Official GTP Online Racing Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Snaeper
  • 358 comments
trustjab
Then give feedback on it. Express your content or discontent. Thats why theres a thread to discuss it.

I know how a thread works... Considering my level of experience, as well as Wardez, we have done something right.

How about having the ability to Search from the Forum's first page? Example: searching for the OLR. It is rather difficult for anyone new to gtplanet, myself included. Or search "race series on fridays", etc.

I think it's safe to let series organizers run whatever schedule is most convenient to them. There's a point where too much planning and organization will hurt more than help.

As for the shared spec idea, it sounds great in theory, but after a while I feel like series based on similar concepts would end up feeling the exact same.

I have to agree with Evo7 here, the events we plan over at the ORDL factor in many things including time of day to race. Above all our events can vary from one off specials to 10 round championships. Trying to use a shared spec could also be detrimental.

I do think more needs to be done to arrange inter league/team events. We recently hosted an event against Powerhouse and apart from some attendance issues, it was a success. Perhaps an offical GTP sanctioned system could be utilised to enable teams to race each other and facilitate arrangements?

A single thread listing leagues that are recruiting would be nice, it would take care of a lot of the "im new and need a club to join" in the Club/League section, perhaps a sticky that is monitored by GTP admin?

I think a lot will depend on how GT6 handles setting up events online, points systems etc as every team uses their own system. Frustration has really kicked in with disconnects during events on GT5 and my hope is that this is resolved too.

GTP caters for everyone and covers pretty much everything we could ask for and I think I speak for everyone when I say thanks to all involved who bring us GTP.

Evo

Wouldn't be confusing at times what the day the race is.

Example: When TOCACC2 was on, on Friday. It was on Saturday for me because I live in a different time zone (AEST)

I know how a thread works... Considering my level of experience, as well as Wardez, we have done something right.

Your sarcasm isn't needed. Good for your 'experience', but others here have differing views than YOU and would like to see change or added features.

trustjab
Your sarcasm isn't needed. Good for your 'experience', but others here have differing views than YOU and would like to see change or added features.

Wasn't being sarcastic... I have said previously that its great this thread exists for views.

Or in plain simple language, improve GTP online.

We have to listen to people like Ross and Fox, they are racers. Without racers there is no series.

Aren't we all racers? Would you think that series organizers would be able to see both sides of the matter? Plus Ross and Fox are seasoned racers not new comers. Its a matter for all members and drivers, not just seasoned members and drivers.

Exactly... Some people only know one side. Some ideas in this thread are very good, others are over complicating.

Yes but there is at same time no need to alter vastly a already workable and highly effective system.
The system need to evolve, why are you so stuck on it staying the same way? These same thoughts didn't allow GT5 to evolve, it stayed in the GT5 Prologue age.

Though why can't you let evolution happen Furinkazen? The only person that make things difficult is thy self.

Zuel
The system need to evolve, why are you so stuck on it staying the same way? These same thoughts didn't allow GT5 to evolve, it stayed in the GT5 Prologue age.

Evolution is subtly tweaking, not ripping it to shreds. I have been around racing series since march 2011 and not seen people saying "racing series are out of date". Evolution is one thing. But a full revolution isn't required... And I saw the previous edit...

How about having the ability to Search from the Forum's first page? Example: searching for the OLR. It is rather difficult for anyone new to gtplanet, myself included. Or search "race series on fridays", etc.

To expand on my post, I have several guys who won't come to GTP because it's "a nightmare to navigate or find anything". Imho, the interface/format of GTP needs a little work.

As far as leagues/series, keep it simple & let directors format their league with a Catagories section in order to find a GT Series, LMP, Spec, Stock, Tune, Mix. Just my thoughts on leagues.

Again, what about Search and/or interface? Ease of navigation. :scared::ouch:

GT5 was rushed. A game isnt the same concept as what is being discussed here. But things could change on this site to make it more inviting for the novice and more intuitive for the regular. No need for a complete overhaul, and most arent suggesting that.

How is improving the thread, race quality in the series, growth, ripping things to shreds? And who said these are large or to large of steps? The whole form is not being changed the the series and some other areas from my understanding.

I was not always a racer. I came here like everyone else, a complete noob, crashing off at every other corner. Would it have been a good idea for me to join other new members and race with them? Maybe, maybe not. I personally don't think you can learn anything from someone with the same experience level as yourself, only from those who know better can teach you.

As far as evolution goes, you can only evolve if the conditions let you evolve. If the designers want to expand the game then it can evolve further if not then evolution will stop. The problem with GT5 is that it has not evolved for some time now, therefore things stagnate and eventually you run out of different types of championships to participate in and series participation drops off.

PD need to look at sites like GTP and "point" people to its direction and expand the online experience for new comers. It’s a two way thing. Where GTP support PD and Sony by putting up sites like this one, basically propping GT up for free, then PD needs to reciprocate the favour and send them to sites like this one.

It’s not all about GTP reorganising things it’s about PD helping themselves too

Personally I think the whole thread is overcomplicating things to the N'th degree.

If it is not broke...................

