Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,226 comments

Dude, WAY more than that. Only in the last year I picked up so many repeats off the pegs to swap tires to them that I don't even know where to start. I've got two 71 Mach 1 Stang bodies sitting in front of me right now receiving their dose of acetone to get them rid of ugly tampos.

Tamiya Masking Tape. The masking job Jason did over the bumpy grills on the Caterham was bound to get bleeding. Aerosol can produce a heavy spray not well suitable for small things like toy cars... that is if you want to retain a lot of fine details. Having an airbrush would prove to provide some lenience in that situation.
I will keep a look out for that. ;) Thanks for the info! :)👍
Probably got you guys beat. :lol:

- Hard top Miata
- Danny George Miata w/Diorama
- Datsun 620 w/Skyline front
- Cougar wheel swap & detail
- EF Civic for my friend, modified to look like his old car
- and too many wheel swaps to count
Bring it on! :lol:

Unless you can mention each and every one of the wheels swaps, it doesn't count. :lol:

The ones I have to work on are:

-That old, beat up GMC Motorhome I posted earlier.

-Another GMC Motorhome I haven't mentioned yet until now.

-A Morris Mini project I started a while back.

-My "Crazy Idea"

-2013 SRT Viper GTS (As posted here)

-Flintmobile for AOS-'s little contest.

-Restoring my Lamborghini Countach (European issue).

-56 Chevy. Been primared for quite some time but not finished.

-Hamada.

-Catapult.

And possibly more.....

And those are just the ones that I am currently working on right now. I have many other ideas I plan to pursue soon, including one I have been planning on for a long time, the ex Corgi Ford Sierra. (My personal favorite)
Haha, wat.

Ok, Ill say they might be closer to 300 than to 200. I hope.
Still planning on doing an "Unsuspecting Van"? :lol:

I got my Ridgeline finished. All I had planned was a detail job.
IMG_20140205_191746_122-1.jpg
IMG_20140205_203642_649-1.jpg

I've got just 3 projects.

Ferrari F12Berlinetta with a retro-inspired paint job
"Wrecked" Challenger (make it look rusted and beat up)
Restoring my E-Type

Well got that cut I made on the Hamada fixed. Now I can finally primer it and paint it. As for the graphics, I am setting it aside until I get the PC version of Test Drive because I can't seem to get the textures from the PS2 version unfortunately. So I am just going to wait until I get the PC version so I can get the graphics more easily.

Finally got the Flintmobile apart and it wasn't easy. :scared: Even with the rivets completely drilled off, it was still very hard to get the body off. I accidently split the body in two in the process but luckily it can be easily fixed and is barely noticeable when reassembled. Let that serve as a warning to anyone who plans on customizing a Flintmobile.

Got the wheels off and finished getting the rest of the original paint off my GMC Motorhome. Now I just need to primer it, paint it as well as give it a nice new set of wheels and design the graphics for it. Need to get some paint and paint over the base since it is all messed up. Wanting this thing to look new again.

When I made my Annihilator Replica, I didn't extract graphics. I took a photo of my TV and traced it in Adobe Illustrator. While it's quite a bit of work to do that (on top of learning a graphic software), it's either that or dealing with finding a way to use low-res textures.

Just a thought.

When I made my Annihilator Replica, I didn't extract graphics. I took a photo of my TV and traced it in Adobe Illustrator. While it's quite a bit of work to do that (on top of learning a graphic software), it's either that or dealing with finding a way to use low-res textures.

Just a thought.
Thanks for the info! 👍 I have never heard of Adobe Illustrator before to be honest. I highly prefer texture rips since it is so much faster and easier to work with. The program I use can extract textures in whatever picture format I want and all I have to do is size them down and I am finished! I will keep what you said in mind though. ;) Seems like I got a good shot of the hood on the Hamada just recently that may work.

Now to be clear I am not getting the game on PC just to get the Hamada's graphics, there are many other cars I plan on doing from that game, including this one.

Last edited:
Daft Punk can go back to make average funk as far as I'm concerned. That Camaro needs to go lower for those modern wheels to fit.
"Mediocre funk"

Oh Cano, you so silly. (I think the only real bad choices made were letting Pharell Williams anywhere near Random Access Memories)

I never said mediocre funk, I said average funk. I'll go on with this in the Daft Punk thread so we don't derail this one.

One person doesn't like Daft Punk. The other does. Why don't the both of you just stop here on forth.

Well my faith and confidence has been renewed! :D Finally got Test Drive and got it to work on my crappy PC and my new texture extracting program works like a dream with it! :D

I now have the textures for the Hamada finally!
33b9cbde.jpg

It seems it extracts the whole body as one texture unlike other games that tend to do them separately. Now all I have to do crop away what I don't need, separate each texture as one separate image, do a a little touching up and size it down. With that being said, expect ALOT more projects coming soon. :mischievous:

Last edited:
It seems it extracts the whole body as one texture unlike other games that tend to do them separately. Now all I have to do crop away what I don't need and size it down. With that being said, expect ALOT more projects coming soon. :mischievous:
Don't think it's going to be that easy. ;)

What makes you say that? :confused:

EDIT: Well I did forget to mention I will have to separate them as separate images as well touch up the side graphics, both of which I can easily do with Gimp. Guess I got a little too excited when posting it. :lol:

Last edited:
You're really asuming those decals are even on size with a 1/64 scale car?

You're in for a lot of surprises.

Obviously not the way they are now, but I am confident I can tweak them and get them sized down to a good size that will fit. I don't expect every detail to be perfect, but I will try my best. ;)

Last edited:
As long as you are measuring the car's body and using the ruler in gimp, you'll be fine. you may have to size up actually.

And you two oughta help the guy instead of taunting him.

Any idea where I can find a original wheel for this Camaro?
They don't do the wheels the same as they are on that Camaro anymore, so it'll be hard finding one. You might be better off leaving it as is because it might be worth more the way it is now rather than with a new wheel.

As long as you are measuring the car's body and using the ruler in gimp, you'll be fine. you may have to size up actually.
That is precisely what I had in mind. ;) Gimp uses a weird kind of ruler I have never seen before and I need to figure out how to change it to one I can understand more easily. Need to measure the Supra itself and see what needs to be done just like I did with the "Unsuspecting Van" that way I will know what size I need to change it too. Once again, thanks for the info! 👍

And you two oughta help the guy instead of taunting him.
Yes I agree.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a different note, one thing that has been bugging me for days is this.

The front bumper on the Hamada is yellow as you can see:
2013-02-21-132101_zps1cd38409.jpg

Edit: Reuploaded since I no longer need Photobucket.

I wonder how I could pull that off with this:
image.jpg

I am not certain if yellow decal paper will go on it or not. Should I try it or just paint it a matching color yellow? (If I can even find one) Car is primed but I am just stuck on this for now and not sure what to do.

Last edited:
"Mediocre funk"

Oh Cano, you so silly. (I think the only real bad choices made were letting Pharell Williams anywhere near Random Access Memories)

Funny, I know this is not the topic, but I like Daft Punk too. And for the record, the song posted here is not Daft Punk.

Now working on a detail job on a Silverado that has fail written all over it more than the I Should be Admin thread. :crazy:

Back