Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
In which NASCAR race did the ESPN crew stay silent for a few laps in memory of Ayrton Senna, whose fatal crash occurred hours earlier during the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix?
And as a bonus, who won said NASCAR race?

In which NASCAR race did the ESPN crew stay silent for a few laps in memory of Ayrton Senna, whose fatal crash occurred hours earlier during the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix?
And as a bonus, who won said NASCAR race?

It was the 1994 Winston Select 500 and the winner was Dale Earnhardt Senior.

I attended a sports race in 1962 in which the under 2 liter class was crushed by Jo Bonnier driving an 8 cylinder Porsche. What race was that, who won the over 2 liter class, and what car was he driving?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

I would like to apologize to everyone if i bought this up all of a sudden but i would like to reply to Dotini's question. I don't know if this is the correct answer but is it the 12 Hours of Sebring won by Jo Bonnier and Lucien Bianchi in the Ferrari 250 TRI/61?

I would like to apologize to everyone if i bought this up all of a sudden but i would like to reply to Dotini's question. I don't know if this is the correct answer but is it the 12 Hours of Sebring won by Jo Bonnier and Lucien Bianchi in the Ferrari 250 TRI/61?

Ha! Thanks for the belated response. I had forgotten all about this, and was surprised to see it pop up.

The answer: Northwest Grand Prix, Kent, Washington, USA. Overall winner was Dan Gurney in his 2.7 liter Arciero Lotus 19-Climax.

All the cars smelled of castor oil. That was the day I fell in love with racing.

Who was the shortest driver ever to compete in an F1 race?

Hint: It was neither Felipe Massa nor John Love.

Who was the shortest driver ever to compete in an F1 race?

Archie Scott Brown is the shortest man I know of who competed in a championship F1 race. He competed in a Connaught at the 1956 British Grand Prix at Silverstone, and was under five feet tall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Scott_Brown
Archie Scott Brown (although often shown as Scott-Brown, the name is not hyphenated) was born in 1927. As a result of German Measles during his mother's pregnancy, Archie was born with severe disablement to his legs and right arm. Tremendous determination and several operations meant that Archie was able to lead a normal life, although he never grew over 5'0" tall.

Good one, probably would have never learned about him otherwise.

Here's one that I think is mildly interesting (though perhaps a bit easy): As of the 2013 Indian Grand Prix, which F1 drivers have scored more pole positions in their careers than podium finishes?

Maybe it's time to bring this back.

Re: the previous question, Teo Fabi I know has more pole positions (3) than podiums (2).

Another bump because I do have a question.

Renault hold the record for most Grand Prix victories in one season with 15/16 in 1995. But one engine constructor won all the season's races twice.

Who am I talking about and which seasons were they?

Another bump because I do have a question.

Renault hold the record for most Grand Prix victories in one season with 15/16 in 1995. But one engine constructor won all the season's races twice.

Who am I talking about and which seasons were they?

Ford, 1969 & 1973

If we're talking 1950 Indy 500 then... I don't know but it was most likely powered by an Offenhauser or Kurtis Kraft engine.

Otherwise I'd go for Dan Gurney's Anglo-American Racers.

If we're talking 1950 Indy 500 then... I don't know but it was most likely powered by an Offenhauser or Kurtis Kraft engine.

Otherwise I'd go for Dan Gurney's Anglo-American Racers.

Let me be more specific, the first American auto to win a European Grand Prix. Just a hint, the race was pre-WW2.

Just a guess, was it Duesenberg at the 1921 French Grand Prix?
Re: the previous question, Teo Fabi I know has more pole positions (3) than podiums (2).
For what it's worth, and for the curious, the answers to that question are Teo Fabi, Jim Clark, Jean-Pierre Jabouille and, for now, Nico Hulkenburg.

Come on guys.

Who are the only two drivers to race with the number 0 on their cars?

Edit: A question regarding F1 only.

Years as well if you can.

Last edited:
Close, but no.

Your entire answer is half right for one of the drivers, but you're lacking the other.

Ah ok.

Damon Hill and Jody Scheckter then.

Damon in 93-94 and Jody in the Canadian and USA GPs in 73.

(I'm assuming that we can use the internet's full range to find something so specific.)

Back