race modification doesnt seem to have a purpose

• Thread starter euros only
  • 75 comments
No, the numbers are correct, because I didn't have any upgrades originally. Before race modification there were only stock parts. After the race modification, I went through and bought all performance upgrades except the chassis stiffening. I had heard about the upgrades not carrying through, but in my case, it added a lot of parts (added suspension, customizable gearing, added all chassis weight reduction, etc). I added level 3 engine tuning, intake options, exhaust options, and race soft tires. Again, there were no charged intake options (turbo/supercharger), which if available would have likely been a game changer. Oh well. 414hp and 1045kg...

Also, I forgot to mention that it topped out at 5 gears after the RM.

Today I'm going to extend the gearing to a higher top end to see if maybe it's an idiot-cevant with higher gearing ratios. Before its top end was maxing out at ~155mph or so maybe that acceleration power in corners will pay dividends in top end if I start playing around. I'm still disappointed in the power/weight though.

Maybe next time I'll just buy a used premade race car and I know it'll perform as it'll (sometimes) give the power/weight before you buy.

I tried High-Speed ring reverse with the ratios at 225 top speed. The car performed like it was on rails, and still beat the competition off the line (MR competition in expert series, so it was zondas, a 458, 430, etc). I'm actually starting to really like the car... I wish I could do a GT-R conversion, but they're not one of the few, the proud, the race-modifyable.

tl:dr : I'm starting to enjoy the NSX, though I still don't think the power/weight ratio is going to be enough to compete with the "real" JGTC/LM cars.

Edit/Update:
I ran the first round of GT World Championship (Circuit de Sarthe) and got demolished on the high speed parts, but managed to pull through by quickly hitting turns, and cheating at the last minute by taking shortcuts (the cheat was because I made a mistake and screwed up a turn that let the '69 ford mark IV and Zonda LM in front of me, so I had to take them back, as this car can't touch them).

Helpful evidence: When drafting, the car easily shot up into the 180s-190s range. On its own power, I can barely get it over the 160s if ever, and it's very slow to move up from 150mph. I believe that indicates that it's a function of the low horsepower.

Last edited:
So you're saying after the upgrades it still only has 415hp? That's weird. Did you make sure you installed them? Maybe it's a dumb question, but you can purchase them and not install them, so go back and double check.

I strongly recommend against Race Modifying the Acura NSX '91. Huge disappointment. I guess I did it in hopes that it would be as quick as some of the 3rd party race modded NSXs that I've driven in GT4. I'm hugely disappointed.

Max HP is 414 on only normal aspiration (no option for turbo or supercharger) with all upgrades. Final weight is 1045kg. I entered the Extreme Series MR race and won, only because the off-the-line speed was great, and it's handling is superb. On straightaways though, I was being passed every time by the enzo and '67 Lambo. Okay, not passed (as I blocked them), but was getting bumped into.

I must admit, for a short course, the car is superb, as it ducks and weaves into and out of corners beautifully even though I'm a mediocre driver, but on any course with a straightaway, such as Circuit de Sarthe (with chicanes), you'll be passed by supercars (200+) and above.

Not worth the $300k, and I feel like a dolt when I could have used that money for the subaru already race modded... Oh well. Time for some B-spec griding!

Well in GT2 the '91 Acura NSX got that same horsepower number 414hp, I remember that because I race modded just about every car I could in GT2. That one and the NSX(J) got around 451hp, making it a little more formidable. With race tires that NSX should be pretty tough contender, just watch out on high speed areas, but you should be able to out turn them. Makes for a great underdog car. I'm not buying a single premium until I snatch up my sought after standards, S7 being the highest on that list.

lol one last time. Yes. With all upgrades (installed), it topped 414hp. After using it a bit, I realize that for a JGTC style car, it's definitely competitive, and for LM it's competitive except in long straights (again, I'm pretty sure it just runs out of steam against the air resistance, as seen by its speeds quickly hitting 180-190 when drafting.).

