Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
I'll take it, and get it back going again with an easy one.

Jenson Button set two records at the same race in 2011. What race did he set the records at, what categories were the records, and what numbers were associated with them? (Example format: At Italy in 2008, Sebastian Vettel set the record for the youngest driver to win a F1 race at 21 years and 73 days old.)

I'll take it, and get it back going again with an easy one.

Jenson Button set two records at the same race in 2011. What race did he set the records at, what categories were the records, and what numbers were associated with them? (Example format: At Italy in 2008, Sebastian Vettel set the record for the youngest driver to win a F1 race at 21 years and 73 days old.)

Canadian GP - the most pitstops (or at least trips through the pitlane) made on the way to victory with 6 (5 stops and 1 penalty); the slowest average speed on the way to victory - I can't recall the actual number without looking it up but I think it was around 40mph, as the 2 hour rain stoppage was included in the race time.

*V8 Supercars spoiler alert* (highlight for question)

Scott McLaughlin became the second driver to win a points-paying V8 Supercars or ATCC race for Volvo today. Who was the first, and in which year did he take Volvo's first win?

Hmm, could this be a Group A question? I think it might. Bathurst might have been counted as part of the 1987 WTCC calendar (obviously I'm not going to just look these things up), but I don't think many manufacturers apart from Ford, Holden, Nissan and maybe Jaguar or Rover have won the event.

In which case, if it's not the 1987 Bathurst 1000 then I would guess some sort of general ATCC race under Group A regs. A Volvo 240 in 1985?

Pffffff, I don't actually know. Was Godzilla a five pot or a four pot?

Neither: It was an Inline-6... As for the trivia question, I want to say Rickard Rydell in 1998? When there was a "Super Touring Car"-Spec Bathurst 1000 that was separate from the OZ V8 Supercar Series?

Both drivers are needed though, Rydell did put the car on pole for the race

It was the split between AVESCO and the ARDC over the race which gave us the Primus 1000 (V8SC) and the Super Tourer 1000

Bonus Fact: Rickard Rydell actually still owns the S40 in question

Rydell was with Jim Richards in the S40, Natt Neal was with Steven Richards in the Nissan.

I hope I've got that the right way round.

Nope. I was careful with my wording. Will Hoy was the first champion of the BTCC outright after 2 litre became the standard in 1991, but the year before a 2 litre class existed as part of a transition year from Group A.

Who was the winner of the category that year?

Frank Sytner?

Correct!

Sytner was the runaway winner of the 2 litre "Class B" cars ahead of John Cleland and Jeff Allam. Sytner actually finished 2nd in the overall standings, sandwiching himself between 1990 winner Robb Gravett and 3rd placed Andy Rouse in the Class A Sierras.

Nope. I was careful with my wording. Will Hoy was the first champion of the BTCC outright after 2 litre became the standard in 1991, but the year before a 2 litre class existed as part of a transition year from Group A.

Who was the winner of the category that year?

That had crossed my mind - I nearly asked you to clarify - but as I wasn't 100% certain I'd remembered Will Hoy as being the first Super Touring champion, and my knowledge of the 5 class years is pretty much nil, I figured I'd take a punt.

Roo
That had crossed my mind - I nearly asked you to clarify - but as I wasn't 100% certain I'd remembered Will Hoy as being the first Super Touring champion, and my knowledge of the 5 class years is pretty much nil, I figured I'd take a punt.

It was a good guess. 1989 was the last year it was run under the Group A system of four classes;

Class A - 2501cc-3600cc
Class B - 1601cc-2500cc
Class C - 1301cc-1600cc
Class D - Up to 1300cc inclusive

Anybody from any class could win the overall title without winning outright, because class points made up the standing for the overall title; Chris Hodgetts won the title twice in Class D machinery.

They decided to stop using this formula because the Sierra had become so dominant and ubiquitous outright. 1990 was the transition year. Just Class A, which consisted of Sierras and only Sierras, and a new "Class B" of 2000cc machinery. Gravett dominated Class A and won outright, with Sytner dominating the two litre class to finish second overall.

The two litre formula became the only standard in 1991 and exploded into the super tourers we hold so dear.

Don't get me wrong @Roo, this isn't a lecture aimed specifically towards you. Just that seeing as this is the trivia thread, I thought I would go into detail for the benefit of everyone. 👍

Back