Gran Turismo Racing Kart 125cc Shifter (Tuning and Strategy Guide - International A)

• Thread starter AUAxton
  • 105 comments
Australia
Adelaide, SA
DaUberIceman
Hello Everyone!

I'm a new poster here but a long time Gran Turismo Fan who has been playing since the release of the first GT.

I haven't been stuck on any races so far in my progression (All Gold in Events, Licences, Coffee Breaks, Missions, Goodwood Festival) in GT6 until I hit the International A - GT Kart Championship 125 Shifter.

As I found the balance of the previous Kart races to be quite easy, I found that the 125cc Shifters are difficult to handle in this race series, Finally getting gold on the tracks, I thought I may add the tuning I used to assist anyone else that were having the issues I was with:

- Loss of traction
- Spinning
- Throttle Control
- Braking

EDIT: Patch 1.05 has added Traction Control, Skid Force Recovery and Brake Balance to Racing Karts.
This Guide was written from Patch 1.00 > 1.04

Gran Turismo 6 (Patch Note for v1.05)

• Tuning options for karts have been expanded
- It is now possible to adjust the values of [Traction Control] and [Skid Force Recovery] in the [Driving Options] screen for karts.
- It is now possible to adjust the value of [Brake Balance] in the [Car Settings] Screen. For standard karts, only the rear can be adjusted while for shifter karts both the front and rear can be modified.

International A - GT Kart Championship 125 Shifter
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Race 1 - Brands Hatch Indy Circuit Tune:
(Front/Rear Weight Distribution - 50:50)

(Manual or Automatic) Drivetrain (Transmission):
Gear Setting = Max Speed (Defined Automatically) = 200 km/h

Body:
Ballast Weight = 10kg
Ballast Position = -35%

**Race Strategy**
I found that from an initial acceleration point of view, you will never have the upper hand from a grid start no matter how short the gear ratios. Begin by accelerating into the first bend, making sure to start turning in a little earlier (Due to the extra weight in the front of the kart). If the kart starts to slide, I found it was a lot easier to counter-steer at speed due to the 50:50 Weight instead of going wide into the kitty litter or spinning.

Corner 2 - Brake Late and ride the right ripple strip, going wide mid turn to overtake traffic.

Corner 3 (Left) - Can be taken from Middle of track in 3rd gear.

Corner 4 (5th gear left) - can be taken at speed, don't brake on this corner, just lift off the throttle mid corner and it will track around.

Corner 5 (3rd gear right onto straight) - Brake to 3rd gear and make sure to slipstream to maximise acceleration out of the corner.

By following this, you will find that by Lap 3 you should be in second place by Corner 2 or 4.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Race 2 -Willow Springs 'Little Willow' Tune:

Body:
Ballast Weight = 10kg
Ballast Position = -35%

**Race Strategy**
This track is very windy at the beginning, from a Grid Start, you will lag behind on acceleration, although you will catch up by the second corner (Tight 2nd Gear Right).

Just keep your cool and stay on track and slipstream as much as you can on the rear straight.

By lap 2 you should be in 3rd place after exiting the Long 3rd Gear Right onto the back straight. Slipstream 2nd Place and you should be able to out brake 1st into the second corner of the track.
*Race 3 - Gran Turismo Arena (Layout A) Tune:
(Front/Rear Weight Distribution - 49:51)

(Automatic)Drivetrain (Transmission):
Gear Setting = Max Speed (Defined Automatically) = 150 km/h

Body:
Ballast Weight = 5kg
Ballast Position = -50%

**Race Strategy**
GT Arena was giving me the most trouble and is what caused me to remember the settings. After 4 days of cursing and getting 2nd place every race, the above tuning setting was what finally got me the Gold.

I Highly Recommend using Automatic Transmission for this race as I could not keep up with the gear shifting speed required during this race to keep my cornering smooth.

Brake a little late and turn deep into Corner 1 from the inside lines, if you come in from the middle of the track, you can use 3rd gear around this corner, although you will get held back by traffic.

