-monitor feature.

Everything else is, and yes, it is awesome!

When it released you needed the content on all machines including cars unlocked.
If you did not have this then you got a default cockpit on the additional screens. Err it was a VW or something.

Perhaps that got patched but the point isnt worth creating a debate now particulary as they released the version with all content added and this can be picked up real cheap these days. Although what about 3x Xbox Live subscriptions to play online eh.

It will be however interesting if they force DLC on all consoles in FM4.
However I wont criticise as Im willing to pay as I appreciate the feature even being their.
The only reason for inclusion of FM3 in the report is to show that Microsoft/Sony do seem to use their "AAA Racing Franchises" as console sellers and promote their own brand while competing against each other.

I wish Codemasters and EA with SHIFT2 added Multiscreens for consoles though but it is quite strange that only titles from the console manufacturers get multiscreen support. Well maye not strange because it is in their interest to gain additional hardware sales but isnt in the interest of a software only developer. They would get no return on the development to include such I guess.

For me PC just doesnt appeal anymore with all their issues but maybe one day again.

Last edited:
Not bad! Not bad at all. I mean this thread. Good work and appreciate all the work you did to create this thread.

When it released you needed the content on all machines including cars unlocked.
If you did not have this then you got a default cockpit on the additional screens. Err it was a VW or something.
No, I've had a triple screen setup in Forza since FM2 and I never had to buy DLC for the side screens except for the tracks. The samples have always worked for cars (in FM2 and FM3). This I am 100% sure of.

Thanks for the topic anyway, I'm on the fence about getting two more PS3s. One thing holding me back was that I thought it only worked in Arcade exhibition races (like BAJA: Edge of Control)

Perhaps that got patched but the point isnt worth creating a debate now particulary as they released the version with all content added and this can be picked up real cheap these days.

Don't want to turn this in to a FM3 thread, but if anyone is interested in getting FM3 multiscreen, you have to have all the same version of FM3 disks to work. Either all the disks have to be the orginal FM3 or all the disks have to be Forza 3 Ultimate Collection. You cannot mix the two as they won't connect to each other. I found this out the hard way.

If you have the the orginal FM3 disks and want the DLC cars, then you have to pay for the car packs on the server machine and on the side screen machines all you have to do is download the sample cars for each DLC pack and then the cockpits and cars will show up on the side screens. For the one Nurb GP DLC track, you would have to buy the DLC on all the machines for the track to work in multiscreen. If you buy the FUC editions then the Nurb GP track is already included along with all the DLC cars plus 10 extra cars.

No, I've had a triple screen setup in Forza since FM2 and I never had to buy DLC for the side screens except for the tracks. The samples have always worked for cars (in FM2 and FM3). This I am 100% sure of.

Thanks for the topic anyway, I'm on the fence about getting two more PS3s. One thing holding me back was that I thought it only worked in Arcade exhibition races (like BAJA: Edge of Control)

We seem to have different experiences. I had 3x LE versions on release and my account from memory was that DLC was needed for each machine in the UK using the LE original discs. Their were even issues reported of all FM3 discs needing to be the same versions with problems of the FUC.

From the official forums:
"I did the FUC install just as has been instructed on this site. To my shock though the side screens would not connect to the center screen that had the FUC disk 1.
I was able to put a original disk 1 in the center machine and it worked, but not perfectly.
Depending on how I installed on the side machines (FUC disk 2 contents on side machines or just sample car pack) I had two options but neither was perfect.
Either the 3 Stig cars did not show on the side screens (black VW Bora or whatever it is) or correct cars on all screens but paints didn't show up on side screens for the 7 non Stig cars (weird).
"

FatnSlo yes I see you are aware of this topic thank you for the confirmation.

Thats enough about it though, no FM Vs GT wars.

Dont sit on the fence my friend, In GT5 a benefit of ARCADE mode is being able to play it with 16 cars not 12 cars like many "GT Life" races or sometimes less. Its great with 16 cars as Ive overtaken more cars in 2 corners than FM3 has in a race, lol. :sly:

Last edited:
Yeah some really good photos will come at the end, trust me!!!

Curious to understand what causes these blips for some people?
Have you "Clients" set to their own settings or as "Same As Server"
Re-do the "Internet Connection Test" via PS3 settings.
Let me know what the cause is if you find it please.

GT5 operates from one "Client" not needing the same cars on all console game saves/accounts.
Replays work in both ARCADE and GT LIFE mode not requiring the FM3 "Photomode Bug".
Easier configuration, more options and initiate mode are further benefits.

If anything GT5 Multiscreens could of been a lot worse than it is.

Stega what about you, be great to get your feedback and compare the experience to the 3DTV one.

