SCC Old Timer Event - 1970 Ferrari 512S - Sun, Jan 03rd - 20:00 GMT * Event Complete*

• Thread starter jjaisli
  • 133 comments
Is this correct??? I thought I remembered Wayne leaving the lobby but maybe that was at Spa? But we started Riviera with 15 so maybe this makes sense?

1. AlanG
2. ChilledAnt
3. Firedshot
4. Turner_042
5. New_Soul
6. Shaggy_Alonso
7. SimcoeAce (Biggles)
8. jjaisli
9. Arvore
10. Frawe
11. Drivatar
12. eddietrout
13. Bullie77
14. Snazy20
15. DrSto1ner (DNF)

i was so keen for race 2,,,, but once your ps3 crashed i couldn't connect to you again.. will my luck i guess....

Here's Part III of Riviera

[YOUTUBEhd]<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TpOD7lIiYUw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TpOD7lIiYUw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBEhd]

Part III

At this point, the race is half way over, I realize Alang is far, far out of reach, as is likely Turner & probably New Soul. But I'm in 8th place, Arvore is ahead, Shaggy ahead of him and I'm hoping to consolidate myself in the 2nd half of the race and get into the top 4-5. Not to be.

0:14 - I did this completely to myself. Just clipping the curb and giving too much throttle put me off and spun me around. :dunce: At 0:19 *boom* right into the wall. :ouch: And here comes one of the real drawbacks of using a G25 with the H pattern shifter. Getting it into reverse, especially in a pressure situation is very tricky. What an absolute disaster. And it was completely of my own making. This sequence is so embarrassing, I almost didn't want to post it. But here it is. :irked: At 0:21 I am able to get it into reverse, but then I realize SimcoeAce is coming around the corner and behind me and I don't want to smash into him or him into me so I quickly lunge back into the Armco. I manage to get it back into reverse and back up. But then at 0:29, I realize too late that I haven't come out far enough. And even though I was giving full throttle, I couldn't spin the car and I end up right back in the same spot again. 🤬:banghead::rolleyes: And then I see Arvore is passing by and wait for him to go. At 0:35, I'm giving throttle but struggling to get the car into reverse. I think subconsciously I had my foot on the clutch while I was fighting to find reverse! I finally manage to do it (sloppy as hell) and at 0:44 AlanG comes by to lap me (for the record, Blue Flag only showed AFTER he was by and of course his name doesn't show on the interval timer so I had no clue he was coming. I'm glad there wasn't an incident here. What a nightmare! From start to finish, including the time I spent sliding and accelerating, I probably lost close to 30 seconds. :guilty: Of course, had this been a real race, it would have been 'game over' from the 0:19 mark.

0:48 - from this point forward, I'm so aggravated that I've been lapped only half way through the race (and just assumed that Stoner/Turner/Firedshot are close behind) and don't want to have to compromise my race making way so I head off, full bore, after Alan foolishly determined to match his pace and ride his draft all the way to the finish. And I think I nearly did. :cool: For about 45 seconds. :irked: At that point, assuming lapping cars would soon be closing, I switched to bonnet cam to make them easier to spot. Talk about resigning. LOL

3:02 - Sorry Frawe--totally my fault. You braked earlier than I was expecting. I held back for a long time after to make sure you were able to get a good run. No lag caused this.

3:42 - Screen Lag again but I didn't lose too much time, if any.

3:58 - Freeze! Starting at this sequence right here, it honestly looked like Frawe was going to smash head on into the barrier and I let off the brake and committed myself to the corner. At 4:00 I realize somehow Frank was able to brake in time and make the corner but he was on the curb, possibly rubbing the armco and going slowly and I thought I had the momentum to slice in there in front of him. But riding the curb a bit on the inside of this corner put me off and there was contact. LOL It's 1994 Adelaide all over again and this time I'm Damon Hill. :( I'm not sure how Frawe saw it but as he was able to get back in front I just kept going. If he had smashed the wall, I would have waited.

