Karelian MotorWorks - Updated with Racing Elise!

• Thread starter Temetias.
  • 220 comments
Y U NO TURN ABS ON?! It's bad enough that this thing isn't exactly small, the fact that the sodding ABS is off on the test car...

Because I'm an idiot! Sorry about that, must have been testing something and forgot to put it back. Actually, on further investigation, the ABS doesn't appear in the Settings Sheet, but it looks like it remembers what your driving options were last time you used the car so I got caught out...hmmmm that's an easy trap to fall into.

Thanks heaps for the review, especially the constructive criticisms, gives me something to improve when I update the tune. 👍

Because I'm an idiot! Sorry about that, must have been testing something and forgot to put it back. Actually, on further investigation, the ABS doesn't appear in the Settings Sheet, but it looks like it remembers what your driving options were last time you used the car so I got caught out...hmmmm that's an easy trap to fall into.

Thanks heaps for the review, especially the constructive criticisms, gives me something to improve when I update the tune. 👍

Well, the brakes seems to be more fit for not having ABS turned on, and unless I'm mistaken, the ballast placement is a wrong as well.

No problem, just doing my part time job. 👍 Now…I might want a car done just to give you something to do. :P

Well, the brakes seems to be more fit for not having ABS turned on, and unless I'm mistaken, the ballast placement is a wrong as well.

No problem, just doing my part time job. 👍 Now…I might want a car done just to give you something to do. :P

Congratulations, you get the prize for spotting the ballast settings mistake!

But the weight is 0kg, so I'll be taking that prize back, thanks :P:P

Congratulations, you get the prize for spotting the ballast settings mistake!

But the weight is 0kg, so I'll be taking that prize back, thanks :P:P

:lol:

You wrote the weight wrong in the car stats sheet as well then. :P

And as for my request…errr…how about an Opera Z/Gran Turismo Z? I'll fill in the request form for it, of course. :lol:

You wrote the weight wrong in the car stats sheet as well then. :P
Ummm.... errr.... :embarrassed:
What a mess. Yes, the weight was wrong in the spec sheet AND the test car should have had ballast. D'oh! It's all been patched up now, but I guess it's crying out to be fixed for Spec 2 someday...

And as for my request…errr…how about an Opera Z/Gran Turismo Z? I'll fill in the request form for it, of course. :lol:
Of course. Dunno where Temetias is at, but I need a few weeks to get back up to speed and see whether any of my theories still work...

Ummm.... errr.... :embarrassed:
What a mess. Yes, the weight was wrong in the spec sheet AND the test car should have had ballast. D'oh! It's all been patched up now, but I guess it's crying out to be fixed for Spec 2 someday...

Of course. Dunno where Temetias is at, but I need a few weeks to get back up to speed and see whether any of my theories still work...

Well, it drives fine-ish without it. Ok, but do me a favour, update that loony F40 first. :D I think, I think I like it.

He's busy saving Volvo and ticking off some guy who likes Jags. :lol: Oh screw the sodding theories, do it by feel. :lol: I'll make the request when you're back up to speed then. 👍

Well, it drives fine-ish without it. Ok, but do me a favour, update that loony F40 first. :D I think, I think I like it.
Loony F40 updated! It's on sharing now. Big thanks to Z1-AV69 for coming back from the dead for some excellent feedback during the re-design process.

At 580PP, the F40 is desperately lacking traction when using sports softs. But, rather than bolting on stickier rubber, I decided to stick with it as a tune for the brave/insane. But then, tuning to improve traction ruins the rest of the handling. So it's a fine balance between retaining at least a tiny bit of traction and actually having it handle nice. Let us know if you think we've got it right.

This tune is quite specific to R246, due to the higher traction at this track. At other tracks, you will find it will wheelspin in 3rd in a straight line :nervous:

He's busy saving Volvo and ticking off some guy who likes Jags. :lol: Oh screw the sodding theories, do it by feel. :lol: I'll make the request when you're back up to speed then. 👍
Haha, I guess someone's gotta save them...
My self-inflicted "Update 2.5 tuning boot camp" is over, so feel free to send in that request, Onboy.

