Official GTPlanet Member of the Fortnight [Member of the Week]

A new Member of the Week draws ever closer, who will it be?

The only clue you'll get from me is it's something you're all likely to be familiar with, and I know I had plenty of fun presenting the interview to this person.

There's also going to be a couple of updates before the Rewind goes live on Friday, so keep an eye out for those.

OP has been updated and I would strongly suggest those interested in this feature give it a good reading.

Alright, so one of major points or perks to the community electing members for the Member of the Week feature is that the community can also ask questions as well.

Now because the actual reveal will always be with-held until the Friday of the Rewind itself, you'll all be tasked with asking more generalized questions and I'll pick the ones I like and apply them to the interviews as necessary.

Since this week's interview is already said and done, the concern here is focused toward next week's interview. So, let's have some questions.

Question:

What's the longest you've gone without logging onto GTPlanet since joining Years, months, weeks, days, hours?

Question :

Who (in your own opinion) is the most inspiring person / people here on GTPlanet ?

When it has eyes and a mouth...

g1333892372564079331.jpg

Apologies for the delay, but the Rewind is well onto it's way of being published.

I will say one thing: because this week's member is a bit of a blabbermouth (why I didn't foresee this is beyond my understanding :P) someone here, and you know who you are, knows who the inductee is.

Last edited:
I think I know who it is. :sly:
If it is who I think it is, it'll be my second lucky guess. :P

Ladies and gentlemen, give it up for the second Member of the Week, resident rum addict, and someone who's finally abandoned that overly-mechanical wheel known only as the Driving Force Pro: Small_Fryz!

1. First and foremost, you're officially the Member of the Week so what were your thoughts going into this and how does it feel to be recognized amidst the thousands of other members here?

I find it surprising but an honour that others would nominate/vote for me in these things and I hold a lot of respect for GTP, having been apart of it now for 10+ years, so I'll do my best to answer the following questions and with a bit of luck it will live up the the expectations of the people who picked me :lol:

2. What brought you to GTPlanet and what keeps you coming back?

I have no idea why I joined GTP originally, it was most likely to find some answers to a question or it had something to do with the GT3 Prize car list, I don't know... honestly I don't think one needs much of a solid reason to join a forum when they are 14yrs old :lol:.

The more important question is what keeps me coming back... I have/am been apart of quite a lot of different communities over the years but for some reason I always visit GTP and always come back, for me its where the whole online thing started and as such it is my internet home if you will. I may have other places I also hang out at, but if not for GTP then I wouldn't have found them in the first place. I really enjoy the atmosphere and I have made a lot of friends at the Planet, so that's why I always come back.

3. There's a lot to do around the forums so I have to ask: what sub-forums/threads do you frequent most often and why?

I spend probably 80% of my time in the Infield/Rumble strip clowning around and talking about nothing serious, sipping the odd rum and listening to youtube. Then 10% viewing the Motor Sports and Cars in General sections another 5% spent on keeping an eye on the racing side, occasionally partaking in something I fancy and the rest spread throughout the forum after either clicking on the wrong link or following a link from another person :lol:. Once GTA V comes out I will also spend some time in that section too (as I once did back in the GTA SA days).

I must say I can live a sheltered GTP existence since I don't make use of the "New Posts" feature and navigate solely based on subscribed sections displayed in my usercp, so if something goes on outside of that I pretty much have no idea unless others tell me.... Which can be a good or a bad thing I guess :lol:

4. What was it that sparked your interest in Gran Turismo?

I first played GT1 at a friends house when I was like 9 or so.... as a kid I had a SNES and played a lot of Stunt Racer FX and Mario Kart and here was this car game that was super awesome. Since that day I pooled my birthday and Christmas money and managed to con my parents into getting me a PS1 with GT1. I also remember saving every penny I had as 10/11yr old so I could buy GT2... It took me ages and I can still remember the smell of that disc :D. I've always loved racing games and GT was the natural progression as I grew up.

5. How did you come up with the name "Small_Fryz"?

Quote from me explaining the story :D
When I was younger (grade 3 or so) my nickname was small fry ( I was easily the shortest grade 3'er and probably shorter than 95% of grade 2 and some grade 1'ers). So when I was hunting for a Internet Alias many years back I decided to pick that and add the _ between the words and a z on the end of it as it sounded better :sly: As well as capitalise the S and F . Hence Small_Fryz was born. I have a hotmail, and lots of forum names and even a gmail account (that I dont use :lol: ) for Small_Fryz 👍, if you see that name its a very good chance its me 👍. Especially if it has the Cartoon Frys avator :lol: 👍

6. Controversial question time: Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport or both?

Gran Turismo for me, but I have a logical reason. I have no Xbox because Forza/Xbox has the worst wheel support in the history of the earth. I bought a DFP back in like 2005 then a G25 a few years later and had the Xbox supported either I probably would be playing both. I did get a chance to race Forza at a mates a few months ago and he had some lap wheel thingo setup, truth be told it felt like a great game and a lot of fun but I simply wont play it on a controller (I totally smashed him in my first race and he refuses to play it again :lol: ), really is a shame about the wheel stuff as I'm always keen to try other games. Back in 2006/7 I did a few years in the PC racing scene (GTR2, GT Legends, Iracing, Rfactor) and the fact I could swap between PC racing and GT, keeping all the same wheels pretty much set in stone my alliance to GT over Forza.

7. You're what some of us would call an "alien" in GT5, and the time I've raced against you was absolutely fun but is there anything you'd change on the racing front, and if so why?