5:33 - Freeze! This time I did realize Frawe was behind me so I committed myself but I thought he might still have a nose inside me so I tried hard to give room. At 5:38, I hear a car skidding and I thought maybe I had side swiped him after bouncing off the wall so I backed off and slowed down, expecting to see him come spinning by me out of control. At 5:41 he comes shooting past and I realize it was probably unnecessary to wait but better to be safe I suppose. My race was totally screwed at this point anyway.

6:00 - more screen lag again. This time to disastrous effect.

7:33 - a bit of cat and mouse through the high speed section but this time Frawe knocks me. LOL No worries. Alright Arvore, I'm coming.

9:00 - I'm more comfortable driving in dash view. But switching views is always rough and it puts me off for a few seconds until I can readjust. Case in point.

9:24 - Lapping Snazzy20. Again. (I know how you feel).

(3:02) No problem. You waited and I didnt loose my position at this time.

(3:58) I was a little bit too late on the brake for the inside of the corner. Fortunately I was able to avoid contact and let the car wide on the curbs. You took the inside and gave me a touch as your back of the car hit me. My car was a little bit shaky after this. You can see it as I try to stabilize it.

(5:33) No contact between us. My car slided a bit. We were side by side and I tried to avoid contact and steered more to the left side. Thats the cause of the skidding noise you heard.

(7:33) You passed me and ruined my actor career in this video:lol:

Your frame stutters reminds me on my race at Mont Tremblant. At least I gave up because these stutters in nearly every corner made driving impossible. I know how you felt at Riviera.

Here's Part III of Riviera

[YOUTUBEhd]<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TpOD7lIiYUw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TpOD7lIiYUw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBEhd]

Part III

0:14 - I did this completely to myself. Just clipping the curb and giving too much throttle put me off and spun me around. :dunce: At 0:19 *boom* right into the wall. :ouch: And here comes one of the real drawbacks of using a G25 with the H pattern shifter. Getting it into reverse, especially in a pressure situation is very tricky. What an absolute disaster. And it was completely of my own making. This sequence is so embarrassing, I almost didn't want to post it. But here it is. :irked: At 0:21 I am able to get it into reverse, but then I realize SimcoeAce is coming around the corner and behind me and I don't want to smash into him or him into me so I quickly lunge back into the Armco. I manage to get it back into reverse and back up. But then at 0:29, I realize too late that I haven't come out far enough. And even though I was giving full throttle, I couldn't spin the car and I end up right back in the same spot again. 🤬:banghead::rolleyes: And then I see Arvore is passing by and wait for him to go. At 0:35, I'm giving throttle but struggling to get the car into reverse. I think subconsciously I had my foot on the clutch while I was fighting to find reverse! I finally manage to do it (sloppy as hell) and at 0:44 AlanG comes by to lap me (for the record, Blue Flag only showed AFTER he was by and of course his name doesn't show on the interval timer so I had no clue he was coming. I'm glad there wasn't an incident here. What a nightmare! From start to finish, including the time I spent sliding and accelerating, I probably lost close to 30 seconds. :guilty: Of course, had this been a real race, it would have been 'game over' from the 0:19 mark

hi mate :) your disaster with the spin and subsequent losing of the plot trying to sort it cracked me up!

not in a derogatory manner though, absolutely the opposite in fact. i bet we've all done it, i certainly have

when it happens, it just seems to get worse and worse the more you flap :lol:

a very nice drive imo, SCC 👍

hi mate :) your disaster with the spin and subsequent losing of the plot trying to sort it cracked me up!

not in a derogatory manner though, absolutely the opposite in fact. i bet we've all done it, i certainly have

when it happens, it just seems to get worse and worse the more you flap :lol:

a very nice drive imo, SCC 👍

Hi Paul!

I can certainly see the humor in it after the fact. 👍:) But at the time, between the screen freezes, my own mistakes and just some rather bad circumstances, this was just an awful race. Of course, little did I know what was coming...

