GTP_OMRS Month 2: It's All About M3

• Thread starter Jump_Ace
  • 98 comments
I'm sorry but I feel exceptionally stupid. I don't understand the times at all.

Can someone explain to me at what times, in local time or GMT doesn't matter which, that Steven's lounge races for example. "April 2nd, 2011 2PM, 3PM (GMT-8) "

hopefully ill be here and racing. im around at my friends so i might have one race and then let them take part but hang at the rear. they havent had any OLR so if approved they can roll at the rear.

I'm sorry but I feel exceptionally stupid. I don't understand the times at all.

Can someone explain to me at what times, in local time or GMT doesn't matter which, that Steven's lounge races for example. "April 2nd, 2011 2PM, 3PM (GMT-8) "
I had the same trouble with this so here it is:

If you want to join my room tomorrow, you should be ready just before 2pm gmt-8 or 2+8=10pm GMT. If you live in Central European Time like I do that is 11pm. The second race will be an hour later at midnight CET.

Hope that clears it up 👍 & see you trackside tomorrow.

I had the same trouble with this so here it is:

If you want to join my room tomorrow, you should be ready just before 2pm gmt-8 or 2+8=10pm GMT. If you live in Central European Time like I do that is 11pm. The second race will be an hour later at midnight CET.

Hope that clears it up 👍 & see you trackside tomorrow.

Now we got summertime in central Europe isn't 10pm GMT rather midnight as we now are 2 hours ahead of GMT instead of the normal 1 hour. :confused:

And your second race will then be 1am April 3

Now we got summertime in central Europe isn't 10pm GMT rather midnight as we now are 2 hours ahead of GMT instead of the normal 1 hour.
You're very right Niels, I assumed that GMT would also have summertime but of course it doesn't. My bad :dopey:

So the first race in my lobby will be at midnight CET and the second one at 01AM. Hope to see many of you there tomorrow!

I'm not an expert but, doesn't Pacific Time also have daylight saving? If so, shouldn't the race times read GMT-7 rather than -8 which, pushes the schedule back an extra hour in most countries.

And, would it be easier for everyone if a countdown clock was used in the OP so that rather than negotiating the lines of the meridian and combating the shifting time at every equinox, we have a straight forward 'you have days/hours/minutes until race time'?

For example, could be incorporated?

http://countdown.onlineclock.net/

Yeah, it's really confusing. Jumpaces location is (according to his profile) Portland, OR. They should be on Pacific Daylight Time or PDT (GMT -7) right now. He'll start the first slot on 10am local time (PDT).

So for me, in Hamburg on Central European Summer Time or CEST (GMT +2), this would translate to 7pm, which invalidates my calculation from my first answer.

It's quite confusing to have GMT-8 statet for the first slot. :(

Great ideas indeed and I'll update the GMT to -7, I didn't even consider that, sorry fellas.

EDIT: The link about GMT should work fine as it shows the time for GMT+0 and you can easily subtract 7 hours from it to see when the first race starts.

Jerome

Last edited:
Great ideas indeed and I'll update the GMT to -7, I didn't even consider that, sorry fellas.

EDIT: The link about GMT should work fine as it shows the time for GMT+0 and you can easily subtract 7 hours from it to see when the first race starts.

Jerome

Hi Jerome:

Now I am more confused; you have GMT 8 and GMT 7 in your schedule?

This helps:

GMT Greenwich Mean Time, also London standard time*
LON London Daylight Time* (BST = British Summer Time)
EDT Eastern Daylight Time*
EST Eastern Standard Time
CDT Central Daylight Time*
CST Central Standard Time
MDT Mountain Daylight Time*
MST Mountain Standard Time
PDT Pacific Daylight Time*
PST Pacific Standard Time
AKD Alaska Daylight Time
AKS Alaska Standard Time
HST Hawaii Standard Time (Hawaii does not observe daylight time)
*Daylight Time begins in the US the Second Sunday of March
*Daylight Time ends in the US the Frist Sunday in November
*Daylight Time begins in the UK the Last Sunday of March*Daylight Time ends in the UK the last Sunday in October

So a 10 a.m. PDT start is the same start time for me; see you on track. And 10 a.m. PDT is 6 p.m. BST (British Summer Time)

Hope this clarifies things 👍

Last edited:
I must not have saved the changes cause I know I changed that earlier, o well. But it is GMT - 7 now since we recently set our clocks forward one hour in the States. HTH.

