GTDesigned: A Community Vision GT Project

We'll going to add a series of poll for 3 days, for now the layout

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not too much...I think... Jordan queried PD about our project...possibly...I'm pretty sure. But as usual I wouldn't get too excited yet, all we can do is hope for the best.

Hey, so idea time.

What do you guys think about casting a new poll and see what would change? I don't mean the entire car itself, but specific components that could be left in questioning (transmission type, drivetrain, # of seats, etc).

We did that....only thing I would change is the tranny (to a seq 4 or 5 speed) or the drivetrain (RR) and possibly the engine (Rotary or a Steam Engine :dopey:)

Pds answer? How much did.I miss?
  • Locked in a final design
  • redone the poll (for some reason)
  • Jordan asked PD if they'd be interested, however this could take months or years to be confirmed.
  • Total reset (I think) because Jordan recommended we start over and involve more people (let's face it, we have very few regular posters here)
We're currently doing... something. I think it's just sketching ideas to be put into the car.

• Locked in a final design
  • redone the poll (for some reason)
  • Jordan asked PD if they'd be interested, however this could take months or years to be confirmed.
  • Total reset (I think) because Jordan recommended we start over and involve more people (let's face it, we have very few regular posters here)
We're currently doing... something. I think it's just sketching ideas to be put into the car.

As I understood it he wrote that if there's a positive response from PD, he would make sure that everyone gets a chance to be a part of it. Because right now we're just a small branch of the GTPlanet tree. But any decisions we make here is not going to be final because the process will have to be restarted if we get a green light from PD. We could keep the discussion going though, just to spawn ideas and keep the topic alive, but it's best to treat everything we do here as suggestions and not final decisions.

Here's an idea.
Make more then one car design.Like the Alpine did, they have made over 50 different car sketch variations.
So why don't we do the same, and in the end, decide which one goes for the final touches.
We did exactly that a long time ago.

PicsArt_1406646728925.jpg

We did exactly that a long time ago.
We have, but only a cupful of people voted for that poll, and Jordan stated that we need more people on this.

Anyway i have a car design of my own, which is not a kei car, and i did post a picture of it a long time ago.
Now i'm preparing a page for the car, so i will post a link when it's done.

Last edited:
I'd think a reboot is a good idea, I liked what's been done and some great work into it, but I don't believe the process was either correct or given enough time to really reflect GTP's opinion. The process simply cannot start with individuals submitting designs, it stops being a community developed project immediately from the get-go, and just becomes people voting for the best drawn idea from an individual.

Like I say, great work from everyone in this thread so far, just not representative of GTP in my opinion. Hell, you could even see the current designs through and submit them to autoblogs anyway, plenty of people do.

I've said it earlier, a reboot doesn't mean that 'our' mega Kei car will be eliminated from this renewed plan/poll. By makig a giant poll, like companies by making market researches, it's possible to guide the contributors with smart questions and examples (pictures like the Giga kart from @Nessy ) and will result into a possible VGT with the same dimensions of our MegaKei or maybe a bit taller (won't be a shame).

I don't have the time for this, but is there somebody reading this thread and want to collect all the images + ideas (only technical ideas that relates to the car) together into a big Inspirational vgt folder ?

I wouldn't like for the Kei car to die, it's a beautiful creation so far, and we must preserve it.
Veyron *fanboys*, and well my car is actually in my mind a faster and more powerful car then the Veyron.
But i think it's an awesome car, would be awesome if you guys consider it as part of the GTP VGT car design.

The car page will be up and running very soon.

I've said it earlier, a reboot doesn't mean that 'our' mega Kei car will be eliminated from this renewed plan/poll. By makig a giant poll, like companies by making market researches, it's possible to guide the contributors with smart questions and examples (pictures like the Giga kart from @Nessy ) and will result into a possible VGT with the same dimensions of our MegaKei or maybe a bit taller (won't be a shame).

I don't have the time for this, but is there somebody reading this thread and want to collect all the images + ideas (only technical ideas that relates to the car) together into a big Inspirational vgt folder ?
See, this is the problem I have with your "guide them to the answers" solution is that there would be no point in a poll, I mean if you're going to tell them what to say why even ask them?

See, this is the problem I have with your "guide them to the answers" solution is that there would be no point in a poll, I mean if you're going to tell them what to say why even ask them?

Because you don't have to tell them directly.. also don't ask them directly. That's how marketing works. psycho-marketing. Watch those NGC (national Geographic) Brain-training and mindblowing series, for how this kind of marketing works. And not only marketing, when you fill a poll/research form for a company, it's so simply clever to guide people to the answers they need, without asking their contributors in a straight line.

I don't watch tv-commercials that much (I zap all the time), but sometimes when I'm thirsty and I see a coca cola advit...Oh yes I'm in for a cold glass of cola (and happily I've a fridge with ice-cube-midget in the door).