Corner 3 (Slow 2nd Gear Right ) - Turn as sharp as you are able to but be careful not to accelerate too hard on exiting until you have straightened up or you will spin. Accelerate into 4th gear and coast left around the next 2 corners (Corners 4 and 5) braking only if necessary to get the inside line or to lose speed into 2nd gear.

Corner 6 / Corner 7 (Right Hand Dual Tight) - The gear doesn't matter here, it could either be 2nd or 3rd at this point. Make sure you are attempting to be smooth around this right hander and not to touch the inside ripple strips as they will jump the side of the kart. Try to keep the speed at 60km/h around here.

Corner 8 (Long Sweeping Right onto Straight) - This corner has the largest risk of spinning you out as the tires will stress under acceleration around this sweeping corner. Try applying around 75% Throttle coming out of Corner 7 (You'll be doing approximately 60km/h - 70km/h) and hold a steady turn onto the straight. Do not exceed 110km/h before you straighten up for the straight or you will slide left into the ripple strip. Alternatively, never touch the inside ripple strip onto the straight with your right tires or you will spin. If the right ripple strip is unavoidable in your lap, de-throttle immediately when touching and throttle slowly once you are back on the tarmac.

I hope this tuning guide and strategies help someone as I had large difficulties with this race.

For any tips or questions for any other races, please feel free to PM me or ask on PSN.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone!

I'm a new poster here but a long time Gran Turismo Fan who has been playing since the release of the first GT.

I haven't been stuck on any races so far in my progression (All Gold in Events, Licences, Coffee Breaks, Missions, Goodwood Festival) in GT6 until I hit the International A - GT Kart Championship 125 Shifter.

As I found the balance of the previous Kart races to be quite easy, I found that the 125cc Shifters are difficult to handle in this race series, Finally getting gold on the tracks, I thought I may add the tuning I used to assist anyone else that were having the issues I was with:

- Loss of traction
- Spinning
- Throttle Control
- Braking

Body:
Ballast Weight = 10kg
Ballast Position = -35%

**Race Strategy**
I found that from an initial acceleration point of view, you will never have the upper hand from a grid start no matter how short the gear ratios. Begin by accelerating into the first bend, making sure to start turning in a little earlier (Due to the extra weight in the front of the kart). If the kart starts to slide, I found it was a lot easier to counter-steer at speed due to the 50:50 Weight instead of going wide into the kitty litter or spinning.

Corner 2 - Brake Late and ride the right ripple strip, going wide mid turn to overtake traffic.

Corner 4 (5th gear left) - can be taken at speed, don't brake on this corner, just lift off the throttle mid corner and it will track around.

Corner 5 (3rd gear right onto straight) - Brake to 3rd gear and make sure to slipstream to maximise acceleration out of the corner.

By following this, you will find that by Lap 3 you should be in second place by Corner 2 or 4.
*Race 2 - Brands Hatch Indy Circuit Tune:

Body:
Ballast Weight = 10kg
Ballast Position = -35%

**Race Strategy**
This track is very windy at the beginning, from a Grid Start, you will lag behind on acceleration, although you will catch up by the second corner (Tight 2nd Gear Right).

Just keep your cool and stay on track and slipstream as much as you can on the rear straight.

By lap 2 you should be in 3rd place after exiting the Long 3rd Gear Right onto the back straight. Slipstream 2nd Place and you should be able to out brake 1st into the second corner of the track.

Body:
Ballast Weight = 5kg
Ballast Position = -50%

**Race Strategy**
GT Arena was giving me the most trouble and is what caused me to remember the settings. After 4 days of cursing and getting 2nd place every race, the above tuning setting was what finally got me the Gold.

I Highly Recommend using Automatic Transmission for this race as I could not keep up with the gear shifting speed required during this race to keep my cornering smooth.

Brake a little late and turn deep into Corner 1 from the inside lines, if you come in from the middle of the track, you can use 3rd gear around this corner, although you will get held back by traffic.