Believe me pal, i have tried everything. The cache, signed in/out psn network, cables, switches, use/not use client settings. Some days it just performs better with no reason whatsoever. Maybe it's just that xbox live works better than psn? It's just like an Ozzy song; "doooon't aaaask me, I DON'T KNOW!" :dopey:

HadOne2Many

I totally forgot that Baja had this! Lol that game was so strange, HUGE worlds and tiny framerates. Dropping to rubbish whenever you found a building... but easily one of the most fun multiplayer games for me and my (10 year old) sister. We play hide-and-seek! :-D good times... but i can see why gt5 wont support 2p multi screen. But it doesnt do b-spec?? That is genuinely shocking!!!
About those curved displays, i knew they were pricey... but WOAH thats insane!
I'd still like to get one made with 5 imputs, a HUGE size, and a fast enough processor to cope with interlacing (wrong word) GT5... while im dreaming, does using multi monitor actually REQUIRE a wheel? Its obviously best though... and does multi monitor maybe 'gray out' all the 3D options, because having both working together would be simply (ridiculously expensive :sly:) Amazing!

I set my field of view at 60% so I can see my whole right side mirror. It also blends the TV borders with the frame of the car.

I do have a question. Is it common for the server IP to change every time I boot up the PS3? It seams that the clients keep the last saved address but the server does not causing me to go into the options every time I play.

I set my field of view at 60% so I can see my whole right side mirror. It also blends the TV borders with the frame of the car.

I do have a question. Is it common for the server IP to change every time I boot up the PS3? It seams that the clients keep the last saved address but the server does not causing me to go into the options every time I play.

That depends on the DHCP settings among other things.
How do you connect to the internet? Thru a router? If you are, you should be able to change the DHCP scope or dynamically set an IP according to the MAC-address on your PS3s in your router. If this sounds like gibberish to you, feel free to PM me for details. No need to clutter this thread with that info.

Last edited:
That depends on the DHCP settings among other things.
How do you connect to the internet? Thru a router? If you are, you should be able to change the DHCP scope or dynamically set an IP according to the MAC-address on your PS3s in your router. If this sounds like gibberish to you, feel free to PM me for details. No need to clutter this thread with that info.

Clutter away, would be great for Latte to add the instructions to his guide 👍

If someone has good knowledge of various router/network settings particulary with more complexed configurations then yes post up the typical requirements and settings PS3 should be used with.

I will edit and add them to the guide.
Several here will agree that the game is working for people with no lag, the only lag I have seen is online races with triple screens and 3x PS3 signed into PSN which is to be expected.

So if someone is experiencing lag issues with single player modes it has to be down to their hardware setup or settings.

Last edited:
Dont sit on the fence my friend, In GT5 a benefit of ARCADE mode is being able to play it with 16 cars not 12 cars like many "GT Life" races or sometimes less. Its great with 16 cars as Ive overtaken more cars in 2 corners than FM3 has in a race, lol. :sly:

I'm leaning lol. I'm working on the sales pitch to the wife right now. I figure if I shop around for 2 used PS3s I could be up and running for about $500. My only concern though is time, I've got another little one on the way in May so I imagine I won't get much gaming time in for the first few months after that.

I totally forgot that Baja had this! Lol that game was so strange, HUGE worlds and tiny framerates. Dropping to rubbish whenever you found a building... but easily one of the most fun multiplayer games for me and my (10 year old) sister. We play hide-and-seek! :-D good times...

Yeah Baja had it, but it was a complete mess of a failure (youtube it). If anyone is considering trying that game out on 3 screens, don't bother. Even at $5 per copy of the game I felt like I wasted my money.

Perhaps that got patched but the point isnt worth creating a debate now particulary as they released the version with all content added and this can be picked up real cheap these days. Although what about 3x Xbox Live subscriptions to play online eh.

It will be however interesting if they force DLC on all consoles in FM4.
However I wont criticise as Im willing to pay as I appreciate the feature even being their.
The only reason for inclusion of FM3 in the report is to show that Microsoft/Sony do seem to use their "AAA Racing Franchises" as console sellers and promote their own brand while competing against each other.

I wish Codemasters and EA with SHIFT2 added Multiscreens for consoles though but it is quite strange that only titles from the console manufacturers get multiscreen support. Well maye not strange because it is in their interest to gain additional hardware sales but isnt in the interest of a software only developer. They would get no return on the development to include such I guess.

For me PC just doesnt appeal anymore with all their issues but maybe one day again.

