Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,183 comments
When did Tony D'Alberto make his V8 Supercar debut and who was he driving for?

When = What year and which race.

Let's see if we can get this going again.

Which team is the only team to win the British Touring Car Championship and the Formula One Championship in the same year?

The specific titles in question are drivers' titles. And for clarity, the question is about teams, not just manufacturers.

Last edited:
Correct!

In 1997, WilliamsF1 won the F1 title with Jacques Villeneuve in the FW19 and Williams Touring Car Engineering won the BTC championship with Alain Menu in the Renault Laguna.

Your turn.

Since the introduction of restrictor plates in 1988 how may drivers have won the Daytona 500 from the pole?

Here's a slightly different one.

Who are the only drivers to feature in every official video game containing the British Touring Car Championship?

Wow tricky one there.

I'll go with:
Jason Plato
James Thompson
maybe Anthony Reid?

Can't include Matt Neal as I know ToCA 1 didn't include independents.

2001 kind of makes it easy :P

Spot on, sir.

TOCA Touring Car Championship (1997)

James Thompson - Prodrive Honda Accord
Anthony Reid - RML Nissan Primera
Jason Plato - Williams TCE Renault Laguna

TOCA 2 Touring Cars (1998)

James Thompson - Prodrive Honda Accord
Anthony Reid - RML Nissan Primera
Jason Plato - Williams TCE Renault Laguna

TOCA Race Driver (2001)

Jason Plato - 888 Vauxhall Astra
James Thompson - 888 Vauxhall Astra
Anthony Reid - WSR MG ZS

One notable mention would be Tim Harvey, who did drive for JSM Alfa Romeo in 2001, but is not featured in the game. Matt Neal isn't in any of the games; he drove just twice for Peugeot in 2001, and their drivers in the game are Steve Soper, Carl Breeze and Aaron Slight.

Correct! A race in which a 0-stop strategy paid dividends in a race of attrition that went for the full two hours.

Not only that, but Mika Salo scored all of Tyrrell's final twelve points during 1995-1997, with Ukyo Katayama, Gabriele Tarquini and Jos Verstappen failing to score in the same period, and Ricardo Rosset & Tora Takagi scoring 0 points in 1998; Tyrrell's final year was the only year they failed to register any points as a constructor, excluding the controversial 1984 season.

Your turn, Fred C.

The Indonesian Grand Prix of 1993 was held over two races. Name the drivers on the podium for each race, the teams they drove for, the category the races ran under, and what was unusual about one of the cars.

Uh... I've never even heard of an Indonesian Grand Prix, so there's a good chance it might be a bike race.

Am I right in thinking that?

There was only two Indonesian Grand Prix for cars, one in 1976 and one in 1993. The 1993 races were held in an attempt to attract Formula One for 1994, unfortunately the Sentul circuit was judged to be too short.

The answers can be found fairly easily.

Last edited:
The Indonesian Grand Prix of 1993 was held over two races. Name the drivers on the podium for each race, the teams they drove for, the category the races ran under, and what was unusual about one of the cars.

Ok. I think I have every so here we go:

The Indonesian Grand Prix was run under Formula Brabham

Race 1:
1. Mark Larkham driving for Reynard
2. Paul Stokell driving for Reynard
3. Graham Watson driving for Ralt

Race 2:
1. Mark Larkham driving for Reynard
2. Paul Stokell driving for Reynard
3. Mark Skaife driving for Lola

All of the cars were running Holden engines except Tommy Soeharto's car. His only Holden engine blew up and he had to gain approval from the other drivers to use a Mugan-Honda engine.

Very close as you have everything except the teams correct. A hint for everyone, if you have visited the Wikipedia page the answers are only a click away.

Ok then. I didn't know if the chassis was the team as well ;)

Here's an interesting fact: When Nelson Piquet won back to back at the Japanese and Australian Grand Prix in 1990, his Benetton had no tobacco sponsorship on the car (Camel did sponsor Benetton in the past and the future, but not in 1990). When was the next time a car without tobacco sponsorship won a grand prix? I'll need the year, race, driver and team.

Last edited:
Ok then. I didn't know if the chassis was the team as well ;)

Here's an interesting fact: When Nelson Piquet won back to back at the Japanese and Australian Grand Prix in 1990, his Benetton had no tobacco sponsorship on the car (Camel did sponsor Benetton in the past and the future, but not in 1990). When was the next time a car without tobacco sponsorship won a grand prix? I'll need the year, race, driver and team.

Total guess with no research and ignoring the years before I started watching F1, Juan Pablo Montoya 2001 Italian Grand Prix for Williams, ahead of Ferrari who also had no [tobacco] sponsorship because of 9/11.

Johnny Herbert for Stewart Grand Prix, Europe 1999.

Main sponsors were Ford and Malaysia.

I haven't seen many questions posted recently so i got an interesting one for you all. Who was the first to describe the Nurburgring as the "Green Hell"?

Back