Corner 3 (Slow 2nd Gear Right ) - Turn as sharp as you are able to but be careful not to accelerate too hard on exiting until you have straightened up or you will spin. Accelerate into 4th gear and coast left around the next 2 corners (Corners 4 and 5) braking only if necessary to get the inside line or to lose speed into 2nd gear.

Corner 6 / Corner 7 (Right Hand Dual Tight) - The gear doesn't matter here, it could either be 2nd or 3rd at this point. Make sure you are attempting to be smooth around this right hander and not to touch the inside ripple strips as they will jump the side of the kart. Try to keep the speed at 60km/h around here.

Corner 8 (Long Sweeping Right onto Straight) - This corner has the largest risk of spinning you out as the tires will stress under acceleration around this sweeping corner. Try applying around 75% Throttle coming out of Corner 7 (You'll be doing approximately 60km/h - 70km/h) and hold a steady turn onto the straight. Do not exceed 110km/h before you straighten up for the straight or you will slide left into the ripple strip. Alternatively, never touch the inside ripple strip onto the straight with your right tires or you will spin. If the right ripple strip is unavoidable in your lap, de-throttle immediately when touching and throttle slowly once you are back on the tarmac.

I hope this tuning guide and strategies help someone as I had large difficulties with this race.

For any tips or questions for any other races, please feel free to PM me or ask on PSN.
Boy those karts are killing me BIG TIME! I will def. Try out your method thanks for a great thread and info.

Hello Everyone!

- Loss of traction
- Spinning
- Throttle Control
- Braking

Body:
Ballast Weight = 10kg
Ballast Position = -35%

**Race Strategy**

*Race 2 - Brands Hatch Indy Circuit Tune:

Body:
Ballast Weight = 10kg
Ballast Position = -35%

**Race Strategy**

Body:
Ballast Weight = 5kg
Ballast Position = -50%

**Race Strategy**

Hello my friend, thank you for this. You have Brands Hatch as the second race also, is this a mistake? I golded Brands Hatch with the cart stock - not too hard, but am struggling with the second race which is Willow Creek in Int. A. Any advice there?:)

Hello my friend, thank you for this. You have Brands Hatch as the second race also, is this a mistake? I golded Brands Hatch with the cart stock - not too hard, but am struggling with the second race which is Willow Creek in Int. A. Any advice there?:)

Hi Mercury,

Firstly, you are welcome and yes, I did make a mistake with a copy and paste. I have changed it now to show the Willow Springs Track in the Race 2 Description. :)

A few tips I could help with is looking at the tuning settings I have added, making the kart a 50:50 weight makes a big difference to handling and overall stability of the kart in and out of corners. 10Kg may sound like a large amount of ballast, but it also enables you to de-throttle on most corners and just turn instead of having to break to balance out the kart. If you don't trust the amount of Ballast, try the 5kg, -50% setup, it may work for you but makes the front twitchy at high speeds.

Setting the Max Speed (Transmission) to 200Km/h also helps with grip to the rear wheels as being constantly in the power band of the kart causes slippage if corners aren't taken smoothly.

Without seeing your race style, the other pieces of advice I could give is mostly around the back straight area. Brake early into the long and banked Right Hand Corner leading up to it, taking it in 2nd / 3rd gear. Accelerate as soon as you are 1/2 way around or a little earlier if the kart feels comfortable to make the turn to the straight. The earlier you can power out, the faster you can gain speed on the straight.

Make sure to line yourself up with the small chicane at the end of the back straight to take it going in a straight line (They are a "Fake Corner") and do not trust / ignore the first braking point the best line shows you through there (if you use it). Brake early into the "2nd Gear" left hand corner soon after and accelerate into the Right Hander. Coast through the second left hand turn "Fake Corner" chicanes and be smooth with acceleration in the long hooking right hand back onto the main straight.

There are quite a few corners in this track that can be taken sharply under acceleration, just feel for the karts limits and try coasting around corners instead of braking. You may find a few that you can just power through.