Loony F40 updated! It's on sharing now. Big thanks to Z1-AV69 for coming back from the dead for some excellent feedback during the re-design process.

At 580PP, the F40 is desperately lacking traction when using sports softs. But, rather than bolting on stickier rubber, I decided to stick with it as a tune for the brave/insane. But then, tuning to improve traction ruins the rest of the handling. So it's a fine balance between retaining at least a tiny bit of traction and actually having it handle nice. Let us know if you think we've got it right.

This tune is quite specific to R246, due to the higher traction at this track. At other tracks, you will find it will wheelspin in 3rd in a straight line :nervous:

Haha, I guess someone's gotta save them...
My self-inflicted "Update 2.5 tuning boot camp" is over, so feel free to send in that request, Onboy.

Woooo! Ok, gimme a bit, should be done testing it within the hour. 👍

Well, I'll give it a go there, but I'll still test at Trial Mountain, just because I have a ghost replay for the old tune and want to see how well it drives compared to that one.

He failed though. :lol:
Wht have you learnt then? Again, give me a second, I'll post the request after I drive the F40. 👍

Ferrari F40 Core Edition (Updated)

Trial Mountain/Forward
Lap time: 1:31.828
Improvement: 1.331 seconds

Tokyo R246
Lap time: 1:48.822

Well…this is a completely different animal compared to the Spec I version. That thing drove like the tyres were shot, you'd get oversteer which would kill you if you weren't prepared, and a pathetically slow lap if you tried to not slide your way around. Basically, you're on the edge, or you're doing it wrong.

This however, feels the complete opposite. It doesn't suffer from the same tail happiness, but instead feels strangely stiff. I wouldn't call it recalcitrant, but it seems to like to push on more than before. It's no understeering pig, that's for sure, it just has the "grumpy old man" temper. It has a "I ain't listenin' to you, boi, what do you know?" attitude. And yet…and yet, there's still something of the old car left in here…

…you see, this thing, as reluctant as it is to turn on your command with the throttle on, will show you how well it can really dance when you coast into bends. This, it seems, is the new way to drive it. You need to wait for it to settle down into a corner first, then pin it wide open. Then, and only then, will you experience the proper, axe murderer side to this bipolar lunatic. It responds extremely well, sharp, edgy, one wrong twitch and you're heading for the walls. But keep it from those limits, and it is a properly exciting car to drive, it really is a V8 go cart. Though I'm not sure if there ever was a go cart which has a 650hp engine, but hey. It's a hard car to grasp. First impressions show that you've screwed the car up, drive it a bit, that impression is out the window. In its place is the thought that this is a more mature but equally lairy lunatic of a thing. Take it to Tokyo R246 as suggested, and suddenly, you start to think that this is basically a 80s F1 car with a F40 body on it. It's a car of many different attributes. It can be a stubborn mule, it can be a razor sharp thriller. And it's all down to your style of driving.

Personally, I adore it.

**Note: Nomis, don't think I didn't notice the fact that you seemed to have removed some power from the old warhorse, where's the full 686hp? :P

Last edited:
Ferrari F40 Core Edition (Updated)

Trial Mountain/Forward
Lap time: 1:31.828
Improvement: 1.331 seconds

Tokyo R246
Lap time: 1:48.822

Well…this is a completely different animal compared to the Spec I version

…you see, this thing, as reluctant as it is to turn on your command with the throttle on, will show you how well it can really dance when you coast into bends. This, it seems, is the new way to drive it. You need to wait for it to settle down into a corner first, then pin it wide open. Then, and only then, will you experience the proper, axe murderer side to this bipolar lunatic. It responds extremely well, sharp, edgy, one wrong twitch and you're heading for the walls.
Wow, thanks heaps for the great review 👍👍

And testing it at Trial Mountain?! Wow, you have cahones! I stayed well clear of that track, for fear of requiring an emergency panel beater and laundrymat...

