Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
I know, but I don't think there is anything to fear. There may not be enough time to program in everything little thing we would like, but there will be most of the features implemented on release, and the rest shortly afterwards.
Would you be able to spoil us on the talks on the WMD forum regarding the Player count for an online session? Is it final for a 16-20 range or is SMS trying to do 20+?

They still haven't confirmed that yet themselves within the community, let alone outside the organisation. As soon as we have anything that can be released, we'll let you know.

I know, but I don't think there is anything to fear. There may not be enough time to program in everything little thing we would like, but there will be most of the features implemented on release, and the rest shortly afterwards.

PD promised us a lot for GT6 and that it will come shortly after release. GPS track builder, new sounds and more... We are still waiting :lol:

Lets hope SMS will do it better.

@Sele1981
I understand your concern about the timing however I will compare the the build process to restoring a car.
At start you have a vision and the tools needed. You work away taking it part to the shell once the car is apart you then repair it and order any parts needed to be rebuilt. Once the chassis has been welded and parts start going on. The completion is very quick.
In project cars were now bolting the pieces on to the game each week. there are over a page worth of changes and additions to the game in each weekly update.
There will be with out a doubt a day patch but because of how the game is set they can continue updating features in the game on PC. once the game is complete those us who have picked to have our. Free game in the format of PC will most likely just have an update on release day.

Thing is, SMS actually want to make this game the best it can be, and not for it to be just a cash cow.
As optimistic as I am about this game, and I do believe they want it to be the best it can be, the ultimate motivation for all entrepeneurs is to make lots of money, that's what makes the world go around. The difference with SMS/WMD is that their market niche to make their boatload of money is quality first. I sincerely hope they make more money than they know what to do with with this approach and I will support it by buying all the DLC and whatever else I can so long as they deliver on the quality aspect of things as promised.

I know others are worried about the game being ready on Day 1, but personally I don't expect a full game on Day 1, even with the inevitable Day 1 update. I'm willing to wait for stuff like the online driver rating system and other key features, so long as they are delivered in a timely fashion, which to me is, all announced features in the game within 3 months or so. I make this allowance for SMS/WMD because it's a new game, a new team for the most part and they are sort of re-inventing the wheel here, taking a niche genre like sim racing and bringing it into the mainstream. Glitches and bumps are to be expected but I'll grow with it so long as the core of the game is good. Hopefully others feel the same way.

Many racing sim developers are forced to make design concessions to please publishers. A publisher may expect the developers to jump through hoops (unrealistic goals), and often the hoops have little to do with making a good game. The bottom line is profit for publishers whereas for many developers all they care about is creating a great game.
SMS is made up of many sim racing fanatics with a common goal of making their mark in the sim racing arena. It would be foolish to think money never enters the picture but that doesn't lessen their desire to excel in creating a great sim. A community funded project is new for the sim racing world, SMS has "less" pressure from external sources. I just hope the scope was just not too much of an undertaking, but I for one will give them the benefit of the doubt and I can accept the bumps in the road. I am sure many will jump to criticize if things aren't perfect on day one.

Note, today's update was 1.6 GB! Haven't had time to try it yet but things are really starting to come together.

Note, today's update was 1.6 GB! Haven't had time to try it yet but things are really starting to come together.

There are some great updates as far as the GUI is concerned, and some big gamepad changes that make it a lot better. What's surprising was the size of your update. The last two updates were 770Mb and 500Mb, have you missed some?

There are some great updates as far as the GUI is concerned, and some big gamepad changes that make it a lot better. What's surprising was the size of your update. The last two updates were 770Mb and 500Mb, have you missed some?
I suspect he has.
However looking at the build list all builds this week have been larger that 350mb and the last two over 500mb

Hmm, maybe but normally I update every day. It could be that I missed one.

today's update was 1.6 GB! Haven't had time to try it yet but things are really starting to come together.