Zuel's covered pretty much most of my thoughts on this, but I wanted to say that you guys are acting as though we want a total makeover to the forums or the way we think series should be run, it's not about that.

It seems like you guys are making your mind up on all this too quick, skimming through and seeing long walls of text and instantly assuming all of it's just overly complex just because of it. It's not the case for most of what people are talking about here. There are a couple of posts, of course, that are scoping way beyond what's possible, but those people are just tossing in their dreams, if you get me, it's not about them thinking they know better.

We're discussing ways to evolve the on-line racing aspect of GTP, better for series organizers, current members and new members. A better way to find a series of liking, promote events in a much clearer form, improving race quality for all the series which will increase participating drivers.

People are going to get revamped about racing, drifting, rally, time trails, sport car track (SC) days/ racing or find a series that off ball. A number of new series and old series alike are going to resurface. People are going to be joining GT Planet after GT6 in released for that GT Planet is the #1 form to find out almost everything there is to know about the Gran Turismo title. And a large number of those new members are going to be looking to race. And if the racing thread portion along with the series involved things may not work out to well. This is why Snaeper went to Jordan to open this discussion.

Jordan and the board members are going to make sure things will be ready. We must do our part to give suggestions to make it a easier transition. As well make sure we're ready for the influx. We only got a few good suggestions to make the thread better, we need more though. We also need to find away to make the race quality more inviting so all the series can grow. You can form or have group of people form and develop a series, and it turn out to be one of the most sot after series to join. But if you can't keep drivers in slots it may or may not fall apart. Just because fine work was done, it wont flourish if people don't stay. GT5 should have evolved along with other things, though it didn't happen. GT6 should be this evolution if we allow it happen the correct way. The matter is which series will be while to stay in the days of GT5P/GT6 or evolve with a new outlook with GT6?

Yeah, for next week's thread this will be a lot more clear, what we aim to accomplish from the discussion I mean. I believe we sort of got off on the wrong foot. What we want to figure out right now is what's most important to everyone in this section of the forums, and what most needs improvement. After we get those points cleared and settled, we move on to the little things in the following weeks' threads.

You're spot on though about what you're saying about needing more constructive criticism on how the forum can better support series, racing, and be easier for people/less daunting to search though. There's absolutely no reason for people to be scared here, everyone has their voice. The people saying "if it ain't broke" are talking like the current situation we have here is ideal. Well, I just gotta say, even if you can only think of one little thing you'd like to see that would make things better for you, guess what? It is worth asking for and discussing.

No one here is saying its "broke". This is a contribution thread on ideas to better this site in the racing series section. I think showing a few different things in the thread title or having those options when opening a new thread is a good idea. It'll help newcomers and regulars determine what kind of racing, members and cars are in a certain series.

Exactly.

Yes but there is at same time no need to alter vastly a already workable and highly effective system.

Again, the majority doesn't want a total revamp at all, but what you're saying is still important to remind people of so they don't go too crazy into dreamland :D

Well, I was gonna save this for next weeks' thread, but I just wanted to now since you've said this. What do you think you could do better on your threads? And what do you think I could do better in mine? I feel like mine are too long and I've always worked to condense them. I also don't like the whole "let's reserve 5 posts and edit different sections into each one" anymore, it's just clutter. Also! I hate huge pic's of cars in the series xD, not that you do that. Your threads are good, but I feel like they don't flow well enough in terms of intuitively going from category to category.

I have to agree with Evo7 here, the events we plan over at the ORDL factor in many things including time of day to race. Above all our events can vary from one off specials to 10 round championships. Trying to use a shared spec could also be detrimental.

I do think more needs to be done to arrange inter league/team events. We recently hosted an event against Powerhouse and apart from some attendance issues, it was a success. Perhaps an offical GTP sanctioned system could be utilised to enable teams to race each other and facilitate arrangements?

A single thread listing leagues that are recruiting would be nice, it would take care of a lot of the "im new and need a club to join" in the Club/League section, perhaps a sticky that is monitored by GTP admin?

I think a lot will depend on how GT6 handles setting up events online, points systems etc as every team uses their own system. Frustration has really kicked in with disconnects during events on GT5 and my hope is that this is resolved too.

GTP caters for everyone and covers pretty much everything we could ask for and I think I speak for everyone when I say thanks to all involved who bring us GTP.

Evo

That could be cool... but I don't know if it's necessary, again, it would go against my current ideal, which is bringing all the racing into as little channels as possible in order to make things more visible for everyone.

To expand on my post, I have several guys who won't come to GTP because it's "a nightmare to navigate or find anything". Imho, the interface/format of GTP needs a little work.

As far as leagues/series, keep it simple & let directors format their league with a Catagories section in order to find a GT Series, LMP, Spec, Stock, Tune, Mix. Just my thoughts on leagues.

Again, what about Search and/or interface? Ease of navigation. :scared::ouch:

This is exactly the right type of thing we should be discussing most in this thread, nice 👍

How is improving the thread, race quality in the series, growth, ripping things to shreds? And who said these are large or to large of steps? The whole form is not being changed the the series and some other areas from my understanding.

