Karting Thread

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 1,546 comments
Long and somewhat frustrating practise day today.
A fair few issues throughout the day. Bakes, Carbie, Tyres and of course the wrong set-up. However, all of these issues were resolved by days end and I went 2 tenths under my PB in my last run for the day!

See what happens tomorrow. Two of my 4 main competitors were absent which is odd and the rest of us were struggling with our karts for one reason or another.

Long and somewhat frustrating practise day today.
A fair few issues throughout the day. Bakes, Carbie, Tyres and of course the wrong set-up. However, all of these issues were resolved by days end and I went 2 tenths under my PB in my last run for the day!

See what happens tomorrow. Two of my 4 main competitors were absent which is odd and the rest of us were struggling with our karts for one reason or another.

My day yesterday didn't go much better. Smashed, crashed, T-boned and black-flagged for a sidepod coming off. :indiff: Possibly bent the frame. Bent a brand new bumper. Lost points (maybe?) to the guy behind me in the points.

Oh, and received more threats. :yuck: :grumpy:

I should take up rally. I hear rally drivers can actually be friendly to each other... :indiff: unlike kart drivers, whose sole purpose in life is the attempt to maim or otherwise injure the other drivers... :scared:

Rally isn't the same. More ike a time-trial event.
Karting is close-combat, wheel-to-wheel action!

Me being a bored person who likes stats just decided to work out the club championship position for my class. Much to my suprize, I am leading...comfortably.

Puts a bit more pressure on performing tomorrow.

Rally isn't the same. More ike a time-trial event.
Karting is close-combat, wheel-to-wheel action!

Me being a bored person who likes stats just decided to work out the club championship position for my class. Much to my suprize, I am leading...comfortably.

Puts a bit more pressure on performing tomorrow.

:yuck: Your words, not mine. You may choose to be bored... I'll choose to be driving through forests at 200 km/h. :sly: And I'll enjoy it.

My day yesterday didn't go much better. Smashed, crashed, T-boned and black-flagged for a sidepod coming off. :indiff: Possibly bent the frame. Bent a brand new bumper. Lost points (maybe?) to the guy behind me in the points.
They should have used black/orange flag but I guess they didn't have that so they used the next closest thing. Sidepods are meant to protect your chassis.
I should take up rally. I hear rally drivers can actually be friendly to each other... :indiff: unlike kart drivers, whose sole purpose in life is the attempt to maim or otherwise injure the other drivers... :scared:
Well there are benefits to doing rally; they're time trial based, don't get as boring that quickly (in my opinion) and unless you're captain slow/alien-like fast you're not going to encounter any other vehicles. But then again maybe the drivers you're racing with are trying too hard to be fast and mess up everyone's race.

Yes to everything you said, MSTR232.

I refuse to acknowledge the "meatball" flag as any different from the black flag; when you see it, your race is over. Yes, I got the meatball. BUT, no, I don't call it that. If it's a black flag in any way, it's bad news.

As for the differences between rallying and karting, even when you're rallying with slower classes (💡) they will be more likely to get out of your way. It's all about time, so everyone wants to make clean passes and not crash their car. It's not about "track position." In that way, it's like touge. In touge, the following driver just has to keep pace with, or outpace the other driver. Rallying is the same way. If you don't have to pass them, why risk it?

At my kart track... There's some nasty examples of "rude" driving manoeuvres, language, and hand gestures exchanged after every race.

The first 5 karts (Including me) finished within a second of each other. Unfortunantely I was at the back. No difference in times means I can't make a move.

Apart from my little slip up in the first Medium heat of the day was pretty straight forward.
Fastest I've been but my worst results since April :S

Bring on the C & D Titles I say!

I agree with you there.... I have been denied a race win on 2 occasions because of "red mist" from other drivers... Frustrating I know

Two days of testing done at Grand Nationals, need about 5 more tenths to be on par with the front runners.
The track has ridiculous amounts of rubber laid down. Really hard to keep up with the Tony Karts. Put on new tires and we slowed down two tenths!

I'm dropping out. I just saw a video of how Tristan makes his way up through the field; shoving, beating, pushing and general aggressive driving. :grumpy: It's such a familiar story. My heart's not in it. I'm not here to be a jerk, and spin people. But, when you put 20+ idiots on a track together, what else is going to happen?

I'm dropping out. I just saw a video of how Tristan makes his way up through the field; shoving, beating, pushing and general aggressive driving. :grumpy: It's such a familiar story. My heart's not in it. I'm not here to be a jerk, and spin people. But, when you put 20+ idiots on a track together, what else is going to happen?

Wha..?

I saw that video, nothing wrong at all with his driving.
Adam even commented that he was being too nice.

You have to realize that it is a contact sport, hence why a lot of people have the plastic panels on the side to prevent the decals from getting destroyed.

Adam even commented that he was being too nice.

Exactly! That sort of nonsense doesn't exist in rallying. Even if you're faster, in karting, it doesn't mean squat because the more aggressive drivers will just use force to make up/hold their positions.

That's not who I am. I refuse to be the guy who breaks someone's arm, or ruins someone's race. I refuse to be a jerk. I don't know whether it's some missing DNA sequence or something, but I refuse to be the guy who causes a crash.

I can't be that guy, and I won't be. I value different things in my life.

At my kart track, the saying is something like "you've gotta push them out of your way to win."

It's the same way in most of the other clubs I've gone to.

Same over here, although I would say it was more ramming each other out of the way :P I posted some videos from my club a couple of pages back if you didn't see them already :)

"you've gotta push them out of your way to win."

It's nothing like that, I've had tons of great battle with Tristan and Adam.
Of course there can be a little bit of contact, but that's from running so hard side by side.

Exactly! That sort of nonsense doesn't exist in rallying. Even if you're faster, in karting, it doesn't mean squat because the more aggressive drivers will just use force to make up/hold their positions.

That's not who I am. I refuse to be the guy who breaks someone's arm, or ruins someone's race. I refuse to be a jerk. I don't know whether it's some missing DNA sequence or something, but I refuse to be the guy who causes a crash.

I can't be that guy, and I won't be. I value different things in my life.

You don't have to ruin someone's race as you pass them, even rubbing sidepods isn't going to get you any flak, it's racing.

And the karting is an intensely competitive sport, if you're running .5 of a second slower, you're holding someone up. If you're a full second off, then the fast guys ARE going to try and get around you as quickly as possible.
You're not going to get run off the road, but you have to be able to take the heat before you can stoke the fire.

tumblr_ll9y11CVYd1qj76g1o1_500.gif

A bit of push and shove is racing. Anyway, it is a shame that you are quitting.
But I guess there is always a time to step up and out of karting. That will be 2015 for me.

Bit nervous for C&D's now. I might not be in the class I wanted to be in :/

Last edited:
Here in holland we doesn't push that much and i have never heard someone saying that i need to push more

I've been told to be more aggressive in my racing but not to push. Pushing is fairly frowned upon.

Australasian C&D Grade Titles this weekend. I'll give you all the run down on how it went on Sunday night. Bit nervous though. Probably going to be wet and miserable. :ill:

Went out for the first time in 8 months on Thursday. Finally moved up to senior, got me some more power :D. Practice day with 15 minute sessions for Cadets/prokarts and Juniors/Seniors, really well run. Managed to clock up 115 laps in just over 3 hours, and i'm feeling the effect now :(. Got a blister on the palm of my hand from where I was gripping the wheel, not nice :lol:

I got binned today into some wet grass and a tyre wall, and I can tell all of you that it wasn't a nice feeling 👎 .

Back