There are a lot of Braking Points in the "Best Line" on a lot of the tracks that can be ignored. Use it as a guide, not as a play style :)

Last edited:
Hi Mercury,

Firstly, you are welcome and yes, I did make a mistake with a copy and paste. I have changed it now to show the Willow Springs Track in the Race 2 Description. :)

A few tips I could help with is looking at the tuning settings I have added, making the kart a 50:50 weight makes a big difference to handling and overall stability of the kart in and out of corners. 10Kg may sound like a large amount of ballast, but it also enables you to de-throttle on most corners and just turn instead of having to break to balance out the kart. If you don't trust the amount of Ballast, try the 5kg, -50% setup, it may work for you but makes the front twitchy at high speeds.

Setting the Max Speed (Transmission) to 200Km/h also helps with grip to the rear wheels as being constantly in the power band of the kart causes slippage if corners aren't taken smoothly.

Without seeing your race style, the other pieces of advice I could give is mostly around the back straight area. Brake early into the long and banked Right Hand Corner leading up to it, taking it in 2nd / 3rd gear. Accelerate as soon as you are 1/2 way around or a little earlier if the kart feels comfortable to make the turn to the straight. The earlier you can power out, the faster you can gain speed on the straight.

Make sure to line yourself up with the small chicane at the end of the back straight to take it going in a straight line (They are a "Fake Corner") and do not trust / ignore the first braking point the best line shows you through there (if you use it). Brake early into the "2nd Gear" left hand corner soon after and accelerate into the Right Hander. Coast through the second left hand turn "Fake Corner" chicanes and be smooth with acceleration in the long hooking right hand back onto the main straight.

There are quite a few corners in this track that can be taken sharply under acceleration, just feel for the karts limits and try coasting around corners instead of braking. You may find a few that you can just power through.

There are a lot of Braking Points in the "Best Line" on a lot of the tracks that can be ignored. Use it as a guide, not as a play style :)
Thank you kindly my friend, really appreciate your time and effort. Sounds like we have the same driving style, so should be cool - nice loose hands. I golded Brands hatch pretty easily and only tried Willow Creek 3 times. I got to 3rd both times but kept forgetting how long the final right hander back onto the straight is and turned in too early on the bloody thing. Agree with all your comments, particularly the little chicane and the correct lines. thanks again mate!!! :)👍

Thank you kindly my friend, really appreciate your time and effort. Sounds like we have the same driving style, so should be cool - nice loose hands. I golded Brands hatch pretty easily and only tried Willow Creek 3 times. I got to 3rd both times but kept forgetting how long the final right hander back onto the straight is and turned in too early on the bloody thing. Agree with all your comments, particularly the little chicane and the correct lines. thanks again mate!!! :)👍

Thanks Murcury, By the sound of it you'll have it done in no time :D

If you haven't attempted the GT Arena Race Yet (Race# 3) I wish you best of luck! That's where I was stuck for a very long time constantly getting 2nd until I tweaked the Ballast a bit more, dropped the Transmission Ratios and Switched to Automatic Transmission as Shifting that quickly was too distracting on that tight track. 👍

Thanks Murcury, By the sound of it you'll have it done in no time :D

If you haven't attempted the GT Arena Race Yet (Race# 3) I wish you best of luck! That's where I was stuck for a very long time constantly getting 2nd until I tweaked the Ballast a bit more, dropped the Transmission Ratios and Switched to Automatic Transmission as Shifting that quickly was too distracting on that tight track. 👍
Cool mate, thanks for the tip. Take care, happy driving, talk soon. :cheers:

Hi all,

I have been able to gold the first two races without any adjustments. I tried some weight and transmission tweeks with bad results for the last race in the "Arena of *&^&%%^&^*&!@#$" . Granted my weight adjustments were larger than what was posted here I'll try the smaller amount and report back.

Thanks

I just discovered a new trick to gain PP and horsepower on karts. Rebuild the engine as soon as you buy one or whenever really, I thought of this because in GT5 rebuilding the engine also changed your oil and since there is no oil in a 2 stroke kart this is kind of a glitch to get some extra hp.

0 mile Jr Kart goes from 371pp to 378pp after engine rebuild.

