GT5 Latest News & Discussion

• Thread starter gamelle71
  • 76,879 comments
French Driver Says He Can't Find the Brake Limit

Intersting that the French driver said he couldnt feel the brake limit of the car. This is something KY and PD have been working on and have progressed on in GT. Realistic feedback via controls to the driver. When I first drove GT with a off-brand wheel I hated it. I couldn't feel what the car was doing. But with the GT Driving Force Pro I could feel when the car was about to brake loose among other things

Now as regards to braking, I see where he comes from. When I brake in some die-hard PC sims I lock up the tires all the time. It seems you have to hit the brakes at about 70% to not lock the tires up. A guessing game. This is fusterating at best. In real life, just like what the French driver wants, you could feel the brake pedal and tell when the tires are about to lock up. Hopefully that will be incorporated in the next GT steering wheel, force feed back in the brake pedal.

First video of Cockpit View in GT

I know its just GT4 in HD, but that in-car view is excellent. Unlike most sims that try to restrict your view purposely, It doesn't make me feel claustrophobic.

There is a nice panoramic view of the track, just like in real life.

cockpitviewsh9.th.jpg

I can see the apex of the curves. For once I dont feel hindered by looking out through the inside of a car in a game. I may actually race exclusively inside the cockpit.

Of course there is WAY too much movement in the camera to simulate g forces, but I don't think that will make it into the final game.

Other then that, it looks like GT HD will be next followed by GT5 late 2008 at earliest.

* Shakes and swings like a ship in a heavy thunderstorm
* In real live you are (mostly) not sitting between the two front seats
* Looks like youre ridin' a motorcycle

that has to be the worst use of a cockpit view ive ever seen, totally unrealistic, not attached to the driver, and completely useless for gameplay.:nervous:

Duċk;2673016
Looks like some GT4 hack to me.

Yes that is just a GT4 video with a hack view, a 350Z convertable.

That did not come from PD or PD's offices.

^^ I think it was very badly edited using Adobe Premier or FCP or it's likes. I mean when you turn right, the natural motion should make the cockpit tilt, just barely, to the left and not SWING it's @$$ off to the right.. LOL! I could do a better job at this, if I had a better capturing tool! It may not be believable, but it'll be watchable to the least!

Here is the second part of the report : the interview. Enjoy !

CONFIDENCE FOR CONFIDENCE

Encounter with Kazunori Yamauchi, creator of the Gran Turismo series.

From his beginnings in data processing to the making of the future Gran Turismo, Kazunori Yamauchi entrusted himself to us without turning. As a result : more than hour of interview; knowing the timetable of such a pressed person, those moments have to be engraved in annals !!

(in bold : question from Laurent Deheppe; in plain : answer from Kazunori Yamauchi)

When did you first show interest for cars ?
Just like any boy, I started at the age of 3-4. Way later, when I had the opportunity to make a video game, I had already 150 projects in mind that were linked to my automotive passion. Gran Turismo was one of them of course.
Maybe not the GT that everyone know and have today, but I knew what I wanted : a true automobile simulation, with true cars.

Today, you reached your goal; what does that inspire to you ?
Lots of things ! But especially the fact that this story never ends. We created a game which evolved from racing to rallying, while passing by normal roads and today, with GT-HD, we tackle drifting. But there are still many things we have to improve, lots of work. Nothing’s never really completed ! But the passion that animates my whole team is a true dope.

You came with a PORSCHE 996 GT3, we saw a FORD GT too... What other cars do you own, and which one is your favourite ?
I have 6 cars of my own. Two FORD GT, the PORSCHE GT3 you saw earlier, but also a MERCEDES-BENZ SL55 AMG, a NISSAN 350 Z and a HONDA S2000. That which I prefer is the FORD GT, as it dates from the year of my birth.

Which is the car which you dream to have ?
The McLAREN F1, without hesitation. I never drove this car, and I hope I’ll be able to drive someday.

Where does the Gran Turismo name comes from and how did you choose the cars that appear in the game ?
Gran Turismo is an Italian name. This type of car allows to “travel”, as they are touring cars. We kept this philosophy for our game, thus in Gran Turismo, the player travels in great cars ! Some of the cars are claimed by the makers, but most of them are personal selections.