I've explained my idea of a big poll/research earlier...
By asking the right stuff, by knowing the contributors by their GT-history and by posting a couple of nice kei-car sized sketches, you've 3 ingredients to guide the contributors to a smaller VGT then we have seen so far. Maybe we get a car that's a little bit bigger than a kei-car, but I'm almost certain we get an average of a normal (down) sized vehicle, pretty much in the direction we had this far.

Really i think it's beyond anyone's control, although suggestive marketing does indeed work. I think being vocal about a product/direction of thinking is obviously going to gain more of a following, than something that's very little talked about.

So let's talk more about a Kei car sized VGT. :lol:

Seriously though, just the thought of possibly having a 'GTP community designed concept' in the game, is awesome! regardless of what a wider poll will do to the end product, whether it be Kei car or a Veyron fanboys wet dream. It would still be a magnificent achievement for the community as a whole.

Questions do have to be a little guided, or at least contextual. Completely independent voting on body style and drive train could lead to a mismatch that doesn't really reflect what idea of a GT any of the voters actually had. I wish I had the time to contribute a more constructive offering to this, but sadly thanks to work and life I don't, so I hope I don't sound to negative, it could be a great community project. Off the top of my head some quick thoughts...

The design brief is already set by Kaz,"from Kazunori Yamauchi: "Would you be willing to design your rendition of Gran Turismo for us?" The videogame’s name "Gran Turismo" (GT) refers to a 2-door sport car, known as a Grand Touring car in the automotive world."

The next stage is to understand what a GT is to GTPlanet, however that is acheived (polls etc.) needs to be clearly thought out and discussed before hand, and I think it must be front page news on this site to get as many answers as possible. Once that information is collected, a general design specification can be issued. As a personal suggestion, I would like to see initial suggestions limited to Road cars, rather than race cars, then when the final stage is reached, a race car version of the road car could perhaps be developed?

Perhaps then, if Jordan deems that enough interest has been registered, through sufficient votes for stage 1, a sub-forum could be set-up (managing this in one or two threads in the GT6 section is a little confusing to keep up with). In this sub-forum, individuals, or even self-managed teams develop their concepts from the design specification. This is given a defined time period during which time a design concept must be finished - this doesn't need to be a finished idea, but enough for people to understand your design and concept. Again, the final submissions from this stage should be front page news.

I'd then suggest a selection process that sees perhaps the top 2 or 3 designs/concepts go through for further development... these could be taken to a virtually finished stage, then, one final design is voted for. This concept is then judged again the original polls to evaluate if it met the actual wants of the GTP community as laid out in the design spec, and then perhaps refined based on the suggestions and feedback, perhaps ideas from one are taken to another, etc. The final product is then polished up and submitted.

.. just my two cents.

Questions do have to be a little guided, or at least contextual. Completely independent voting on body style and drive train could lead to a mismatch that doesn't really reflect what idea of a GT any of the voters actually had. I wish I had the time to contribute a more constructive offering to this, but sadly thanks to work and life I don't, so I hope I don't sound to negative, it could be a great community project. Off the top of my head some quick thoughts...

The design brief is already set by Kaz,"from Kazunori Yamauchi: "Would you be willing to design your rendition of Gran Turismo for us?" The videogame’s name "Gran Turismo" (GT) refers to a 2-door sport car, known as a Grand Touring car in the automotive world."

The next stage is to understand what a GT is to GTPlanet, however that is acheived (polls etc.) needs to be clearly thought out and discussed before hand, and I think it must be front page news on this site to get as many answers as possible. Once that information is collected, a general design specification can be issued. As a personal suggestion, I would like to see initial suggestions limited to Road cars, rather than race cars, then when the final stage is reached, a race car version of the road car could perhaps be developed?

Perhaps then, if Jordan deems that enough interest has been registered, through sufficient votes for stage 1, a sub-forum could be set-up (managing this in one or two threads in the GT6 section is a little confusing to keep up with). In this sub-forum, individuals, or even self-managed teams develop their concepts from the design specification. This is given a defined time period during which time a design concept must be finished - this doesn't need to be a finished idea, but enough for people to understand your design and concept. Again, the final submissions from this stage should be front page news.

I'd then suggest a selection process that sees perhaps the top 2 or 3 designs/concepts go through for further development... these could be taken to a virtually finished stage, then, one final design is voted for. This concept is then judged again the original polls to evaluate if it met the actual wants of the GTP community as laid out in the design spec, and then perhaps refined based on the suggestions and feedback, perhaps ideas from one are taken to another, etc. The final product is then polished up and submitted.

.. just my two cents.