I just discovered a new trick to gain PP and horsepower on karts. Rebuild the engine as soon as you buy one or whenever really, I thought of this because in GT5 rebuilding the engine also changed your oil and since there is no oil in a 2 stroke kart this is kind of a glitch to get some extra hp.

0 mile Jr Kart goes from 371pp to 378pp after engine rebuild.
Not sure but you can also change the oil, anyway, on GT arena I suggest to change the maximum speed at 130 km/h, on the straight that speed is more than enough and you have a bit of advantage on the mixed section.

Not sure but you can also change the oil, anyway, on GT arena I suggest to change the maximum speed at 130 km/h, on the straight that speed is more than enough and you have a bit of advantage on the mixed section.
No you can't change the oil because karts are 2 stroke, they run on premix. The game doesn't give you the option to change the oil because that would be unrealistic. If you do an engine rebuild it also changes the oil on all cars including karts, it gives you the same hp as a fully broken in kart in GT5.

No you can't change the oil because karts are 2 stroke, they run on premix. The game doesn't give you the option to change the oil because that would be unrealistic. If you do an engine rebuild it also changes the oil on all cars including karts, it gives you the same hp as a fully broken in kart in GT5.
That's probably the only way to 'change oil' on it, rebuilding the engine shouldn't give you extra HP, so it's more like a bug

That's probably the only way to 'change oil' on it, rebuilding the engine shouldn't give you extra HP, so it's more like a bug
That's what I keep saying, you shouldn't be able to change the oil in a kart, it's something that shouldn't happen but it does.

Doing the engine rebuild does indeed give any kart a small boost in PP. Hasn't been enough to get me any better than 2nd place in the GT Arena race though. Tried changing the weight distribution to what OP said and bringing the gearing down too. But alas my struggle with this continues. Maybe i'll do it eventually (already been trying for two days!:banghead:). Maybe it'll be the only event in the game i don't get gold on (which will bug the hell out of me!). Maybe PD will fix the stupid AI that drives slow when it's in front of me and speeds up when i get ahead and tries to spin me out. I think patience may be the determining factor to winning this horrible race.

Maybe it'll be the only event in the game i don't get gold on (which will bug the hell out of me!).

As things stand, this is the only race I haven't got gold on. So one star missing...

I can't seem to get lower than 27s, and so the AI pulls away just a bit too much laps 2-5 before doing the "let the user win slowdown". The best I've got is 3rd. I'm using a DS3 and have no confidence in the throttle, mostly on the first and last corners, so that's losing me time. At this rate I'll have to dig out my wheel from somewhere as the pedals will hopefully allow better throttle control.

Meanwhile big thanks to @AUAxton for the tuning tips, helped me get gold on Willow Springs. More practice for the GT Arena for me... :banghead:

This event (race 3 in GT Arena) is cursed. At least with DS3 controller. You can`t control throttle sensitive enough to not spin around at last corner heading fast to finish line. Plus these devil drivers are pushing from behind, yes. And patience is not my second first name. :lol:

Third place is best here, too.

Doing the engine rebuild does indeed give any kart a small boost in PP. Hasn't been enough to get me any better than 2nd place in the GT Arena race though. Tried changing the weight distribution to what OP said and bringing the gearing down too. But alas my struggle with this continues. Maybe i'll do it eventually (already been trying for two days!:banghead:). Maybe it'll be the only event in the game i don't get gold on (which will bug the hell out of me!). Maybe PD will fix the stupid AI that drives slow when it's in front of me and speeds up when i get ahead and tries to spin me out. I think patience may be the determining factor to winning this horrible race.
Changing gear ratio on 130 km/h maximus speed was the ultimate solution at least for me)
Unluckly, my overall championship record is silver. I really don't want to repeat the championship because if you get 2nd or 3rd on the last race the gold trophy is replaced with silver or bronze.

Changing gear ratio on 130 km/h maximus speed was the ultimate solution at least for me)
Unluckly, my overall championship record is silver. I really don't want to repeat the championship because if you get 2nd or 3rd on the last race the gold trophy is replaced with silver or bronze.
I REALLY hope you are mistaken in saying subsequent championship playthroughs will replace the previous result even if that result was better. I got second in the championship too. I thought i'd try and gold the GT Arena one and then start the championship again, safe in the knowledge i can win the first two races and that i'd just need about 5th or better in the last one.