Indeed, well spotted that it now prefers to slide into corners. In retrospect, the old tune actually had a lot of understeer at its core. This was somewhat masked by rear-biased brake settings and the rear-tyre-shedding-fury of 662 bhp. But this conflict made the handling inconsistent and a beast- in a bad way. Now I feel the car is at peace with itself...now it can focus its energy into tempting the driver to push just that little bit too hard...

First impressions show that you've screwed the car up, drive it a bit, that impression is out the window. In its place is the thought that this is a more mature but equally lairy lunatic of a thing.
Thankyou, this is exactly what I'd hope to achieve with the tune.

**Note: Nomis, don't think I didn't notice the fact that you seemed to have removed some power from the old warhorse, where's the full 686hp? :P
I can't sneak anything past you dammit! I tried to tune for more power, but to get even a vague semblance of the required traction required more compromise to the chassis settings, creating more understeer. Also, the titanium exhaust sounds terrible IMHO, it's like the engine is pinging its head off. However, the spare parts supply includes an intake manifold and titanium exhaust for you to install when you want to create smoke effects!

PS I hope you found the new car's colour scheme as hideous as the old car's. The ugliness is an attempt to make these ponies remember who's boss!

Wow, thanks heaps for the great review 👍👍

And testing it at Trial Mountain?! Wow, you have cahones! I stayed well clear of that track, for fear of requiring an emergency panel beater and laundrymat...
No worries, always willing to help out. 👍

Nah, RJ taught me a thing or two about how to get around something around Trial Mountain in a relatively quick time. It's not that bad there, I only needed to change my pants once. :lol:

Indeed, well spotted that it now prefers to slide into corners. In retrospect, the old tune actually had a lot of understeer at its core. This was somewhat masked by rear-biased brake settings and the rear-tyre-shedding-fury of 662 bhp. But this conflict made the handling inconsistent and a beast- in a bad way. Now I feel the car is at peace with itself...now it can focus its energy into tempting the driver to push just that little bit too hard...

Thankyou, this is exactly what I'd hope to achieve with the tune.

Well, I personally think some trail braking would help cure it, as well as help it tuck in as well. Is that what the pointlessly epic toe settings are for? I see these toe settings on F1 cars, not road cars. :lol:

I can't sneak anything past you dammit! I tried to tune for more power, but to get even a vague semblance of the required traction required more compromise to the chassis settings, creating more understeer. Also, the titanium exhaust sounds terrible IMHO, it's like the engine is pinging its head off. However, the spare parts supply includes an intake manifold and titanium exhaust for you to install when you want to create smoke effects!

PS I hope you found the new car's colour scheme as hideous as the old car's. The ugliness is an attempt to make these ponies remember who's boss!

I check the settings so there's nothing mismatched between the tune post and the actual car. :P It smokes enough as it is, so I'll be leaving it off for now. I want this F40 though. Badly. Now. Ok, maybe without the 80s punk rock paint. :lol:

Anyway…tune request! Ehh…just wait, I need to get the request thing…

Edit:

PSN: Onboy123
Car&Tyres: Nismo 350Z Z-Tune/Sport soft
Will you send the car: Yup
How you want you car tuned: Up to you entirely. I have not much personal preferences though something which drives like Temetias' RX7 would be very nice, if a bit of an ask.
Controller: DS3
Online/offline: Offline biased, don't bother optimising it for online, I rarely race there.
Link to review: Clicky for Review

Last edited:
Anyway…tune request! Ehh…just wait, I need to get the request thing…

Edit:

PSN: Onboy123
Car&Tyres: Nismo 350Z Z-Tune/Sport soft
Will you send the car: Yup
How you want you car tuned: Up to you entirely. I have not much personal preferences though something which drives like Temetias' RX7 would be very nice, if a bit of an ask.
Controller: DS3
Online/offline: Offline biased, don't bother optimising it for online, I rarely race there.
Link to review: Clicky for Review

Onboy, check out my cars on sharing, there's something that might interest you...
(also the RX-7 Evo I is up, so you can compare)

Most of the tuning was done at Eiger short track (:drool:). My initial plan was to have it match the feel and lap time of the RX-7 as closely as possible. But it was too fast! I started removing hp but without the extra grunt to "free" the rear tyres, it became less playful. So I gave it the hp back and concentrated on the feel.