Yes, you're right on many things. But what I'm afraid of, is to get a car that's 100% choosen by the community, every detail will be criticized before and after it's designed. I said it earlier, the McLaren P1 seems a car it's perfectly made out of the designs and marketing people of McLaren, every option is so civilized and spot on... the car is too perfect and has no emotion at all. Designers get stug in a 'make this, not that' atmosphere...any inspiration or creativity from the designers will be irrelevant. And besides that, as mentioned it earlier before too.. you get a car that doesn't need a release date. No surprises at all.

Together with hundreds to thousands of enthusiastic GT-players you can create an average result on many details, many suggestions like engine, interior, sound, gearbox etc etc from the first poll/enquette. With those 'numbers & details' Designers are free to make their interpretation of it and give that VGT a soul !

Yes, you're right on many things. But what I'm afraid of, is to get a car that's 100% choosen by the community, every detail will be criticized before and after it's designed. I said it earlier, the McLaren P1 seems a car it's perfectly made out of the designs and marketing people of McLaren, every option is so civilized and spot on... the car is too perfect and has no emotion at all. Designers get stug in a 'make this, not that' atmosphere...any inspiration or creativity from the designers will be irrelevant. And besides that, as mentioned it earlier before too.. you get a car that doesn't need a release date. No surprises at all.

Together with hundreds to thousands of enthusiastic GT-players you can create an average result on many details, many suggestions like engine, interior, sound, gearbox etc etc from the first poll/enquette. With those 'numbers & details' Designers are free to make their interpretation of it and give that VGT a soul !

There will always be some people that aren't happy. If someone steadfastly sticks to the idea it should be a 6 wheeled V18 quad turbo wagon, then they're unlikely to be represented much in the end idea. All we can do is go with majority vote to best represent the site, and hope to incorporate ideas from the negative feedback too, where possible. The most crucial stage in my opinion, is gathering as many opinions as possible, and going for the most popular. This needs to be handled correctly though - simply voting on each thing in isolation could lead to a fairly random specification. The polling process for this needs to be discussed by people first, to come up with a fair and balanced way of doing it.

I think we also need to push the idea of coming up with something unique feature-wise too. If it's just a car then fine, but should it not be a car for GT Players first and foremost... what is it that we enjoy about GT that could be incorporated into the design?

The more people that are happy with the design spec, the more involvement I think we'd see at the concept stage, more creativity.

There will always be some people that aren't happy. If someone steadfastly sticks to the idea it should be a 6 wheeled V18 quad turbo wagon, then they're unlikely to be represented much in the end idea. All we can do is go with majority vote to best represent the site, and hope to incorporate ideas from the negative feedback too, where possible. The most crucial stage in my opinion, is gathering as many opinions as possible, and going for the most popular. This needs to be handled correctly though - simply voting on each thing in isolation could lead to a fairly random specification. The polling process for this needs to be discussed by people first, to come up with a fair and balanced way of doing it.

I think we also need to push the idea of coming up with something unique feature-wise too. If it's just a car then fine, but should it not be a car for GT Players first and foremost... what is it that we enjoy about GT that could be incorporated into the design?

The more people that are happy with the design spec, the more involvement I think we'd see at the concept stage, more creativity.

Great one-liner there ! And also very true ! Thanks for sharing your thougts :)

I'm open to the idea of a wagon; obviously not a six wheeled quad turbo V18. Maybe an N/A two stroke six cylinder? But back on track here (this is to all): I think the opinion of the majority may suprise us. You can't please everyone but I think the majority will be satisfied. Our current obvious issue is getting a developer (obviously we're shooting for a spot among the VGT's but if someone else will put our car in the game that's fine with me) to put the car in the game.

simply voting on each thing in isolation could lead to a fairly random specification.

I agree. It's better to vote on a whole concept. Those who wants more influence over the specific engine used can always join a project group and try to influence them, or contribute with their own concept and hope people will vote for it.

I also think that simply having one vote per person isn't going to work, it would be better if you could rate each concept on a scale from 1-10 and then the concept with highest rating will be selected. That way people can place low ratings on concepts they really don't want, and high ratings if they have several favourites.

Problem: We aren't marketing this.

Well yes you are right... but also.. We will have to get more attention when we are a bit further in this project. We have to sell the question if people want to joint by filling polls, answer questions or want to join us as a contributor, designer you name it.. We have to search for attention from PD in the future and maybe Sony SCEA.

I think in the end, if the VGT is finally there and we look back... "We did some awesome marketing during this project and we nailed it !!".

Sure we aren't here for marketing, we want to produce something way more interesting than the dull marketing stuff. But it isn't weird to look at other businesses and markets to learn from.

obviously we're shooting for a spot among the VGT's but if someone else will put our car in the game that's fine with me
The only place I would get to drive it would be in GT6...my family is kind of poor so I refrain from asking for much....although I would love to have a racing setup, AC, PCars and Forza Horizon and Forza Motorsports....

Latest Posts

Back