If you think I'm an Alien you should see the guys I call "Alien" :scared:. I once raced Ti-Tech85 online (Arcade F40 @ Trial Mountain Reverse) and he was able to drop me at almost 1 second a lap with equal warm up time... and I had slip stream to try to help me stay in touch! Not to mention he was using no ABS and I had mine on.... scary....

Back to your question though, I would really welcome some standardized lobbies that are hosted by PD with combo's that are set in stone for a period of time. Something like the seasonals but online. This way you can go online knowing that xyz will be up and you can just jump in and race. Right now it takes ages to find a suitable lobby and then it takes further time to build a set car to adhere to the regulations.. only for that to be changed by the host willy nilly. So unless you setup something with some mates prior you have almost zero chance of jumping online and having some good racing quickly.

Everyone complained about the lack of customization in GT5P but then I think GT5 has gone too far the other way, with no lobby the same from one day to the next.

Imagine a constant 550pp room on Racing Hards that cycled through 5 tracks with a 15 lap race each time. Then over a period of a few days you can build your 550pp car and when ever you had a spare moment you know that this room exists and can jump straight in for some fun. Another at 450pp... another with Stock Road cars.. etc etc.. would only need to have a handful for it to be effective.

I think GT5 could learn a lot from the Rfactor community in this regard. Certain cars and regulations should always be featured and that would build GT5 a solid online base with guys running off on tangents from that if they wish, rather than the chaotic mess we have right now.

8. Other than setting blazingly fast lap times in GT5 what are you other hobbies?

I love to ride Dirtbikes, play Pool and Poker and I do my best to go Go-Karting when ever I'm close to a hire facility. Other than that the usual parties and hanging with mates and normal things one does at 24 :D. I also like to drink all kinds of different Rum :D

9. Are you driving anything special at the moment?

I own a 2008 VW Polo GTI as my personal car (good fun) and for work I drive a 2012 Mitsubishi Pajero Turbo Diesel. Nothing special in the scheme of things, but the Polo is still a lot of fun to throw around and I enjoy taking it for a Sunday drive. I also own a 2009 KTM 530 EXC Road registered Dirtbike, which is a great deal of fun too 👍

10. Where and when was your very first post here and how does it differ from your posting style used today?

It was back in the GT3 section... I was 14... I would hope that my posting has improved somewhat over time and that I have matured slightly :D. GTP was a different place back then with less than 10,000 members so the grammar and infraction thing was not policed like it is today, but personally I think the change is for the best and frankly I'm a little embarrassed by some of the dribble I was allowed to post back then :lol:

i found it not to hard to complete the first 3 or 4 TT's i did them last night in about 30min Then i got stuck on the lagua seca track and thought i would try again later. as for help save your ghost then load it up and compare it the the demo to see where you are going wrong. gl :)

11. If I recall correctly you're a bit of a salesman for IBM (I hate you)?

I used to sell IBM software indeed however these days (Past 15mths) I have been working as a salesman for a manufacturing company who make things like safety specs, goggles, gloves and hearing protection, of which I then present and sell to the coal mines in Central Queensland Australia.

12. Have you ever accessed the website during an unusual time and/or place?

I have been on GTP at all times of the day with various amounts of rum under my belt and have even been online in foreign countries :lol: Not one particular event jumps out at me to be honest... but that is because there has been too many to count. :lol:

13. What's the funniest thing you can remember from all of your time being a member here?

April fools joke 2005 sticks out... but there has been some pretty good times had in the Ramblings thread in the Infield with a few of us drinking ...err.... coke.. and what not.
I still think your own quote is one of the best I've seen too :lol:

14. Have you ever participated in any of the racing series' found here?

Yes, I have been involved in the Weekly Race Series since the early days in GT3 and have competed at various stages since, I have also had a few cracks at the Official Online Race Series too, but due to the hours the races run, competing in it is difficult at best (Damn the Australian time zone). The mod team involved with the running of the WRS in both the Time Trial and Online version do a fantastic job and it would rank as the most professionally run racing series I have seen anywhere and as such attracts the best drivers on consistent basis. I highly recommend it to anybody who wants to try their hand at some GT5 racing.

I have also been apart of 2 Board challenges that were run back in the days of GT3/GT4 (my last one being in 2006), I even captained GTP's team for one. All the GT boards from around the web (approx 14 in total) picked their best 10 drivers and we all drove 1 time trial each (10 events) and then tallied up the points at the end to find the "Board Champion". It doesn't mean a whole lot these days but at the time it was the biggest event we had as there was no Online leader boards or the likes, so the very best in GT came out to play.

15. Have you ever considered developing your own racing series, and if you have where can we find it?

No, I know exactly what kind of work needs to go into something in order to make it work and having had the best part of 8yrs experience across multiple games and platforms and the fact I never do things half-assed... I have never attempted to try, its far easier for me to just be the participant and enjoy one of the existing series that takes my fancy. So I will use this space to promote GTP's own WRS again :D.

16. Anything else you'd like to say?

Thanks to those who nominated myself and I appreciate the chance to post up my 5 cents. GTP has been a big part of my life for a very long time and I just want to thank all of those who have been apart of it for me, from the racing to the idle banter and chit chat and to the friends who have helped me with some key advice which has literally influenced my life over the years :cheers:

Last edited:
Hm. It was pointed out to me that I may have been the one who inadvertently snitched because of a certain exchanging of visitor messages (which I could delete and still blame Dion for).

Heh. Oops. :lol:

Congrats, Dion! I must admit, GTP would be a very different place without you! 👍

Back