How was POLYPHONY born ?
At the every beginning; it was a division, named “Yamauchi Team”, and was integrated in SONY Corporation. In 1998, this division became an independent company by the name of POLYPHONY DIGITAL.

How many persons work with you ?
We are currently 120 persons. When I started the first GT in 1992, we were 7 and it took us 7 years to achieve the game.

You’re not a programmer though; what did you do before ?
I started by following Economy studies, and in the same time, I enjoyed myself creating games. I was 18, it was a hobby. When I was a child, I used to play a famous PC game : Grand Prix. I went then to SONY, in Epic Sony Record Music Department, and I evolved to video games.

Grand Prix was a F1 game. Why didn’t you make the same ?
Actually, this is my dream !! However, making such a game is very expensive as it involves heavy interests. If I have the chance to do such a thing, I’d make something completely different from what I do today, that’s for sure.

Did you expect such a success when you released Gran Turismo ?
Absolutely not ! Auto games were very different before Gran Turismo. You could take a corner without braking. When we got feedback about driving feeling from GT players, they really loved braking before turning, steering and accelerating, it was something new. In fact, I was sure there were other persons, like me, who wished to have such kind of feelings. But I didn’t expect this much !!

Did you know that most of European people discovered JGTC race cars (Japan Grand Touring Car Championship; renamed Super GT) thanks to your game ? Especially the NISSAN Skyline, which is not imported in France...
Yes, and the funny thing is that many persons who played GT have contacted Super GT Teams afterwards ! This series is very interesting and very competitive, although it runs in Japan only.

By the way, do you have some contracts with Super GT teams; do you call upon professional drivers to test Gran Turismo ?
Yes, very often. They come to the studio and I watch the races. I believe that a racer’s feedback is very important.

What is your favourite car in GT, and which one is the best graphically and technically to you ?
My favourite car is the NISSAN Skyline GT-R, and the most advanced is the Super GT NISSAN 350 Z NISMO.

Which game producers do you really like ?
It’s hard to say, because I hardly take a look at other games, unless for technical reasons. On the other hand, one that caught my attention is Little Big Planet because designers managed to make something different, original. As for the rest, there’s nobody I like much than another. But it is because I don’t know any.

As for the future, what will GT HD Concept online feature consist of ?

First of all, the name has not been chosen yet. At the moment, I can tell you that there will be a game released between GT4 and GT5, but we don’t have a name yet.
Regarding the online feature, the subject is vast...

Will we be allowed to download cars and circuit via the PlayStation Store ?
Everything’s not settled yet, but you’ll be able to update the cars specifications. In fact, they will appear in the store when available.

In GT4, the big news came from the ‘bonnet’ view; what’s next ?
In the future Gran Turismo, the ‘bonnet’ view will be maintained, and a new ‘internal’ one will be available, with the dashboard or the cockpit, whether it is a normal or racing car.

You (finally) signed with FERRARI. Can we expect to get the whole line-up ? And what about PORSCHE and LAMBORGHINI ?
All FERRARI line-up will be introduced, but I can’t promise anything for PORSCHE and LAMBORGHINI unless I have the license.

What about the circuits ? What’s new ?
I have several ideas ! You can expect something big ! However, I can tell you that there will be some classic race tracks, and one or several city courses...

Namely ??...

(laughing) Not now !!

Lots of players think that GT is an obsolete genre. What do you think about this ?
Gran Turismo is an universe. Whether you talk about circuits, cars, the driving school, the show-rooms, until now, everything was “blocked”, because the “system” wanted it to. Today, we have the online technology, and all of those features will open up : anyone will be allowed in this new “system”. There will be multi-player racing, you will belong to some sort of clans, clubs. We will create many categories for all type of players. We will create races and meetings, but expert and professional races as well. I want to go beyond the virtual, I want to transform the virtual into reality.

There’s a Drift Mode in GT-HD. Why did you decide to introduce this discipline, very famous in the USA and Japan ? Furthermore, will this mode be a complete mode in the future GT ?
You’re right, I plan to develop the Drift Mode, because speed alone isn’t the only factor in mastering professional driving. On top of that, while online, you will be able to watch drivers on live doing this spectacular show.

