KitKat And site

• Thread starter Grayfox
  • 36 comments
Australia
Australia
I_Grayson_Fox_I
has anyone had issues with the site and android 4.4?

When randomly typing any key you press does doing weird things and it is only on this site.

eg
waaaggghwaaaggghwaaagggwaaaggwaaagwaaawaaaawaaaaawaaaawaaawaaawaawaawaw

Hitting backspace does nothing but make it worse.

I know that the mobile site runs as smoothly as the middle east on my LG Spectrum, but I'm not sure if it's the phone or the site's issue. It won't let me copy, paste, and it doesn't autocorrect words (big deal on a phone). Also, when you click on a word to edit it because you misspelled it, it will put the cursor three or four lines above where you wanted. It runs slower than my grandma and I've tried doing everything I can think of to fix it. There are multiple other issues but I can't think of anymore ATM. Luckily I only need to use the phone for GTP on Mondays and Tuesdays usually, but it's still extremely frustrating.

Not sure if it's related, and like I said, not sure if it's the site's problem or the phone's, but I thought I'd rant anyways. ;)

Btw, other sites work fine. Or at least what few sites I go to on my phone.

My Xperia Z is on 4.2.2 and it does the same thing, so it's not a Kit Kat problem. I have to get it to stop by killing the WYSIWYG (which doesn't work anyway) and putting it in basic text mode. Then the randomness described in the OP stops.

I have always had that problem with chrome for Android (GTP11 and GTP12). Every now and then Firefox does it, but closing the keyboard and opening it again generally helps there.

I don't have a Android 4.4 device to test this on, but I think Android in general has some serious issues with the rich text editor. My advice would be to disable the rich text editor on your device using the wrench/paper icon (or in your account preferences) until I customize the code to disable the advanced editor by default.

I know that the mobile site runs as smoothly as the middle east on my LG Spectrum, but I'm not sure if it's the phone or the site's issue. It won't let me copy, paste, and it doesn't autocorrect words (big deal on a phone). Also, when you click on a word to edit it because you misspelled it, it will put the cursor three or four lines above where you wanted. It runs slower than my grandma and I've tried doing everything I can think of to fix it. There are multiple other issues but I can't think of anymore ATM. Luckily I only need to use the phone for GTP on Mondays and Tuesdays usually, but it's still extremely frustrating.

Not sure if it's related, and like I said, not sure if it's the site's problem or the phone's, but I thought I'd rant anyways. ;)

Btw, other sites work fine. Or at least what few sites I go to on my phone.
All of those things you mentioned seem to be directly related to the post editor - how does the phone handle other pages on the site, such as the home page, or forum directory pages, or other pages which don't have the rich text editor embedded? I did all my testing with the new site on a first-generation Samsung Epic 4G. It's quite slow and obsolete, yet all of the pages load quickly on it with the rich text editor disabled.

It seemed to do a lot better with the rich text editor turned off. It still wouldn't autocorrect, but it would let me paste and pick where I wanted the cursor to be and it ran a lot faster.

I don't have a Android 4.4 device to test this on, but I think Android in general has some serious issues with the rich text editor. My advice would be to disable the rich text editor on your device using the wrench/paper icon (or in your account preferences) until I customize the code to disable the advanced editor by default.

It seemed to do a lot better with the rich text editor turned off. It still wouldn't autocorrect, but it would let me paste and pick where I wanted the cursor to be and it ran a lot faster.

Worked for me to; not sure how it became so bog-slow in the past two weeks, but whether I used Chrome or the standard browser in Android 4.x, it seemed to be extremely frustrating for any post requiring more than five words.

Disabling the rich text editor worked well, thanks for that!

Guys, I've done some more research into this issue and have made a few changes.

To those of you who have reported problems with Android, could you re-enable the rich-text editor to see if there is any improvement in page speed? I'd be particularly interested in how your LG Spectrum runs now, @xXKingJoshXx.

Guys, I've done some more research into this issue and have made a few changes.

To those of you who have reported problems with Android, could you re-enable the rich-text editor to see if there is any improvement in page speed? I'd be particularly interested in how your LG Spectrum runs now, @xXKingJoshXx.

I'm typing this out on my phone right now. Still doesn't autocorrect but everything else seems to be good! :D

On my side (Nexus 4 running 4.4), typing is very slow. Also, and I don't believe it happens elsewhere on my phone, some words are disappearing after I type the following word. It's hard to tell which is at fault, here, GTP, Kitkat, Chrome or the keyboard (in my case Swype).

I will try the 'no rich-text editor' workaround.

The forum software developers have confirmed a bug affecting Nexus and Android 4.4 devices.

