Many visual bugs since update 1.26

• Thread starter Daniel55
  • 33 comments
Romania
Romania
Since update 1.26 the game has many visual bugs on ps5 (don't know how it's performing in ps4).

 The cars have a lot of pop in now (in the past only some cars had this issue, but now almost every car has something that pops in when you're very close to the car). See videos below for examples:

Look at the suspension

Look at the diffuser

At night there seem to be a lot of downgrades, especially if it's raining. Steam/mist effects are very low res now, the ai cars' headlight reflect light on very short distances, the light reflected on the asphalt from the reflectors/spotlights has a very low fps etc. See videos below for examples:

Low res steam effects

Headlight reflection on short distances

Low fps for reflected light from spotlights + low res steam/mist effect

Headlight reflection on short distances + low fps for light reflected on asphaltic from spotlights

Weird reflections of the braking lights

Also, the reflections of the headlights in the mirror seem to have a weird/small res box in which the reflection is happening and the scenery/trees look to disappear faster now.

I hope PD solves these issues in the following updates because the game looks pretty bad now in some circumstances and especially at night.

Edit: if you're watching on a mobile device the effects might look better thanks to the smaller display, but on a tv they look worse

Last edited:
It's practically GT Sport 2.0 for ps4 so don't expect anything better on ps5.

It's definitely not a next-gen game just because of the minimal graphic differences between both consoles and the only noticeable difference is the loading times and higher resolution.

The cars look great, but the surroundings of the tracks and particle effects are from the last generation.
Nothing really breathtaking these days.(except car models)

Not the case at all. No downgrades found.

I've been watching closely since every other patch on PS5. This has been the same since forever.

I'll look at your videos now

edit: all of the instances the OP posted, have been in the game since launch. Some were actually improved, like the hail from the ground when it's raining. Another thing that was improved was the reflections on the ground.

They aren't low-res, they look like that because they run at Half Rate, which means they look kind of sluggish like that. Reflections on the ground, and on the hood when in cockpit view run at half rate.

Now the reflections on the roof/hood cam run at normal rate, but at low-res.

To end this post, no downgrade was found. Not yet at least, only improvements (very small ones)

Forgot to mention the LOD, PD uses InstaLOD, a third party LOD Transition solution, another game that uses it is Modern Warfare II. It just looks like that, instantly the model will change to a more detailed one, and also this has been the case since launch. One of my biggest pet peeves on the game since launch, stuff like custom wings on AI cars will always pop-in.

Last edited:
Were these issues before the update tho?

I've been watching closely since every other patch on PS5. This has been the same since forever.

I don't remember the steam/mist effect to be that low res. Also, the reflections from the spotlights definitely didn't have such a low fps and the pop in for car parts is present for many cars now. I played the game a lot, but since 1.26 these issues are more visible/frequent

I don't remember the steam/mist effect to be that low res. Also, the reflections from the spotlights definitely didn't have such a low fps and the pop in for car parts is present for many cars now. I played the game a lot, but since 1.26 these issues are more visible/frequent
All cars had the pop-in since launch. Some cars have more visible parts like wings, diffusers, other have it like the manufacturer logo pops in.

Again, I have been closely watching if they downgrade it like GT Sport was downgraded. They haven't yet, all those issues you presented were very much present before. And the mist effects are actually improved since 1.20, before that they looked kinda low-res, and lacked the "solid" fidelity. They looked more transparent and glitched when they first arrived.

It's practically GT Sport 2.0 for ps4 so don't expect anything better on ps5.

It's definitely not a next-gen game just because of the minimal graphic differences between both consoles and the only noticeable difference is the loading times and higher resolution.

The cars look great, but the surroundings of the tracks and particle effects are from the last generation.
Nothing really breathtaking these days.(except car models)
I beg to differ. How much better do you want it to look, within reason on a console in 2022? GT7 already makes the PS5 beg for mercy on a wet track at dusk in a 24 person race. Same with replays in the rain, where certain shots can tank performance in the low 20s.

This game is using and maximising the performance of the PS5, perhaps you would fare better with the PC, where there is infinite scalability, instead of your unrealistic expectations for a console.

All cars had the pop-in since launch. Some cars have more visible parts like wings, diffusers, other have it like the manufacturer logo pops in.