Build 780 (01/08/14, Junior Member+)
Next-Gen:
* XB1: Increased immediate buffer sizes (removes rendering bubbles)
Bugfixing:
* Only allow race and simulate for todays date - AR-1984
* Showing "simulating" dialog for 2 seconds when simulating in calendar. - AR-1985
Render:
Tweaks to reflection culling.
* DX11: MeshPrimitive profile flattening
* Adds support for compressing floats in interpolators.
* DX11: Tiny fix that reduces the number of contant buffer updates by around 1000 calls.
* DX11 Optimisations: Remove FX11 redundant SRV and Sampler state setting. Remove redundant common constant buffer pixel/vertex shader setting
* DX11 State setting optimisations: Early out and don't set constants with shaders that are null (shadows), Fix issue with zero sized constant buffers forcing a slow material path (shadows), Constant Buffer tracking reducing state setting, Full optimal/merged vertex buffer state setting.
Weather:
* Added random weather
* Update forecast to include full 24 hours and fix retry bug.
GUI:
* Weather icon tidying
* Added time of day icons..
* Fixed up the advance button applink
* Removed round name from day view panel
* Weather hooks in for realtime weather forecast.
* Disallow simulation for time trial & free practice
* Fixed up lap position to increment during accelerated time
* Disabling the simulate button when a session is non-skippable
* Quads added to the calendar to denote TODAY and MY NEXT EVENT
* Added hooks to allow me to be able to put syncing race duration weather progression..
AI/Pitstops:
* Added filtering for PredictedTime parse
Career:
* Career Championships: Clio Cup - updated to set race sessions as non-skipable.
Vehicles:
* Formula B: Bug fixes
* Formula A/C: New export
* Ford GT40 MKIV: New export
* Ford Sierra RS500: New export
* RUF CTR3: Added licence plates
* RUF RGT-8: Added licence plates
* Ford Mustang Boss 302R1: New export
* Pagani Huayra: Added licence plates
* Mitsubishi Lancer: Added licence plates
* Oreca 03: Suspension animation runtime files
* Pagani Zonda Cinque: Added licence plates, tweaked cpit exposure
* Ariel Atom Mugen & V8: Fixed unweighted vertices on LODX & CPIT suspension
Tracks:
* Hockenheim: New texture maps
* Silverstone: UTC and snozebox merged , opened all garages, checked through collisions of QA2000 and QA2051, QA2043, dark smoothing/triangualtion issues on ground fixed, garagefloor csm addded
* Le Mans: Added some more floodlights around last chicane, added security fences and further fixes to conform the RL track better, enhanced lod distances of tyrestacks to avoid pop up, Removed crowds in not as safety area marked places

Next-Gen:
Bugfixing:
* Showing "simulating" dialog for 2 seconds when simulating in calendar. - AR-1985
Render:
* DX11: Tiny fix that reduces the number of contant buffer updates by around 1000 calls.
* DX11 Optimisations: Remove FX11 redundant SRV and Sampler state setting. Remove redundant common constant buffer pixel/vertex shader setting
* DX11 State setting optimisations: Early out and don't set constants with shaders that are null (shadows), Fix issue with zero sized constant buffers forcing a slow material path (shadows), Constant Buffer tracking reducing state setting, Full optimal/merged vertex buffer state setting.
Weather:
* Added random weather
GUI:
* Weather icon tidying
* Added hooks to allow me to be able to put syncing race duration weather progression..
AI/Pitstops:
Career:
* Career Championships: Clio Cup - updated to set race sessions as non-skipable.
Vehicles:
Tracks:
* Silverstone: UTC and snozebox merged , opened all garages, checked through collisions of QA2000 and QA2051, QA2043, dark smoothing/triangualtion issues on ground fixed, garagefloor csm addded
* Le Mans: Added some more floodlights around last chicane, added security fences and further fixes to conform the RL track better, enhanced lod distances of tyrestacks to avoid pop up, Removed crowds in not as safety area marked places

I wish I had access to pcars. I love this when you are a part of an alpha game and get updates frequently. I only have Assetto corsa and we only get tiny updates every 2 weeks. But, besides the last update, you can't really see any differences.

