Poll: Would you be happy with current standard cars in a PS4 Gran Turismo game?

• Thread starter Samus
  • 525 comments

Will you be happy with standard cars in a Playstation 4 Gran Turismo?

• Yes

Votes: 195 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 632 76.4%

• Total voters
No. They aren't. But let me expand on this a bit, since all you want to do is use mockies and are reluctant to reason things out.

Suppose we get a bit GT7 Prologue at E3 this year. Between SONY and Polyphony, who would you ascribe the most blame to? Because I can't see it being equal. One of them will be more definite that "This will be done."

Fact is though, you don't know. I don't know, you don't know, nobody here knows. We can all make assumptions but they will always be just that, assumptions.

Related question, does anyone know who owns the rights to "Gran Turismo"? if there was a giant disagreement tomorrow and Kaz wanted to break all ties with Sony, who owns the rights to the game? Him, or Sony?

Fact is though, you don't know. I don't know, you don't know, nobody here knows. We can all make assumptions but they will always be just that, assumptions.

Related question, does anyone know who owns the rights to "Gran Turismo"? if there was a giant disagreement tomorrow and Kaz wanted to break all ties with Sony, who owns the rights to the game? Him, or Sony?
Sony and not Kaz. Am I right? :D

No. They aren't. But let me expand on this a bit, since all you want to do is use mockies and are reluctant to reason things out.

Suppose we get a bit GT7 Prologue at E3 this year. Between SONY and Polyphony, who would you ascribe the most blame to? Because I can't see it being equal. One of them will be more definite that "This will be done."
You and I don't look at things the same way so you won't like my answer but I'll give it to you anyway. "Blame" has nothing to do with it. Being a free market capitalist to the core, I see only "what's best for the business" and there are layers upon layers upon layers to consider but I think you can boil it down to a couple of essential elements.

1. What will it cost to effectively leave GT6 behind and speed up work on GT7 (Prologue or otherwise) in terms of lost customer loyalty, lost reputation in the marketplace, future GT6 sales, future GT6 DLC sales etc?.

2. What will we gain from an earlier GT7(P) release in terms of sales$, gaining back our reputation for solid games, gaining an edge on the competition with an earlier release etc.

To me it's a no-brainer. GT6 was a failed experiment at banking on the continued loyalty of 10 million consumers on a last gen console with a massive install base. It's a dismal sales failure and any more effort put into flogging GT6 is mostly a complete waste of time. I'd have had almost all guns blazing on GT7 by January because it was as clear then to me as it is now, GT6 is dead in the water.

The only caveat is, I would do the most I could with the least effort, at continuing to pump out the content for GT6 to give the appearance of supporting the game, but only releasing the stuff that is finished or nearly so and can also be used for GT7. In essence, any new cars, tracks or features we need for GT7 we can continue to develop and release (some not all of course, you need some new stuff for GT7), while the core effort is on the GT7 engine.

I don't know if PD is capable of striking that balance because they've haven't done a good job of it in 2014. I'd also at some point issue an apology to the fans, saying they bit off more than they can chew, diplomatically of course without admitting fault or error, and then probably make all GT6 DLC free, and throw in a GT7 Loyalty Bonus of some to GT6 owners.

In short, I'd abandon GT6 myself, and wouldn't blame Sony or PD for doing so, it's not about blame it's about self preservation and survival at this point. Unlike you, I think it's full on panic mode at PD and Sony concerning their once bullet proof GT franchise and rightfully so. But it's got to be done right, with the "appearance" of caring about the fans and the franchise, and so far they are doing a terrible job at that.

PS2 models on a system that is far superior in terms of graphic quality would just a big middle finger to us all.

For me, I care more about how the game plays than how it looks, but that would just be unacceptable.

@Johnnypenso,

Wow! I should throw a gauntlet at you more often. :lol: That was pretty good.

While I've said similar things previously, I still put the blame on SONY, and if you think about it like this, it makes sense.