I ended up using it to win the Gran Turismo World Championship. The only course that I had to block on (defensive driving) was Circuit du Sarthe. Everything after that I had a handful of seconds of lead time over the competition, including Nurnburgring even with its few long straights. I'm now just working my way up and trying to finish the rest of Pro events to unlock Extreme events.

For what its worth, I do feel that there is some additional honor in being successful with a car that you RMed yourself (sortof), especially if you used the car as a stock (or modded) original car, and then RMed it and kept winning more advanced races with it.

why are there not more German RM cars? Audi, Mercedes, BMW? the BMW M3 has such a Racing tradition how do you not make the new M3 a RM?

I was thinking the same thing super silly it seems to me. But, fully modded the e92 can turns some healthy laps on the ring' and I am short the 30k engine upgrade and 20k weight reduc.

iv'e RM'd the ZR1 and i strongly recommend it. I fully upgraded it after the 366k race mod and it really does perform.
Hits around 360km/h after a good tune on daytona and the indy and corners like a champ.
I also RM'd the Z06 i think it is? The other Corvette. Fully upgraded it and everything, just gotta tune it to my liking.
Haven't raced it yet but i will do soon and let y'all know.

Pretty lame list for RM'able cars. Why the hell would you want to RM a 2010 camaro. That things a boat and ugly as sin to boot.

It is a boat but one sexy piece of machinery....plus it would smoke your bimmer anyday :D and don't get me wrong, I love bimmers....I'm aiming for the BMW step program in a few months and plan on getting me an M3 as my next car.

111R is the only thing i drive, so much fun.

It isn't easy to win on tracks with long straights, but when you have plenty of corners you are always in with a chance.

The Evo IX RM is create for the Super GT series and just about any race that locked to Japan. I haven't tried the Silvia RM but the Evo handles awesome and I don't even have a tune on it yet since nobody has done one and I can't tune LOL!!

RMing cars defenitly has a purpose. i did it to my 2010 camaro RIGHT AWAY and was smoking people on stock power levels, then once i fully tuned it, adjusted the trans, aero and everything it was unbeatable. at 700HP and RMed i used it to beat the world challenge and a whole **** load of other races.

and i just did the 69 camaro. when i first got it i modded it to like 340HP then after the race mod it was like 412HP and it handled and performed SO MUCH better.

also, RMing cars adds brake upgrades (or at least visually)

I have a fully-tuned '69 Camaro and I love the look of it and how it sounds, feels .. I like that it is like trying to tame a beast when driving.

However, I do want to buy another '69 Camaro and RM it -- basically I want to RM most of the cars that have the option because I like it so much on my '10 Camaro SS as well. The handling, stability, cornering, it's like a completely different car.

Well worth it to RM the cars IMO. I just wish more cars had the options for it - hopefully in DLC.

Could you imagine a RM'ed R34 Skyline? :nervous::nervous::nervous:

I have been dreaming of a RM'd Skyline especially after seeing that FIA GT race on speed last night lol and if they have both the GT-R and the R34 in a dlc that will just be heaven :)

111R is the only thing i drive, so much fun.

It isn't easy to win on tracks with long straights, but when you have plenty of corners you are always in with a chance.

I find the trick is to watch the mirror, or rear view button since i use roof cam, be ready to dart into the air of anyone that over takes you and then get them on the next corner since you can brake so much later.

I'm wishing i hadn't bought all the upgrades before i found out that RMing the car does half of them. Now im thinking of buying a second 111r just so i can have a RM one and a plain old english white one :lol:

I have done 53.9xx on Tsukuba with the 111r and lapped people on Cote de Azeur in 6 laps. Keep in mind the hp was 450 in the server, my elise has 315hp weighing 720kg. I won 15 of the 16 times in that server by no less than 15sec. ahead.

Yes, but the cars back then were much less detailed. One wheel in GT5 is more detailed than an entire GT1/GT2 car.

I use the Silvia RM and so far it's the most complete, balanced car I've found. I just love driving it around the 'Ring.

RM-ing the Camaro SS (2010?) early on in the game provides EXCELLENT value!

It offers more bang-per-credit than the ZR1 imho :D

Back