SimCity V: Coming March 5!

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 336 comments
I might just give this a look. I loved SimCity 2000, and raced out to buy Sim City 4 - only to discover that I was terrible at it. My city would get to about 25,000 people before collapsing in on itself (kind of like in the old SimTower, where your population could disappear overnight). I've since found out that there was a glitch in the game that prevented certain tile sets from ever being seen. This was a problem because your city would get to the point where the new tile sets would normally come in - but because the glitch prevented them from being used, the game would assume the buildings were no longer sustainable, and urban blight would spread like a virus.

I also Loved Sim City 2000 and Sim Tower. That era I feel was at their peak with Sim Farm and Sim Safari etc but I have only bought Sims 2 since then. Sim City 5 looks kinda worrying to me. The trailers where pretty cool but I think they have dumbed it down and the graphics don't look at that great. Like how they ruined the Sims with number 3.

I think the problem with 4 was that it was a little too concerned with micro-management. You had to regularly space commercial areas relative to residential space, or else the residents couldn't get to work because it was too far away, and while that logic does make sense, the system was very restrictive.

If you check out the official website for the game, there's a series of videos explaining how the new Glass Box simulation engine works. The game takes control of a lot of the micro-management for you - you simply have to be connect points using roads for it to work. It sounds a lot more intuitive. And the inclusion of "Ploppable" buildings gives you a lot more control over the direction your city takes.

I'm getting a bit hyped about this game. I've always liked Sim City. :)

Heck yes! Man I can't wait for this game. My first Sim City was on the Super NES, which I loved, then I later got Sim City 4 and it was great as well. Really looking forward to this next installment.

My hype for this game is fading quickly the more I read into it. Small populations, small buildable areas that just abruptly end, & in some shots, way too much congestion of sims & cars that don't look realistic.

Becoming very glad I picked up SC4 on Steam recently. If this flops, that game's community will continue on.

Game looks good, but the online requirement kills it for me.

Yup.

No sub-station network advertised or promoted to my knowledge too.

I love sandbox-simulation games but most definitely not for online purposes. Minecraft, Rollercoaster Tycoon and SimCity are games that I enjoy by myself really.

I understand there's an offline-mode and blah-blah-blah but the way they've hyped the game makes me think they could have spent more time in different areas.

Meh, the online thing doesn't bug me. I play quite a few games that require you to be connected to the Internet to play.

I rather like the look of the new SimCity. Sure the city size tiles aren't the biggest, but it looks like you can play multiple cities at a time and switch on the fly so I'm not to bothered. I'll be getting the game day 1 for sure.

The online requirement is quite a pain, not for me really but my Nephew who loves Sim City hasn't got a permanent internet connection due to shifting living arrangements.

Like McLaren I am also concerned about the small populations and cities, it seems they want to model each citizen and the traffic, because of this they have to sacrifice size and quantity.

I am OK will the online only its just the other system requirements that worry me. My GPU isn't exactly punchy (its s**t Radeon HD 5450). Cant upgrade it either I had a look inside my PC and the card is right up against a small heat sink on the mobo. I will never know why they put that and a Intel i7 together.

Source for system requirements
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...etails-system-requirements-multiplayer-engine

I'd much rather have a human-made family in my own SimCity and have a population of 1,000,000 than have all the families viewable.

Really disappointed. Quantity is what I love. 1000 people is a flipping small town size. Hardly a city.

I'm not a fan of how they have made it all cartoony. Would have been cool if it was photo realistic. 4 looked much more like a real city.

I don't really like how the cities just stop either. The boundaries look really unnatural.

I'd much rather have a human-made family in my own SimCity and have a population of 1,000,000 than have all the families viewable.

Really disappointed. Quantity is what I love. 1000 people is a flipping small town size. Hardly a city.

Is this true? 1000 max population?

I'm not a fan of how they have made it all cartoony. Would have been cool if it was photo realistic. 4 looked much more like a real city.

Agree, but looks is secondary to gameplay. I hope they haven't gone the childish route on that though.

Is this true? 1000 max population?

I don't remember seeing that number anywhere specifically in all I've read about the game, but judging by how small the cities look in the screens/videos I've seen that could well be the case. I think there are a few reasons for that based on the direction they've taken. The way that each individual person is being simulated is much deeper than in previous games. I imagine that game performance would start to become an issue very quickly beyond that limit especially for the casual and citybuilder market that they are targeting who may not have the beefiest hardware. It also seems that with this game they really want to focus on the economics and other interactions between cities, so they would want you to work on a network of multiple smallish cities. Had a look around the simcity official forums real quick and there seem to be some pretty vocal core fans who are pretty upset about how the game is shaping up.

It's the first I've noticed how small everything does seem to look, but I wasn't really planning on buying this anyway.

I don't remember seeing that number anywhere specifically in all I've read about the game, but judging by how small the cities look in the screens/videos I've seen that could well be the case. I think there are a few reasons for that based on the direction they've taken. The way that each individual person is being simulated is much deeper than in previous games. I imagine that game performance would start to become an issue very quickly beyond that limit especially for the casual and citybuilder market that they are targeting who may not have the beefiest hardware. It also seems that with this game they really want to focus on the economics and other interactions between cities, so they would want you to work on a network of multiple smallish cities. Had a look around the simcity official forums real quick and there seem to be some pretty vocal core fans who are pretty upset about how the game is shaping up.

It's the first I've noticed how small everything does seem to look, but I wasn't really planning on buying this anyway.

That is quite conserning to me. Hopefully the depth of economics etc. will counter it.

Back