GT5 Track Editor Thread

• Thread starter Tapey
  • 1,324 comments
I just hope to be able to make tracks that are similar to existing track, like Brands hatch for example.

The German PlayStation Blog mentiones that you can create "loop tracks" or "one way tracks". Which means to me that point-to-point hillclimbs and rallyestages are possible. :)

You're not editing existing circuits. You're creating circuits from scratch, using the sliders to adjust the number of corners and their severity in each sector. No doubt you could create a Suzuka clone with the changes you describe, but you're not actually editing Suzuka.

You can choose from a scene or theme for your track.. So he meant if there was a suzuka theme you can.....

I think you've all got this wrong...in my personal opinion. My interpretation is that you select parameters and the game creates a track for you.

If you are happy with it you save it. HOWEVER if you are not happy with it you might be able to edit the existing track or you might have to create another new track. This is all about auto-generation with, maybe, tweak edits.

I don't think you'll be doing anything like recreating other circuits. Kaz has already hinted that it would be too hard to get working properly.

I could be way off the mark with this but that's how I read it.

The track editor sounds good but looks like is a lot less than was i was hopping. I was hopping for something very complex and powerfull so just a limited number of users could use to make awesome tracks like a replica of Spa Francorchamps or Brno.
Something just like Forza´s livery editor where most of the users can only do stripes or basica racing replicas but theres some users that could paint gorgeous works of arts and then sell them.

I think thats the best aproach, to give powerfull tools that only a small set of users will know how to work with but they will do wonderfull things that the rest of the community will love.

I think that for such a large game, other than the costs/benefits of a very complex track editor (with maybe support for common 3d models and formats used by common 3d modeling programs), there also might be licensing issues if tracks are made too much similar to real existing ones or other games.

I think that for such a large game, other than the costs/benefits of a very complex track editor (with maybe support for common 3d models and formats used by common 3d modeling programs), there also might be licensing issues if tracks are made too much similar to real existing ones or other games.

Whats why it should not have 3d importer support but there no problem if people make the their tracks almost 1:1 to the real one.

I think you've all got this wrong...in my personal opinion. My interpretation is that you select parameters and the game creates a track for you.

If you are happy with it you save it. HOWEVER if you are not happy with it you might be able to edit the existing track or you might have to create another new track. This is all about auto-generation with, maybe, tweak edits.

I don't think you'll be doing anything like recreating other circuits. Kaz has already hinted that it would be too hard to get working properly.

The article that was pulled from IGN mentioned that individual sections can be edited, i.e. track width, curve tightness, camber etc. This was corroborated by a German article, which may or may not still be live. I'm not sure, but there may have been others.

Anyway. I hope that it can produce random circuits. In a way, that's actually harder to implement properly, unless the terrain is fixed (so it knows where it can and "can't" run the course). I can't be arsed sitting down and making something from scratch every time I want a new track; a random generator that then lets you go back and tweak odd bits of camber and corner sequences would be ideal. A procedural scenery placement would be the icing on the cake :dopey:

The article that was pulled from IGN mentioned that individual sections can be edited, i.e. track width, curve tightness, camber etc. This was corroborated by a German article, which may or may not still be live. I'm not sure, but there may have been others.

Anyway. I hope that it can produce random circuits. In a way, that's actually harder to implement properly, unless the terrain is fixed (so it knows where it can and "can't" run the course). I can't be arsed sitting down and making something from scratch every time I want a new track; a random generator that then lets you go back and tweak odd bits of camber and corner sequences would be ideal. A procedural scenery placement would be the icing on the cake :dopey:

I'm with you on that one, from what I read into what we know so far you should be able to produce a driveable track in no time at all, or spend as much time as you want fiddling with it.

If it is too complex, someone mentioned the Forza 3 livery editor, all you would get is thousands of ovals and a couple of complex tracks from people with too much time on their hands, where's the fun in that?

Yeah I noticed that earlier today but I thought it was because they jumped the embargo...not that the information was incorrect.

Would it be harder, though? I mean if you tell it what you want wouldn't it be easier for the computer to create a track within it's limits rather than letting the user go mad with it?