Again, I have been closely watching if they downgrade it like GT Sport was downgraded. They haven't yet, all those issues you presented were very much present before. And the mist effects are actually improved since 1.20, before that they looked kinda low-res, and lacked the "solid" fidelity. They looked more transparent and glitched when they first arrived.
I know there used to be lod issues since launch, but for me they seem more visible now. I didn't have problems before with this, i mean they were visible, but not like now, they seem to pop in way closer now (one of the cars that used to have extreme lod issues was the gr.3 r8 with the roll cage).

Also, the light reflections of the spotlights are very low fps now, I've never noticed this before. Overall at night the effects look worse for me. Again, they were not perfect before, but after this update, at least for me, they look worse.

I beg to differ. How much better do you want it to look, within reason on a console in 2022? GT7 already makes the PS5 beg for mercy on a wet track at dusk in a 24 person race. Same with replays in the rain, where certain shots can tank performance in the low 20s.

This game is using and maximising the performance of the PS5, perhaps you would fare better with the PC, where there is infinite scalability, instead of your unrealistic expectations for a console.
I think he means the engine is pretty much the same. There are no big improvements/changes, especially for the graphics engine. Think about it like the difference between GT6 and GT Sport, where the engine was overhauled.

Because the game is also on PS4, the engine is pretty much the same, with the ps5 only improving the performance of some aspects. It's not like an engine built/upgraded to be used only for the ps5, where you can make major changes in the code.

I think he means the engine is pretty much the same. There are no big improvements/changes, especially for the graphics engine. Think about it like the difference between GT6 and GT Sport, where the engine was overhauled.

Because the game is also on PS4, the engine is pretty much the same, with the ps5 only improving the performance of some aspects. It's not like an engine built/upgraded to be used only for the ps5, where you can make major changes in the code.
I think you can certainly improve the game graphically in certain areas, such as the environments and the background objects. From what I read the longer a console cycle is, the more ‘tricks’ developers learn to trick the box into doing things it’s not powerful enough to do. I suppose we could see more of that later down the line, especially when they eventually drop support for the PS4. But in terms of the overall look of the game, I think the cars already look as good as they can, it’ll be interesting to see if they can enable real time RT when racing, but their probe reflections they are using to compensate already does a fantastic job I think. You can literally see your racers reflection in the cockpit when driving in certain cars.

Last edited:
I think you can certainly improve the game graphically in certain areas, such as the environments and the background objects. From what I read the longer a console cycle is, the more ‘tricks’ developers learn to trick the box into doing things it’s not powerful enough to do. I suppose we could see more of that later down the line, especially when they eventually drop support for the PS4. But in terms of the overall look of the game, I think the cars already look as good as they can, it’ll be interesting to see if they can enable real time RT when racing, but their probe reflections they are using to compensate already does a fantastic job I think. You can literally see your racers reflection in the cockpit when driving in certain cars.
Thr cars defined look very good (although some lod models look worse than others while racing).

The biggest problem is, as you said, with the environments. But, while you're right saying that the more time they have with a console, the more they can squeeze the performance out of it, keep in mind that if the engine has limitations, even if you try to make it as good as possible, you won't be able to do so because of its limitations. If you look at gt sport or gt7 on ps4, you'll see that the ps5 version has more trees/vegetation and improved effects. I think the environments can look better only if they drop the ps4 support and upgrade the engine for the ps5 and that'll probably happen with gt8.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

What about tire smoke? When I first got the game I was smoking the tires a lot, we had a blast and then it seemed to just go away. Now you really have to be spinning the tires a long time to smoke ‘em.

this wouldnt happen if there were using a nativ ps5 engine. The ps5 is far away from its limits. The overcooked ps4 engine is beyond its limits and thats why we have lod problems only 30fps reflection in cockpitview etc. These popins on cars in front are ugly and they wasnt there on release. Is saw these popins first after patch 1.19 then they fix it but they got never back to release state. They downgraded the ps5 version to match online the ps4.

Last edited:
this wouldnt happen if there were using a nativ ps5 engine. The ps5 is far away from its limits. The overcooked ps4 engine is beyond its limits and thats why we have lod problems only 30fps reflection in cockpitview etc. These popins on cars in front are ugly and they wasnt there on release. Is saw these popins first after patch 1.19 then they fix it but they got never back to release state. They downgraded the ps5 version to match online the ps4.
I can’t say for sure but idk remember first loading up the game and thinking wow this looks so good. In comparison to project cars 2 it was night and day. i loaded up PC2 the other day and came back, gt7 still looks better but I was just thinking it didn’t look at drastic of a difference then I remembered. would they really dial graphics back to make it so we can game with ps4? I’d prefer to just choose to play with ps5 players only if that was the case that they have actually rolled it back some.

