GT6 Gameplay Crashes by PS3 Model

• Thread starter Famine
  • 117 comments

Have you experienced any GT6 gameplay crashes (read post 1 before voting)

• No crashes: 1st generation fat (CECHA, B)

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • No crashes: 2nd generation fat (CECHC, E)

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • No crashes: 3rd generation fat/40Gb (CECHG, H, J)

Votes: 20 6.0%
  • No crashes: 3rd generation fat/Other (CECHK, L, M, P, Q)

Votes: 25 7.5%
  • No crashes: 4th generation slim (CECH20, 21, 25, 30)

Votes: 132 39.8%
  • No crashes: 5th generation superslim (CECH40)

Votes: 34 10.2%
  • Crashed!: 1st generation fat (CECHA, B)

Votes: 20 6.0%
  • Crashed!: 2nd generation fat (CECHC, E)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Crashed!: 3rd generation fat/40Gb (CECHG, H, J)

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Crashed!: 3rd generation fat/Other (CECHK, L, M, P, Q)

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Crashed!: 4th generation slim (CECH20, 21, 25, 30)

Votes: 62 18.7%
  • Crashed!: 5th generation superslim (CECH40)

Votes: 17 5.1%

• Total voters
No crashes: 3rd generation fat/Other CECHL01

I leave my 5 years old PlayStation 3 on for 24/7, no crash yet on GT6...

No crashes per gameplay yet for me, but I had to buy a new Laser because the old one was on the verge of dying. Turned out getting a good discounted deal on a new PS3 + game was cheaper than getting it fixed. Would have done it myself if I had the equipment for it.

My first generation 60gb fatty died about four days after I got GT6. I was playing and suddenly the screen froze and a yellow light came on in place of the green/blue. I was playing a Blu-Ray copy of the game and the crashed PS3 wouldn't spit out the game so I ended up ripping it apart to at least get my $60 game.

Is Polyphony aware of this "problem" ? Their game f'in broke my game console :banghead:

No crashes with a 4th-gen slimshady', but I've have my shares of 'lag-freezing'.

When playing online, its either started by horrid skip-lagging (which seems to correlate with NAT3/NAT2 encounters) or it's just like the game just chooses not to load and/or freezes completely, which I think leaves your car in a weird, slidey, suspended-animation like it's been dragged along sideways by a giant magnet.

I saw it happen to a BMW recently this week in a London-lobby, suspension was loaded on the left side, unloaded on the right, completely stiff and not animated in anyway, sliding right to left close to the start/finish, then about 30-seconds later, that user laggedlogged off PSN.

Basically, PD got the launch wrong, again :rolleyes: (too much launch-event, not enough quality-check)

I'm not sure what the poll is supposed to show other than that more people who voted have the 4th gen model than anything else.

The fact that it has crashed at least once or has not crashed even once does not mean much really.

Example. person A has only played Gt6 for a total of 15 hours and it has crashed 7 times where person B has played for 200 hours and it crashed twice both count as 1 vote and make it appear equal when it is far from it, Person C has played only 10 hours and has not had a crash yet.

[note I'm not sure how crashing is supposed to be separated from freezing, hanging] If the system stops responding or if just the game stops responding technically that is a crash.

The game will crash/freeze/hang on any system under the right conditions if you play it long enough.

Of course I voted no as mine has not actually crashed. It has frozen up about 6 times though ;) I even had one freeze on the main PS screen before I even clicked on GT6 so it happens outside the game as well.

[note I'm not sure how crashing is supposed to be separated from freezing, hanging] If the system stops responding or if just the game stops responding technically that is a crash.
And remember, we're not after any and all crashes (such as the one that affected the v1.03 update) - ONLY triple-beep crashes from within actual gameplay .

