GT Academy 2012 (EU) General Discussion

• Thread starter Manuelos
  • 1,584 comments
Congrats to the winner! This is such an amazing event! And all the other guys have really smashed it as well! I think they get at least 1 cup race each so I don't think it's all over yet!

Second video is news worthy. "Nest GT to focus on the human drama of racing".
Yes, I've already got the draft of the post ready for tomorrow. :D Nice work, Des!

And congratulations to Wolfgang! :cheers:

Dsouza is Diogo Sousa, he is in Silverstone as well he just didn´t make it to the final. Duster was in the Portuguese final but didn´t make it to the top 3.

Yep that sounds about right, I hear Knuckle was very jealous as Diogo Sousa managed to progress further in GTA lol. Well they both done exceptionally well to get where they did and are both awesomely fast.👍

This guy ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6_f1lcLRU8&list=UUTyEUnIH0uTUctk0MISvueg&index=1&feature=plcp

So they've done it again I see. Gamer yeah? OK then GT Academy

"Wolfgang Reip is a 25-year old hailing from Brussels, Belgium, and currently undertaking a Bachelor's degree in Management during the evenings. Wolfgang has grown up racing go-karts since the age of 6 but unfortunately after reaching National Competition level at the age of 12, he was forced to step down like many other unrecognised talents, due to insufficient funds. After a long break and with some money-saving, he reignited his passion for racing after getting his driving license to give racing another go. Since then he has been testing in Yaris Cup, Formula Renault 2.0, Formula 3, Legends Cars, Porsche Cayman Cup and most recently the high speed LeMans Series LMP-C car where he showed great speed immediately even receiving a proposition from a team to race in ELMS, but had to decline again due to budget issues.

Wolfgang began racing sims even as a kid, driving Grand Prix 1/2/3 and even console sims such as Gran Turismo 1, Formula 1, and V-Rally. After some time out he returned in 2008, joining rFactor and GTR2 where he raced in the latter against one of our latest additions prior to this - Laurent Beteille in a French league, including scoring a few endurance race wins. He found iRacing in December 2010 and after a great perfomance during Season 1, earnt himself a Pro license. Wolfgang now becomes 1 of 4 WW drivers in the top 10 (along with Simon Cattell, Laurent Beteille and Teemu Iivonen) to achieve a Pro License during Season 1 and set sights on the 2012 Pro Series at the end of the year."
http://www.westernwolves.net/content/News/A_new_driver_joins_the_ranks_of_WWRacing-200.html?login

Apart from its completely and utterly wrong, what about Twissy he's got exactly the same background up to the karting with a lot less after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Wolfgang Reip is a 25-year old hailing from Brussels, Belgium, and currently undertaking a Bachelor's degree in Management during the evenings. Wolfgang has grown up racing go-karts since the age of 6 but unfortunately after reaching National Competition level at the age of 12, he was forced to step down like many other unrecognised talents, due to insufficient funds. After a long break and with some money-saving, he reignited his passion for racing after getting his driving license to give racing another go. Since then he has been testing in Yaris Cup, Formula Renault 2.0, Formula 3, Legends Cars, Porsche Cayman Cup and most recently the high speed LeMans Series LMP-C car where he showed great speed immediately even receiving a proposition from a team to race in ELMS, but had to decline again due to budget issues.

Wolfgang began racing sims even as a kid, driving Grand Prix 1/2/3 and even console sims such as Gran Turismo 1, Formula 1, and V-Rally. After some time out he returned in 2008, joining rFactor and GTR2 where he raced in the latter against one of our latest additions prior to this - Laurent Beteille in a French league, including scoring a few endurance race wins. He found iRacing in December 2010 and after a great perfomance during Season 1, earnt himself a Pro license. Wolfgang now becomes 1 of 4 WW drivers in the top 10 (along with Simon Cattell, Laurent Beteille and Teemu Iivonen) to achieve a Pro License during Season 1 and set sights on the 2012 Pro Series at the end of the year."
http://www.westernwolves.net/content/News/A_new_driver_joins_the_ranks_of_WWRacing-200.html?login

Sounds like he almost has more real world racing experience than virtual "experience". The truth is GT Academy wants the best and that generally means someone with prior racing experience. However, if I was the guy who came from zero to almost hero (2nd) I would be pretty chuffed.

wow that's alot of previous experience, I mean congratulations to the guy but I hope Dessy didn't loose out just short as that would be quite disappointing when you compare experience!