Stop in and join us some time. :) :cheers:

I'm just waiting for the first (and only) video of Spa to finish processing. I don't think I will bother posting the rest because I had a lot of black screen and/or static and there just wasn't much interesting happening after the first few laps.

Race II - Spa

[YOUTUBEhd]<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-HTzwoPzMO4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-HTzwoPzMO4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBEhd]

I had a poor start with a lot of wheelspin so I short shifted into 2nd and it allowed Alan to close up and he could have easily passed me here.

0:37 - Amazing how much speed I pick up in the draft behind Bullie.

0:44 - My car is a little unstable over the curb but I took a wide line going in because I wasn't sure how close Bullie was and putting just a little power down and I go wide. Ridiculous really. It's my own fault but I think the car behavior and physics here is really wacky. :irked:

2:02 - Lifting off to avoid running into Shaggy (treacherous to pass there) It's amazing and I think quite realistic how loose the car gets, something I think IS quite realistic. 👍

2:17 - Sorry Arvore - you were just going slower than I realized here. :embarrassed: And no, I will not turn on the braking zones. :)

2:35~2:39 - Oh dear. Nothing to see here, move along. :D

2:50 - Lift and let weight shift to the outside...ARGH--what the... :irked:

2:52 - You can hear me struggling against the G25's force feedback motors trying to straighten out.

3:01 - Waiting for the field to go by...hey...where is everybody? :lol:

3:39 - I think I had two wheels off the ground at this point. Ridiculous. And up to 3:42 you can hear me fighting the wheel--pretty funny.

4:20 - Freeze. This was my own fault and avoidable. But it's easy to forget just how strong the effects of the draft are. I short shift about 500 rpm early and only apply 50% throttle and I'm just sucked right up Shaggy's backside. I lifted and went left but just a little twitch from both of us and we touched. I'm completely to blame here. But I will say, the 512S is not really the easiest car for close side by side racing. Not by a longshot. :indiff:

4:42 - I was a little distracted looking to see if Arvore was going to put a move on me in the braking zone and simply missed my braking point. (And no, I'm not going to allow ABS). :cool:

4:53 - After getting a penalty (I had forgotten that--I thought all of my penalties were at Eau Rouge) I try to make the most of it and hold my position and just put down too much power and oversteered right onto the grass. :ill: And no, I'm not going to allow traction control. :lol:

5:10 - I switch back to cockpit view for the next run up Radillion to help me find a better line. :cool:

5:23 - It doesn't help. :rolleyes: And no, I'm not going to allow stability control. :lol:

5:48 - From this point, I try very, VERY hard not to touch ANY curbs. At least for another 75 seconds.

7:15 - No Arvore, you're not going to get me this time with the patented "Mont Tremblant Defend-the-Line Manoeuver" again! :cool: Ha-Hah!!!! All the same, I switch views at 7:26 so I can get a better view for where you are going (or coming) around the hairpin. ;) In cockpit view you can't see a THING behind you. They really need to change that.

7:44 - One of only 2 times I hit it right the entire race. But it was clear I was losing time to Shaggy in front.

9:23 - ARGH!!!! STAY OFF THE CURBS!!!!

2'38 - That's exactly why it should be penalties 'Off When Penalised' !!

Ah, it was off with penalty. I probably would have risked taking the normal line at speed. They really should have come up with a better system for this. For example, the car could become slightly transparent when penalised, and for the final 1 second could flash from half-transparent to fully opaque. Easy.

Yeah I know. But I mean the reason to avoid even a flagged car is that it could suddenly appear back as normal, possibly even inside a passing car, resulting in a big crash - there is no warning to other cars as to when the penalty will finish.

In GT5P, the car becomes ghosted under a penalty, and flashes for around 1 second before going back to normal.

That was some brilliant racing this evening. That's what Toca Race Driver 3 was like all the time! Everybody is showing a strong pace, so it looks like being a tough event.