They've supplied me with updated code which should resolve - or at the very least, improve - the issue. I've rolled out the changes here, so if all of you reporting issues could try out the full editor again, please let me know what you find.

Let's see, if I write a fairly long sentence made up of words of different lengths, it feels a lot better than last night indeed. I can tell it's a lot more responsive, yes. Obviously it needs more people to confirm this but the user experience on my side is greatly improved. Well done the devs! And thanks @Jordan , for looking after us so well...

I'll see how it goes

ururufjfydgjfjfydgdjfjfydgjfjfydjfjfyjfjfjfjjfj

Nope, Still does that wierd thing where you get repeated entries when typing.
Back spacing just adds more to it.

Was going to type "Will report any issues"

Sorry, @Grayfox, I should have been more specific - the issue I mentioned pertains to typing speed for mobile devices, not that issue which you are experiencing with random characters. It sounds like a bug in the keyboard's software, so you'll probably have to wait for it to be discovered and fixed by the browser developers.

I am using a new keyboard software(swift key)

While I do not get that random letter thing which is good.

When you start typing and hit enter to go to a new line.
It wont go to a new line.

This is most common when quoting

At times there are issues when back spacing where it doesn't delete

Seems this forum software does not like stock android.

Let me check. I've just reinstalled SwiftKey on a (edit: non rooted) Nexus 4 with Kitkat 4.4.4. Writing a post seems to be working fine. Swiping, typing and using the word prediction of the app...

Deleting seems to work as well.

I am using a new keyboard software(swift key)

While I do not get that random letter thing which is good.

When you start typing and hit enter to go to a new line.
It wont go to a new line.

This is most common when quoting

At times there are issues when back spacing where it doesn't delete

Seems this forum software does not like stock android.

Adding a new line after a quote is also fine. My only issue is the word prediction based on my swiping.. :)

You may want to try on another website to confirm where the issue comes from, as there are a lot of variables in your equation, even though I am not heartlessly dismissing your suspicions.

Let me check. I've just reinstalled SwiftKey on a (edit: non rooted) Nexus 4 with Kitkat 4.4.4. Writing a post seems to be working fine. Swiping, typing and using the word prediction of the app...

Deleting seems to work as well.

Adding a new line after a quote is also fine. My only issue is the word prediction based on my swiping.. :)

You may want to try on another website to confirm where the issue comes from, as there are a lot of variables in your equation, even though I am not heartlessly dismissing your suspicions.

When you add a quote the cursor starts at the end of the quote tag.

When I hit enter it looks like to goes to the next line but when you start typing it goes back to the end of the quote tag.

I use my phone on other forums, websites and it is fine.

It was fine on this site when it had the older software.

Will see if i can find a good screen corder software to see what is really going on.

I cant see how the phone being a nexus 5 can cause issues.

When you add a quote the cursor starts at the end of the quote tag.

When I hit enter it looks like to goes to the next line but when you start typing it goes back to the end of the quote tag.

I use my phone on other forums, websites and it is fine.

It was fine on this site when it had the older software.

Will see if i can find a good screen corder software to see what is really going on.

I cant see how the phone being a nexus 5 can cause issues.

Trying the same thing. Fine here...

What older software are you talking about? Because if you mean another version of your keyboard then the issue is probably the keyboard. Try to uninstall then reinstall SwiftKey.

By the way I still prefer Google keyboard... :P

Best way to record your screen on Kitkat is by using a PC and adb but it takes a bit of time to set it up at first. If you're interested, send me a pm...

It's always done that for me on mobile too. Swiftkey, TouchPal, Samsung default keyboard, Sony default keyboard; Android 4.1.2, 4.2.2, 4.3, 4.4.2; the old Sony, the new Samsung...

I believe it even did it on my Droid 3, but I'd have to check to be sure.

OK.

I use firefox

Well I'm now using Firefox and SwiftKey together, I just have inserted a quote and pressed Enter to carry on and everything seems to be working fine, still. It would have been easier if I had reproduced your issue.

Even if I delete words, everything is fine.

I just can't make it not work
I use firefox

Same with Google keyboard, everything looks fine on Firefox... I'm running out of variables...

I've been having trouble. When I hit a key, sometimes it goes haywire and spams the message. For instance:

"Hello, how are you?"

Will sometimes be:

"Helllllo. How areee you toddday???"

I only experience it on this site.

I only have one problem on my phone. It is impossible to delete emoticons, before posting, editing...nothing happens. :grumpy: It gets annoying, so I just don't use them when I'm on my phone.

(My phone is the Samsung Galaxy S4 running KitKat. I'm using the Samsung keyboard.)

Back