GTP_WRS Week 74 : Official Results

• Thread starter Vaxen
  • 83 comments
Whacky week. Congrats all; thanks to Lucas, Kev, and Pekka for the combo and Vaxen for the results. Good wins James, Viper, Corne, Al, and welcome gman and zippycat.

Great lap, Corne. I like a rabbit to chase, but all the way up to div 1 is a bit tricky; great job! Could never balance T1 and T2 reliably enough to connect it to a good T3 for that last tenth under pressure, too tired in my last session; junked too many .1s. Also props to Porsche and Lefty (and Dan!) for that chase.

I think Lefty probably had generally better T1 and T2 line than me, seemingly producing good T2s at will; good luck with the dew issue. I'd seriously consider slinging some "barley popz" Kev's way for the pedals, or, y'know, just because! (Can I haz the G25 shifter? Kidding!)

Won't get a chance to look at replays til late tonight, but looking forward to it.

EDIT: The replay I attached is in fact still attached.

Attachments

• GTP_WRS_Week_74_Replay_GTP_ealirendur_PAL.zip
    208 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Attached is my PAL replay.

Attachments

• AUSnicko9_WRS74.zip
    208.6 KB · Views: 6
Thankz "Ealirendur" I had a great time trying to real you and "orsche" in when youz guyz would roosty off and leave me in the dust :lol: but the best thing to come out of my placing 4th is that I finally hit a D2 rated time and hit 59% of the field :)

Great job to all podium victorz 👍

Congratulations to all podium finishers. I'm glad to see that my T3 was decent after all!

My NTSC replay. Kinda close in a couple of spots, but should be ok.

Attachments

• GTP_AspecBob_WRS_week74.zip
    210.6 KB · Views: 7
Not bad for my first submission. I had another .3 in there but I ran out of time to string it all together in one lap.

Attachments

• Brinomial WRS Week 74 Replay.zip
    209.6 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for the help, guys. Appreciate it.

Let's see if I did this correctly. Here is my NTSC replay:

Attachments

• gtp_gman1647 week 74 replay.zip
    215.7 KB · Views: 6
Thankz for the review Zippy 👍

I tried to figure out which handle is yours and don't want to guss wrong so maybe use your "Signature" to help us to know more about you. :)

GTP_ZippyCat

I re-ran the thing just now and picked up 0.9 in the turns 1-2 complex. Probably could've gotten another 0.2 had I done the penultimate corner as well as I did originally.

2---1'06.952---GTP_EDK
user118395pic1573412914.gif

4---1'07.171---GTP_LeftyWright

5---1'07.320---GTP_AspecBob

9---1'07.833---GTP_pilmat

2---1'07.649---GTP_GDS

My replay

Attachments

• GTP_WRS_Week_74_Replay_GTP_vinal_monkey_PAL.zip
    211.1 KB · Views: 6
I need to work on my T3s, always let me down. Ah well.

T3 is normally where your hands start to clam up, you start tightening up because you see your a tenth ahead of your ghost on the split, and I know what you mean, I have thrown away thousands of laps in the last sector of a lap knowing I could be potentially on for a great lap. But I guess everyone is in the same boat, and how you deal with it is the deciding factor.

On the combo's I tend to work on one sector at a time, try to figure out the best line, best gears, best revs, the whole shabbang before actually trying to put it all together. It certainly helps when I'm on a good lap because I recall exactly what I did when I was working on my sectors and try to put the remaining sectors together. It may take a few times to get right, but when it does it reaps big rewards.

What other approaches do people take towards their WRS laps?

7---1'07.498---GTP_Brinomial

1---1'09.023---GTP_gman1647

3---1'11.308---GTP_ZippyCat

Off to the PAL versions now.

In reply to Twissy. I usually tool around the track a few laps to get to know the track, then make a couple of serious runs to set a benchmark. Once I have a decent lap in, I chase my ghost around the track. If I stay ahead the whole lap, I bank it and start chasing the new ghost. If fall behind the ghost at any time during the lap, I back out and start a new lap, unless I know I can catch him in an area I know I was slow in. In this manner, I usually start having good first and second sectors, and eventually get better and better ending sectors. A lot of the times I end up way ahead after sector two, but because this method doesn't allow a lot of track time on the last sectors, my ghost will catch and pass me befor the start/finish line. This works well when I have lots of time to spend during the week, but is not so good the weeks I have little time to spend.