Kaz is a consummate artist. Very cultured, intelligent, passionate, not very worldly. One of the last people you would think of becoming money mad. A guy who gets depressed with every Gran Turismo release, always thinking he could have waited a month or two to include a few more goodies or make something better.

SONY is... well, SONY. A megacorporation which inevitably acts like a megacorporation.

Now, one of these two is likely to try and make GT6 work as advertised because their whole identity is wrapped up with the game, they see it as a platform with lots of potential, and they feel badly about essentially lying to the fans of the series about it. Their honor is at stake.

One of them is more likely to not give a carp and say, "GT6... yeah, that never happened."

GT6 came out a year too early and i doubt that was Kaz's fault.

I was happy with GT5, and could have easily waited another 11 months for a more complete GT6.

Standard cars in GT7 is completely unacceptable,we need to be done with standard cars and tracks for good,and if that means losing most standard cars then so be it even though most of my favorite cars are standard,I've come to a understanding that it is a nessesary evil to make the game better and I'm sure not having a livery editor is partly due to standard cars.

Standard cars in GT7 is completely unacceptable,we need to be done with standard cars and tracks for good,and if that means losing most standard cars then so be it even though most of my favorite cars are standard,I've come to a understanding that it is a nessesary evil to make the game better and I'm sure not having a livery editor is partly due to standard cars.

I believe livery editor could be used to make premium cars look like standards.

In which case, they might as well just keep the standards.

PD will get an even bigger backlash if they have standard cars on a PS4 title. It would be a huge slap to the face of GT fans and an embarrassment for PD to put cars into a brand new game which are two console generations old.

It would be such a loss to lose the unique cars. I understand that some like the "perfect" look, but, really, most of the gripe would go away if they had interiors.....

Now, I understand that many of the copies would be good to remove, but, really, the overall variety (which is what MAKES a GT game, for crying out loud!) would be horribly lost!

It would be such a loss to lose the unique cars. I understand that some like the "perfect" look, but, really, most of the gripe would go away if they had interiors.....

Now, I understand that many of the copies would be good to remove, but, really, the overall variety (which is what MAKES a GT game, for crying out loud!) would be horribly lost!
Yea it would suck tremendously but I can not see KAZ bringing over something like this to a new console,that would be a huge mistake,sooner or later they're gonna have to go,why not sooner?With GT7 rumored to come out next year I can guarantee you that it won't have 1,000+ cars 500-700 more than likely which means there will already be standard cars taken out,he really needs to prioritize what cars need to be in a racing game.

sooner or later they're gonna have to go,why not sooner?
Why do they have to go anywhere? Why wouldn't those old cars from the 40s, 50s and 60s go too? ;)

But more seriously, I think if PD are considering dumping Standards in GT7, which is entirely possible, I think there should be a compromise. As I posted in the Kaz Question section, why not make an optional install of the Standard cars? This way, if you want nothing but Premiums, you can have them, while we who like the Standards can have them, and everyone should be happy.

I mean, you wouldn't be upset if I had Standard cars on my game install, would you?

Why do they have to go anywhere? Why wouldn't those old cars from the 40s, 50s and 60s go too? ;)

But more seriously, I think if PD are considering dumping Standards in GT7, which is entirely possible, I think there should be a compromise. As I posted in the Kaz Question section, why not make an optional install of the Standard cars? This way, if you want nothing but Premiums, you can have them, while we who like the Standards can have them, and everyone should be happy.

I mean, you wouldn't be upset if I had Standard cars on my game install, would you?
As good as that may seen I don't think it's as easy as copying an pasting them over to a new console ,also what happens when you want to use your standard cars online?Will there be random invisible cars driving around or is it only limited to career mode?I just don't see PD doing something like that,if it was that easy I think more games would do it.

Don't forget the 30s ;).

In all seriousness, GT is akin to a car encyclopedia so those old cars have to stay for the sake of, well, PDs obsession with automotive history.

I think your idea of having the standard cars as an optional install is nice, but when you go online you'll probably see a blacked-out GT-R where a standard car should be (similar to how Forza does it whit it's Jetta when you don't have a DLC installed... or something and GT-R because PD.)

