[GUIDE] Make the most of the GT5 Camera v2.1

• Thread starter gtsomething
  • 209 comments
excellent thread... even though im great at taking photos IRL, i haven't been able to achieve the exact photos ive wanted in GT5, but this tutorial has solved all my issues. Thanks man 👍

Great, great, great write up man. You definitely helped me on the AE lock. Had no clue how to use it correctly. Can't wait to see more guides!

[...]

*Still lots of editing to do*
Possible Updates
"How to make images look Real"
"Editing - Yes or No?"

[...]

Yes and yes, please. And thanks for the tutorial.

I'm not a pro on photography, but I've noticed that (maybe it's just my impression) the more reflections a car produce, the more real the image looks. So, especially if a car is placed among lots of things, like buildings, but the position of the camera makes the car not to reflect anything, the photo will look "off".

[EDIT]

I wrote the comment above without even reading the first post entirely, which I've just done. I must say that it's really amazing. Everything you say is proved by your examples. I like especially the lightning and focusing sections. We can see that your photos look more real.

Last edited:
Amazing Job! Everything is perfectly explained. I would know to, i'm talking videography in college right now, same principles apply.👍

Wow this will really help all of us with our photo albums! Thanks for the write up gtsomething 👍

GTSomething, loved your guide and you gallery as well...once I have the game in my hands, I will use the tips for sure.
Thanks a lot

I have a question...what do you need in real life to obtain that "tilt-effect"? I really loved both video examples you attached...

I have a question...what do you need in real life to obtain that "tilt-effect"? I really loved both video examples you attached...

You would need a (D)SLR camera, or a camera with a interchangeable lens. Then you would need a tilt-shift lens, they can shift in a certain direction, and or tilt in a certain direction, hence the term tilt-shift. They're fairly expensive, but they give off a "miniature" effect like no other.

For pictures though (Not 100% sure about video, although I bet there would be something for it) you can apply a tilt-shift look using image editing programs such as photoshop. It's quite fun to play around with fake tilt shifts actually. :)

Progress Update: I can probably throw in the "editing" section soon, but as for the "real life" section, I'm planning on doing something bigger, so I might not have time to do that until the weekend. I'm also planning on splitting the guide into Basic and Advanced, all the "basic" stuff is whats already in the guide, because as MidianGTX said, sometimes you have to do the opposite of the norm for photos, thats where the advanced comes from.

Last edited:

If you just want the miniature effect it's better to use photoshop. Tilt-Shift lenses are very expensive just for that purpose. 4x5 Film cameras can also Tilt and Shift.

If you want to make something on the cheap for a (D)SLR then check out the Plungercam.

Pan 3 makes this thing a dream for photographers. Its basically having a rig set up on the car without the annoying editing and money to build a rig. Great post btw, very well informative! Knew you had to be a photographer some way or another.

I love it! learned something new today. :cheers:
And thanks to this helpful thread GT community will be creating tons of amazing GT images every day! 👍

GTSomething,

I was so happy when I saw the title with "v1.2"
Very interesting section on editing, it shows me how much I still have to learn. Just a month ago, I started to get into amateur photography. I like taking pictures of sunsets, nothing spectacular to share yet, but in due time.

Although, your original post here have inspired me to do some editing and polish those photoshop skills.

The following is what I have worked on. This photo is not from GT5, neither am I original photographer. I just found the picture online and wanted to share my editing.

Any constructive criticism would be much appreciated.

Original Photo
GTR_Original.jpg

Edited Photo (Look Familiar?)
GTR.jpg

By the way, do you know any good photography forums?

Last edited:
That looks brilliant! Hmm..

Emphasized the red, singled out the red and b&w'd everything else, with some added sharpness? Either way, that's a really good edit, well done. 👍

Edit: As for photography forums, theres lots of them everywhere, I don't go to any big ones myself. The only forum I go to for photography is a local car forum, with a photography section lol; and I guess Flickr serves as a... ...not a forum, but a place of discussion? Some groups on Flickr like the "Canon DSLR User Group" have people asking questions and opinions all the time, and most users there are fairly serious. Other groups on the other hand, are just simply full of trolls... lol

Last edited:
Great guide! Before, i would just mess with the settings "trail & error" style. Now i know exactly what everything does.

wow thanks but I still cant manage to get rolling shots, each time I do pictures it's like the car was stopped (I do pictures from the replay films), what am i doing wrong?

thanks in advance

wow thanks but I still cant manage to get rolling shots, each time I do pictures it's like the car was stopped (I do pictures from the replay films), what am i doing wrong?

thanks in advance

You should re-read the guide more thoroughly. *Points at shutter speed section in particular*. For the best rolling shots, you want the slowest possible shutter speed (in replay mode) of 1/60.

Back