Race Car Super Lap: Red Bull Ring

• Thread starter JogoAsobi
  • 167 comments
It's cool mate, i can just get the laptop out and do it but i'm lazy :P It's just my PS3 browser that can't handle it thats all :cheers:

Its done, good point, not everyone has haul a$$ www connection. :cheers:

I already have a thread in my signature for onboard instructional videos.
Maybe I should do another one for non-instructional onboard videos at various tracks.

Well, post #45 is just my own preference on the characters of tracks.

For hot-lapping, free run etc., I like tracks with more complex bends (but good rhythm), e.g. Suzuka, Ascari,... and Nurburing of course. In these tracks, overtaking is difficult and dangerous (not to mention unfair penalty and crazy AIs etc). Maybe some people like the challenge, I don't. Running alone, it's easier to take my own line and enjoy the flow, not to worry about the threat of other moving obstacles.

OTOH, some other tracks are relatively simpler and generous in its width, like this Red Bull. When running alone, it's not as exciting as in tight battle. I find myself somewhat distracted in those long straights. 600pp is not fast enough, I feel it dull and keep waiting for the next corner. This will never happen in Suzuka, Ascari, Nurburing, or even Deep Forest, Trail Mountain. They all keep me busy and well focused.

In this track, maybe some people like the challenge of slashing 0.0x sec. per lap and keep progressing to the top of the list. Well, that's fine, but simply not for me.

For this Red Bull, I feel it'd be much better in faster cars. Or, it's wider and simpler bends are beneficial for hard competition because it's less risky in overtaking and/or taking different lines, which encouraging harder attacks.

One of my favorite track is Spa, it's good on both. Oh, it's not for slow cars, either.

Just my 2c. Anyone is free to disagree. Peace. :)

Last edited:
So much hate for one of my favorite cars. Yea, it might be ugly, but sometimes the ugliest of girls can dance like no other. ;) I love my 2J. :)

You know the saying "they all look the same in the dark" :)

Well with GT it's; "they all look the same in bumper view" ;)

I'm working my way through as many race cars as I have. Started with the Lupo Race Car ;) just to get a feel of the track.

I'm up to the GT300 cars at the minute and just scraping silver with no tuning.

It's been fun going faster with each one yet seeing your ranking getting worse every lap. :) ;)

I've found it a great teaching aid on a new track.

Setup to Chaparral 2J '70

600 PO / 506 HP

Suspension
65/45
12.80/11.40
5/7
4/9
5/7
0.0/0/0
-0.10/-0.30

Brakes
5/6

LSD
5/60/5

Gearbox
1 gear/ 1.498
2 gear/ 1.100
3 gear/ 0.885 3.940 V Max: 300

Weight
910kg
+89/0
Follow these setup, at the end I've god 499bhp not 506, but anyway I'll try it out

Ok, I did a solid 1:19:552 on my ds3, my tune,

600pp
493bhp
909kg
Weight distribution
47:53

65/50
12.45/11.30
4/7
4/8
5/8
0.0/0.0
-0.28/-11
Brake balance
5/7
Transmission
Max speed 300
2. 1.070
3. 0.870
Final gear
Drivetrain
7/60/7
Power limiter to
69.2%
Body
Ballast 88kg
+10 position!
Traction control OFF
ABS 1

I can shave from this driven time maybe -0.350/400 maximum I thing, just need to work on my last sector a bit, I miss the corner entry
Btw.ive changed oil so, if you do this tune and you're numbers are not as mine here just change you're oil.

Hope my setup will help!

Last edited:
got 1:22.9xx in the Toyota TS030, now going to try the 2J, dont like this washing machine, but will give it a try.

:gtpflag:

I haven't purchased a 2J yet, so I went with the Toyota TS030 Hybrid '12 - had to drop the power, of course. I stiffened up the suspension a bit, as I feel Red Bull Ring is smooth enough to handle it. I managed a 2nd lap time of 1:26.107 (not great, but good enough for Gold). My first lap I shot through the braking zone on the uphill right-hand turn (2nd corner, I think) and found myelf in the green stuff - DQ! Oh well, I'll have to tinker with my setup if I want to get my time down a bit.

