~Japanese Auto Celebration Shootout~

• Thread starter ryangt
  • 1,220 comments
I kinda forgot to put my driver's choice cars yesterday. I hope it's not too late now. I got the majority of car reviews done - just two left now. You may view them below. I'm sorry if I sound harsh on certain cars but I feel that being truly honest is the way to go. No need to sugar coat something if I don't like it. Hope you understand.

Reviews
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6909138#post6909138

My Picks
1) VTIROJ - I think my review speaks for itself
2) CSLACR - Feels super close to my LFA and I find mine to best (I tuned it, So it's what I look for in a car)

The sad panda ate them...
PandaUnethical.gif

My Picks
1) VTIROJ - I think my review speaks for itself

Thank you! :D

Well, that was an unexpectedly good review of a car which I didn't really think would impress. Glad you enjoyed it. :) Nice way to end a day, to read a nice bit of feedback like that. I'll respond to it properly once I wake up, but it was able to stick it to Krenkme's LFA, I'm happy with that.

Well, that was an unexpectedly good review of a car which I didn't really think would impress. Glad you enjoyed it. :) Nice way to end a day, to read a nice bit of feedback like that. I'll respond to it properly once I wake up, but it was able to stick it to Krenkme's LFA, I'm happy with that.

It narrowly lost my #2 Driver's Pick too..I just couldn't give it simply due to the slightly slow times posted. For my picks the cars had to be both competitive and fun to drive. While your car excelled in the "Fun to drive" category it wasn't as impressive in the area of POWAHHHH.

@VTiRoj - No, Thank YOU for making such a fun car.

I'll finish off the last 2 reviews a bit later.

11) Motor City Hami - Young and Unrefined LFA
Tsukuba: 56.434
Suzuka: 2:06.726

Feedback: The quickest of the [Fat] LFAs - Congratulations on that front. Car is pretty decent to drive with meaning there aren't any apparent nasty suspension faults or things of that nature. The brakes however are a point of MAJOR concern. The amount of brake-dive the car experiences under hard braking is simply stupid. Both on Tsukuba and Suzuka brake dive was a major issue for me as I had to over-correct and be veeery careful as to how I got off the brake pedal [Or Stick in my case]. Having to spend all that time worrying about brakes had it's influence as the times posted are nowhere near what I would call quick. Another point of worry in the tune is the amount of Camber used. I understand why perhaps you used so much, but in a "real world" situation tire scrub would be quite a bit more than a car with normal levels of camber. The poor braking performance could also be in part due to the high camber as it tends to have that effect.

Thanks for the feedback, but why were you on the brakes so much? Have some balls and drive it down in there. :)

As for camber in the real world, my race Miata has 3.2 front (would like 3.5 front but just can't get that much under the rules) and 2.8 rear. Not sure you're speaking with much real world knowledge to call it out as excessive and not sure if it's applicable to describe what could be wrong with a GT5 tune? The dive that you describe could be a product of the softer front springs/dampers that I used. Was chasing mid corner speed with those settings and it sounds like that didn't agree with your corner entry driving style?

Again, thanks for driving and thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the feedback, but why were you on the brakes so much? Have some balls and drive it down in there. :)

As for camber in the real world, my race Miata has 3.2 front (would like 3.5 front but just can't get that much under the rules) and 2.8 rear. Not sure you're speaking with much real world knowledge to call it out as excessive and not sure if it's applicable to describe what could be wrong with a GT5 tune? The dive that you describe could be a product of the softer front springs/dampers that I used. Was chasing mid corner speed with those settings and it sounds like that didn't agree with your corner entry driving style?

Again, thanks for driving and thanks for the feedback.

I probably shouldn't have used "Real World" in the way I did. I simply meant outside of the shootout, for racing within GT5. I do have tunes with high-camber as well, though I use it sparingly (An example would be A Countach on SH or any sort of Elise on Sports or less)

I probably shouldn't have used "Real World" in the way I did. I simply meant outside of the shootout, for racing within GT5. I do have tunes with high-camber as well, though I use it sparingly (An example would be A Countach on SH or any sort of Elise on Sports or less)

I have been testing around camber lately and am finding more grip in the higher numbers. The sweet spot has been around 2.8. I notice other try to keep camber around 1.0. I have tried that, but with less success. I only use numbers that low on the rear of FF cars trying to get them to rotate more.