With an extra 200 kg over the RX-7, it needs a bit more effort at the start of the turn, but after this I believe it is nicely agile if you are prepared to manhandle it*. I actually find that, once the rear end starts sliding, it is easier to hold the drift than the RX-7 (which I find tries to keep rotating, so needs careful corrections to not spin out). IMHO the Z-tune is sublime at the hairpin heading into the Eiger tunnel, many times I caught myself indulging in some Tokyo Drift, it took a lot of willpower to get back to the serious task of sensible laps!!
* I recommend controller steering sensitivity of at least 3 to sharpen up the initial response

Unfortunately the engine is very laggy below 4000 rpm and it comes on boost violently (the rush of torque is actually worse with lower-spec turbos). 2nd gear is quite short, purely to keep the engine on the boil above 4000 rpm at all times.

Let me know what needs improving, then once you're happy with it I'll send it back to you.

Cheers,
Simon

Onboy, check out my cars on sharing, there's something that might interest you...
(also the RX-7 Evo I is up, so you can compare)

Ok, gave it a spin, here's what I think:

Eiger Nordwand Short Track (as recommended)-

KMW RX7 Spirit Evo 1(Benchmark)- 1:07.678

Nismo Z-Tune 350Z- 1:06.020

Eh…yea. I'm glad I don't need to pay for the tyres. Because this thing just loves to go sideways. Don't try to stop it, it's pointless. And besides, if you do try to drive carefully, you'll be off throttle for longer than you are on it, which isn't good for the lap time, is it? Basically, until you actually get the hang of it, going nuts with the throttle and drifting the track is the better way to go.

The gearbox is…odd, but still helps make the engine's presence felt. It's quick, the ratios are close together, 3rd and 4th especially. They are so close, when you accelerate out of a corner in 3rd, it will try to chase its tail, even when you're nearly in a straight line! It's hilarious fun to watch and to try and tame, and it's even more fun holding it sideways through the hairpins. This thing, even with the immense 614hp, feels like it was born and raised here. Which it was, but still. It felt odd to drive when I first got in, it felt reluctant to turn, it chewed through its tyres at the slightly prod of the throttle. But use that to get it to turn, and it's a truly enjoyable beast of a thing to drive. It's a barely tamed storm, a modern incarnation of the Devil Z. Now do me a favour…ditch the ballast. :D
_____

And now, for a small bit on the other thing you have on share. That mad Swede C30-R:

Trial Mountain/Forward-
This feels very, very strange to drive. When you first arrive at a corner, it feels like it has some lift off oversteer, but as soon as you countersteer, it finds grip and leaves you with just enough time to correct it again. It doesn't feel natural to drive, and who's been playing with the negative rear toe again? :P Seriously, -1.00 at the back? Seems…extreme, I say. But then, you're…you, with your natural habit of setting cars up with loony toe angles, so I guess it's expected. It also seems to be rather short on pull. The car has enough power to accelerate quickly, but even with the stupidly close gearbox, it lacks the punch needed.

Another issue is that it will understeer if you're not careful. The 355hp will cause it to push wide on throttle, and lifting off cures it, but it hurts the pace a bit. I'd ditch the wing if I were you, and then run it with Engine Stage 3 and just tune around the extra power and extra smoke resulting from it.

Basically, it's a nice starting point, just tune the understeer out (or add some oversteer in ;)) and you've got quite a fun 500PP car on your hands.