Crashed!: 3rd generation fat/Other (CECHK, L, M, P, Q)

Crashed totally, PS3 can be booted up only to recovery/maintenance menu, but all functions from there just jams PS and only thing what it is doing is lighting up HDD light and flashes green light constantly.
It started just first "killing" one car on garage (team oreca R8), always when selecting that from "garage" menu PS3 jams totally, long press on power button was only solution. then got three beeps and booting up thru maintenance file system fix. tried several times (atleast 5 times), and all times same happened, all other cars can be selected but not oreca, oreca can be selected from "start" button car selection menu but not from garage, if oreca was selected thru start menu and tried to enter garage game/PS3 tilts totally.
Then I tried move to stockyard and back that oreca but still same.
Then reinstall whole game and codes again, redo car images and it started to work, raced few laps on free run of bathurst and nordshleife and all was ok, then entered to "like a wind" with Mclaren and after two seconds of game play PS3 tilts totally, had to keep about 30-40sec power button to get PS3 shutdown. After that nothing can be done with that PS3, GT6 probably broke HDD (OCZ SSD) filesystem so badly at now it is not waking up else than recovery menu.

SSD was installed/bought few days after GT6, now planning to put old hybrid momemtum seagate in and check if that problem is on filesystem. (betting at it is filesystem problem, problem caused by Polyphonys 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 coding skills)

Edit:
There has been somewhere near 10 three beep crashes during racing before episode described on this post.
Sudden crash of PS3 with three beeps will break some SSD drives, it will corrupt SSD's Firmware, as on my case it did. I was running under warranty of SSD and will get new from warranty. (Sudden power loss is poison for SSD)
Will NOT put SSD back until PD has released few GOOD updates to game, don't want to try OCZ warranty dudes nerves with idiotic game programmers skills.

Last edited:
CECH 3004A, 160GB, crashed once while gaming online
had to force the shut down, then power on, the console made a file system check
after that, no problems

No crashes: 4th generation slim (CECH20, 21, 25, 30)

I've had no problems with GT6 crashing thus far. Even online. Been disconnected of course but nothing freezing.

No crashes: 4th generation slim (CECH2001A) 500g Seagate HDD and new laser.

Only time my ps3 has hard crashed was when I was impatient about loading times when my laser was failing.
No hiccups at all in the 6 weeks or so since replacing it.

Just was running a league race at Bathurst and it decided to freeze :grumpy: I have a pretty much new SuperSlim, and this is my first gameplay crash. 🤬 Bathurst....

Fourth gen Slim PS3 with the stock 160gb HDD. No sudden triple beep crashes at all, so I guess I chose the right option.

This might not count, but it's good to mention: I've only had a game freeze once and it happened while I adjusted the volume settings in the pause menu. The game just locked up and had no choice but to do a hard reset. It did triple beep and went to the restore file thing. This was in the early days of the game.

This PS3 has proven to be solid as a rock. It's almost four years old now, spent most of its days in a hot and humid tropical weather, survived hundreds of sudden power failures and it even made it alive through three flights in the past week; one international and two local.

Last edited:
Super slim 250gb, while running the Clio on the Free Run menu to test the car for the Seasonal, pressing Pause just stopped the car. There was no option menu, so I was not able to exit from Free Run. The only option I had was to press the PS button and quit the game. Of course this caused the PS3 to think there was a problem and ran the check system.

SUGGESTION.

I'm taking an educated guess here. Part of the cause may be related to RAM shortages. We know the PS3 is very RAM-limited, and we know that a proven way to computer system unreliability is to reduce its RAM. When a game is played, that will bring operating system and other assets into RAM which may stay there after the game is ended.

My suggestion is to take your PS3 through a normal power down, power up cycle before starting GT6. Even if the previous game played was GT6, just to be safe. That will clear any unneeded assets from RAM.

I don't use any of my 3 PS3s for anything other than GT and I don't have this issue.

Try it, it might work for you too.

On the other hand, it might be just something to do with my specific PS3s.

I have second gen. CECHE 80gb and crashes all the time. Sometimes minutes into trying any of the Internation A license test. I don't race online, so not sure of problems there for me. Although, I haven't had any freezes or shut downs doing seasonal time trials. Would anybody know if changing the HDD would help, or even solve some of this?

