Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,226 comments
Oh those kind of GT2 race cars. :lol: Well I did buy a 2013 SRT Viper recently and I am thinking about painting it GTS blue pearl and giving it white stripes like the launch edition Viper, but unfortunately I cannot rip textures from any PS1 games due to reasons the AUP does not permit me to explain, but I can easily do PS2 and some PC games. ;)

Another project I have in mind is taking textures of this Mini Cooper from GT Concept:
mini_cooper_s_rally_02.jpg

and putting them on this one. :dopey:
8500852910_9fb0033383_z.jpg

Yes I am well aware this is not the same Mini Cooper, I am just wanting to give this new Mini an old twist. :sly: If I find another 2001 Mini Cooper soon, I may do the same for it too! :dopey:

Last edited:
I can see the misunderstanding now, but yeah!

Hmm. That's actually a nice idea- just don't leave the roof out! :lol:

I wasn't sure if you meant GT2 class race cars or race cars from the game GT2. :lol:

If I can get that on the roof, I will, although I dread trying to paint it. :scared: The vinyl's will be easy. I wonder if I can do the older one from GT2 with the GT Concept versions graphics. ;)

I should have been clearer :indiff:

And I dread painting anything even though I have had many chances to practice.

And it's probably possible, a crazy question to ask my seemingly-all-knowing media Gaming teacher :dopey:

I'm now on the hunt for some tampo paper and a 1:64 F1 car without livery to make a Formula GT. This thread is contagious and we've all caught the bug now :crazy:

Reason I dread painting the roof is because I have a Morris Mini in progress right now and trying to paint the roof white without painting the rest of the car has proven to be a major pain in the fanny for me, but luckily my dad has experience in things like this since he used to do it on real cars. ;) As for that mounted on the top, I think I know one that may work. ;)

The old Mini Cooper they had in GT2 under "Special" at the Mini and MG dealership is not fresh in my memory right now, I will have to look at it. ;) Hopefully I can figure out how to extract PS1 graphics soon. :dopey:

It's good to have experienced people on hand. My dad is okay with a brush and a fence, but small models aren't his forte. He does have a friend quite high up in a car wrapping company who did the 2012 Fiesta WRC cars for M-sport, but I doubt they do many 1:64 cars :indiff:

My dad used to restore old cars so it is no wonder he knows so much. I may get him to help me with the stripes on the Viper. This is what I am going for:
2013-SRT-Viper-Launch-Edition-on-track.jpg

Shouldn't be too bad for him.

Have you tried bleed-free tape (I haven't personally and am wondering if anyone else has for spray painting cars) to paint the stripes? It'll stop seepage and give a smooth edge. Unless someone proves me wrong.

No I haven't. I recall somebody telling me on here about a good kind of tape that can be used for painting. Oh well I am a forum dweller, I can try finding it again. ;) I think it is time I do try something other than masking tape for once.

Last edited:
There is nothing in the original post about any kind of special tape.
Oh sorry. I remember someone was working on a Caterham and had issues with the paint bleeding underneath the tape early on. I'm going to see if any of the posts about the car mention tape, so don't check yourself. I'll edit this post with what I find.

EDIT: Can't find anything on the tape, but I bought a roll of Scotch Blue Painter's tape though I have yet to try it.

Another option is to go to a Michaels craft store and find their model car section. They have Testors hobby masking tape that comes in 1/16", 1/8", and 1/4" sizes, but make sure the tape is fully laid down on the work, otherwise the paint will bleed underneath. So basically, use a finger nail to fully lay down the tape.

Last edited:
I know AOS- mentioned something to me on here once, I'll see what he said as well. Anyway, thanks for the info! :) I think I know what your talking about, I think I went in there last summer. I will have to try it. ;)

Last edited:
Tamiya Masking Tape. The masking job Jason did over the bumpy grills on the Caterham was bound to get bleeding. Aerosol can produce a heavy spray not well suitable for small things like toy cars... that is if you want to retain a lot of fine details. Having an airbrush would prove to provide some lenience in that situation.

Tamiya products are too awesome. :D

Right now I'm working on a Matchbox Honda Ridgeline that should be done by the end of the night.

I am working on multiple projects right now. Hopefully I should have a bunch to post here soon. ;)
Probably got you guys beat. :lol:

- Hard top Miata
- Danny George Miata w/Diorama
- Datsun 620 w/Skyline front
- Cougar wheel swap & detail
- EF Civic for my friend, modified to look like his old car
- and too many wheel swaps to count

Guys. Please don't make me photograph two large boxes full of disassembled cars that have a future. :sly:

All that plus three planes, 2 muscle machines (yes those muscle machines you saw previously), a land rover, a copo corvette, and a short card.

Guys. Please don't make me photograph two large boxes full of disassembled cars that have a future. :sly:
How large? 10 inches? 10 inches is large when compared to a HW car. :P

Joking obviously, hence the tongue smiley.

Inches? Well... one of the boxes is big enough to store more than nine 1:18 cars, and the other, twelve. You can do the math. :P Granted, both of them aren't completely filled up, but given that I needed boxes that large, the number is substantial. I even have spreadsheets to keep track of them.

And I got white gloss enamel... not for a car though. Yeah.

Surfin+School+Bus+%2528wheelswap%2529.jpg

%5BWS%5D+Surfin+School+Bus_1.jpg

%5BWS%5D+Surfin+School+Bus_3.jpg

%5BWS%5D+Surfin+School+Bus_2.jpg

%5BWS%5D+Surfin+School+Bus_4.jpg

Didn't go with bling wheels this time. Thought it looked okay anyway. The noisiness of the graffiti does enough I don't need flashy wheels to stand out.

Probably got you guys beat. :lol:

- Hard top Miata
- Danny George Miata w/Diorama
- Datsun 620 w/Skyline front
- Cougar wheel swap & detail
- EF Civic for my friend, modified to look like his old car
- and too many wheel swaps to count
View attachment 112001

Half of these will have to wait until PA gets proper painting weather.

All that plus three planes, 2 muscle machines (yes those muscle machines you saw previously), a land rover, a copo corvette, and a short card.

Pffft, noobz. Two boxes, lol. Come on, Andy.

No. Much more than that. I don't know the exact number at all, but it's way more than 200.
201? :P

I'm also now looking at Tamiya products. This thread really should come with a warning (NSFW- Not Safe For Wallet)

Back