Mazda 3 Super Taikyu Race Car Coming to Gran Turismo 7

• Thread starter Famine
  • 56 comments
I wonder if it will be Gr,4
Im Out Morgan Freeman GIF

lets hope thye add some good races for it? I wonder if it will be Gr,4
From the very article you commented on:

Further images of the document revealed that the car will be known in game as the Mazda3 Gr.4, and will therefore join the existing Mazda Atenza as an available vehicle in the Gr.4 category. It will be available in both the ST-Q white livery and the gray Mazda Spirit Racing livery we’ve seen introduced on other Mazda vehicles in the game.

Based on photos taken by people in attendance, the car we're going to get in GT7 appears very similar to the Super Taikyu car, just with a much bigger wing than the SuTai car. I don't know if the SuTai car and the Mazda3 Gr.4 will be the same car; I'm finding it very difficult to imagine a diesel car being in Gr.4, much less be competitive—the Atenza Gr.4 is garbage even with a peaky engine. Maybe with its much wider stance and pronounced aero, it can find a place in Gr.4 à la the Mégane Trophy '11.

Mazda has always been extremely weak in Gr.4. Personally, I don't think the Mazda3 will change that status quo. I'd much rather have a RX-Vision GT4, but the 3 is still very cool to have as a fan of the brand.

Mazda has always been extremely weak in Gr.4. Personally, I don't think the Mazda3 will change that status quo. I'd much rather have a RX-Vision GT4, but the 3 is still very cool to have as a fan of the brand.
I thought the Atenza Gr.4 was the beast ever since GT Sport days, pretty much THE meta Gr.4 car? Unless I am remembering wrong.

I thought the Atenza Gr.4 was the beast ever since GT Sport days, pretty much THE meta Gr.4 car? Unless I am remembering wrong.
I don't know about GT Sport, but in GT7, the Atenza was super-meta on release, then they nerfed it in the first BoP adjustment - it was still good since it was AWD, but clearly behind the WRX/155/GT-R. Then when they nerfed all the AWD cars at the end of the year it became bad.

I don't know about GT Sport, but in GT7, the Atenza was super-meta on release, then they nerfed it in the first BoP adjustment - it was still good since it was AWD, but clearly behind the WRX/155/GT-R. Then when they nerfed all the AWD cars at the end of the year it became bad.
Yeah the Atenza was perfect until it was nerfed , super op in gts.

That makes sense, thanks for elucidating.

As Nakano has already helpfully pointed out, the Atenza Gr.4 was OP in Gr.4 at GT7's launch, but that was solely due to BoP giving it unethical straight line speed. It never drove well, even in comparison to other AWD cars in Gr.4 like the GT-R and WRX. Long story short, it cannibalised tyres. It has power, but it still gets left for dead by the GT-R. It felt like it had the cg of a big, tall diesel block. It doesn't turn. The gear ratios were whack. Clicking in the right paddle felt less like upshifting a car and more like disassembling a running engine. A bone stock Amemiya FD with racing tyres would wallop the built to spec racecar, 5 speed stick shift and all.

It was never half decent in GTS. I screencapped an end of season result of Kokubun Ryota, a.k.a. Akagi_1942mi back when he signed for Mazda. In it, he did only 1 Gr.4 race, presumably for the hell of it. All his points came from Gr.3 races.

The Mazda3 Gr.4 might remedy some of these issues, but nothing beats having a low, aerodynamic 2 door sports coupé with a gasoline engine as a base for a racecar.

Does anybody know if this Super Taikyu car was AWD?

Either way, glad to see Mazda wants more brand recognition in the game.

Based on photos taken by people in attendance, the car we're going to get in GT7 appears very similar to the Super Taikyu car, just with a much bigger wing than the SuTai car. I don't know if the SuTai car and the Mazda3 Gr.4 will be the same car; I'm finding it very difficult to imagine a diesel car being in Gr.4, much less be competitive—the Atenza Gr.4 is garbage even with a peaky engine. Maybe with its much wider stance and pronounced aero, it can find a place in Gr.4 à la the Mégane Trophy '11.

The wing seems to be based on the Mazda3 TCR's wing.

Does anybody know if this Super Taikyu car was AWD?

Either way, glad to see Mazda wants more brand recognition in the game.
As far as I know from watching S-Tai, it's FF like their earlier Axela(Mazda3) diesel entry. The details of the Mazda Spirit Racing S-Tai cars(including cars in the lower ST-5 class) are a bit lacking.

Hooray, I guess? Another racing car I'll virtually never use.

I do have to say I am incredibly surprised that Mazda's Group-whatever cars are all decidedly not Miatas.

PD need to make better use of the content they already have in the game to improve the single-player experience.

A FWD only Gr.4 series would be much appreciated. They could even play around with BoP for a more faithful touring car experience, ie 300-350bhp, 950-1100kg. FWD Gr.4 cars are a little unwieldy when trying to BoP against full-on sportscars with closer to 400-450bhp.
It's always easier than creating new car models.
This is why PD need to make use of the 80's/90's Group A road cars. In Group A the bodywork and aero had to reflect the road car model. All PD need to do with the R32 GT-R, RS500, M3 Evo, Supra, AE86 (and probably a few others!) is model race interiors and update specs to Group A.

Last edited:
The main thing with Gr.4, it's pretty much been Super Taikyu since GT Sport. I can't see the Groups being split into sub categories. So glad for Custom Races though.
It's just funny PD have made Gr.4/TCR FF only GT Sport Daily races. Yet, haven't bothered to utilise their own features anywhere else.

Latest Posts

Back