Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
Northern Ireland isn't a country.

Actually, if you want to get into it, Northern Ireland is a country. You wouldn't have a problem calling England a country, would you? Northern Ireland is one of four countries that form the sovereign state of the United Kingdom.

Actually, if you want to get into it, Northern Ireland is a country. You wouldn't have a problem calling England a country, would you? Northern Ireland is one of four countries that form the sovereign state of the United Kingdom.

Thanks for quelling this one straight away.

British drivers don't race under individual state licences, it's an all in one 'British' racing licence.

Incidentally, Bertrand Gachot doesn't ascribe a nationality to himself, he considers himself a 'European'. His racing hemlet is based on the flag of the EU.

Let's not get too technical here. You guys fully well know I was referring to sovereign states. Yes, Northern Ireland is a "country", but just by name, not by the popular definition of the word. By that very same token, one could make the claim that Pedro de la Rosa and Marc Gene have Catalan nationality but race for Spain. But you really wouldn't.

And no, England isn't a country either.

Let's not get too technical here. You guys fully well know I was referring to sovereign states. Yes, Northern Ireland is a "country", but just by name, not by the popular definition of the word. By that very same token, one could make the claim that Pedro de la Rosa and Marc Gene have Catalan nationality but race for Spain. But you really wouldn't.

And no, England isn't a country either.

We could take this to the Britain thread if you want, but they are countries. They are what are known as constituent countries which make up a sovereign state. Similar to the way that Germany, France, Spain and even the UK itself make up the European Union.

There are a lot of grey areas about it though. Some people like to erroneously refer to Wales as a principality. The Principality of Wales hasn't existed since 1542. 'Prince of Wales' is an honourific title, not a position of power. The Queen is still the head of state.

The answer is Bertrand Gachot. Born in Luxembourg; raced for Belgium and France.

Well, it's 5 am here, and my first duty is to confirm SagarisGTB as the winner (jolly good 👍), and head off any more talk of gray areas. Our job is to start with a mystery, then bring it into the full light of day. :)

My next duty is to enjoy today's TV racing schedule, and perhaps dabble a bit myself at Grand Valley.

Keep up the good work.

Respectfully,
Steve

This year, the F2012 features a pull rod suspension on both the front and rear of the car. Before the F2012, what was the last F1 car to utilize pull rods on both the front and rear?

I know that Red Bull ran a pull-rod suspension on the rear for 2009, as for the whole car? Possibly the '92 Williams?

This year, the F2012 features a pull rod suspension on both the front and rear of the car. Before the F2012, what was the last F1 car to utilize pull rods on both the front and rear?

The Lotus 98T had pull rod suspension all around.

There have been cars more recent than the Lotus 98T with pull rods on both ends. Williams FW12 for example.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the most recent was the Tyrrell 020C. There haven't been any pull rods on the front (other than the A21 and PS01, who both had push rods at the back) since 1993.

I'll ask something else: What was the last F1 car to run an F1 race without the names of any sponsors or suppliers on the car itself?

The Red Bull RB3 at Silverstone in 2007? Not sure if Red Bull itself counts as a sponsor though.

My alternate answer would be the Honda at the same race, but that had tiny Bridgestone logos on the nose.

The honda RA107.

dfa24d3e6c0628c9064b-LL.jpg

From my searching it seems that for some races this car had bridgestone liveries on the nose but on some it didn't so I don't know whether it counts or not.

The honda RA107.

dfa24d3e6c0628c9064b-LL.jpg

From my searching it seems that for some races this car had bridgestone liveries on the nose but on some it didn't so I don't know whether it counts or not.

That's a show car. Race entries are required to have tire supplier logo, number and engine supplier name on the car.

This is the correct answer. All cars since have run with, at the very least, the name of the tire supplier (or just the Bridgestone B).

That's incorrect. The Minardi PS04 ran without any sponsors at the 2004 British Grand Prix.

d04gbr1038.jpg

Back