Photomode Photographers Q&A #35 - nanabu

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 379 comments
Good read Zach, your history is quite interesting. And I certianly feel you have a good sense in your photography both edited and un-edited. Your fav shot choice is certainly great looking for an un-edited one. ๐Ÿ‘

I also agree with your points on photomode features. And thanks for lisitng me in your as an inspiration. :) ๐Ÿ‘

Hervรฉ, it was a real pleasure to read your answers. I feel sad you won't be able to give us some new pics before GT6... Hope you will comeback with all your talents (& more). Keep in touch my friend :)

Zach, the main words which came to my mind after reading your Q&A is modesty & humility. Thanks a lot for these very interesting answers :cheers:

Great inteview ziggy! ๐Ÿ‘

Thank you, Peter.. It was fun

Great interview DZ! I especially liked reading about your background. LA to CA, what a move. Sounds like you had a good experience in driving school. ๐Ÿ‘

Thanks, Primus (I love the band Primus.. not sure if you know of them)
The move there was epic.. driving through the Colorado Rockies and the deserts of the west for the first time was very "awakening" as to the beauty of this planet.. the move back was .. well.. unique.. 4 days of beautiful roadway in a 1990 Nissan 240sx ๐Ÿ‘:drool:.. 2 cats and no radio in that car ๐Ÿ‘Ž :grumpy:..and the driving school was awesome.. I drove a Corvette C5 for 3 days learning the ins and outs of car control and to top it off I met and chilled with James Bondurant..the grandson of Bob Bondurant who is quite the racer/drifter himself :crazy:

Great reading as always guys!

Thanks, nissanfanatic.. you should be in my inspirational list too!

GPR
Good read Zach, your history is quite interesting. And I certianly feel you have a good sense in your photography both edited and un-edited. Your fav shot choice is certainly great looking for an un-edited one. ๐Ÿ‘

I also agree with your points on photomode features. And thanks for lisitng me in your as an inspiration. :) ๐Ÿ‘

That small tid bit is a pinhole view of my life as I'm sure it is with the others(yours included) but it is nice to get a personal feel for the people we encounter on a daily basis and share such common interests so :cheers: to Lee for coming up with this thread

Yep, another great member interview...and i agree with these points too! ๐Ÿ‘

Thanks, Lee.. now if we could only get them to listen :sly:

Zach, the main words which came to my mind after reading your Q&A is modesty & humility. Thanks a lot for these very interesting answers :cheers:

It was truly my pleasure, Jeremy

:gtpflag:

That is an excellent read Driftin, and to be honest I never even knew that some of your shots were unedited.
They are that good.๐Ÿ‘

Life has been good to you so far, Ziggy. Glad the family and job have been wonderful for more than a decade. ๐Ÿ‘

GPR

This!

I love your LFA shot since the day I saw it... One of my all time favorites ๐Ÿ‘

1, How about an introduction?
Hello everyone !
My name is David Huang lives in Taipei city , R.O.C ( Republic of China)
My hobby are auto racing / travel / photography
I have worked in the computer industry for 12years
Ferrari Laferrari and Mclaren F1 are my favorite hypercar
Porsche Caymans is my current sports car
101.jpg

2, How long have you been taking photos in Gran Turismo?
Science GT5

3, What was the first picture you took in GT5?
It was the Mclaren SL ( looks brilliant )

4, And your first edit?
Mclaren SL

5, How would you describe your photography style?
I always try for realism and speedy

6, In your opinion, what makes a great photo?
Great Lighting, Strong contrast, Excellent composition and detail

7, What is your favourite car to shoot?
Peugeot 908, Ferrari Enzo ....other hyper cars

8, What is your favourite location to shoot
Monza, Tokyo R246, Nuburgring

9, What is your favourite picture you have in your gallery and why?
The Peugeot 908 on the green hell race way
Because looks colorful with endless raceway
9434547734_3f5bfde9dc_c.jpg

10, Do you edit your photomode pictures and if so what techniques do you prefer?
I use Photoshop tools add more contrast with car matel & glass parst

11, If you could change, add or remove any feature in GT photomode, what would they be?
-Remove :Interior views
-Add :More locations

12, Do you have any advice to share with the rest of the photomode users?
Try have fun with photomade and sharing your works with Gtplanet friends

13, Which GTPlanet photomode member or members inspire you?
bmxmitch, CCShaft7, Nbdesign

14, Outside of GTPlanet, Do you have a special photo, piece of art or anything else you've created that you would like to share to showcase your other interests and talents?