No crashes : 4th gen Slim ( CECH3xxx ), bought last year in June, replaced the HDD with 500GB Seagate. Have driven over 24000km both online and offline, mainly doing arcade races at Bathurst in the rain in the 1st month of playing, doing the career races, then the last 2/3 months mainly offline and online tuning, testing and cruising, building replicas and tunes for my garage.

Spent 4000+km now at Bathurst with not single issue, not even audio issue :D

Oh, also played MGS V GZ at 1080p with DST5.1, smooth frame rate, no stutter even during opening and ending cut scenes, as well as when blowing things up and CQC combo against multiple guards :D Spent over 175 minutes on my last play session non stop then change disc -driving on GT6 with no single hiccup for another 2 hours.
My friend PS3 - SuperSlim have lots of issues with MGS V GZ, mainly frame rate drop when there's more than 2 guards on screen alongside Big Boss :(

So, maybe some PS3 models are more stable when pushed to the limit, but also maybe because of age and wear.

Looks like I got one mean Hilux Slim PS3 :lol: I actually ran GT6 for over 10 hours straight, tuning, testing and cruising last weekend ( finished 4 cars ), then play MGS V GZ for another 2 hours, I did took a break every few hours, but the PS3 was running non stop, and the fan was silent all the way :P

Last edited:
I had an original 60gig fat PS3 that simply wouldn't function with GT6. I could start the game and when I tried to go to my garage or some other menus it would simply hard power off. Tried different game saves and always got the same result of crashing. That PS3 was fully functional with anything else though. My solution: bring it to game stop and trade it for a new PS3. Worked great because the system was useless to me since it didn't run GT6, and I got full trade value for it since it worked.

My 60gb European fatty 3 red lighted every single time I played during a race or at almost any random menu screen. Metal gear solid ground zeroes killed it in the end. Ylod. When saw the state of the thermal compound I wasn't surprised really. My new superslim hasn't 3 blinked once yet. But getting long menu pauses since 1.06 update

Hi Guys,

It seems that the reason GT6 is crashing is due to heat. Yesterday I thoroughly cleaned it out and applied new thermal paste and now my PS3 is running GT6 like a champ! :D

4th gen slim with digital GT6.I have gameplay freezes at least twice a week.90% Of the time its during online races and due to a connection issue but occassionally I get a total freeze during single player races.

Hi Guys,

It seems that the reason GT6 is crashing is due to heat. Yesterday I thoroughly cleaned it out and applied new thermal paste and now my PS3 is running GT6 like a champ! :D
Not in my case,my ps3 sits vertically and I have a hillbillyish laptop fan attached to the bottom plus I use the Digital version.Its 100% the game I take rediculous care of my ps3 and no other game (besides BF4) freezes like this.Owned since 2009!

Last edited by a moderator:
500gb super slim here. Purchaed on September 17th 2013. (I bet you can all guess what game it was purchased for lol)

I have had 2 triple beep gameplay freezes/crashes. One online during an actual race (very frustrating), the other was just doing TTs offline.

Annoying yes, but not often enough to be deemed a problem for me.

Had a few triple beep crashes when quitting the game and one when exiting a TT last week. Never an in race one.

The one last week was a strange one in that it was the first time I'd loaded the game that day and it took in excess of two minutes to fully load the game. Normally thirty seconds, or so is common for me. It's been OK since. (Touch wood)

Oh yeah I have a 2nd gen 60GB Fatty and have voted.

Not in my case,my ps3 sits vertically and I have a hillbillyish laptop fan attached to the bottom plus I use the Digital version.Its 100% the game I take rediculous care of my ps3 and no other game (besides BF4) freezes like this.Owned since 2009!

I spoke too soon.. I somehow just prolonged the crash.. Yesterday I drilled holes at the bottom where the fan is.. Didn't make a difference. I'm now tempted to water-cool the living jesus out of it. =/

I spoke too soon.. I somehow just prolonged the crash.. Yesterday I drilled holes at the bottom where the fan is.. Didn't make a difference. I'm now tempted to water-cool the living jesus out of it. =/
Or you can do what I did,I just bought a cheap laptop fan powered by usb and taped it to the bottom,looks horrible but works wonderfully

Back