I can only respond to that with :P...:grumpy:

Thank you for all the testers and tuners for joining my first shootout i will be taking the results (even though nomis seems to have done it already) and coming up with winners, look for them tonight. winners will then get to choose their prize cars.
And thankYOU for running it!! A great comp, well done.

I've attached the spreadsheet, in case it makes adding up the results easier for you.

I don't. :P I say that since he did test all (I think) of the 490PP and 520PP, that those completed categories be counted, only the incomplete ones to be left out.
Oh, I can only find a few results for jollygreen in his linked post. Are there more results hiding somewhere else?

Attachments

• Japanese shootout graphs.zip
    12.2 KB · Views: 13
idk where his are i have not seen him update them in a while so i am going to have to discard them because they are not complete and would squ results. Also thanks Nomis for this.. that spread sheet just saved me a lot of time

ok i have everything figured out i just need luv2drive to get his rj 520 time up so i can complete it and post the results + winners

Drivers picks :

Krekme's Airtrek turbo 1st pick, love the car and most certainly has that "Wow" Factor.

2nd Pick Zigatans RX8, love the noise this car makes followed by the very poised handling dynamics, a fun car to drive

ALSO,

Very sorry for not being on the last couple of days these forums had me as deregistered and I had major dramas getting re-activated for no apparrent reason.

Ryan will send my spreadsheet tonight when I get home.

And great work all tuners and especially all testers a massive undertaking by all well done you made it!!!!

dont worry about the spread sheet herman i got it all

running into a small prob with drivers choice... chose the numbers wrong, if there is a tie winner will be chosen by fastest lap time.

Last edited:
Hermanvongerman
Drivers picks :

Krekme's Airtrek turbo 1st pick, love the car and most certainly has that "Wow" Factor.

2nd Pick Zigatans RX8, love the noise this car makes followed by the very poised handling dynamics, a fun car to drive

ALSO,

Very sorry for not being on the last couple of days these forums had me as deregistered and I had major dramas getting re-activated for no apparrent reason.

Ryan will send my spreadsheet tonight when I get home.

And great work all tuners and especially all testers a massive undertaking by all well done you made it!!!!

Thanks alot for the drivers choice. I was just trying to make it fun and hoped it would at least hold its own. Again thank you... (seems Clueless has a fan :sly: )

I would also like to thank all of the testers for there time and efforts. Really you are the ones that make these shootouts work, so my hats off to all of you :cheers:

Thanks alot for the drivers choice. I was just trying to make it fun and hoped it would at least hold its own. Again thank you... (seems Clueless has a fan :sly: )

I would also like to thank all of the testers for there time and efforts. Really you are the ones that make these shootouts work, so my hats off to all of you :cheers:

NP :sly: I actually really thoroughly enjoyed driving the car, and I was suprised by how fast it went compared with alot of the other "Death Wagons" I tested my self for the 490pp range before I decided to take the easy out with my WRX.

I am waiting a bit longer to get luv2drive's times for the 520 range for RJ and his drivers pick then posting the results.

It narrowly lost my #2 Driver's Pick too..I just couldn't give it simply due to the slightly slow times posted. For my picks the cars had to be both competitive and fun to drive. While your car excelled in the "Fun to drive" category it wasn't as impressive in the area of POWAHHHH.

3rd Best to drive…a podium finish of sorts. :lol: I'll take that as my win in the 550PP category. Screw the lap times, I wasn't going to win from the off with so little power, and any more power, and it might not be as good to drive. :P Shame is that it probably won't drive any where near as good online, thanks to the physics change…but that's for later.