I think we just have to remember that this is 2014, quality in games is always (or should be at least) be increasing. Low-res textures and poor models have no place here (unless that's the art style a dev is going for). These standard cars attract too much time and attention from PD, time and attention that could've been better used on something else. PD keeping the standards, even as optional installs, would facilitate a large amount of criticism and backlash because it's 2001 assets in a game in 2014+, and let's not forget the standard tracks. I don't know about you but I'd hate to see my real car as a standard. Wouldn't you?

I still think it's funny that PD has standard interiors labeled as "simple" when they clearly have "none". It's the open top cars that deserve those "simple" tags, not "detailed" as there's noting "detailed" about a non-functioning gauge.

It would not bother me at all. Anyone who wants them all to be premium is an unrealistic graphics fiend.
How does anyone wanting regular quality cars being unrealistic?PD is being unrealistic with there car count,more cars equals more work for them which means more time that we have to wait for content,you wonder why all cars sound like crap?it's because there's so many cars that it's pretty much impossible for them to capture each and every sound for each car.You want a quality game you have to make sacrifices just like every other racing game.There's a reason why no other racing game have attempted to have so many cars.

Last edited:
How does anyone wanting regular quality cars being unrealistic?PD is being unrealistic with there car count,more cars equals more work for them which means more time that we have to wait for content,you wonder why all cars sound like crap?it's because there's so many cars that it's pretty much impossible for them to capture each and every sound for each car.You want a quality game you have to make sacrifices just like every other racing game.
yeah more cars more work. it would take forever to make each car into premium so its unrealistic unless they cut a large portion of the cars from the game.

I'm in the middle a bit with this one. Putting all the standards in, as they are now? No. If they put some standards in with premium exteriors, i.e ready for an interior to come later, then i'd accept those.

What are the chances of them doing that though? Why did they not do that with GT5/6? Likely because they never cared to, more interested in "1000/1200 cars" advertising.

what happens when you want to use your standard cars online? Will there be random invisible cars driving around or is it only limited to career mode?
It would probably handled the same way other games do it with the game data either on the disc to stat with in the case of cars, or shared via quick download in the case of maps. As an online shooter and war sim player I've experienced this before, having to wait while someone had a map downloaded to their temp folder. But those cars would probably sit in the install file or on the Blu-ray disc and load pretty quickly.

I don't know about you but I'd hate to see my real car as a standard. Wouldn't you?
I did for a while, didn't bother me a bit. Remember, I'm the guy who takes Photomode pics of Standard cars. ;)

True, there'd be a rather big chunk of GT's current car list gone, out of the window in one big swoop. And that's bad! I love many standards, and I do feel that they currently add a large amount of variety to this game. Like a something-for-everyone in a car game. It's beautiful and would be a shame to see it all gone D:

But, and let's look at this from a purely business view-point, is the whole "1000 cars" selling point as advantageous as it was back in GT5? Numerous reviews, and countless users all put forward this viewpoint of "no, it's not so long as half of those are pixelated PS2 messes".
What we have to remember is some standard cars date back to Gran Turismo 3, technically; a 2001 game. We're 13 years on. Surely these models must be limiting to many of PD's departments? How can you apply many commonly requested features on cars designed for older consoles with older ideas in mind?

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that GT is still a game, designed to make money. Is a GT7 going to do this if GT6 has already lost support from fans, and one of the biggest and easily-resolved gripes is left unattended for a second generation of consoles?

I don't know, really. I'm just a college student posting on a fan-site. But I can guess. :(

It would probably handled the same way other games do it with the game data either on the disc to stat with in the case of cars, or shared via quick download in the case of maps. As an online shooter and war sim player I've experienced this before, having to wait while someone had a map downloaded to their temp folder. But those cars would probably sit in the install file or on the Blu-ray disc and load pretty quickly
If this was GT6 we were talking about then yes I could probably see this happening,but again this is for the PS4 I'm sure they want to get rid of any extra work.

Back