15, Finally, Who would you like to nominate for the next Q&A session?
CCShaft7..if he is willing and able

Last edited:
Nice interview you directly shared yourself. :sly: Too bad you don't have your first image taken and first edit on your hard drive.

Nice to hear more about you Hawk - I like your favorite picture very much as well. Good choice with CCShaft - can't wait to hear what he has to say. ๐Ÿ‘

Nice to hear more about you Hawk - I like your favorite picture very much as well. Good choice with CCShaft - can't wait to hear what he has to say. ๐Ÿ‘

+1
Your choice of fav' image is very original and impressive ๐Ÿ‘
Can't wait for CCShaft interview :)

Awesome read, hawk2201. Loving the sense of motion and colour saturation in your favourite shot. ;)

Hello ! Crooooooow ,Primus Ortus, Kodje,Fazerfan ,Giulietta73 ,GT-R ,driftinziggy

First of all would like to thank you for kind interest and responsed:)
I am really happy to sharing the same hobby with you and really enjoy all your brilliant works .๐Ÿ‘
And looking forward to reading your personal interview ...

Especially thanks for driftinziggy and leeislee kindly invited me to joint the Q&A thread :)

At last wish you have a very nice weekend

Hawk

My previous lover ,looks pretty isn't it?

6253499392_3b5d5c4e25_b.jpg

Just catching up on the last 2 or 3 interviews as I drop in on this thread from time to time....so insightful ๐Ÿ‘. And then "blow me down" I find myself nominated :crazy: thanks to hawk2201 ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ (Great interview by the way - I remember your 908 at the 'Ring first time round :drool:)

I am willing and able (and honoured) to spill the beans so to speak :scared: ...will try and get my typing skills up n running in time for this weekend (hopefully).

Amazing thread Lee ...in case I haven't already said that :sly:

Just catching up on the last 2 or 3 interviews as I drop in on this thread from time to time....so insightful ๐Ÿ‘. And then "blow me down" I find myself nominated :crazy: thanks to hawk2201 ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ (Great interview by the way - I remember your 908 at the 'Ring first time round :drool:)

I am willing and able (and honoured) to spill the beans so to speak :scared: ...will try and get my typing skills up n running in time for this weekend (hopefully).

Amazing thread Lee ...in case I haven't already said that :sly:
Thanks mate, expect the official PM any time now!

CCShaft7​

1, How about an introduction?
Hello fellow ย‘photo-modersย’ , well my name is Darryl and Iย’m a 40 something (old-timer) GT5 enthusiast and all round average bloke that doesnย’t take life/work or gaming too seriouslyย….ie: I try to enjoy everything I do and have fun whilst doing it. Pretty much how I approach these forums and it appears many of you on here do the same so I fit right in perfectly.

Iย’m an Anglo-American born in Scotland (Mother/Scottish and Father/American) but have lived in England virtually my entire life. I am a Manager of a Furniture company that Iย’ve been with for 25+ yrs although Iย’ve always dabbled in Photography and all the genreย’s within its art form, even tip-toed around making a career of it (almost landing myself a job with a well known Photo magazine.....came so close). I always loved the old school darkroom techniques and still feel thereย’s a niche for that style of photography some still craveย…. Ansel Adams is my ย‘iconicย’ hero in this realm, I donย’t think the sense of achievement when producing the final image can be matched on its digital equivalent but Iย’m getting a bit nostalgic now so back on topic.

2, How long have you been taking photos in Gran Turismo?
Only since GT5 actually, I only dabbled with the gameplay of some of the previous versionsย….I have to say that I was never really into ย“Driving Gamesย” as such and only just by chance or luck that someone purchased GT5 for me as a Xmas gift, well after a week of solid Licence building and ย‘Eventingย’ I stumbled onto the Photomode soon after and was just hooked in completely by the results even with my mundane skills. Even better I found somewhere to showcase my efforts with like-minded enthusiasts and now here I am writing my biography.

3, What was the first picture you took in GT5?
5454935432_81933f5454_z.jpg

Virtually the first one I was confident enough to upload.... you can just see the potential can't you?