On live, otherwise after downloading a file, like we currently do ?
On LIVE !

Do you “monitor” players progress in GT-HD ??
Yes, of course. I check their times and I have to admit that you European are very skilled. More surprising are the three best drivers’ driving skills. On the other hand, I see only a few Americans (laughs)...

Will you keep the driving licenses system ?
Absolutely. Licenses represent the game’s core since the beginning. The future ones will be more difficult, but more entertaining !

The damage feature has never been supported by GT. Do you think we will be able to crash a car, knowing that the very spirit of sports driving is not to make a scratch on the car ?
That question often comes back. I am aware that players would like the realism be taken to its limits.
All I can tell you is that some cars will support the damage feature. More precisely, the race cars will. But what do YOU really want ?

Now YOU ask questions (both laugh) !! In my opinion, I think GT is a driving simulator, and thus if you miss a turn, it becomes obvious that you must undergo damage.
On top of that, it is very frustrating to see another driver kiss the wall or a barrier, and keep going like nothing...

I know that. This detail is very tricky. We already tried all parades : if a car hits the wall/barrier at a determined speed, we noticed that even a slight bump can lead to heavy damage beyond players comprehension.
In that way, either we enable the real consequences of a crash, or we ease the damage a little, with the risk for us of not being realistic. In my opinion, I am for choosing the first one, but will the players accept that ?

The Gran Turismo official website tells that one, or several GTs may be released before GT5. Is that true ?
I confirm that prior to Gran Turismo 5, one Gran Turismo will be released. At least...

Can you tell us when ?

(thinking) A.S.A.P. !

GT succeeded thanks to its gameplay; for the first time, one could really experience the feeling of a real simulation. Did you work further on this factor ??
Yes, the PS3’s powerful abilities now allows us to push the realism even further, for the driving, but also for graphics (in a global way) and car modeling.

In GT4, the setting options were pretty vast. However, it was difficult to obtain a good overall balance, due to the separate front and rear settings. We notice that the cars are more sensitive to mass transfer in GT-HD, however.
I assure you that we sharpened the car setting. But you are right : the cars you will drive in GT-HD are much more sensitive to mass transfer. However, I fear that all those settings may be annoying or too complicated for players...

As the game will be fully online, why not imagining setting exchange between players ? For instance, could it be possible for a rookie player to download perfect settings from an expert player ?
Of course, it will be possible.

In the same way, the cars tended to under-steer, even after a tuning; it was pretty hard to over-steer. Will the new setting panel allow us to freely tune a car from under-steer to the over-steer ?
That may be possible !

Last question : do you think you’ve become a full-fledged man ?

No. I’m not completely satisfied yet, nor full-fledged. I still have a lot to do !!

ENCADRES

KAZUNORI YAMAUCHI : PERFECTION HAS A NAME (p. 59)

The Gran Turismo story would have never been written without its emblematic creator. Kazunori Yamauchi studied Economy, before joining Sony Epic Records in 1992. Next year, he went to the brand-new Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. An once-in-a-lifetime chance for him to build his auto game project. In the meanwhile, he works on the Motor Toon Grand Prix game, still in SCEI.
After five years of hard work, Kazunori presents his Gran Turismo. In April, 1998, he quits SCEI and founds POLYPHONY DIGITAL; the studio becomes later one of SCEI’s main partners. In 2001, Gran Turismo 3 A-spec makes a hit and 15 millions (!!) are sold across the world.
Even if GT4 sales did not match his expectations, Kazunori Yamauchi remains attached to his prime objective : making the biggest virtual auto game, and the next step to fulfill that dream is Gran Turismo 5...

ABOUT DAMAGE (p. 61)

It is time GT became “Full Realistic Mode” !! Finally, Kazunori Yamauchi confirms that information. However, the problem remains unresolved, as he doesn’t want to “discourage” the player, by putting a realistic (but restraining) damage feature, and on the other side, he doesn’t want to do his work half-way. What we are sure about now is that racing cars will bear damage. Impacts taken will be very realistic. In these conditions, GT will reach a new dimension, where a little mistake will lead to big trouble. With that in mind, driving experience will be amazing, and even more thanks to the new ‘cockpit’ view !!