What I'm seeing now with this car is that once somebody in front of you has some consistency, it is very difficult to overtake, especially at Virginia.

Also, for anybody who was not there, we did reverse grid order (or reverse-skill for a few), so with probably faster users to the back, and it worked very well - it actually produced some really good races. I'm not saying we should use this for the event. But just making the point that reverse grid order, when trying to make exciting races, can work if everybody has the same mindset, which we all had!

Last edited:
Part IV

[YOUTUBehd]<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZJ-adtdZu30&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZJ-adtdZu30&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBEhd]

Final Part of Riviera

0:34 - Some Screen Lag again! I suffered this the entire race and it was making me nuts.

1:04 - Freeze! At this point I wasn't sure if Arvore had simply missed his braking or was actually letting me pass but I immediately jumped on it. At 1:06, I can hear brakes squealing and thought back to the the 250LM race at Misano where I knocked Frawe off. Again I was hesitating, just not sure. But because I wasn't sure, I ultimately decided it was best to simply let Arvore through again and I slowed down at 1:12.

1:37 - Again, I'm not sure if Arvore is letting me by but there's just no room to go by there and I wasn't sure of his intentions. Then at 1:41 he slows again but starts to drift over to the right side of the track. I was totally confused and didn't know what he was doing. :confused: At 1:45 he accelerates and I then assumed he wasn't trying to let me through and maybe just had a moment. At 1:50 I'm not sure if he was letting me through or just had a bad line but either way I took it.

2:30 - The only thing on my mind at this point was that there was NO way I could allow SimcoeAce to put one over on me and I HAD to pass him before the end of the race or I'd never hear the end of it. :cool:

4:24 - More screen lag. And I almost completely lost control of the car as a result. And all I was thinking was 🤬 ARGH! Biggles is getting away! At 4:51 I started the final lap, very much doubtful I would catch him but was determined to try. But realistically, having been lapped by AlanG, this is lap which NEVER should have taken place anyway. Well, no matter. If I can catch Biggles, I'll take it. Screw the rules. LOL

5:19 - The frozen scream. With sound. It took about 2 full seconds to realize this one wasn't going to stop. I let it go for a while in the hope of allowing others to finish the race although I wasn't sure if it would make a difference. This was the fist time my PS3 ever froze during the middle of an online race. What a mess. :crazy: I wonder if all the screen lag was leading up to it. :irked:

5:53 - Shadow puppets. LOL

I'm just publishing the first 4 laps of Spa. The quality is so bad that YouTube won't even let me upload it in 720p. After those four laps, I'm not sure how much more I'll get but it won't be until much later this weekend. :)

:gtpflag:

I couldn't watch this one Jeff says it's private video...

That was some brilliant racing this evening. That's what Toca Race Driver 3 was like all the time! Everybody is showing a strong pace, so it looks like being a tough event.

What I'm seeing now with this car is that once somebody in front of you has some consistency, it is very difficult to overtake, especially at Virginia.

Also, for anybody who was not there, we did reverse grid order (or reverse-skill for a few), so with probably faster users to the back, and it worked very well - it actually produced some really good races. I'm not saying we should use this for the event. But just making the point that reverse grid order, when trying to make exciting races, can work if everybody has the same mindset, which we all had!

I even won one race :dopey: ... at Montreal :dopey: ... with Alan finishing second :dopey: ... and new_soul third :dopey: ...

LOL, those two were so busy with each other that all I had to do mostly was to take the car home safe. Thx guys :)

Alan, I didn't go for "Skill Level (Reverse)" because I don't trust the skill rating in SCC (again, and sorry if this gets annoying, but TRD3 was again the best about rating. Two ratings to be precise, one overall, one for each particular discipline).

So, when you had to leave and it was up to me to open a lobby I did a short qualify race in a oval and from then on it was always "Race Position (Reverse)". And, Jeff I can now confirm that this setting refers to the finishing positions of the last race only. 👍

Back