4, And your first edit?
5581176341_0ddd881ea4_z.jpg

A failed attempt at an HDR edit Still it taught me not to step in at the deep end after that and over the couple of years or so on GTP I've mellowed somewhat in my editing style.

5, How would you describe your photography style?
It swings with my mood sometimes.... can go for an all out assault on the retinas or subdue it with simple no mess straight-forward subtle details, in the main I like to try and tone down the contrast/saturation results the Photomode camera gives you.

In ย“real-lifeย” photgraphy I like to concentrate on line/shape/form and combine this with composition and lighting. In a nutshell I look for anything..even the mundane things we take for granted and try to shoot from an artistic perspective that makes an overall image somewhat surreal or interpreted in an unorthodox way.

In GT5 terms I strive for the opposite most of the time due to them medium we are using ย– Realism. Playing around with a bunch of coded algorithms and polygons on digital renders lends itself towards trying to fool the observer of what they are really looking at. I have failed much more than Iย’ve succeeded in this goal but always inspired by the ย‘worksย’ you guys/gals produce here to keep at it.

6, In your opinion, what makes a great photo?
The $1million question? Lighting and Compositionย…ย…Hand on heart Iย’d have to say that if you get a handle on these two aspects then any subject you shoot will look amazing. Black and White photography really does inspire me to view all my shot taking in this way in a way colour photography doesn't, I love colour photography but it can sometimes be a distraction from the two areas I just mentioned but that is just my humble opinion.

7, What is your favourite car to shoot?
LFA (most peoples fave), McLaren MP4, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X and ย…ย…wait for itย…ย….Art Morrison Corvette, I know you didnย’t expect that one ..haha. My current fave is the Mercedes SLR McLaren (19inch Wheel Option) '09 right now, getting a lot of 'face-time' with that one right now.

8, What is your favourite location to shoot
SSRX, Nurburgring, SSRX, Toscana, SSRX, Kyoto Shoren-in and SSRXย…ย…. Just fell in love with the lighting at Special Stage Route X and the landscape vistas, catch it at the right time and it has a dream like quality.

9, What is your favourite picture you have in your gallery and why?
I'll bend the rules a little here because it changes every week and I procrastinate and haven't updated my gallery for AGES.....sorry, Currently I'd have to say this one .....

9442326345_86420a67ce_z.jpg

.........for the main reason that I was totally happy that there was nothing more I could do with it, happens very rarely but this was one of those times.

I will always have a soft spot for this one though as I after editing it I thought "How you do that?". Still not sure to this day

6269191537_22f022f1fc_n.jpg

10, Do you edit your photomode pictures and if so what techniques do you prefer?
Yes....on old Photoshop CS4....will upgrade very soon though. I work with layers a lot, only filters I use are Blur and Noise then I just work on enhancing my images with curves/saturation/colour balance and so on. My tip: Stay away from that Sharpen - Unsharp Mask filter, I used to make the mistake of using it and it basically "breaks" your image with artifacts and dead pixels. There are other techniques if you delve deeper into Photoshop

11, If you could change, add or remove any feature in GT photomode, what would they be?
Longer Shutter speeds please, esp on track.
Ditch the filters - apart from the Monochrome ones.
Free up those locations where the exposure is locked for some unknown reason.
More movement with the roving camera.....like getting behind the barriers.
......and please do something about the Photo-travel locations that have a day-night cycle....20 secs or so of day and then within 5 seconds its middle of the night

12, Do you have any advice to share with the rest of the photomode users?
Apart from my little "sharpen filter" rant all I'd say is what ever your shooting and the techniques you are applying, regardless of result ensure that you are ENJOYING it. This alone will kick you along to experiment more and establish your own style and take on being a "Photographer".

13, Which GTPlanet photomode member or members inspire you?
Sounds like a cop-out but truthfully Everyone on these forums has given me a new way of looking at whats possible on GT5, my list would almost be endless so I will just give out some names that really stand out for me.

Kodje (Unbelievable realism you pack into your images), bmxmitch (where are you dude?), DarkR (same again?), SlipZ, NBDESIGNS, Nato777, Shaolinmasta, SMFan, Taiga, GT-R, Fido le Muet, Dolp, Moglet, Zambuca, nanabu, Raphaele, Croooooow, GPR, StrayShadow, Sixtoes (remember him?), Grand Prix (him too?) .....god I know I've forgotten loads, please forgive me but you know who you are. Finally leeislee for being the breath of fresh air that these forums needed from falling into the 'meh' realm of banality.