What about tire smoke? When I first got the game I was smoking the tires a lot, we had a blast and then it seemed to just go away. Now you really have to be spinning the tires a long time to smoke ‘em.
This was the only downgrade, and it wasn't technical, but an intentional decision. People were complaining about the Rally smoke and that they couldn't see anything on chase cam. So they did downgrade it, but then improved it somewhat. It's still not close to Launch Smoke.

Any other thing is placebo. The last time they changed stuff was 1.20. They have been steadily improving the graphics, except on the patch they gave us the 360 camera, that was the worst the game has looked, but even then it was IQ wise.

Changes to LOD transitions, pop-in and resolution of effects haven't been made.

I don't know how you can look at a comparison like this and not think something's gone wonky with the light reflections.

I don't know how you can look at a comparison like this and not think something's gone wonky with the light reflections.

nice comparison! I presume it's a bug, we may have to keep an eye on this. It definitely changed. I hadn't tested it yet at Spa, at Tokyo it looks the same and I use that to watch reflections.

It looks like the rate of reflections is bugged/or they have slowed it down, made it more jerky...

Honestly we can only wait for 1.27 to see

@hawkeyez

You see it right. It isnt that impactfull like it was on release.
I hope for a split of both consols and a 2.0 version but i guess bevore that happen Pd announce Gt8 😫

@hawkeyez

I hope for a split of both consols and a 2.0 version but i guess bevore that happen Pd announce Gt8 😫
All I know is in comparison, we (racing friends) were all saying I don’t think I could go back to project cars 2 due to the graphics alone, it’d be a huge downgrade in graphical experience. I booted it up two days ago, and it definitely isn’t as far apart as I remember.

im getting sick and tired of developers not finishing a game before release and then dialling it back, or changing it. I get that it’s nice to fix with updates but so many times it breaks the game. Call of duty updated a game once, took out an entire zombies map. It was there, you just couldn’t play it or your system would hard crash.

Anyone remember Call of Duty Blackout? For about two months that game was incredible, then the graphics went to **** and the servers were laggy as hell. I don’t care what anybody says, on release, it wasn’t laggy, the graphics were good and you could hit your target. It’s like the servers were nice and fresh and all was good. Same happened with Battlefield 1, in the beginning you aim you shoot you hit and kill. Fast forward a few months, forget it. Servers laggy as hell. Ruined the game.

Now here we are with GT7 visuals getting dialled back, people are losing engine sounds, for the first time ever my game was laggy in the menu screen! Push left to select something, took a few seconds. I had to reboot it three times before it would get past the GT logo with the spinning circle to fix the problem.

At this point I’m like, let us roll back to the initial release version with everything else fixed. LEAVE THE GAME ALONE IF YOU CANT UPDATE IT WITHOUT SCREWING IT UP.

@hawkeyez

If they announce GT8 in the near future for “PS5 only“… the only way I’d buy that is if they gave me all the cars for free. I won’t be trying to earn all those cars again. Still far away from owning all the ones I want in GT7!

Last edited:
If they announce GT8 in the near future for “PS5 only“… the only way I’d buy that is if they gave me all the cars for free. I won’t be trying to earn all those ****ing cars again. Still far away from owning all the ones I want in GT7!
I don't think that's gonna happen because collecting/buying cars is part of the progression in the game. Personally, I wouldn't really like that. Starting woth a slow car and then tuning it or buying faster cars is something associated with the game, so having all the fast cars unlocked from the start doesn't make too much sense. I'd rather have better car prices and event payouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that's gonna happen because collecting/buying cars is part of the progression in the game. Personally, I wouldn't really like that. Starting woth a slow car and then tuning it or buying faster cars is something associated with the game, so having all the fast cars unlocked from the start doesn't make too much sense. I'd rather have better car prices and event payouts.
Well then they could just give you the option to play it that way if you want. Like a separate campaign mode. Honestly I’d rather them just release track after track after track and add cars. No reason to be buying a game, like Racin Lei mentioned, maybe a GT7 2.0 version for PS5 users I’d they’re purposely dialling things back so everybody can play together. Or figure out some way to have only the ps4 users dialled back and give us hat we paid for.