Right on

I was not always a racer. I came here like everyone else, a complete noob, crashing off at every other corner. Would it have been a good idea for me to join other new members and race with them? Maybe, maybe not. I personally don't think you can learn anything from someone with the same experience level as yourself, only from those who know better can teach you.

As far as evolution goes, you can only evolve if the conditions let you evolve. If the designers want to expand the game then it can evolve further if not then evolution will stop. The problem with GT5 is that it has not evolved for some time now, therefore things stagnate and eventually you run out of different types of championships to participate in and series participation drops off.

PD need to look at sites like GTP and "point" people to its direction and expand the online experience for new comers. It’s a two way thing. Where GTP support PD and Sony by putting up sites like this one, basically propping GT up for free, then PD needs to reciprocate the favour and send them to sites like this one.

It’s not all about GTP reorganising things it’s about PD helping themselves too

Yeah, good stance. GTP can help a lot, and that's all I expect, anything PD does is a bonus and having everyone able to engage eachother, discuss, and analyze the new changes. So this thread has yet another good use and result in that, bringing everyone together.

Last edited:
Make the calendar more prominant, introduce tags for threads such as "Open-Wheel", "Grand Touring", "Rally" and so on, similar to other sub-forums.(Console and PC gaming and Motorsport)

/thread

Edit: If I raced with people the same speed as me when I first joined, I wouldn't have a single championship to my name. I got faster by taking on drivers that were faster than me

Also, we need a mod sticky post outlining what people can and can't do with their posts as far as making multiple-post OP's, putting special characters in the thread title, rules about bumping, going off topic, what types of posts besides just racing series threads are appropriate/allowed, etc.

Just to make it clear, and so mod's have less work to do having to go in and regulate.

Also, just thought of something else. We need to make a label that shows how many "slots" are available for any given series. There's always been a problem with people assuming that all series only have 16 or so slots available. You know the guys that come in to your threads, you have an OP that makes it clear either that all spots are taken or that there's an unlimited amount of spots, so sign ups are open. Hell, even having "Sign ups" open in the thread title, people still come in and ask, " uhhh, are sign ups open?"

Well we can avoid this better by having the "Race status" prefix/label prominently letting people know the case at a glance.

So it would say something like, " Spots open" or "Sign ups open"

👍 Great idea, ITCC doesn't have a max. registrants number, for example, and I don't think PURE or SNAIL do either.

This is why along with others why I believe we need a GTP series league. A group of members who will be willing to dedicate a part of their series or help. And this is the perfect time to start working. The feeder series within my series will have seasoned drivers take part as well to give coaching before or after a event.It's up to the drivers on how fast they progress through the feeder to the Gran Sport. Then that driver can chose to in the series and continue to develop their skills work through the GT classes on to the Prototypes classes. Or they can venture off to any of the other series to cut their teeth. Either or they'll be ready.

We also need to make the thread better for new members and old alike. As I stated before we have a few good ideas on how areas and improvements. I feel that my idea will be a great improvement to the up coming race quality.

Last edited:
If the organiser already makes it an all-comers event, then the script surely writes itself. Fox for instance was one of the slower drivers when he started sportscar racing with me in the slower category. Yet he's still in that class, and now contending for wns against former PURE racers no less.

And I wouldn;t allow someone who's poor in a 300hp road going Corvette to be let loose in a GT40 for example. However, accelerating the help process at the same time wouldn't be an issue.

👍 Great idea, ITCC doesn't have a max. registrants number, for example, and I don't think PURE or SNAIL do either.
A a few dedicated series developed by members can help insure new drivers develop their skills at pace instead of being rushed to get up to speed. You and I know both to well that all the series are going to grow rapidly. Best be prepared.

Also, just thought of something else. We need to make a label that shows how many "slots" are available for any given series. There's always been a problem with people assuming that all series only have 16 or so slots available. You know the guys that come in to your threads, you have an OP that makes it clear either that all spots are taken or that there's an unlimited amount of spots, so sign ups are open. Hell, even having "Sign ups" open in the thread title, people still come in and ask, " uhhh, are sign ups open?"

Well we can avoid this better by having the "Race status" prefix/label prominently letting people know the case at a glance.

So it would say something like, " Spots open" or "Sign ups open"

This will help lower repeating post.

Last edited:
As I mentioned on Skype with Wardez tonight, I split things into multiple posts as it makes editing easier, you can just edit portions and you risk damaging less if you accidentally delete or do something wrong.

As I mentioned on Skype with Wardez tonight, I split things into multiple posts as it makes editing easier, you can just edit portions and you risk damaging less if you accidentally delete or do something wrong.

Control + Z. That undo button though.

Doesn't work whole time. Makes individual linking a lot easier with multiple posts.

There is the anchor tag, although I've never gotten it to work and there's no guarantee the new software will have it.

There is the anchor tag, although I've never gotten it to work and there's no guarantee the new software will have it.

Got to use it with the jumpto tag. Think of it this way, jumpto the anchor. Took me a day to figure that out, lol.

Back