PROBLEM WITH Formula 1 (p. 61)

F1s are a real pain for the developers. Making those cars in the game is no big deal, but when it comes to reproduce real F1s, developers hit a snag with the FOM (Formula One Management), chaired by Bernie Ecclestone. Through many names since 1974, the FOM holds F1 commercial rights. It means that in order for POLYPHONY to use F1’s “image”, they have to deal with Bernie. This is where it gets complicated. When you know the guy a little, you can expect the bill to be... cocky !! However, the F1 hasn’t always been so restricted, and we may see real F1 cars in GT, such as old FERRARIs, and -why not- F1 from the current makers : LOTUS, MERCEDES-BENZ, etc.
By Road Runner

:)

Great interview! Still hard to say what sort of damage is going to be in GT5, but its good to know race cars will receive it at least. GT5 sounds like its shaping up very nicely.

Online Garage hey...

I am assuming this would be having your garage as something you can walk around in Sony's Home..

door at the end of your apartment leads into your garage where you and you avatar buddies can wander around and wax lyrical about the awesomeness of your collection.. then maybe hop in for a drive..

Here is the second part of the report : the interview. Enjoy !

Now YOU ask questions (both laugh) !! In my opinion, I think GT is a driving simulator, and thus if you miss a turn, it becomes obvious that you must undergo damage.
On top of that, it is very frustrating to see another driver kiss the wall or a barrier, and keep going like nothing...

I know that. This detail is very tricky. We already tried all parades : if a car hits the wall/barrier at a determined speed, we noticed that even a slight bump can lead to heavy damage beyond players comprehension.
In that way, either we enable the real consequences of a crash, or we ease the damage a little, with the risk for us of not being realistic. In my opinion, I am for choosing the first one, but will the players accept that ?

By Road Runner

:)

Yes, I will accept that!
Please, full damage for ALL cars!

What they ought to do is impliment a damage setting in Options. None, Arcade, Simulation. None would be equivelant to what GT has had all along. Arcade would be the "mid-grade" damage, like other racing games. Simulation would be the hardcore damage that ends the race with one little mistake.

Sounds like a good idea Jedi. I do remember the good old days of Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix on the PC, where you could select what type of damage your car could suffer. From electrical to punctures.............mmmmmmmmm...........those were the good old days.

Agreed!

Options, options, and more options! The more options there are the more everyone can play the game at any given time the way that interests them the most. 👍👍

I'd like to also be able to select the skill level of the AI as well as have better control over what cars the AI uses in a race. Currently you can do that somewhat by resetting the field, but it would be nice to have the option of selecting each of their cars in order to create a specific type of race. I'd even be happy if they made that an option only in arcade mode... just as long as the option is available. This would lend itself to expanding the replay value tremendously!

Besides damage, mechanical failures, AI cars, and AI skill level. I'd also like to see PD offer optional Rubber band AI (Off, Moderate, Strong), just as they did for 2-player mode. While I personally do not like rubber band AI, I'm sure many would like it, and if it were optional, I could see some race scenarios where I might have fun using rubber band AI. Sort of like having restrictor plate stock car racing, where its all about rubbing paint. :)

I think having time of day and weather conditions as optional would be a big plus as well!

For instance:
  • Race Start Time:
    • Morning
    • Noon (default)
    • Afternoon
    • Evening

• Weather Conditions:
    • Sunny (default)
    • Drizzle
    • Rain
    • Heavy Rain
    • Variable
The more variables they offer, the wider the variety of racing conditions there will be, thus adding a great deal more replay value to the game, and allowing racing leagues to create some really interesting racing scenarios. 👍👍

Of course I'm going to have to keep my expectations in check, as I was hoping for some of these options in GT4, and that sure didn't happen.

Any way, these interviews with Kazunori Yamauchi and his team at PD sure sound intriguing! I can't wait to hear more news on GT5 as more details are revealed.

D-N,

I agree with most of what you said, but I'm not sure I can agree on rubber-band AI...I like the AI to race fair, & if you want to have some closer racing maybe they can implement caution periods when someone crashes. That should be enough to make for tighter racing.

Of course, this implies that there should be real-life rules & damage, as it all goes hand in hand.