This is kind of how it sounds to me too... you say I want this basemap, then put a track on it that is 30% dirt and 70% tarmac that is 18km long and on a scale of 1 to 10 is an 8 on twistiness.

A course appears.

Then you can go fine tune and say maybe "turn 17 needs to be banked more and the straight between turn 19 and 20 should be narrower.

Would it be harder, though? I mean if you tell it what you want wouldn't it be easier for the computer to create a track within it's limits rather than letting the user go mad with it?

That's what I meant! :P Maybe my wording was mixed up...

Anyway, having both a random generator and the editing tools, similar to what was smuggled out to the internets this morning, would be ideal in any case.

I basically meant what Devedander just posted, plus a bit more control over the track nodes (e.g. their location). Except, you could also start from scratch if you had the balls...

See the glimpses of the track on Tuscan countryside, that's what I suspect the Course Maker will do. Especially since Kaz did say Toscana was one of the track environment options
Hopefully variable time of day and weather on these tracks is in....

The bits on the brown countryside
[YOUTUBEHD]3TXpXclylWg[/YOUTUBEHD]

Latest news on the 'Course Maker'

http://eu.gran-turismo.com
In the "Course Maker", you will select the base theme (terrain), and select a variety of parameters such as the length of the course, to easily create a track which matches your parameters. If you come up with a good track, you can also give these original tracks to your friends online, and use them in the races with your friends in My Lounge.

Is anyone else getting the impression that you select the 'theme', the length of track and by the looks of things whether the track is a circuit or a point to point rally stage/hillclimb/sprint. But then the computer randomly generates a layout?

I know i'm just speculating here, but i see no mention of the user being able to select the actual layout, just options to influence the style of the course...

Latest news on the 'Course Maker'

Is anyone else getting the impression that you select the 'theme', the length of track and by the looks of things whether the track is a circuit or a point to point rally stage/hillclimb/sprint. But then the computer randomly generates a layout?

I know i'm just speculating here, but i see no mention of the user being able to select the actual layout, just options to influence the style of the course...

Yup it generates the tracks random.

Thats why it is called a COURSEMAKER instead of a track editor!

I think it's mostly random too.
Sections will be probably able, as mentioned elsewhere, to be tweaked more in detail, but still with not too much control over every aspect.

According to Eurogamer the tracks can be up to 10km. Thats twice the length of Suzuka.

He switches to the game and starts by picking a theme - sunset in Toscana, although there appear to be lots of others - before playing with some slider bars and dropdowns to change the number of sectors, course type (one-way or loop), weather and time of day. Tracks can be up to 10km long.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-19-gran-turismo-5-preview?page=2

You can set settings for each section as well, but it's procedurally generated

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-19-gran-turismo-5-preview?page=2

Yamauchi does a quick demo but there's hardly time to take it in because then he's on to the Course Maker. "This isn't something you would use to make an exact recreation of a road," says Yamauchi, scotching visions of a proper 3D track creator. "But you can make tracks that suit parameters you specify."
He switches to the game and starts by picking a theme - sunset in Toscana, although there appear to be lots of others - before playing with some slider bars and dropdowns to change the number of sectors, course type (one-way or loop), weather and time of day. Tracks can be up to 10km long.
He then jumps into the game via the Test Drive button and within seconds he's zooming down highways through parched fields and villages. He exits back to the Course Maker screen and tunes a couple of sectors, changing the frequency of curves, course width, sharpness of corners, degree of topography tracing and bank angles. When he hits Test Drive again he's facing a totally different course of rising straights and increasingly sharp, technical corners.

"It's not practical to have a regular course creator," says Yamauchi, "because it ends up being a complicated 3D tool and nobody would be able to use it." Course Maker certainly looks easy to use.

It would cool if you could drag those blue circles around and move each sector

Think of it as a never ending supply of countryside roads to explore 👍
Drift teams will have a ball. Touging at night with high beams to flash out the other drivers :)

As we can share our creations with friends im assuming we can use these created tracks online in a private room. Just imagine how much fun this will be racing against your friends on a track that you have created. This will provide endless hrs of fun.

This looks like a crapload of fun and it will keep the replay value of this game up! Not that that has ever been a problem with a GT game... but it's good to hear nonetheless!

Back