Last edited:
Congrats to the other winners and podium finishers of this week.👍

Here's my replay

Attachments

• GTP_viper84 WRS week 74 PAL.zip
    208.1 KB · Views: 7
What other approaches do people take towards their WRS laps?

Similar approach to you mate... I build up each sector one corner at a time. I don't have a mathematical approach to this though... Dan Holland used to pinpoint exact braking points, apex speeds, throttle modulation etc. I don't do that, which is something that may limit my overall performance/improvement. I drive by the seat of my pants. For me its a more intuitive approach and I let my subconscious do the maths bit. Once I feel like I have the car on the limit, I'll move on to the next corner until its almost running on auto-pilot through a sequence and gradually sew the lap together. That takes a varying amount of time depending on the combo. When the rhythm kicks in, then I'll just start running extended sessions of up to about 30 laps to try and sew a solid lap together. Once I reach a time within a few tenths of my theoretical best (if I can get there ;)) I usually run 1 lap at a time, restarting if I make a mistake... so most of my submitted WRS laps are lap 1.

If fall behind the ghost at any time during the lap, I back out and start a new lap, unless I know I can catch him in an area I know I was slow in.

Wouldn't that be wasting a lap and a half with every restart, given the need to get the tires up to temperature? GT5's tire model is far from complete but it's pretty clear to me the car's going to be slow while the tire indicators are showing dark blue.

If I've muffed a lap in a non-contact way I'll see it through and try to do better the next time around. Only time I restart is if I get a next-lap-invalidated penalty for contact or a corner-cut on anything other than a warm-up lap.

Wouldn't that be wasting a lap and a half with every restart, given the need to get the tires up to temperature? GT5's tire model is far from complete but it's pretty clear to me the car's going to be slow while the tire indicators are showing dark blue.

If I've muffed a lap in a non-contact way I'll see it through and try to do better the next time around. Only time I restart is if I get a next-lap-invalidated penalty for contact or a corner-cut on anything other than a warm-up lap.

I have not seen where warm tires are any faster than cold tires. 99% of my submitted laps are lap #1. In most cases, I actually find I am faster on lap 1 than any of the next laps. If there is a very short run up to the start finish line and I can't get up to speed, I'll run a slow warm up lap so I can be at speed when I cross the starting line.

There are a lot of things said about this being a sim, but it is no more than a game in my mind and the only thing it really simulates is the appearance of the cars.

Do this in real life: Raise the rear of your car, and lower the front. Your car will get loose. Do it in GT5 and it will tighten your car. This is especially true in on line. It is opposite than it is in real life. How can that be classified as a Sim? So too it may very well be with the tires. In real life, a warmer tire is stickier, but do we know that in GT5 that it is the same or opposite? I know what works for me, and cooler tires seem to work.

I have not seen where warm tires are any faster than cold tires. 99% of my submitted laps are lap #1. In most cases, I actually find I am faster on lap 1 than any of the next laps. If there is a very short run up to the start finish line and I can't get up to speed, I'll run a slow warm up lap so I can be at speed when I cross the starting line.

There are a lot of things said about this being a sim, but it is no more than a game in my mind and the only thing it really simulates is the appearance of the cars.

Do this in real life: Raise the rear of your car, and lower the front. Your car will get loose. Do it in GT5 and it will tighten your car. This is especially true in on line. It is opposite than it is in real life. How can that be classified as a Sim? So too it may very well be with the tires. In real life, a warmer tire is stickier, but do we know that in GT5 that it is the same or opposite? I know what works for me, and cooler tires seem to work.

While I agree with the comments on warm tires vs. cold when tire wear and fuel consumption are turned off, that does change when they are on. Cold tires are a fact in the first lap of an online race.

The points as to whether or not it's a sim - I'm not sure any simulator will ever be 100% accurate. But to say the only thing that's real is the way the car looks is a gross exaggeration.