Jerome

I must not have saved the changes cause I know I changed that earlier, o well. But it is GMT - 7 now since we recently set our clocks forward one hour in the States. HTH.

Jerome

But Britain 'sprang forward' one hour last Sunday.

Yeah I think I have it figured out now; so your local time 10 a.m. is the same as mine and the difference with Britain is 8 hours ahead of us (Oregon and British Columbia); or 6 p.m. their time (London, England)

looks like I'll try and make Jerome's room at 1pm EST, and I'll have purchased my M3 at 12pm..!

If I can't make that one, 8pm EST with Small_fryz it is.

Honestly I'm so confused right now! :dopey: I think the best thing for me to do is refresh this thread 5mins before every hour while I sit poised on GT! :lol:

I agree with Fastas 100%. If race stewards were obligated to post up a countdown timer 24hrs before their first lobby, all the confusion would be done away with. Of course after everyone has either competed in or missed their first race the confusion should be over. However I still like the idea of a countdown :D

By the way are race stewards going to record all the races? If they have the means I thought it would be a great idea to post the best of the races up in the results thread. What does eveyone think to that?

Can we just use GMT instead? 💡

Yeah, I honestly don't see the point of using anything but GMT (or UTC as I prefer to call it). People normally know what timezone they are in relative to GMT.

Is spectating allowed, provided the room is not full, after the race has started?

looks like I'll try and make Jerome's room at 1pm EST, and I'll have purchased my M3 at 12pm..!

If I can't make that one, 8pm EST with Small_fryz it is.

I am on EST too and for some reason I thought these were going to be in the morning for me. Guess I'll just keep an eye on this thread!

Honestly I'm so confused right now! :dopey: I think the best thing for me to do is refresh this thread 5mins before every hour while I sit poised on GT! :lol:

I agree with Fastas 100%. If race stewards were obligated to post up a countdown timer 24hrs before their first lobby, all the confusion would be done away with. Of course after everyone has either competed in or missed their first race the confusion should be over. However I still like the idea of a countdown :D

By the way are race stewards going to record all the races? If they have the means I thought it would be a great idea to post the best of the races up in the results thread. What does eveyone think to that?

If you look at the GMT map I think it will help with any 'confusion'. It sounds like this is the first time many of you have dealt with GMT timezones. But I am willing to make a countdown page and I'll have one ready for next month.

Is spectating allowed, provided the room is not full, after the race has started?

Spectating is welcome as long as there is room in the lobby. But spectating isn't fun since you can only view from track cameras and can't follow behind a car to see their driving line 👎

>>>>>>>>>>Just as a note, it's now 8:57am (GMT -8) so my lobby will be open in one hour.<<<<<<<<<<

Jerome

Yes, with rooms running on the hour for the next 7 hours after that.

Edit: With the final race being at 1AM UK Time or 12AM GMT.

10am, 11am (GMT-7) race room number:

1472-6399-8880-6892-8736

Jerome

Last edited:
The OMRS Chat Room password is 'welcome'. Anyone is welcome, but I'd like it to be just for discussing the OMRS.

Jerome

April 2nd, 2011 12PM, 1PM (GMT-7) | Hosted By GTP_Animera

Room Number: 1472-6118-3787-3249-6728

Last edited:
Have to run some errands, but will join in one of the later races. I'm on GMT-7 timezone.

Thanks guys for putting this awesome event together! 👍

Back