first i want gratulate Reip!

but wtf ??? this guy race his full life, and in the youtube video u can see what fast cars he has raced/drived !!!

is this fair ???? i dont think so

there are normal gamers against some pro racers in the GTAcademy!! what an unfair situation !!!!! GTAacademy is sucking off, for many gamers, and many very fast gamers! sry but that is true

the idea of GTA is so great but its destroyed with thinks like this!

the point should be that the faster gamer became a racedriver and not an racedriver that has abort raceing and came back to raceing over the GTA, sry i must sayed this!

lol GTAcademy

ps: one reason more to dislike NISSAN ?

Last edited:
I'm sorry guys I did try and tell you all that its a scam. You've all put countless hours into this like I originally did, these people don't give a damn they'll just do whatever suits their publicity bandwagon.

To be honest though no matter what the situation I would always put hours and hours in for that 1 opportunity, even if it's a small chance I'd still go for it, and just put my all into it, if I end up putting my all in you never know what can happen. Ye if people like this do enter it's going to be tough to beat but you gotta beat the best to be the best right? :D

I'm sorry guys I did try and tell you all that its a scam. You've all put countless hours into this like I originally did, these people don't give a damn they'll just do whatever suits their publicity bandwagon.

I would not go that far, but I share the sentiment. Nissan and GT Academy are looking to minimize risk. If I was in their shoes, I would probably make the same call. That does not mean I have to like it.

One thing is for sure, I will be working hard on three things for next year's US GTA. My real world driving, my fitness and my German. I figure if I can speak another language that makes me far more "marketable". (assuming I even the that far... lol)

Also lets be clear... I do not think he was chosen for his driving alone, even if it was impressive.

3 reasons against the spirit of the competition. If you want to find a racing driver from the game then you don't do it that way...simple as. And to try to con people into thinking you are is even more pathetic. Its a shambles, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Also be prepared for those who will try to automatically blindly defend GTA or him, and ignore them.

From the terms and conditions:
(h) not previously held a National A or superior MSA license or equivalent in another FIA recognised ASN (Recognised Motorsport Body);

'...after reaching National Competition level at the age of 12....Since then he has been testing in Yaris Cup, Formula Renault 2.0, Formula 3, Legends Cars, Porsche Cayman Cup and most recently the high speed LeMans Series LMP-C car

Last edited:
should the GTAcademy not be for us gamers ???

the reight way of nissan would be for example like this:

GTA Qualy like 8-5!

the best 16 players then goes in a GTA league in game, for example on 5 tracks! (timetrails with pointsystem or races with pointsystem)

the races can be streamed for the world to watch!

the winner became the schooling for racedriver, so easy and cheap can this be!

i see the GTAcademy very negative at the moment!

ur 100% reight davissi

How did he even qualify? You're not allowed to have a National A license or above and you would definitely need one to drive the sort of cars he was driving.

'...after reaching National Competition level at the age of 12....Since then he has been testing in Yaris Cup, Formula Renault 2.0, Formula 3, Legends Cars, Porsche Cayman Cup and most recently the high speed LeMans Series LMP-C car

nothing against the guy, im sure he is a nice one, but its a big big shame for GTAcademy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have no longer respect for the winners when i reading this!

the true heros are the top 10 gamer!

titech
eclips
amo

How did he even qualify? You're not allowed to have a National A license or above and you would definitely need one to drive the sort of cars he was driving.

I think the key word is "testing". He was never actually a registered driver. More like he auditioned for various teams in various series. He did not break the rules... but I would call it stretching them pretty thin.

I have a feeling the GT Academy people will drop off the radar now and all the mentors, it'll be quiet here and quiet on twitter. What could they possibly say technically to defend in principle the whole reason for the competition to exist in the first place. They will struggle.

should the GTAcademy not be for us gamers ???

He is a gamer, has been for many years, even competing with many of the old greats from Gran Turismo back in the day. No one can accuse him of not being a gamer.

As for the information davissi has posted, it's difficult for me to determine what's actually being said in those quotes just yet. Will need to digest it more...

I think the key word is "testing". He was never actually a registered driver. More like he auditioned for various teams in various series. He did not break the rules... but I would call it stretching them pretty thin.