Last edited:

Eiger Nordwand Short Track (as recommended)-

KMW RX7 Spirit Evo 1(Benchmark)- 1:07.678
Nismo Z-Tune 350Z- 1:06.020

The gearbox is…odd, but still helps make the engine's presence felt. It's quick, the ratios are close together, 3rd and 4th especially. They are so close, when you accelerate out of a corner in 3rd, it will try to chase its tail, even when you're nearly in a straight line! It's hilarious fun to watch and to try and tame, and it's even more fun holding it sideways through the hairpins
It's a barely tamed storm, a modern incarnation of the Devil Z. Now do me a favour…ditch the ballast. :D
Aye, aye, Captain. Tune is now fat-free (ie no ballast) and 3rd, 4th and 5th are taller. The car is in the post to you now. Enjoy! And thanks for your continual interest in our little garage.

And now, for a small bit on the other thing you have on share. That mad Swede C30-R...
Hey, where's security??? Looks like we've got an intruder sneaking in, taking the covers off our development prototypes, then taking them for a midnight run around the test track. :P

But then again, with the other KMW guys on holidays or something, it's nice to actually get some feedback on the tune!

This feels very, very strange to drive.
Yes, when it is released, it will need to come with it's own instruction book that starts with "forget everything you knew about driving..."
By the way, its home track is London.

Another issue is that it will understeer if you're not careful. The 355hp will cause it to push wide on throttle, and lifting off cures it, but it hurts the pace a bit. I'd ditch the wing if I were you, and then run it with Engine Stage 3 and just tune around the extra power and extra smoke resulting from it.
Yeah, a friend was visiting and couldn't get within 2 seconds of my lap, complaining that it was very easy to fall into understeer. Seems I've developed some ridiculous driving technique to coax the rear end to play a bit (apply full lock while braking > release brakes when you want to turn-in > ignore lift-off oversteer > mash throttle slightly early to compensate for turbo lag > hold full lock and throttle to exit while ignoring tortured screams of front tyres). Also, it loves to totally cut the first hairpin, resulting in a very strange, yet quick, line.

The wing is on minimum setting, IIRC this is actually lower than no wing (if not, then yeah I'll remove it).

Basically, it's a nice starting point, just tune the understeer out (or add some oversteer in ;)) and you've got quite a fun 500PP car on your hands.
Thanks. Once it's finished, it should be great fun to beat up sports cars in a shopping trolley!

With his great reviews of various KMW tunes, Onboy123 has well and truly earned his custom tune. And he has kindly volunteered to share it with the rest of the internet. So... introducing ...
Ztune.jpg

(image courtesy of madwhips.com)
Onboy's Fairlady Z Z-tune Tune
Based on NISMO Fairlady Z Z-tune (Z33) '03
Tuned for v2.06 offline

Facts
Max. Power: 614 BHP
Drivetrain: FR
Weight: 1175 kg

Parts to buy

GT Auto
Oil Change

Tuning Shop
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Rigidity Improvement
All engine mods
High RPM turbo
Fully Customisable Transmission
Fully Customisable LSD
Fully Customisable Suspension Kit
Twin plate clutch (no flywheel upgrade)
Sports Soft Tyres

Setup

Body / Chassis
Ballast: 0
Downforce: N/A

Transmission
1st: 3.16
2nd: 2.18
3rd: 1.68
4th: 1.42
5th: 1.21
6th: 1.00
Final: 3.72
Max Speed: 310 km/h

Drivetrain
Initial Torque: 20
Acceleration Sensitivity: 13
Braking Sensitivity: 10

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment: 0 / +7
Spring Rate: 14 / 10
Dampers (extension): 9 / 6
Dampers (compression): 9 / 6
Anti-Roll Bars: 6 / 4
Camber Angle: 2.5 / 2.0
Toe Angle: -0.10 / +0.15

Brakes
Brake Balance: 9 / 8

Driving Options
Transmission: MT
TCS: OFF
Skid Recovery Force: OFF
Active Steering: OFF
ASM: OFF
ABS: 1
Controller Sensitivity: 4

