Spyker Declared Bankrupt. Update: Declared Null

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 50 comments

FoRiZon

(Banned)
Singapore
Singapore
Eccentric Dutch firm Spyker is formally out of business after a court lifted bankruptcy protection measures. The company joins Weismann, Gumpert andTVR on the roster of failed modern supercar makers.

Victor Muller, the former lawyer who re-established the company from nothing in 2000, has nevertheless insisted that he still has ambitions in the automotive world, adding that some ‘daring ventures’ – primarily the company’s acquisition of Saab in 2010 – were largely to blame for Spyker’s downfall. The bankruptcy of a tier-one supplier integral to production of the £194,000 C8 Aileron was another painful blow to the business.

The last time Spyker made news was after a Porsche 911-rivalling B6 Venator was revealed at the 2013 Geneva motor show, complete with a 375bhp V6 engine and a projected £95,000 price tag. The optimistic concept was intended to reinvigorate the company, but it only shielded a harsher reality. It’s alleged that only three cars, with a combined value of 700,000 euros, were sold in 2012.

Despite a convoluted and ultimately unsuccessful corporate history, however, to evo Spyker has always been purely about the cars. Realising complex aviation-inspired designs and opulent interiors that would impress even Horatio Pagani, the supercar landscape will be a less interesting place without it.

In its short life Spyker raced at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, teamed up with Zagato and, in lieu of dynamic prowess, commanded respect through sheer force of personality. This gallery shows the cars that put the brand on the map.

Genesis, however, for modern day Spyker is the C8 Spyder. It’s the car on which every subsequent model has been based and packed an Audi-sourced atmospheric 4.2-litre V8 with 395bhp when it made its world debut at the Birmingham motor show in 2000.

A Getrag six-speed manual sending power to the rear wheels and a claimed kerb weight of a ton made it an exciting proposition (it was, and remains, a tricky car to drive fast, with no traction control or brake servo) even before you considered the design.

And what a design. With marine and aviation cues all over the bodywork, the C8 wasn’t conventionally pretty, but quilted leather, a milled aluminium dashboard and an exposed gear linkage akin to the street legal Porsche GT1’s (but far more pleasing to the eye) gave it cult status. Tooling costs must have been horrendous, but the result is a cabin that truly makes a Veyron seem a little commonplace.

http://www.evo.co.uk/spyker/14853/spyker-declared-bankrupt-the-cars-in-pictures
So there, last year those three gone bankrupt and now this. Condolence to the workers though.

http://www.evo.co.uk/spyker/14853/spyker-declared-bankrupt-the-cars-in-pictures
So there, last year those three gone bankrupt and now this. Condolence to the workers though.

Sad indeed, but it had to happen. Spyker's "bold ventures" cost them dearly. They tried to revive Saab, and that flopped. They tried to get in F1, and that flopped. They tried to sell supercars, and that too flopped.

Doesn't hurt any less knowing that though. Spyker was the Dutch Pagani, perhaps even crazier than them. One could never accuse their cars of being unoriginal. Much like the wacky 3 (TVR, Gumpert and Weismann) in fact. My dearest condolences to the workers and their families. Let's hope the exisiting Spykers on the road can at least fly the once mighty flag of Spyker...

Last edited:
Wasn't the TVR supposed to be revived?

Anyway, it's sad to see Spyker down, but I'm not surprised about it, as this is the second year they haven't sold even 1 car.

First Saleen, now Spyker. I use the S7 and C8 often in GT6. Maybe I should stop driving my Gallardo...

Kinda sad to see Spyker go. :indiff: Their cars were striking and never ceased to impress me. But that's the business, I suppose... Finger's crossed that Donkervoort's going to stay around, at least.
First Saleen, now Spyker. I use the S7 and C8 often in GT6. Maybe I should stop driving my Gallardo...
Don't worry, VW won't go out of business any time soon ;)

Wasn't the TVR supposed to be revived?

Anyway, it's sad to see Spyker down, but I'm not surprised about it, as this is the second year they haven't sold even 1 car.
I think TVR is dormant right now, but that a revival is planned. They just won't reveal any information on the reboot.

Always the way with small sports car makers, happened to TVR and Saleen and now Spyker, it's inevitable with any new car company that focuses on sports car from the beginning.

Nyeh. I've always loved Spyker back in the day, especially the C8 Laviolette from GT4. Played the heck out of that car. :D

Well, when you keep designing ugly interiors like that, you're bound to go bankrupt.

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, I find it ugly too actually but it still looks quite... can't find a word... ah, yes it looks INTERESTING

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, I find it ugly too actually but it still looks quite... can't find a word... ah, yes it looks INTERESTING
Not to mention, if you noticed, its the same style as the Pagani Huayra. And Pagani didnt go bankrupt because of it.

Not to mention, if you noticed, its the same style as the Pagani Huayra. And Pagani didnt go bankrupt because of it.

It's not as simple as you say it is, chap.

Pagani gets a lot of positive attention, and people are more likely to invest or buy things from Pagani than invest or buy from a failing company like Spyker. (Sadly. :indiff:)

It's not as simple as you say it is, chap.

Pagani gets a lot of positive attention, and people are more likely to invest or buy things from Pagani than invest or buy from a failing company like Spyker. (Sadly. :indiff:)
Well i was talking about interior, not overall business. But Spyker did get a considerate amount of interest considering it the only auto company from holland and its participation in motorsports.

But Spyker did get a considerate amount of interest considering it the only auto company from holland

It isn't. It might not be a well-known brand outside Europe, but Donkervoort was founded in 1978, has been a financially healthy company ever since, and each year they seem to build and sell more cars than Spyker.

m1gy2dgbmsws_600.jpg

Also, there are a number of rather small companies such as Burton, Saker, HB Brothers and a couple others.

It isn't. It might not be a well-known brand outside Europe, but Donkervoort was founded in 1978, has been a financially healthy company ever since, and each year they seem to build and sell more cars than Spyker.

m1gy2dgbmsws_600.jpg

Also, there are a number of rather small companies such as Burton, Saker, HB Brothers and a couple others.

But Donkervoort is different. They make more exciting cars, interior and exterior, while Spyker dwelled on just the Laviolette, or at least it´s their best known one. Donkervoort is just different, their cars are radical designed and that is what makes them.

But Donkervoort is different. They make more exciting cars, interior and exterior, while Spyker dwelled on just the Laviolette, or at least it´s their best known one. Donkervoort is just different, their cars are radical designed and that is what makes them.

And yet it is indeed also from the Netherlands....

Also, who says Holland anymore?

I'm not seeing how a rebodied Super Seven is any more exciting or radical than the C8 was.

I'm not seeing how a rebodied Super Seven is any more exciting or radical than the C8 was.
I meant tue Body style Not exactly the ride. And come on donkervoort is optical much more radical than spyker.

And yet it is indeed also from the Netherlands....

Also, who says Holland anymore?
In a country that is known for it's coffee shops it's no wonder that the really create something like that.:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
@JackGTP : I've merged your posts, but please use the +Quote button next time if you want to quote more than one member in your reply.

Helps keep the thread uncluttered.

Thank you.

I know nothing of Spyker from their aircraft days. I do, however, consider the Spyker C8 series among one of my favorite supercars of the 2000s. I even recall the good old "Spyker Squad" run some races in the GT/Sportscar/Endurance realm. Sad seeing this company go under like this. Then too, Spyker been defunct for decades before making this return in the 2000s.

Back