Yes absolutely the sort of thing they will try to use to defend this, it doesn't matter he has a huge amount of racing car driving experience. GT Academy was thought up to put a 'bedroom gamer' into a racing car, find the best bedroom gamer and it was believed that the game is now so advanced they will be able to demonstrate these skills on the real track.
They've totally abused this now.

He is a gamer, has been for many years, even competing with many of the old greats from Gran Turismo back in the day. No one can accuse him of not being a gamer.

As for the information davissi has posted, it's difficult for me to determine what's actually being said in those quotes just yet. Will need to digest it more...

Its not rocket science.
He wasn't calling on his gaming skills to drive the real cars, that's the point, he was calling on his real driving skills. Very advanced ones at that.

Its not rocket science.
He wasn't calling on his gaming skills to drive the real cars, that's the point, he was calling on his real driving skills. Very advanced ones at that.

And where did I imply that he was. I was simply answering a question from Howeller. :rolleyes:

If it turns out that no rules have been broken, who cares what experience he has. Would you complain if you went for a job interview and the guy with more experience got the job?

Its not rocket science.

totally reight !!!!!

yes he is a gamer, a good gamer, but not the best gamer !!!

if we start a pool who should in our opinion be the winner of GTA we will have the awnser!

the best gamer with no practice or an average/good gamer with raceing experience?? the result of the pool everyone knows i think

Last edited:
And where did I imply that he was. I was simply answering a question from Howeller. :rolleyes:

If it turns out that no rules have been broken, who cares what experience he has. Would you complain if you went for a job interview and the guy with more experience got the job?
This is GT Academy not a job interview, no need for an analogy we are discussing something specific. There was a reason for GT Academy and this doesn't satisfy it. The other point is people will be aware of this but still allowed it to happen. They are banking on the ability to bulls#!t the masses and try and manage the people who know better.

3 reasons against the spirit of the competition. If you want to find a racing driver from the game then you don't do it that way...simple as. And to try to con people into thinking you are is even more pathetic. Its a shambles, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Also be prepared for those who will try to automatically blindly defend GTA or him, and ignore them.

From the terms and conditions:
(h) not previously held a National A or superior MSA license or equivalent in another FIA recognised ASN (Recognised Motorsport Body);

and they let this guy through ?!! If that was a test day in that LMP car, he would have needed a Top national race licence just to sign on ! Unbelieveable

paskowitz

You just reminded me that you need to compete in races to upgrade to a National A, testing won't count towards that so he probably still has a National B and qualifies. But I agree, pushing the rules a bit far.

Many of the best gamers wouldn't make the grade. Fact.

You can state that fact only when one of those gamers get the same opportunities to fulfil those real driving experiences otherwise you won't authenticate that statement.
Its totally the opposite to what you're trying to say. Its those experiences that are allowing him to win otherwise he wouldn't win. Its not rocket science sphinx.

I really think they should limit prior racing experience to just karting and club racing. In other words, what just about every person has the opportunity to do. It is hard to say where "the line" should be drawn though.

Lucas had a fair bit of karting and racing experience, but it did not jump out as much as with this guy. In the end, the rules are unlikely to change.

Given this, the clear message to anyone who wants to have a serious shot at winning GTA is, get some real world driving experience. Seat time really is #1.

There's always people who wanna debate everything on a forum isn't there, for the life of me I'll never understand why. They'll argue black is white and white is black just to put themselves out there.
Anyway, GT Academy fellows and Twissy/James/GTDrivers_Moose/Blyth whatever your handle is ;) You've all been ripped off. G'night all!
:)

This is GT Academy not a job interview,

Of course it is. A dream job at that.

There was a reason for GT Academy and this doesn't satisfy it. The other point is people will be aware of this but still allowed it to happen. They are banking on the ability to bulls#!t the masses and try and manage the people who know better.

My god, you really are bitter and twisted after your failed attempt in GT Academy. If the rules of entry have been broken then I'm sure it'll be dealt with.

Many of the best gamers wouldn't make the grade. Fact.

that is ur opinion, i see this different.

every top gamer, from the top 50 gird would be a fantastic racer! give them time to practice enough and everyone will be a top real racer!

simraceing gamers are interested in raceing, 99,9% of simracers has not rich parents or the moeny to do realracing expirience, thats the reason we play that hobby only on a game!

put titech or some other top gamer in a realracecar, let him do this 6months every day, and then let him drive in FIA GT3, he will deystroy the pro drivers, im sure of that!!

practice is everything, in whatever we doing!

Back