When Onboy sent across the Fairlady with instructions something like "just make it good like the KMW RX-7", I thought I'd up the ante and try to make it drive just like the RX-7. Unfortunately, GT5 does not allow for the V6 to be replaced by a rotary, so the Fairlady was always gonna have more kg resting on the front axle. To compensate for this, KMW wound up the engine to fearsome levels that Mr Otto would be proud of. In the end, the nose needs a bit more convincing to turn-in than the RX-7, but the extra horsies more than compensate for the extra pork. This results in the Fairlady being about 0.5s quicker around Eiger Norwand Short Track than Temetias' monster.

Hey, Temetias, surely this upstart newcomer demands some form of rotary retaliation?? nudge, nudge

Last edited:
It is here, the lunatic Devil Z. :D but 1 small thing, it's not 584hp as such, more 614. :D Typo mate, high RPM turbo and all the rest of it brings power into the 600+ region.

It is here, the lunatic Devil Z. :D but 1 small thing, it's not 584hp as such, more 614. :D Typo mate, high RPM turbo and all the rest of it brings power into the 600+ region.
Argh...spec sheet gremlins yet again. What would we do without you, Onboy?!

Megane.jpg

KMW Online Megane 500 PP
Based on Renault Megane Sport '08
Tuned for v2.11 online

meganev2.jpg

(in "driving options", change sensitivity to 3 and ABS to 8)

Designed to go chasing the ubiquitous Elises, AE86es and NSXes that lurk online, this shopping trolley guarantees fun times (at least until the front tyres are down to the canvas, unfortunately this doesn't take long for any 380PP FF!). The small dimensions (except for the derriere...) mean a jiggly ride, but that's what we have chiropractors for. Be prepared for a response of "ROFL" when you enter the pits in the Megane, which will change to "WTF" by the end of the race, because this hatch is faster than it has any right to be!

This is my first serious online tune, and hopefully the first of many online tunes from KMW. A different philosophy has been used compared with our offline tunes. These tunes will be built to nice round PP numbers (400, 450, etc) and I have fitted a lower-spec turbo so that the PP can be increased a bit if the room has a higher limit. While I'm not a fan of blindly slapping on racing soft tyres, this is what the kiddies demand, so my tunes will bow down to peer pressure and run these "superglue" tyres. The KMW offline tunes are usually optimised for a specific track, whereas the online will be more "general purpose" tunes with some necessarly compromises to make them play nice at most tracks. Lastly, where an offline tune might intentionally have some character (often "character" translates to "power oversteer"...), there will be a greater focus on lap times for online tunes.

Last edited:
How odd…I was just getting out of the 500PP online scene in preparation for school…then you rock up with this thing. Ah well, school can wait, I suppose. :D

Is an Elise going to be part? The RX7? The Golf? FTO? :D

(I'm happy to loan the Megane to you if you like, just let me know and I'll send it across)
How odd…I was just getting out of the 500PP online scene in preparation for school…then you rock up with this thing. Ah well, school can wait, I suppose. :D

Is an Elise going to be part? The RX7? The Golf? FTO? :D
Indeed, you might fail all your subjects, but when there is a test for who is fastest around a fictional racetrack, you'll jump to the head of the class!

Ever since I was a passenger in a Motorsport Elise (despite me holding the steering wheel etc) at High Speed Ring in GT3, I've stayed well clear of the featherweight Protons... So the only chance is if Temetias wants to do an online version of his Elise.

FTO? There is no FTO! I don't know what you're talking about! :mad: ... :lol: I dunno yet what my next tune will be, but I need a break from smoking front tyres (also the Ovlov needs a rethink). Actually, you've done so many excellent reviews for us that you could pretty much tell me what the next 17 cars that I need to tune will be :lol:

(I'm happy to loan the Megane to you if you like, just let me know and I'll send it across)

Indeed, you might fail all your subjects, but when there is a test for who is fastest around a fictional racetrack, you'll jump to the head of the class!