Only one gold subscription is need the 2 can be silver which is free and the ultimate edition contains all content but the VIP cars x5 but yeah you did need to purchase all dlc until this edition came out

Only one gold subscription is need the 2 can be silver which is free and the ultimate edition contains all content but the VIP cars x5 but yeah you did need to purchase all dlc until this edition came out

Yeah thanks, I remember my issue at the time was two of the X360s were used in different rooms so for me that was 2x Subscribtions needed and when I think back on it the 3rd X360 I got 2nd hand still had several months left on its subscription. I didnt just go out and buy 3xGold subs and yes your correct only 1 Gold is needed.

GT5 from the get go has no issues it seems mixing disc versions like FM3 seems to of had with multiplayer. I myself mix NTSC/PAL consoles but wonder has anyone tried setting up multiscreens with PAL/NTSC combination of discs. I expect it still to work as it is non regionalised disc however be good to have confirmation of this for the guide.

My own setup is:
1x 80GB USA PS3 / UK STD Edition Disc
1x 60GB UK PS3 / UK STD Edition Disc
1x 60GB UK PS3 / UK Signature Edition Disc

Stega did you ever get things sorted?

Last edited:
This is my initial setup with 3 X 24" monitors.

P1000230A.JPG

Frame Border 8%
Adjust Screen Angle 85%
Angle of Screen Curvature 70%
Screen distance to my eyes is somewhere near 76 Cm ~ 30 inch.
I started with a closer distance and sharper physical angle but that gave me motion sickness very fast.👎
I'm going to fine tune an other day, first I am going to play for a long time, even the license tests are fun again.

If someone has good knowledge of various router/network settings particulary with more complexed configurations then yes post up the typical requirements and settings PS3 should be used with.

I will edit and add them to the guide.
Several here will agree that the game is working for people with no lag, the only lag I have seen is online races with triple screens and 3x PS3 signed into PSN which is to be expected.

So if someone is experiencing lag issues with single player modes it has to be down to their hardware setup or settings.

The main part is to have the correct ports open in your router to the server PS3.
To be able to set a static IP on your PS3 you have to configure the DHCP service/server settings in the router. How that is done is dependent on the make of the router. There are two ways to set a static IP.

1: Set the IP on all your PS3 and reconfigure the DHCP settings in your router.
2: Record the MAC address on all your PS3. Set the IP in the DHCP settings in your router.
3: Dont forget to open the ports for GT5, only for the server PS3.

screenshot.11-03-2011 12.45.23 by sir.m00ndancer, on Flickr

screenshot.11-03-2011 13.02.21 by sir.m00ndancer, on Flickr

According to the posts above there is no need to have the client PS3 logged into PSN. If that is the case then keep them "offline" to minimize the network traffic on your broadband connection.

One more thing that is good to have is if the router have QoS (Quality of Service) settings I E setting to prioritize traffic to you server PS3. (I have done that to my PC and the PS3 in my house, the wife and kids share the last 10% of the bandwidth when I'm gaming) All settings for QoS is differently implemented in each brand of router. The QoS gives you the ability to allocate most of the bandwidth to one or several computers.
Quality of Service from Wikipedia

Another advice I have is that if you have cable/fibre/adsl with the router provided by our ISP then I would suggest that you buy your own router that you can configure and manage.

I have it configured this way:

Internet-ISP_Router-My_Private_router-LAN

That way I have full control over all the traffic in my LAN. I also had my ISP disable the WIFI on their router.

Need help with the settings? Post here and I see what I can help out with. (If it's settings in your router I suggest doing so thru PM for safety reasons)
General questions and help on where the settings are can be solved here.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Thanks m00ndancer...
Will look at adding in that info with a few other things and have done some tweaks/additions already to the guide today.

Wiptak, looking good so far, really makes you smile doesnt it....
Keep us posted on your settings and do feel free to show more of yours as others are welcome too.

* Ive noticed more car bugs which will all be reported on next update.

Finally got everything setup correctly. This has pretty much set the bar for all racing console games to follow. Can really appreciate all the work that went into the game. Seeing the shadows from the trees on the Nurb reflect off of both sides of the R10 is as good as it gets. *The buttkicker works really well with the R10 as well.

For folks reading this thread on the fence, it makes getting close to walls on an exit and passing the AI through tight turns (just do it on the outside) all the fun that it should be.

Just tried multiscreen on-line for the first time with GT5 and man it is awfull! Side screens out of sync often and they completely disconnected multiple times. I am a bit shocked. FM3 worked great on-line (even better than single player for me) while GT5 is the complete opposite. Guess it's single player only for me with GT5. Pretty gutted. Feel like I wasted my money.

I am also disappointed as I do have the same connection problems with online racing.
When all players have a good connection it works fine but the moment someone joins who causes lag then
both client PS3's timeout with a pop up "can not connect to server" [ok] (freely translated)
The pop up should at least have a "retry" possibility.

Back