EDIT: 1:24.148 (improved 2700 places) Fiddled with my suspension a bit more. Took two more laps and dropped almost 2 full seconds. I think I need to improve the gearbox for this car. Might be able to reach the power band quicker in 2nd & 3rd gears. As it is, I don't reach 5th gear on this short track. I think I need to watch some replays from the pro's!

A big problem for me, especially with 600PP and above is: my steering inputs aren't smooth. I jerk the wheel, I panic at the slightest slippage (and let off the throttle a tad). That will always tack on time that I can't afford.

Last edited:
1:23.662 and it's going to take a LOT of effort to try and knock much more off that time, for my current abilities. I checked for replay videos and unfortunately, the Top 10 is all 2J's, so I can't really match up and gleen much from those videos as I could if they were running the Toyota TS030 like me. Oh well...

I think my PS3 in possessed! Stupid thing froze at the finish line on my best lap, second time this has happened to me. I can't download replay's either, today was the first time I have been on this track and I need a guide to figure these corners out.

On a good note, improved a little bit to 1:19.662 before the gremlins struck.
I can't turn on the very tight corner with my GT-R R34 Touring car, LOL...
Not to disappoint you but I have changed my ps3 fat after giving me overheating issues. Tried to clean it and gave me YLOD. The console is really struggling when playing GT6 cause it utilizes 100% of the CPU and GPU subsystems and is easy to break the solders underneath RSX. Now I have a Super Slim which is literally unbreakable. Just keep it well ventilated. The older generation especially the fats are so sensitive... Keep it up!

For anyone who like me prefers to use a stock untuned car and avoids detuning stupidly fast cars, the Nomad Diablo is a relatively easy gold.

I can't turn on the very tight corner with my GT-R R34 Touring car, LOL...
Not to disappoint you but I have changed my ps3 fat after giving me overheating issues. Tried to clean it and gave me YLOD. The console is really struggling when playing GT6 cause it utilizes 100% of the CPU and GPU subsystems and is easy to break the solders underneath RSX. Now I have a Super Slim which is literally unbreakable. Just keep it well ventilated. The older generation especially the fats are so sensitive... Keep it up!

I have a super slim, I wrote what is happening wrong. My PS3 doesn't freeze, the game has frozen just a my car touches the finish line. At times I get a slight stop as I start a new lap, a few times it has stopped completely with the engine noise screaming and the car not moving. Really not fun when your looking at your fast lap ghost the the mirror and the game is frozen and can't register your lap.

Just did it in my R18, obviously not at 100% power. I fiddled with the setup a bit (even though I don't have that much of a clue what I'm doing!) and it seemed to drive pretty sweet with a DS3. 1:27.856, not bad, but not as fast as the Toyota TS030 I used on another profile.

I have a super slim, I wrote what is happening wrong. My PS3 doesn't freeze, the game has frozen just a my car touches the finish line. At times I get a slight stop as I start a new lap, a few times it has stopped completely with the engine noise screaming and the car not moving. Really not fun when your looking at your fast lap ghost the the mirror and the game is frozen and can't register your lap.

I'm sure this probably won't make a difference, but it's worth a shot if you frequently move your console around or disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable often. Can you try another HDMI cable? I know it is very rare that cables go bad, but I've had friends tell me they've had cables get damaged before. Again, if you've never unplugged your delicate HDMI cable or whatever, then it's not worth it.

This has happened to me numerous times throughout GT5....not so much in GT6 however. It was due to a corrupted ghost replay....change ghost and problem solved. Since we are not able to download our ghosts however due to the new ghost bug, really not sure what to make of it. Still could have something to do with it though since the ghosts are acting up. Anyways, that's what was happening in GT5 when what you describe here was happening.

currently 10th with 1:18.990 but @Tidgney is online so it will be very short lived :D

the setting used for this lap are:

2J
600pp
485bhp
891kg
Weight distribution
48:52

60/60
9.65/12.90
6/6
6/6
4/3
0.0/0.0
-0.04/-0.16
Brake balance
4/6
Transmission
Max speed 340
2. 0.900
3. 0.708
Fg
Drivetrain
5/20/5
Power limiter to
70.9%
Body
Ballast 70kg at 0

Just noticed that this is almost an exact copy of Praiano's tune except for the LSD and brake balance.. Point being, if you are going to use someone else's tune, you should give them the credit they deserve....even with the very minor changes you have made. Not trying to be an ass, but as a tuner myself, this is sort of a pet peeve of mine. So please, next time you copy a tune, give the author of the tune the credit they deserve.

