GT5 Track Editor Thread

• Thread starter Tapey
  • 1,324 comments
If you're allowed to make point-to-point courses, I can only just imagine the amount of people trying to make Mt. Akina.

i hope we get some kind of rating system in then if we can share stuff - if forza car skins was anything to go by it will be 1000 **** versions and one good one

If you're allowed to make point-to-point courses, I can only just imagine the amount of people trying to make Mt. Akina.

yeah i been thinking about it too,in gta san andreas there was a lot of MT akinas,pretty sick but they did the same in forza and now we have fujimi kaido,in forza

If we get a track editor, I expect it to be quite simple in setup with a library of corners and straights that can be linked together. Not unlike the memory game in GT Skills (albeit more sophisticated).

In this GT PSP pre-launch mini game a small track is shown on 5x4 matrix, for just a few seconds. Next you have to rebuild that track with just 90deg corners and straights by dragging and dropping tiles and rotating a dropped tile by clicking it.

Great for building a Kart track, but not much more.

gtskillsmemorytest.jpg

So much news in the last few weeks. A track editor would be nice, however am skeptical. If they can do it a good job with this it would forsure have a major advantage over other games and allow for indefinite game play value. However I would much rather have a livery editor and more tunning options instead. I seriusly doubt that you would be able to take elements from any of the real tracks to make a new one. GT5 will be incredible, lets just hope that maximize the use of all the cars. Very indepth and unlimited Online modes.

A track editor would be great, but I'm not certain that it's as extensive as others are making it out to be. But I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Question for moderator here.

Is it possible to open a special topic with (under topics) for than GTplanet members creators can show them futur GT5 tracks building to others member. (Projet, shemes, Design, map, idea, pictures, work in progress etc..)

Thank you. :)

Question for moderator here.

Is it possible to open a special topic with (under topics) for than GTplanet members creators can show them futur GT5 tracks building to others member. (Projet, shemes, Design, map, idea, pictures, work in progress etc..)

Thank you. :)

I am not one of the admins , don't want to be pedantic but I think they'll do it once track editor is confirm,not to let your hopes short just lets wait

My cousin and I spent hours making realistic rally tracks in Modnation Racers. We've gotten used to the tools to the extent that we'd love to see the same sort of tools for a GT5 editor.

In the past, racing game designers had to ensure that their tracks didn't bog down the framerate of the game. If GT5 does have an editor I expect it to not have many details on the sides of the track, and might end up looking like GT3's Complex String that had a barren landscape.

This feature sounds far too good to be true. I am trying my best to keep my expectations low, but ModNation Racers has opened my eyes to new possibilities.

Just saw this at gran-turismo.com and found it slightly interesting regarding track editor:

2ztiyiq.jpg

I mean the crossing track paths on the right. They obviously have a way to isolate those easily for a shot like that. Could be a photoshop also of course.

Just saw this at gran-turismo.com and found it slightly interesting regarding track editor:

2ztiyiq.jpg

I mean the crossing track paths on the right. They obviously have a way to isolate those easily for a shot like that. Could be a photoshop also of course.
Could be and it is inline with what I wrote a few posts up. And remember also the 3rd tale by Amar:

Third tale says that for the first time ever skypaths will not be just solid and already known but that new skypaths will be built by birdtamers from the parts of existing skypaths.

Judging from that clue it seems like it is a LEGO like track editor where you take existing parts and put them together.

My only concern with that is that you have little control over pitch and altitude. In other words, can't make something like an uphill climb with heavily banked corners to help maintain your speed.

Sorry to bump this thread, but do you reckon this (speculated) track editor will have PSMove support where you have a top down grid and you draw a line with the controller?

After reading this, I'm gonna go and fire up GT2 on my PS3 (it's the only GT I have after selling my PS2 for a PS3) play some of the classic tracks then attempt to recreate them (or at least tracks inspired by them!)

Yes,Yes,Yes, thats exactly what I was hoping to see !

Reading the description thats just brilliant, not a track creator as such but a track editor/creator. Magic.

I'm going to make a crapload of tracks. I'm probably going to spend more time in the track editor than on the race track.

It's going to make racing very interesting indeed, if you can drive these tracks online, imagine racing down a road that no one has been on before ! With full damage !

Seems the IGN article has been pulled, were they being a bit naughty ?

Last edited:
That's good news, it'll be fun to tinker with the tracks. This is one of the features I'm probably going to spend the most time playing.

Maybe little bored here, but modelled (2min model) a layout without any elevation changes of a track I'd love to do with a track editor.

Would it be so hard to have "half-automated" editor, where you just draw the layout and tap the elevation changes in and then with a few selections choose how the program decorates it. I would be moooooore than happy with something like that :D

click for bigger

edit, pic removed

Guess what?
I'm moooooooooore than happy!!!!!!1111! :D 👍

Google archives?

I copied and pasted the article somewhere else previously.

Gamescom: GT5 Course Maker Unveiled

Following months of speculation, Polyphony's Kazunori Yamauch finally unveiled Gran Turismo 5's track editor, known officially as the course maker.

Rather than being a fully featured editor – a feature that, Yamauchi confessed, was tinkered with but deemed too complex – the course maker allows players to select certain set parameters to create a track. A theme can be selected, with the Belgian High Fens or Toscana two examples, and the individual track sectors are then defined.

Sectors are edited individually, with frequency of curves, sharpness of corners, degree of topography and banking angle are set with a series of sliders.

Yamauchi created one for the purpose of the demo, a 10km run through the Belgian High Fens. It was sparse but not without sparkle, with rolling hills and fields and the occasional environmental feature like a small village giving it the feeling of a long and winding country road.

Karts were also confirmed for Gran Turismo 5, and Yamauchi revealed that originally this was a feature intended for Gran Turismo 6 – but after it leaked Polyphony decided to put it in this iteration.

We'll have full impressions of Gran Turismo 5 for you later today.

GTPlanet is great to keep scoops that were published by error.

Now to understand this:
Sectors are edited individually = the start and the end of sector will be fixed. From there not a full editor.

with frequency of curves, sharpness of corners, = you can remove, change corners

degree of topography and banking angle are set = you can change the slope in front and on the sides.

with a series of sliders. = simple controls on fixed points, from there not a full editor.

================

So if they allow Suzuka, you could take those crazy Ses out, make the first corner more round, etc.... but you would not be able to add an extra S, unless they did forsee a slider for this?

So if they allow Suzuka, you could take those crazy Ses out, make the first corner more round, etc.... but you would not be able to add an extra S, unless they did forsee a slider for this?
You're not editing existing circuits. You're creating circuits from scratch, using the sliders to adjust the number of corners and their severity in each sector. No doubt you could create a Suzuka clone with the changes you describe, but you're not actually editing Suzuka.

I think tracks in the rough shape of real ones will be as good as gets for those wanting to recreate real tracks.

But its a start and may get fleshed out nicely in the coming years.

Latest Posts

Back