I now have 24 total hours of real life, on track, mostly wheel to wheel racing experience. I never would have gotten out on the track without my experience on GT5. And I never would have had the confidence or success that I've had without that same experience. Does it work exactly the same in real life as it does no GT5? No, absolutely not. Is it pretty darn close? Absolutely.

If that wasn't the case, how would GTAcademy Winners end up competing in the 24 Hours of Le Mans?

A simulator is the imitation of the operation of a real-world process or system over time. A game is a form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength or luck.

Can't people just accept that GT5 is both? The definition of simulator doesn't specify that the model needs to be perfect. The software cost an entire $40 and that works out to what for me: $0.001/hour... :lol: Get over it.

IMO, if you want to get on the pulpit and argue about GT5 being a simulation or a game then go visit the Gran Turismo 5 forums and you'll find plenty of people happy to read about it and argue about it.

9---1'07.833---GTP_pilmat

:cheers:

I have to learn how to do this :) Is there a "how to" guide for reviewing or is it as simple as unzip, copy to PS3 and view (looking for wheels off and wall contact, and the right tires and aids)?

A simulator is the imitation of the operation of a real-world process or system over time. A game is a form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength or luck.

Can't people just accept that GT5 is both? The definition of simulator doesn't specify that the model needs to be perfect. The software cost an entire $40 and that works out to what for me: $0.001/hour... :lol: Get over it.

IMO, if you want to get on the pulpit and argue about GT5 being a simulation or a game then go visit the Gran Turismo 5 forums and you'll find plenty of people happy to read about it and argue about it.

OK guys, I really didn't want to get into the whole debate thing. Let me just say this and then maybe we can agree to disagree on the subject. While I appreciate the fact that GT5 gave Kevin the nerve to try real racing, and the fact that you can make changes to your car setup and it will in fact make the car behave differently, I have spent some time around the track myself and am just saying the game has a long way to go to be called a "sim" in my book. There are "sims" out there that replicate real world situations a lot better than GT5 does. GT5 is fun. I love the thing. It only cost me 49 U.S. dollars to play. Not including the cost of the system of course. Real "sims" cost thousands, even tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars.

In real racing, there are four corners to a car. Each corner plays a vital roll in how a car will behave in any situation. Coming out of a left hander is a lot differnt than coming out of a right hander. Bias (left/right), especially on an oval is critical to get right. GT5 looks only front rear. GT5 doesn't look at tire pressures.

Now, that being said, you still have to know how the game functions in different situations and know how to make the adjustments both in setup and driving technique to get the most out of it. If that's a sim in your book, great, I'll buy that.

The thing about because guys are driving real race cars by winning contests sponsored through the game, well I could put on a contest using Call of Duty Modern Warfare where the winner becomes an actual mercenary for a third world country. That doesn't make Call to Duty any closer to being a real world simulation of being in a real battle situation.

That's all I have to say on the subject. Now I am going to go have some fun. Either driving the wheels off that YellowHat, or killing a bunch of Rusians in COD MW3. Maybe I'll do both.

But first:

2---1'06.556---GTP_aussienicko

1---1'06.767---GTP_Corne

2---1'06.886---GTP_ealirendur

8---1'07.676---GTP_Coupe

2---1'09.790---GTP_zapphoid

Sorry for the delay. Here's my replay.

Attachments

• GTP_orsche WRS Week 74 NTSC.zip
    209.3 KB · Views: 6
Me too, sorry for the delay.

Al

Attachments

• GTP_Allibubba99 week 74 replay.zip
    209.9 KB · Views: 7
OK guys, I really didn't want to get into the whole debate thing. Let me just say this and then maybe we can agree to disagree on the subject. While I appreciate the fact that GT5 gave Kevin the nerve to try real racing,

I would not say that it gave me the nerve, I was still pretty anxious my first time on track.

But it gave me the experience and confidence to know what to do, and to do it reasonably well, if you consider the amount of on track experience I had before jumping the race car was ZERO. Those were things like managing braking points, turn in, apexes, car control (correcting slides, etc.), knowing how to behave in traffic, and focusing over a long time frame.

Back