EDIT: Unintentional double post, my apologies.

Just noticed that this is almost an exact copy of Praiano's tune except for the LSD and brake balance.. Point being, if you are going to use someone else's tune, you should give them the credit they deserve....even with the very minor changes you have made. Not trying to be an ass, but as a tuner myself, this is sort of a pet peeve of mine. So please, next time you copy a tune, give the author of the tune the credit they deserve.

EDIT: Unintentional double post, my apologies.
He didn't take any credit for the tune. But I agree if you post a tune based on somebody elses tune, then you should give credit to the original " Author of the tune " :) I'm sure he meant to thank Praiano for the base tune.;)
But I really don't think the Grand Master Praiano would be all that bothered , I think he may be above all that.:D

I too used a tune based on Praiano's, adjusted slightly with bits of Konnichiwa's and Rajman's. Many thanks for your contribution Gentlemen. If it wasn't for people like yourselves posting tunes then people like me wouldn't improve. Thanks to all who post tunes :bowdown:
:cheers:

Last edited:
Currently sitting at a 1:21.527, which is good for 30th TS030 and 433rd overall. I still have a bit more to wring out of the old beast too.

Also, just a little tip. If you changed the oil prior to putting the limiter on, let the oil wear out before you make another run. I got an extra 6 or 7 hp squeezed out after the oil ran out and I tuned it to 600 pp

Tune is here

Ok, I did a solid 1:19:552 on my ds3, my tune...

@Konnichiwa thanks for posting the tune! :bowdown:
I improved close to 1.5 sec over my previous time (used stock de-tuned 2J). :)
Now 1:21.235 Wheel/No aids/0 ABS.

Uploaded lap, and the tune I used...
@Tidgney, great time & thanks for sharing your replay, it will be good study! 👍
I think I might find a wee bit more time if I can learn the track better.

----------------------------
Little trivia for 2J drivers, IRL the 2J had 3-speed automatic trans. ;)
I used the paddles though. :sly:

Last edited:
He didn't take any credit for the tune. But I agree if you post a tune based on somebody elses tune, then you should give credit to the original " Author of the tune " :) I'm sure he meant to thank Praiano for the base tune.;)
But I really don't think the Grand Master Praiano would be all that bothered , I think he may be above all that.:D

I too used a tune based on Praiano's, adjusted slightly with bits of Konnichiwa's and Rajman's. Many thanks for your contribution Gentlemen. If it wasn't for people like yourselves posting tunes then people like me wouldn't improve. Thanks to all who post tunes :bowdown:
:cheers:

I never said he did now did I? Please understand what you read before making assumptions. I only said he should give credit where credit is due. Even though Praiano may not be bothered, its still the respectful thing to do.

Ok, I did a solid 1:19:552 on my ds3, my tune,

600pp
493bhp
909kg
Weight distribution
47:53

65/50
12.45/11.30
4/7
4/8
5/8
0.0/0.0
-0.28/-11
Brake balance
5/7
Transmission
Max speed 300
2. 1.070
3. 0.870
Final gear
Drivetrain
7/60/7
Power limiter to
69.2%
Body
Ballast 88kg
+10 position!
Traction control OFF
ABS 1

I can shave from this driven time maybe -0.350/400 maximum I thing, just need to work on my last sector a bit, I miss the corner entry
Btw.ive changed oil so, if you do this tune and you're numbers are not as mine here just change you're oil.

Hope my setup will help!
C'mon now, detuning to less than 70% to fit inside the rules ? I now it's allowed within the game but not exactly sporting. The GT500 cars or DTM were meant for this TT.

Back