hot rods, muscle cars, customs...

• Thread starter Cano
  • 6,009 comments
I think that Larson will play the spoiler this year. I think that the truck could at least run a 6.50 on this drag week. I'll note the fact that Larson had a 180 mph eighth mile trap speed on the 6.99 pass. He will probably start turning up the boost now that he made back to back 6.70s today.

Aaaaand Larson is done. So now, Lutz or Cline. I was pretty damn bummed today. Still, he could put on a show.

I caught about a half hour of the live feed today right around when the shut it down for 15 minutes to clean the track up before opening the lanes to everything...what happened to Larson? I haven't checked Hot Rod's site yet tonight.

He got stuck in Topeka with a thunderstorm and electrical gremlins and arrived about one hour before lane closing, but couldn't get the truck prepped in time to make a pass, so he took a 20 second timeslip that effectively puts him out of competition.

Someone told me the trans brake didn't hold and it wasn't running right after he staged and when he launched it didn't put any power down. I've heard that, your story and that the throttle cable broke. I did hear he got stuck in the storm but I didn't know how bad the electrical was; only that he was running off a generator.

But yeah a 20 second time slip pretty much screws you. Such a shame, I was hoping to see him and Lutz battle it out until the very end. But hell, for running the truclk for the first few times ever, I think they did alright. That's a lot of stress. Hopefully it'll run better next year.

Give me a few years and I hope to be out there running in the daily driver class :lol:

Maybe I should root for Lutz since both guys I rooted for (Bailey and Larson) are pretty much done for. If my black cloud continues, Lutz could be done which would allow Cline to win it all.

I'm saying this especially since Lutz is battling a wounded engine, and I have a hunch that his head will do what Tom's head (and block) did. They did repair it, but I can't see it lasting long if he keeps going for six second passes.

Last edited:
I'm rooting for the guy in the 7-second 70 Monte Carlo. That thing is incredibly absurd.

Also, @Slash you seen that aussie Capri with a N/A Cleveland ripping off mid-10s? That's brrrrrutal for an N/A small block!

The Daily Driver class is the best class, such a freak show.
Exactly, there is some really neat stuff that goes on in that class, and it doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to win so long as you can run mid 11s consistently, which isn't too hard with certain combinations.

That Starsky and Hutch Torino is pretty cool, didn' think I'd see that. 11.9's-12.1's with full weight and a 514 big block Ford.

Maybe I should root for Lutz since both guys I rooted for (Bailey and Larson) are pretty much done for. If my black cloud continues, Lutz could be done which would allow Cline to win it all.

I'm saying this especially since Lutz is battling a wounded engine, and I have a hunch that his head will do what Tom's head (and block) did. They did repair it, but I can't see it lasting long if he keeps going for six second passes.
I'm rooting for Lutz now myself, but I'm not sure how long that motor is going to last. I'm pretty sure he's going to send that engine to it's final destination if he keeps this up. Crazy week so far.

I'm rooting for the guy in the 7-second 70 Monte Carlo. That thing is incredibly absurd.

Oh yes it is, and the color is one of my favorites. I haven't seen him back since day 2 but I didn't watch a bunch of it yesterday.

Also, @Slash you seen that aussie Capri with a N/A Cleveland ripping off mid-10s? That's brrrrrutal for an N/A small block!

No I haven't. Is there any videos of it?? Those Clevelands can run!

Here's the live feed for day 4. 45 minutes in at the time of posting this.

@Cano

I just saw the Capri with the 351 Cleveland 4V, he said there's not much done to it other than a mild roller cam, headers, intake/carb and a few other small things. It's still running points ignition. Turbo 350 and a 9" with 4.30s out back and he's running 10s...

Last edited:
No I haven't. Is there any videos of it?? Those Clevelands can run!

I hope you were watching the live stream because Finnegan just interviewed the owners 5 minutes ago. Stroker 408 Cleve with a roller and a TH350 behind :lol:

EDIT: Oh, treed :lol:

I figured it was stroked, I have it playing in the background but somewhat missed it. Internets being dumb right now, did they finishing drying the track yet?

Naw, raining again ):
Dammit. Hope it clears up, I want to see Lutz run again.

They are talking about calling the day if it doesn't stop...

EDIT:

02045520000_1.jpg

Last edited:
Did you guys see the video with Larry? He just said that he is going to go after the street car world record with the S-10!
Yup, he's aiming for 6.30s. He said that truck has it, the 6.7 they ran was not even tapping into it yet.

EDIT:

Racing begins again after drying the track.

Steve just ran a 10.34 with that red 351C powered Capri just moments ago.

EDIT: Now 10.04 @135mph

Last edited:
EDIT: Now 10.04 @135mph

Yes I saw that. Absolutely insane. How much an that thing weigh? That thing is waaaaaaaaaay toooooo fast for such a basic Cleve. Either the car is featherlight or he's full of it and the engine is far more radical than he wants to admit.

Yes I saw that. Absolutely insane. How much an that thing weigh? That thing is waaaaaaaaaay toooooo fast for such a basic Cleve. Either the car is featherlight or he's full of it and the engine is far more radical than he wants to admit.
The car must be really light. I can see that engine making north of 550 horse though, especially if he is using closed chambered 4V heads which are as good as most aluminum aftermarket heads being that you can stuff a golf ball through the intake port. Pair that with a high lift roller cam, 408 kit and your basic bolt ons (especially with that massive Holley and tunnel ram setup) and I see a recipe for high power and a fast car.

So it's done. Finally Lutz could win this, and Cline was pretty close. And Larson 6.16... a shame we didn't really see 5 secs out of that thing, but in one year there is absolutely no doubt we will.

I bet you that the first thing Larry will do is redo the cage to get a better cert for it. It would have been a 5 second pass if he didn't pull the chutes early.

Dailey driver hero: Red Belair
Emotional mad top dog : Valiant
Failed to be a consistent engineer and only make it to the finals because of other peoples sportsmanship (equivalent of miss photogenic ):
Black chevelle.
The white valiant : Ghost in the machine

Last edited:
Back