If it DOES replace my gold (i WILL get it, i WILL!!) with say bronze in the championship i'm probably going to put my foot through my T.V.!!!

Strategy for Kart championships:

Win 1st race - save your game by pausing championships (you have to quit game and you can save your game)

Enter game and start championships directly with 2nd race
Win 2nd race - save your game by pausing championships (you have to quit game and you can save your game)
(If you suck, just reload...)

Enter game and start championships directly with 3rd race
Win 3rd race (hahahaha), well finish 3rd race decently to win championships.

Now you have your championships goldend and you can work on 3rd race... or not...

I REALLY hope you are mistaken in saying subsequent championship playthroughs will replace the previous result even if that result was better. I got second in the championship too. I thought i'd try and gold the GT Arena one and then start the championship again, safe in the knowledge i can win the first two races and that i'd just need about 5th or better in the last one.

If it DOES replace my gold (i WILL get it, i WILL!!) with say bronze in the championship i'm probably going to put my foot through my T.V.!!!
Yeah, at least for Vettel Junior event, if you get gold the first time and you repeat the race finishing 2nd or 3rd. (out of the podium or if you skip the race the game won't re-write the record)
All gold during the event except Grand Valley, golded alone from the championship, I've repeated the championship for money (3rd on Grand Valley) and my gold for the race was replaced by a bronze trophy.
If you manage to do 1st-1st-4th you should be able to win the Kart championship (if you can't win again the last race and you've already golded it).

This event (race 3 in GT Arena) is cursed. At least with DS3 controller. You can`t control throttle sensitive enough to not spin around at last corner heading fast to finish line. Plus these devil drivers are pushing from behind, yes. And patience is not my second first name. :lol:

Third place is best here, too.
I'm using a DS3 as well and i agree it's very difficult to be carefull on the throttle. I use L2/R2 for my brakes and throttle but i'm seriously considering using the right analogue stick instead for this. That would mean moving my "gear stick" though since that's what my right stick does at the moment. The last thing i was trying was staying in manual and ONLY using 4th and 5th gears (apart from the start of course). That way i could be hard on the throttle on the low speed corners whilst maintaining drive and not light up the rear tyres coming out. Only problem was the sharp, low speed right hand bend (corner 3 i think) for which i was using 3rd for a moment. TBH i was just trying anything i could think of by that point.

Strategy for Kart championships:

Win 1st race - save your game by pausing championships (you have to quit game and you can save your game)

Enter game and start championships directly with 2nd race
Win 2nd race - save your game by pausing championships (you have to quit game and you can save your game)

Enter game and start championships directly with 3rd race
Win 3rd race (hahahaha), well finish 3rd race decently to win championships.

Now you have your championships goldend and you can work on 3rd race... or not...
Thank you! *stops having panic attack*

I'm sorry but I can't seem to find the option to do this?:embarrassed:
Car settings>Body>Ballast Weight and Ballast Position are there. You obviously need to add the weight before you can shift it.:)

I don't understand what all the trouble people are having with this championship. I bought the kart, played with it a bit (maybe 10 laps or so) on the GT track, then entered the championship. Got gold on Brands Hatch, screwed up on Willow finishing 4th, got silver on GT. Tried again, Brands at max 118mph: Gold, Willow at max 118mph: Gold, GT at max 112mph: Gold. I use a controller with all aids off though that doesn't really matter here, Standard, and I didn't find these karts to be any harder to drive than the others, just a bit faster but not grossly so. I dunno, I just raced, stayed as clean as I could and off the rumble strips as much as possible and overtook where I could.

Sark

For me the car spun out less with 10kg at +50 . DS3 . the more weight you add at the back the less likely to spin out. You do however sacrifice braking and cornering to a lesser extent. Unfortunately there is no substitute for learning to drive the kart . About 500km on my shifter from shifter 125 series.

Back