2nd in Nomis' test, 3rd in yours, and a few fastest times for my 490PP car, I'm happy with that. The Scoobies have done me proud. :)

I have been testing around camber lately and am finding more grip in the higher numbers. The sweet spot has been around 2.8. I notice other try to keep camber around 1.0. I have tried that, but with less success. I only use numbers that low on the rear of FF cars trying to get them to rotate more.
Max grip has always been between 2.5-3.2 range every time I tested it out. I usually run less for the tire wear (in GT5) reasons mentioned above.
I've found 1.0-2.0 to be the best "grip for the wear" range.(Which isn't really relevant to these shootouts anyway)

I am waiting a bit longer to get luv2drive's times for the 520 range for RJ and his drivers pick then posting the results.

Eh…post the results for the 490PP and 550PP first? Not much point in keeping us all waiting and to let this go on for longer than needs be…right? Ah well, I'll go and admire Nomis' pretty graphs for now.

CSLACR
Max grip has always been between 2.5-3.2 range every time I tested it out. I usually run less for the tire wear (in GT5) reasons mentioned above.
I've found 1.0-2.0 to be the best "grip for the wear" range.(Which isn't really relevant to these shootouts anyway)

Yeah, I tend to go for the 1.0-2.0 range because of your wear and only go higher for time attack setups and others running race tires

ok sorry for not being around much the last two days been studying for a test -_-. I will be posting the results for the 490 range and 550 everything but the drivers choice because i am waiting for luv2drives picks. I had to switch up the fastest driver to the top driver in each class because there just wasnt enough testers. Those are marked in red. Tuners are 1st in red 2nd blue 3rd green. and last will be marked in purple.

Some pages will be marked with a fourth color because that means one of the tuners won in two categories and the 4th place will be a back up because each tuner can only win once. Those will be marked in orange. Please double check the results.

Again no drivers picks yet since i need Luv2drives picks and no 520 results those will be posted in 2 days or so.

The Total average result is just the average from each driver on each track so lets say 58.423 is your average from TSUKUBA and your average is 9.823 at SUZUKA from all drivers. I took those two times added them like so (58.423+9.823) and then divided by 2 because of the two tracks which gets you your total average of 34.123.

If you dont want to read the excel sheet here is a quick overview

490 tuners results
1) Theo
2) Onboy
3) Cslacr
4) (back up) Herman
Last) Grado

490 Tester
1) Herman

490 drivers picks pending

520 Pending

Tuners

Testers
1) Luv2drive (i cant win)

Drivers picks

550 Tuners
1) Acsr
2) Ugabugaz
3) Cslacr
4) (back up) VtiRoj
last) Xdes

550 Driver
1) Ugabugaz

550 Drivers Pick Pending

Everyone please post the car you would like me to send in here or message me about it.

Attachments

• Results.rar
    35.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Yay at least I'nm good at something.... I'm gonna keep with the tuing though as testing soo many rides can become quite painful.... especially when trying to balance work and family etc... great comp thus far, now to see whos farm vehicle was quicker in the 520pp challenge.....

Yay at least I'nm good at something.... I'm gonna keep with the tuing though as testing soo many rides can become quite painful.... especially when trying to balance work and family etc... great comp thus far, now to see whos farm vehicle was quicker in the 520pp challenge.....

I think you may be the owner of a Prius :D... :lol:

Hey at least I can say I have the fastest car to run in all three categories.:crazy::lol:

Was really hoping not to come dead last in the 550PP but I'm afraid that it had to much understeer left in and not quite enough speed to realistically do any better.:drool:

Great job by all the tuners and test drivers, had a blast tuning my "DMWDs" for this and we had a great shootout.:cheers:

I'm relatively new to the tuning scene here in GTP, this being only my second shootout. Having learned plenty, though, I am eagerly looking forward to future shootouts. Though I haven't signed up as a tester, I've been running the others' setups and have gotten to appreciate the vast difference in styles and vehicles.

I admit I'm still put off by most standard cars, with the exception of some (RGT :sly:), but this shootout opened up a new stable of great cars to mess around with.

Running a relatively new tuning thread based primarily on touge setups lap times are the last thing on the checklist (because touge benefits softer suspensions paired with aggressive differentials), but they (touge cars) can benefit fromtime attack style tuning.

All-in-all, this was a really fun shootout to be a part of!

Last edited:
Back