If they announce GT8 in the near future for “PS5 only“… the only way I’d buy that is if they gave me all the cars for free. I won’t be trying to earn all those ****ing cars again. Still far away from owning all the ones I want in GT7!
This will not happen. Pd never let us use the savegame from 7 for part 8. I guess we are more or less stuck with what we have right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will not happen. Pd never let us use the savegame from 7 for part 8. I guess we are more or less stuck with what we have right now.
Of course they wouldn’t. They did an update that severely limited payouts, said they were sorry and then upped the payouts again but keeping them quite a bit lower than what they initially were. What are they? The government? Haha

its like gas prices, jack them way up, lower them to ten cents a litre higher than they initially were and everybody’s happy.

PD, crank those payouts way down then bring them up by 33% our players will feel acknowledged and be happy… not.

edit: all of the instances the OP posted, have been in the game since launch. Some were actually improved, like the hail from the ground when it's raining. Another thing that was improved was the reflections on the ground.

They aren't low-res, they look like that because they run at Half Rate, which means they look kind of sluggish like that. Reflections on the ground, and on the hood when in cockpit view run at half rate.

Now the reflections on the roof/hood cam run at normal rate, but at low-res.

To end this post, no downgrade was found. Not yet at least, only improvements (very small ones)

Forgot to mention the LOD, PD uses InstaLOD, a third party LOD Transition solution, another game that uses it is Modern Warfare II. It just looks like that, instantly the model will change to a more detailed one, and also this has been the case since launch. One of my biggest pet peeves on the game since launch, stuff like custom wings on AI cars will always pop-in.
If you still think the game wasn't downgraded in the latest patch, watch this comparison:

Lod pop in

Older video (not mine)

In the first video, you can clearly see the exhaust on the r8 and the black clips on the trunk of the lancer spawning when you're much closer now. In the 2nd video, just as the race begins, the black clips on the lancer are already spawned nad they don't disappear and at @3:15 you can see the exhaust of the r8 spawning when you're further away from the car.

Also, as others have posted in some replies (and in my original post) the reflections of the spotlights have lower fps now.

If you still think the game wasn't downgraded in the latest patch, watch this comparison:

Lod pop in

Older video (not mine)

In the first video, you can clearly see the exhaust on the r8 and the black clips on the trunk of the lancer spawning when you're much closer now. In the 2nd video, just as the race begins, the black clips on the lancer are already spawned nad they don't disappear and at @3:15 you can see the exhaust of the r8 spawning when you're further away from the car.

Also, as others have posted in some replies (and in my original post) the reflections of the spotlights have lower fps now.
This is true also. But was it in this patch?

So far, we have confirmed lod transitions have been adjusted (to make it pop-in closer) and IMO the reflection of the spotlights at Spa is a bug.

The low-res hail from the ground was there before.

I wanted to make a graphics thread to keep track of these changes but I forgot. They definitely changed LOD

This is true also. But was it in this patch?

So far, we have confirmed lod transitions have been adjusted (to make it pop-in closer) and IMO the reflection of the spotlights at Spa is a bug.

The low-res hail from the ground was there before.

I wanted to make a graphics thread to keep track of these changes but I forgot. They definitely changed LOD
I think the changes have been made in this patch because i haven't noticed this before (and I've seen some people on yt also complaining about the 1.26 update). I haven't noticed the lod popping in so bad in any of the previous updates.

I think the changes have been made in this patch because i haven't noticed this before (and I've seen some people on yt also complaining about the 1.26 update). I haven't noticed the lod popping in so bad in any of the previous updates.
Can you link me to the yt comments? I'm trying to compare now that you have showed me proof.

It seems like environment pop-in is the same. I have tested Tokyo 1.00 from MotoGamestv video and just made the same lap with the same conditions.

However, cars have more pop-in now. Hope PD fixes those mistakes.

I thought it would improve since launch and not get worse...

Spa's lightning looks like a bug, no way it is supposed to look that ugly

Can you link me to the yt comments? I'm trying to compare now that you have showed me proof.

It seems like environment pop-in is the same. I have tested Tokyo 1.00 from MotoGamestv video and just made the same lap with the same conditions.

However, cars have more pop-in now. Hope PD fixes those mistakes.

I thought it would improve since launch and not get worse...

Spa's lightning looks like a bug, no way it is supposed to look that ugly
Unfortunately i didn't keep track of the comments (will post the video here if i find it, but i think it was from motogames or another racing oriented channel).

Environmental pop-in is the same i think, as you said. I didn't notice anything different.

The lighting on spa ia a bug definitely, it wasn't there before.

I also think the reflections of the headlights from ai cars have a shorter distance now (previously they would illuminate the environment on higher distances), but I'm not entirely sure about this.

Back