Ever since I was a passenger in a Motorsport Elise (despite me holding the steering wheel etc) at High Speed Ring in GT3, I've stayed well clear of the featherweight Protons... So the only chance is if Temetias wants to do an online version of his Elise.

FTO? There is no FTO! I don't know what you're talking about! :mad: ... :lol: I dunno yet what my next tune will be, but I need a break from smoking front tyres (also the Ovlov needs a rethink). Actually, you've done so many excellent reviews for us that you could pretty much tell me what the next 17 cars that I need to tune will be :lol:

If you can, that'll be great. I can always build one myself though, so you can keep that and keep improving it etc. I've been needing a new weapon for my 500PP all-night-racing-like-hell-with-no-stops-at-all, since my Elise is quick, but hard as hell to get into driving.

Give 'em a go, they're great fun. :dopey: Mine's got a lot of lift-off oversteer to fit my style. :D

Oh, whoops, did I let out a top secret project? If so, yea, what FTO? I must be drunk again. :lol: It's like that with a good few of the tuning garages here, I've done 80% of the stuff for you and around the same for RKM (Spec I though, not Spec II). I was so bored back then. :lol:

I've been seeing M3 GTRs and the like compete very well with my Elise (closest margin was something like 0.029 or so in a race), so maybe that? But then, it's better that you're actually back into tuning, because you can now share your experiences with all of us! :D

KMW Online Megane 500 PP

Recalling old conversation:
Hey mate, I just ran your Renault in a few races. And just let me ask you a question-

A grid at Tsukuba (tyre wear on) made up of BMW M3 GTRs and CSLs, how high on the leaderboard do you think your Renault would place?

5th? 4th? Nope.

In fact, it managed to haul its large arse into 2nd. 2nd, next to M3s. Just thought you'd like to know, this ain't no ordinary shopping cart.

KMW's Not-at-all-ordinary Megane 500PP-
The car is tuned very well for some left-foot/finger-braking which cures the on throttle understeer. To go with that, the car's handling even on the limits of grip and tyre is extraordinary. It never felt like letting go, and just kept on gripping where the M3s have gone off into the gravel to play.

Its biggest issue, as far as I can tell, is that it's not willing enough to keep turning in mid-corner areas. There were times I had to short shift and such to keep it from eating dirt from the sand traps. A smaller issue is that I feel the car needs to have a bit more off throttle rotation to set it up for the exit. I lost a bit of time because of this, having to keep tucking the nose in and keeping to the line.

However, its strong point more than makes up for this on a track like Tsukuba. The strong point being the explosive punch you get from corner exit. It puts the M3s to shame, I could here the locals on the mics curse and go "what the hell is that!" as it powered out the corners. This is a bit more a point and squirt style car, you turn in, clip the apex, apply a dribble of power and stand on the throttle on the way out. No fuss, no real need to adjust lines, and the car next to you is suddenly in your rear mirror. I love doing that. :lol:

I'm very impressed with this, I wasn't too happy with it when it first let me down at Cape Ring, but this tune makes it a solid competitor in the 500PP class. And as for the FF class? It wipes the floor with them.

Now, all that above was a good week or more ago, since then, the Megane has dueled relentlessly (and won, in many cases) against the likes of the Lancer Evolutions, Ruf RGTs, Integra Type Rs and even a few M3s outside of Tsukuba (alright, it did lose to this one, but the fact it was competitive against it is, in itself, quite a feat).

The only thing it can't beat is, as far as I'm concerned, my one. :P

^ Thanks heaps for the ace review, Onboy. The shocked reactions of the M3 drivers as the bubble butt is pulling away from them is the perfect result for me!