Next-Gen:
Bugfixing:
Render:
Weather:
* Added random weather
GUI:
* Weather icon tidying
AI/Pitstops:
Career:
Vehicles:
Tracks:

PD, this is how it's done.

:sly:

Does anyone know if the damage model applies to things outside of collisions. I'd expect mechanical damage to occur when coming together with a wall or another car, but what about mechanical failures not specifically related to large impacts? Does suspension damage happen if you're too aggressive on curbs? Will there be engine damage resulting from over-revving or transmission breakdowns during the course of a race? Things like that.

Does anyone know if the damage model applies to things outside of collisions. I'd expect mechanical damage to occur when coming together with a wall or another car, but what about mechanical failures not specifically related to large impacts? Does suspension damage happen if you're too aggressive on curbs? Will there be engine damage resulting from over-revving or transmission breakdowns during the course of a race? Things like that.
Yes to all that. Damage will be as realistic as possible.
Although I think there will be a setting to lower it if you want.

Does anyone still have info on the barriers yet? Because they're there for a reason, I mean, whats the point of having them there in the first place if they're hard as a guard rail. It's epic when Game devs put in the real life elements onto a race track. Gravel to slow you down (Simulated in the game), Curbing to give you some room for error (Simulated in the game), however the Tire Barriers (At the moment), Instead of catching your car and giving it less damage, in the game it does the exact opposite, gives the car a lot of damage, and bounces you off in another direction when you hit it. Also, does anyone know if wind will be simulated? If so, it should play a good role in Formula A

The update logs are fascinating.

I have a question about the published logs. Are they only published relating to the PC build? How is the concurrent developement of the PS4+ versions dealt with? Are some changes able to be easily "pasted" into the PS4 version? E.g Physics changes or car performance/setup/livery edits/menu and gameplay changes. How is that all handled?

The update logs are fascinating.

I have a question about the published logs. Are they only published relating to the PC build? How is the concurrent developement of the PS4+ versions dealt with? Are some changes able to be easily "pasted" into the PS4 version? E.g Physics changes or car performance/setup/livery edits/menu and gameplay changes. How is that all handled?
The logs detail everything. Look under the next gen section.

As for how it is done. Don't know. We don't test those versions as Sony and Microsoft charge for every update so SMS would go bust before even releasing the game if we got a build every day.

When the game dev engine creates versions of the game, it creates tham all at the same time. Unless you specifically see PC: at the front of a line (which there haven't been many of for a while), you can take it as read that the update automatically applies to all versions. As Haitch said above, if it has XB1:, PS4: or WiiU: at the front of the line, then it refers to that direct version of the game (usually it will be render code, or the way the CPU/GPU/RAM is used or addressed). The updates are kept in house, the console companies charge for each released update. So although the Next-Gen versions are updated on a daily basis, none of the updates are made available for the end user, so they are not charged.

Does anyone still have info on the barriers yet? Because they're there for a reason, I mean, whats the point of having them there in the first place if they're hard as a guard rail. It's epic when Game devs put in the real life elements onto a race track. Gravel to slow you down (Simulated in the game), Curbing to give you some room for error (Simulated in the game), however the Tire Barriers (At the moment), Instead of catching your car and giving it less damage, in the game it does the exact opposite, gives the car a lot of damage, and bounces you off in another direction when you hit it. Also, does anyone know if wind will be simulated? If so, it should play a good role in Formula A
Watch a few vids of cars hitting a tyre walls you notice there act differently depending angle, depth of tyres and speed there also different ways connecting them together. This makes it tricky to simulate as think how many tyres are. It much easier treat as solid-ish wall and free up processing power

Watch a few vids of cars hitting a tyre walls you notice there act differently depending angle, depth of tyres and speed there also different ways connecting them together. This makes it tricky to simulate as think how many tyres are. It much easier treat as solid-ish wall and free up processing power

Okei

Back