14, Outside of GTPlanet, Do you have a special photo, piece of art or anything else you've created that you would like to share to showcase your other interests and talents?
Watch this space ....currently building a portfolio of images I've taken over time and more on going. Hope to establish myself within a well known "Stock-Photo" community and start contributing for commercial purposes.

15, Finally, Who would you like to nominate for the next Q&A session?
Well I'd like to hear from nanabu if he has the time to share with us...... Finally thank you to hawk2201 for nominating me

Thanks Darryl ๐Ÿ‘

Great read that Darryl. You make a lot of great points. Oh, and thanks for the kind words mate, i appreciate it ๐Ÿ‘

Great interview Darryl and everyone before also. I am always on the look-out for the next artist's post. We all get a kick out of reading about you guys so take your time and write...a lot. No need to break leeislee's record (though I enjoyed every minute), he probably didn't sleep that night and missed breakfast too.

Great interview Darryl - I can't believe it's taken this long before you were nominated. :odd: It's also good to see just how many of us "old-timers" there are kicking around here in the photomode section. ๐Ÿ‘

A nice read this is, Darryl! ๐Ÿ‘

Great read that Darryl. You make a lot of great points. Oh, and thanks for the kind words mate, i appreciate it ๐Ÿ‘

Great interview Darryl and everyone before also. I am always on the look-out for the next artist's post. We all get a kick out of reading about you guys so take your time and write...a lot. No need to break leeislee's record (though I enjoyed every minute), he probably didn't sleep that night and missed breakfast too.

Great read Darryl!! ๐Ÿ‘

Great interview Darryl - I can't believe it's taken this long before you were nominated. :odd: It's also good to see just how many of us "old-timers" there are kicking around here in the photomode section. ๐Ÿ‘

:)๐Ÿ‘ Huge thank you to you guys, I'm so glad ( and relieved :scared: ) that you liked my little ol "Bio" :cheers: ..... tough to try and get in what you like to say without all the waffle :dopey:
I've enjoyed all the other's I've read on here so much and didn't want to let the side down :guilty:. Its great to get some sort of aspect of character and opinion behind the 'name'.

@Nato It is re-assuring that those of us who remember 70's music, B/W Television, 'Kipper' ties, full leaded petrol (Gas):yuck: and wasting 'paper-round' money on "OutRun" can still kick it with some of these young upstarts :sly: ............................ "now where did I leave my cod liver oil tablets?"

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

One of the most interesting read of the whole thread. I've at least taken the time to read your Q&A with the attention it deserved and it was a very good time :cheers:

I didn't know Ansel Adams and it was also a good moment to discover a part of his life and his contribution to the photography. Was also a real pleasure to watch his work :)

I totally agree with you about the sharpen filter, I still make this mistake sometimes (it's something like the dark side of the photography ;) ).

I really love both the pics you've choosen as your fav'. That LFA edit is incredible (and I still wonder "how you did that" too ;) ). But I prefer another MP4 pic of yours, this one :

A beautiful model, a superb composition, your usual soft light and mood and a very realistic appearance :drool:

And must say that I especially totally agree with that :

Longer Shutter speeds please, esp on track.
Ditch the filters - apart from the Monochrome ones.
Free up those locations where the exposure is locked for some unknown reason.
More movement with the roving camera.....like getting behind the barriers.
......and please do something about the Photo-travel locations that have a day-night cycle....20 secs or so of day and then within 5 seconds its middle of the night

If only Kaz could listen to you...

And thanks a lot for mentionning me as an inspiration, you are truly an inspiration to me, each of your updates is a real pleasure (but thanks to flickr to haven't have to wait for an update ;) ).

And now I'm waiting for the next to come, Nanabu has a very specific style (and I often love the result) and I'm sure his answers would be a great reat too :)

Very good read Darryl, I enjoyed that. Nice to know more about you, I've always appreciated your stlye and approach to photography.

Thanks for also naming me as an inspiration. Love that LFA pic btw, it certainly has some wow factor. ๐Ÿ‘

That is such a great read Darryl, and I agree with the points you have made regarding the photomode, and what makes a great photo.

You also produce some of the most amazing views on these threads, shots like the Mclaren set are just superb.

May it please continue.๐Ÿ‘

Back