Also, many thanks for your suggestions, the KMW Megane is now an improved beast thanks to them. While not as stiff as you suggested (a compromise to stop things getting too jiggly at bumpy tracks), indeed the better body control of stiffer springs is worthwhile. Gearing is now taller to better match the powerband and grip. Lastly, as suggested a higher LSD accel improves front grip while accelerating. 👍👍

Onboy123
The only thing it can't beat is, as far as I'm concerned, my one.
See you on the track, then!!

ShelbyMustang.jpg

KMW Offline Shelby Mustang 520 PP
Based on Shelby GT350R '65
Tuned for v2.07 offline

Shelbysettings.jpg

(in "driving options", change sensitivity to 0 and ABS to 1)

Thanks Carroll. Rest in Peace.

"Taming" one of these savage, yet gorgeous, beasts would be missing the point, so we decided to embrace the madness. For better or worse, even "racing soft" 1965-spec crossply tyres are no match for the piece of Americana under the "hood". This is not a car you can wantonly mash the throttle in, extracting speed requires a gentle approach of feeding in the power to match the rearward weight transfer.

Turn-in is very dependent on the gear. Delay your downshifts for stability under braking, then go to the lowest gear when you want maximum rotation (don't be afraid of using 1st gear to get maximum rotation...just keep in mind the whole "not mashing" thing above...). To keep things relatively civil at bumpy tracks like Deep Forest, the suspension is soft-ish. So controlling weight transfer is important and there will be times when the driver will need to be patient and wait for the bodyroll to do its thing. But it's all part of the muscle-car experience; hopefully you enjoy the balance and controllable on-throttle antics!

I've got a unique request. During Le Mans weekend 3 buddies and myself are going to be challenging the 9 Hours of Tsukuba as we did last year with the 4 Hours of Nurburgring, 4 Hour Roadster and Grand Valley 300km. I've done all the homework leading up to the event to find the ai's average lap times/ pit sequences ect. Tsukuba 9 Hours Companion With that knowledge in hand we need to run laps somewhere around 1:00-1:01 to make it a competitive race. What makes this so unique is that we have 4 drivers with 4 different skill levels. That part was pretty easy to narrow down however with each driver being 1 grade apart from Racing Soft-Sport Soft.

My reason for the request is that on Tsukuba this car seems to have a few unnerving behaviors. The entry into the 2nd turn and the entry into the last turn. The car seems to lose balance as you dive into the 2nd turn and when you brake it has a tendency to make a right hand turn. In the final turn as I get onto the brakes it has a tendency to break loose.

I would greatly appreciate you taking a look at the car. The biggest thing here is we aren't going for all out speed but balance and great tire wear. Do you think you could help us out with this? I'll be off and on GT5 doing more testing for fuel and tire strategies so if you did have some time I would be happy to jump in a session with you.

I'll be posting a live blog that day with the race info and would like to submit that to you as a review if we can work something out.

PSN: NingDynasty
Car&Tyres: RS - SS
Will you send the car: If needed
How you want you car tuned: Tsukuba, Tire life, Balance
Controller: Logitech G25
Online/offline: Offline endurance race Fuel and Tire wear on.
Link to review: It will be here. Bri-Y's Endurance Race Reports

Hello Bri-Y, wow that will be an epic GT5 binge! Sure, I'm happy to help with the tuning side of it. I'd better let you know that I tune for controller, from what I've heard they still work ok with wheels, are you still keen?

Which car(s) are you running? I can help out with advice on tunes for 2 or 3.

Like I said in the previous post our baseline testing has been done using the Audi TTx from your tune shop. The car will be shared between the 4 drivers during the 9 hour event.

Right now it is very loose under braking at Tsukuba with a full fuel load. Tire wear and balance are our biggest concerns. We will be using racing softs through sports softs during the race to even out the skill differential of the drivers so the car needs to be balanced on all 4 sets of tires.

Simon,

I'll share a brand new TT with you since the engine break in won't matter much in my case since I'm having to limit it to about 325 hp to be competitive in this race. I slapped a big 'ole wing on the back and that fixed most of the wiggle it had into turn 2 and the final turn.

Back