Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
The logs detail everything. Look under the next gen section.

As for how it is done. Don't know. We don't test those versions as Sony and Microsoft charge for every update so SMS would go bust before even releasing the game if we got a build every day.

When the game dev engine creates versions of the game, it creates tham all at the same time. Unless you specifically see PC: at the front of a line (which there haven't been many of for a while), you can take it as read that the update automatically applies to all versions. As Haitch said above, if it has XB1:, PS4: or WiiU: at the front of the line, then it refers to that direct version of the game (usually it will be render code, or the way the CPU/GPU/RAM is used or addressed). The updates are kept in house, the console companies charge for each released update. So although the Next-Gen versions are updated on a daily basis, none of the updates are made available for the end user, so they are not charged.

Thanks to both of you for that. Very impressive. I hadn't noticed the "PC" moniker (as you said they don't happen so often) so I was wondering where consoles weren't mentioned it only applied to PC and consoles were perhaps updated later.

Thanks again.

Guys, what happened... half of the tracks seem to now be missing.

That must be an EA/T10 trick, take an existing feature/content out of the game, annoy gamers and put it in the next years edition back in the game and advertise it as a brand new feature. Or even sell it overpriced as DLC like T10 did with the Porsche cars ^^

Just kidding, you got the answer already, its a bug.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you for that. Very impressive. I hadn't noticed the "PC" moniker (as you said they don't happen so often) so I was wondering where consoles weren't mentioned it only applied to PC and consoles were perhaps updated later.

Thanks again.

The main reason why you don't see as many PC: or DX11: precursors, is because the majority of the PC render code has already been done in the early part of the development, and now it's a case of adding new features and refining them. Here is one from Monday when there was some major work done on how the DX11 instruction sets are addressed in a more ATi-favourable method which would be PC only (the XBone and PS4 have already had a similar system implemented, which yielded a 40% GPU performance increase), resulting in a 20% increase in performance.

Render:
Tweaks to reflection culling.
* DX11: MeshPrimitive profile flattening
* Adds support for compressing floats in interpolators.
* DX11: Tiny fix that reduces the number of contant buffer updates by around 1000 calls.
* DX11 Optimisations: Remove FX11 redundant SRV and Sampler state setting. Remove redundant common constant buffer pixel/vertex shader setting
* DX11 State setting optimisations: Early out and don't set constants with shaders that are null (shadows), Fix issue with zero sized constant buffers forcing a slow material path (shadows), Constant Buffer tracking reducing state setting, Full optimal/merged vertex buffer state setting.

Note the line precursor DX11:, this is for the PC render code. The first line is being applied to all versions.

Now today's log doesn't contain any DX11: updates, but there is a small fix for the PS4.

EDIT: BTW, something I know that will excite you guys, per-class scoring is being coded and implemented.

I was wondering; seeing I'm used to the superb track animations in Grid AS, are there extensive plans to add those and more crowds in the final development stage? The tracks in PCARS still look quite deserted atm hence my question.

I was wondering; seeing I'm used to the superb track animations in Grid AS, are there extensive plans to add those and more crowds in the final development stage? The tracks in PCARS still look quite deserted atm hence my question.

I could do without detailed crowds but detailed corner workers, flags, safety vehicles, and pit crews would be nice.

To each their own.. but having raced at Sonoma (Sears Point) a few times, I am used to huge racing stands being empty haha..

I could do without detailed crowds but detailed corner workers, flags, safety vehicles, and pit crews would be nice.
Especially now with the graphical power of next gen consoles, i think it would make next gen racing games stand out more if there's also more happening around the tracks, you hear the crowds and horns when you pass by, see birds and planes flying over or like you say; have marshals, pit crews, safety vehicles and such also animated to enhance the experience.

To each their own.. but having raced at Sonoma (Sears Point) a few times, I am used to huge racing stands being empty haha..
Difference is that in the virtual world you can be a popular racing driver! :lol: ;)

Especially now with the graphical power of next gen consoles, i think it would make next gen racing games stand out more if there's also more happening around the tracks, you hear the crowds and horns when you pass by, see birds and planes flying over or like you say; have marshals, pit crews, safety vehicles and such also animated to enhance the experience.

Difference is that in the virtual world you can be a popular racing driver! :lol: ;)
I think the crowd will change according to the career tier

Buiz4c-IUAAQsTe.jpg

Project CARS‏@WMDCars
Stay tuned on Monday for all to be revealed…

Lets just hope at Gamescom they have the setting on Sim, and with a proper wheel/setup. They're going to Gamescom though, right?

This is the last show before release and SMS need to redeem themselves after comicon fail. They better make it right with proper cockpits, ultra graphics, 4k triples and oculus rift to blow everyone away. Hardware makers can make a great commercial for themselves.

Some toy controllers and chase cam settings on arcade is not a way to go for this game...

I think the second car in that teaser is on the Indianapolis road course. That looks like the stands between turns 1 and 2 on the oval, which would mean it's at the end of the GP course lap.

Back