Wow....great interview!!
Go PD, I'm sure it must be tough for them to try and know how to please everyone. I'm sure that online play will be someething very special.
More realistic settings sounds great!! iTs what really seperates you from everyone else, you gotta be in the know.;) I think we all know about what kind of tracks to expect in GT5, good idea. The past of K. Yamauichi was great, as well as the GT. Its very nice to know. In one question K.Y asks about whether poeple would agree with max damage.
I dont know how PD stands on an official online forum liked to the official site, but even if they didnt want to work on a forum. I think a simple poll setup would be most informative, both for the PD team and for Drivers. I understand that there are quite a few Race games out there. However GT IS SIMULATION!! That is the reason why most prefer GT over say Need for speed or other games.....arcade if you like.
So going full damage based on what we already know.......I think most would agree, we enjoy GT for simulation, so adding to that with damage is a fantastic idea.
As its obvious and sad...theres no point in trying to please everyoen...its just not going to happen, the majority rules I guess. The majority to which K.Y agrees. K.Y has not failed yet with big decisions like that of Damage control. So I think that they can incorperate it to its most realistic level.
Once again GT is like Kaz said....its a continued effort, stive for perfection.
Go PD!!;)

-> Many thanks for the tantalising news everyone! But all of this are still not 100% concrete in my book. Although it looks very promising to make me jump for joy, but given to their past promises and hopes (since GT2). I'm not budging yet, unfortunately Forza and PGR still has the upper hand here. :indiff:

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but so far, codemasters could potentially be a threat to GT. So far, they're rally game entitled Colin McRae: DIRT, looks fantastic, and if they decide to come out with another TOCA, there could be some major competition, judging by the way DIRT looks and looks like it will play. I know GT is the world of car racing combined into one package, which does make it so great, and yes, Codemasters did focus on one racing genre for the game, but I think visually, with the way the physics look and the way the cars flip and break apart, IMO, PD is really going to have to step up and actually do what they say they want to do if they want to conquer the competition on the PS3.

Codemasters are already making another Race driver game, but Race Driver and Gran Turismo, while both supposedly being simulations of sorts, hav never crossed over imo. GT is far more about the cars, and always will be. Even with the racing aspect improved 10 fold, it will still be about the cars, Race Driver is about the races, beating one raec series for a shot at the next. There's no ownership of the cars involved, it's pretty basic in terms of game structure.

GT5 could be about cars and racing if it's made properly. Multiplayer will bring about leagues, structure and actual competition.

As far as races,structure and leagues go,the online side of it could open up endless possibilities.Kaz has already said he'd like to hold special online events with rare prize cars and the like.

Yes, the online Racingn scene is going to really be something!!
The best Drivers, the best Races...all held by PD!!!
SWEET!!
I...arrr time to get crackin on practice for fav tracks wouldnt you say fellas???
Well anyhow, I like the idea of unique Cars designed for prizes or whatever for basically defining staus you might say as an online Racer. Maybe even a Rank for each track, Car or something would make competition really close.👍
R*

I just realized that the online racing would prove who is the best rally, drift and Road driver, not to mention the fights it'll start and end.
If PD does hold races you would think that they would have some form of law Enforcement to stop the bad sports men of the world destroying the race and every thing in it.

bjb
I just realized that the online racing would prove who is the best rally, drift and Road driver, not to mention the fights it'll start and end.
If PD does hold races you would think that they would have some form of law Enforcement to stop the bad sports men of the world destroying the race and every thing in it.

Knowing the perfectionism within PD, there's no doubt in my mind that they would implement some type of enforcement system. If they didn't, there will probably be a lot of disappointed players, and they would probably face a lot of heat from the GT community.

Here's the latest thing I can find on GT5.

http://technaute.lapresseaffaires.c...=81,12399,0,062007,1359860.html&ref=nouvelles

Anyways, it says most of what we already know, but the last part of the article seemed new to me.

À compter de l'automne prochain, les propriétaires de Playstation 3 pourront télécharger Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, une démo de la version finale de GT5.

It states that in autumn, owners of PS3 will be able to download GT5 Prologue, a demo of the final version of GT5.

**Nevermind, I just read an old article that did say it would be avail. on autumn!

Latest Posts

Back